The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

truecoat

Oh, you're a fan too?!? :D

It's such a good movie. The all-star cast is perfect; Dean Martin as the pilot, Jacqueline Bisset as the chief stewardess, Helen Hayes as the stowaway, George Kennedy chomping that cigar, etc., etc.

Yes, I also was a fan of the Airplane spoof a full decade later. But the original Airport from 1970 is must-see TV every winter in my home.

TP2000 Fun Fact: I have the Airport opening credits soundtrack loaded from iTunes. You can just feel the drama building in that music. If a friend ever asks me to drive them to the airport, as we approach the terminal I play the opening credits music from Airport and turn up the volume. Because I have smart friends, they'll recognize the song and yell "STOP IT! THAT'S NOT WHAT I WANT TO HEAR!" before I can drop them off at ticketing. 🤣

I watched many of these as a kid.

Animaniac93-98

Bring back this sign:

1643083427065.png

CaptinEO

Becasue they want to have their cake and eat it too. They want to appear to be inclusive but also still appeal to the mainstream. Because they think we re stupid
This is actually the case. There are plenty of actual films in existence with gay characters who are major parts of the actual plot or are protagonists of films. There have been strong gay films for decades. The 1990s had quite a few of of these.

Disney 30 years later including a man holding a man's hand for half a second in the live action Beauty and the Beast or two girls kissing in Star Wars, doesn't do anything to advance the cause. It's like boasting about doing the bare minimum to pretend you care.

There's nothing ground breaking or even committed about these "moments" that are quickly inserted into a shot for the twitter reaction.

Both these scenes are not in most international releases of these films by the way.

In 1997 Disney had a major star of their sitcom come out as gay on air. That's some actual commitment. What they do now is throwing some scraps to the LGBTQ folks.

TP2000

This is actually the case. There are plenty of actual films in existence with gay characters who are major parts of the actual plot or are protagonists of films. There have been strong gay films for decades. The 1990s had quite a few of of these.

Disney 30 years later including a man holding a man's hand for half a second in the live action Beauty and the Beast or two girls kissing in Star Wars, doesn't do anything to advance the cause. It's like boasting about doing the bare minimum to pretend you care.

There's nothing ground breaking or even committed about these "moments" that are quickly inserted into a shot for the twitter reaction.

Both these scenes are not in most international releases of these films by the way.

In 1997 Disney had a major star of their sitcom come out as gay on air. That's some actual commitment. What they do now is throwing some scraps to the LGBTQ folks.

Kind of not related, but kind of is... At a dinner party this weekend the topic of all the TV commercials mostly featuring Black people came up. Now before any Official Good People here throw a tantrum at the thought of a tony OC dinner party of Deplorables discussing Blacks, the topic was brought up by the (very) Black retired lawyer sitting to the right of the hostess.

Black folks make up 13% of the American population. But on TV now it seems like they make up at least 50% of the actors and acrtresses in TV commercials. There's this thought that it's "their time", and yet the older Black gentleman at the party brought up the topic because he was so saddened to hear that the young generation of Blacks thinks they invented Black people on TV. That no Black person ever was allowed to appear on TV until Obama became President in '08 and they enrolled in college in 2010.

They apparently have no idea that Blacks started starring in their own network TV shows in the late 1960's, and by the 1970's they had entire blocks of network lineups of Black starring shows. By the mid 1980's the number 1 rated show in the country, the sitcom that literally invented the term "Must See TV!", was the all-Black Cosby Show.

To throw in a Disneyland reference here and at the party, I chimed in with a favorite episide of the Dick Van Show from about 1964. Laura Petrie (Mary Tyler Moore) had just had her baby, and Rob Petrie (Van ) was convinced that the hospital switched their baby with another family named Peters. Rob tracked down the other parents and insisted they come over to sort their babies out, and this TV magic happened.... You can just hear the 1964 audience gasp, and then realize it was okay to laugh, and then laugh more and applaud their approval. In 1964. Back when we could all laugh at ourselves. And all done with such style and class. 🤣

Last edited:

TP2000

Just my input but as a younger person I think my generation has really destigmatized men being more feminine / not traditionally masculine. I am not masculine at all, I am a tall but lanky twink as @TP2000 would say with long hair whose main interests are fashion and music. I'm soft spoken (unless I need to be stern / confident when speaking like at work) and am not very muscular or into "manly things" like I hate sports (except skateboarding / snowboarding). I don't see it as a continued emasculation, I think it's Hollywood trying to present what is a more accurate representation of young men today. Older generations will definitely see an issue with this "feminization" of men because they had different gender roles and societal expectations of how men should act. I'm not saying one way is right and one is wrong, just my two cents. Obviously there are still plenty of traditionally masculine men in my generation and in younger people in general, I just think it's more widely accepted for guys to have more "feminine" traits and interests and for women to have more "masculine" traits and interests.

I can't really speak on Encanto as a whole since I was asleep for half of it but when I was watching I genuinely didn't think anything was out of the ordinary, I honestly felt like in a way it was a more accurate representation of people nowadays rather than every guy being the big strong knight in shining armor to save the day. I'm not trying to state how movies should be or what society should expect of men, just my observations of how people act now and what younger generations see as there has been a big push in our generation to remove the association with a specific gender to traits and activities and instead just have it depend on the individual.

This was an interesting thought you brought up, I will have it in the back of my mind when I do go back and watch Encanto without falling asleep from exhaustion.

I love this insight. It's fascinating.

Not in direct response to your post here, but to the general thought in this thread that "Men aren't what they used to be", I have to agree with that sentiment.

The young men of the 2020's are noticeably... less manly. I'm not talking about fashion or haircuts or who they date. I'm talking about body composition. The average 18 to 25 year old man today is softer looking. Flabbier. Blobbier. Less developed and far less toned than they were just a few decades ago. You can tell just by looking at them, especially at their jawlines and waistlines and shoulders. At least those of us who remember what young men looked like in the 20th century can tell. Most of the young guys today are... womanly instead of manly.

The drop in testosterone levels over the past few decades among most American young men has been well documented scientifically, but mostly ignored by today's media. And it's a huge problem. But because it affects men, it appears to be of no concern to anyone in media or politics. That's interesting in itself.

And then there's this little 60 second News clip from 1962 I've posted below. Exactly sixty years ago, when scientific data show the average 18 year old American male had much higher testosterone levels than their 2022 counterpart. This is at La Sierra High School (Go Lions!) in Fullerton, just a few miles north of Disneyland. The imagery is almost shocking to today's eye. And the culture of open competition, where individual performance was called out by the color of gym shorts you were allowed to wear, would be forbidden today where everyone wins a trophy just for showing up.

But it was all commissioned and approved by JFK's Presidential Committee on Physical Fitness. It was un-American to be soft and flabby and lazy. But it's the visual differences in these high school boys bodies that is so indicative of the changes American men have gone through in the last 60 years.....

Last edited:

TP2000

Have we talked about this? The Howard Johnson is adding a "House of the Future" suite. I know where I want to stay on my next visit.

Uh, nooooooo.... We haven't talked about this! It's fabulous. And hysterical. I love it! 😍

Why is it that the Howard Johnson's on Harbor has such a knack for zooming in on true Disneyland fans?!? They've got the famous Mattercam, even though the Disneyland Hotel could do that, with a Grizzlycam from the Grand Californian. (But they don't, because.... Legal Department? Rules? Guidelines? Red Tape? Clueless TDA execs with their heads up...)

The HOJO also always play up their Mid Century Mod credentials and Disneyland history.

But now this?!? I want to stay there just for fun. I could just stay in this room and get Mimi's next door to deliver me dinner and I'd be thrilled.

Meanwhile, here's a big (and expensive) Ashley Home Store Circa 2008 Suite at the Paradise Pier Hotel.... :rolleyes:

DUpphroom03_640.jpg

Check out the 32 inch TV! And if you stand on the coffee table, you can see the top of the Golden Zephyr! 😴

Last edited:

smooch

Not in direct response to your post here, but to the general thought in this thread that "Men aren't what they used to be", I have to agree with that sentiment.

The young men of the 2020's are noticeably... less manly. I'm not talking about fashion or haircuts or who they date. I'm talking about body composition. The average 18 to 25 year old man today is softer looking. Flabbier. Blobbier. Less developed and far less toned than they were just a few decades ago. You can tell just by looking at them, especially at their jawlines and waistlines and shoulders. At least those of us who remember what young men looked like in the 20th century can tell. Most of the young guys today are... womanly instead of manly.

The drop in testosterone levels over the past few decades among most American young men has been well documented scientifically, but mostly ignored by today's media. And it's a huge problem. But because it affects men, it appears to be of no concern to anyone in media or politics. That's interesting in itself.

And then there's this little 60 second News clip from 1962 I've posted below. Exactly sixty years ago, when scientific data show the average 18 year old American male had much higher testosterone levels than their 2022 counterpart. This is at La Sierra High School (Go Lions!) in Fullerton, just a few miles north of Disneyland. The imagery is almost shocking to today's eye. And the culture of open competition, where individual performance was called out by the color of gym shorts you were allowed to wear, would be forbidden today where everyone wins a trophy just for showing up.

But it was all commissioned and approved by JFK's Presidential Committee on Physical Fitness. It was un-American to be soft and flabby and lazy. But it's the visual differences in these high school boys bodies that is so indicative of the changes American men have gone through in the last 60 years.....

Somewhat related but in general I've noticed generations getting smaller and smaller physically, even in my senior year of high school multiple teachers commented on it. My sci fi teacher senior year said he thought the incoming freshmen were middle schoolers so I realized there was some truth to my observations. I don't know if there's a reason for that, if people just aren't performing in sports as much or some other reason. There are on the other end of the spectrum also 16 year olds who look like they're in their mid 20's but most commonly kids and teens just look younger and younger. Obviously the drop in testosterone you mentioned is part of it but I really am curious what the difference is even just that the 4 years between me being a freshman and being a senior was significant enough that multiple of my teachers commented on it at the time.

CaptinEO

Honestly the way a lot of men act/dress now, I think at least for people in their 20s/30s the gay community is much more masculine than the straight community.

At least here in CA I'd say younger gay men dress more masculine, are more muscular/fit, and more brunt/honest than most straight men the same age.

It's really odd. The way straight men in their 20s dress now with the short sleeve button ups, skinny jeans, and hipster glasses is just so weird to me.

It seems like a lot of men are sort of bossed around by their wives or girlfriends. A lot of young fathers now also think the best way to parent is by being your kids best friend. Kids need a strong/stern male figure IMO.

CaptinEO

Kind of not related, but kind of is... At a dinner party this weekend the topic of all the TV commercials mostly featuring Black people came up. Now before any Official Good People here throw a tantrum at the thought of a tony OC dinner party of Deplorables discussing Blacks, the topic was brought up by the (very) Black retired lawyer sitting to the right of the hostess.

Black folks make up 13% of the American population. But on TV now it seems like they make up at least 50% of the actors and acrtresses in TV commercials. There's this thought that it's "their time", and yet the older Black gentleman at the party brought up the topic because he was so saddened to hear that the young generation of Blacks thinks they invented Black people on TV. That no Black person ever was allowed to appear on TV until Obama became President in '08 and they enrolled in college in 2010.

They apparently have no idea that Blacks started starring in their own network TV shows in the late 1960's, and by the 1970's they had entire blocks of network lineups of Black starring shows. By the mid 1980's the number 1 rated show in the country, the sitcom that literally invented the term "Must See TV!", was the all-Black Cosby Show.

To throw in a Disneyland reference here and at the party, I chimed in with a favorite episide of the Dick Van **** Show from about 1964. Laura Petrie (Mary Tyler Moore) had just had her baby, and Rob Petrie (Van ****) was convinced that the hospital switched their baby with another family named Peters. Rob tracked down the other parents and insisted they come over to sort their babies out, and this TV magic happened.... You can just hear the 1964 audience gasp, and then realize it was okay to laugh, and then laugh more and applaud their approval. In 1964. Back when we could all laugh at ourselves. And all done with such style and class. 🤣

That's so crazy that people actually think this way. How can anyone ignore history and pretend that the modern generation is the first time African Americans have had a chance to be a part of popular culture.

Even in music you have amazingly talented popular musicians such as Louie Armstrong, Little Richard, James Brown, Jimmie Hendrix, etc. Michael Jackson still has the best selling album of all time. The Jackson 5 had their own cartoon show and live action variety show as well.

TV Shows such as the Cosby Show and are very smart and sophisticated.

mickEblu

Original Poster

That’s very interesting. Do you think it started with the societal norms/ expectations changing thereby making testosterone levels decrease over time? With that said, not sure a few decades would be enough time to cause such a drastic change.

$hitty food quality? Rise of Soy products?

Midwest Elitist

That’s very interesting. Do you think it started with the societal norms/ expectations changing thereby making testosterone levels decrease over time? With that said, not sure a few decades would be enough time to cause such a drastic change.

$hitty food quality? Rise of Soy products?
Maybe it's that high testosterone isn't necessary to live in the modern world?

mickEblu

Original Poster
Maybe it's that high testosterone isn't necessary to live in the modern world?

Could have something to do with it but wouldn’t it take way more than 60 years to have any real effect on mens testosterone levels? That’s why I think it has to have more to do with something we re eating, medications we re taking etc.

J4546

I'd imagine the terrible food people eat nowadays doesnt help. And I think some people drink soda like water and that xant be good for a person's health

Parteecia

Could have something to do with it but wouldn’t it take way more than 60 years to have any real effect on mens testosterone levels? That’s why I think it has to have more to do with something we re eating, medications we re taking etc.
Too many interesting bits to quote but here's a little:

"What’s behind all the downward trends? The answer is complicated. The decline in testosterone levels is almost certainly linked to higher rates of obesity (which suppresses testosterone) and may be linked to lower rates of smoking in men (since nicotine is a potent aromatase inhibitor). In the 2007 study, however, the age-matched declines persisted after controlling for these variables. Many observers put more weight on increased exposure to environmental toxins, such as pesticides, parabens, and chemicals common in household products like phthalates and bisphenol A.

"Also playing a role are long-term shifts in the ways we work and live. Young men are far less likely to hold jobs in manual labor, so they don’t have to be as physically strong as previous generations. Meanwhile, certain forms of close relationships—such as marriage, fatherhood, and increased time spent with children—are causally linked to lower testosterone levels. Yet here again the evidence is muddled: On the one hand, Gen-X and Millennial men are marrying later and having fewer kids. On the other hand, young men today are more likely to live with other people—which may promote prosocial hormones like oxytocin that are natural antagonists to testosterone. And those who are fathers are spending more time with their children."

SuddenStorm

There “ornaments” are some of the best merch in the park these days. I now have TOT, IASW and this one.

View attachment 616525

Love the elephant!

I wish Disney would relaunch the Olszewski line. Really high quality stuff and really faithful to what's in the park. I'd sell my Kidney for an Olszewski Splash Mountain that's the same level of detail as his Main Street/Fantasyland lineup.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Love the elephant!

I wish Disney would relaunch the Olszewski line. Really high quality stuff and really faithful to what's in the park. I'd sell my Kidney for an Olszewski Splash Mountain that's the same level of detail as his Main Street/Fantasyland lineup.

I know right! Not sure why Disney leaves this $ on the table and I have to buy some of the higher quality stuff from Etsy or Instagram stores. Olszewski never made a Splash Mountain?

I love the Bathing Elephant in all of her Marc Davis glory. She’s like 65% of the reason I ride Jungle Cruise.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom