The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

mickEblu

Original Poster
I had no idea what @mickEblu was talking about. I had to Google Encanto to remind myself it was a cartoon they released a few months ago. It's not a playlist that's being used at any of my last few sociables I've attended. And if it's being played over the Muzak at the supermarket, I'm not catching it.

But since I trust @mickEblu's judgment, I'm going to check it out later today. I have a dinner party invite this weekend, and I'll be happy to brag to the hostess by asking if she's got the Encanto soundtrack cued up for dinner music. :cool:

Ok but as I’m sure you know it’ll take a few watches to even get to the point where you can compare it to some of the classics that have been around for 30+ years. I have two young kids at home so this movie has been playing everyday for 3 weeks. Especially when we want my daughter to stay in the playpen without crying.

On my first watch I thought there 3 very good catchy songs but I wasn’t ready to put it up against some of the other movies I mentioned.

TP2000

Ok but as I’m sure you know it’ll take a few watches to even get to the point where you can compare it to some of the classics that have been around for 30+ years. I have two young kids at home so this movie has been playing everyday for 3 weeks. Especially when we want my daughter to stay in the playpen without crying.

On my first watch I thought there 3 very good catchy songs but I wasn’t ready to put it up against some of the other movies I mentioned.

To be clear, I'm not going to watch the movie today. I'm just going to check out the soundtrack on my iTunes music maker.

Although, if I do really like the soundtrack a viewing of the movie isn't out of the question at a later date.

I already promised myself my next movie night would be Valley Of The Dolls because it's been years since I've seen it, and then I always watch Airport in mid-winter for the snowy drama and a dose of Dean Martin. But I can slot Encanto in sometime next month if I really like the soundtrack.

I thank you for keying me into this. Much of pop-culture passes me right by nowadays, and I'm usually okay with that, what with all their Twerking and Tik-Tocking. But I know there's still some great stuff being created out there.

waltography

I know you're not disrespecting the Tangled or Princess and the Frog soundtracks!
I can't get enough PatF at the parks, the music is too catchy. Tangled's a modern Disney classic for sure, too; I was concerned with how well the music might age over time (have the same concerns with Encanto to be fair) but so far it's up there with the rest of the Renaissance.

Justice for Frozen 2 though! Lost in the Woods is a banger and I am not ashamed to fight for that song specifically. 😂

Mac Tonight

Wow Anchorman. There were a solid few months were I could recite every line in that movie back when it first came out on DVD.

Tbh I completely forgot about Princess and the Frog somehow. I honestly think PatF has a better soundtrack than BatB. More repeat value anyway. I think Encanto is catchier and has more replay value than both of them though.

For Top 3 soundtracks in Disney Movies off the top of my head I’m going…

Encanto
Princess and the Frog
Little Mermaid

Followed by BatB, Pinocchio and Cinderella.

I’ve only seen Tangled 1.5 times so I must not have cared too much for the music. The only two songs I remember are the song with the lanterns and that song in the tavern that was funny ish but not something I care to hear over and over.
I've never thought to rank the Disney soundtracks, but if I did, Encanto wouldn't even crack the top 10, possibly even top 20.

Mac Tonight

Just off the top of my head (in no particular order)...

Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, Princess and the Frog, Tangled, Pocahontas, Peter Pan, Jungle Book, Mulan, The Lion King, Toy Story, Pinocchio, Cinderella, Winnie the Pooh...

All
better soundtracks.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Just off the top of my head (in no particular order)...

Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, Princess and the Frog, Tangled, Pocahontas, Peter Pan, Jungle Book, Mulan, The Lion King, Toy Story, Pinocchio, Cinderella, Winnie the Pooh...

All
better soundtracks.

I’d say many of these have very strong songs and some of them have one very strong song that’s better than anything in Encanto. I just think Encanto is better overall and just has more repeat value. Of course they are still relatively new and I’m comparing them to songs I’ve heard a million times and very tired of. Still, I’m not sure I’ve Ever enjoyed an ENTIRE Disney animated film soundtrack as much as Encanto.

Mac Tonight

I’d say many of these have very strong songs and some of them have one very strong song that’s better than anything in Encanto. I just think Encanto is better overall and just has more repeat value. Of course they are still relatively new and I’m comparing them to songs I’ve heard a million times and very tired of. Still, I’m not sure I’ve Ever enjoyed an ENTIRE Disney animated film soundtrack as much as Encanto.
Fair enough. I guess it just didn't click with me. I was going to ultimately blame the Lin-Manuel factor, but I actually enjoy some of the Moana soundtrack, so I think I just found the whole thing forgettable.

No Name

Look, I get that dunking on WDW is the "cool" thing to do on this side of the forums, but to me it just seems... odd. It's like hating your best friend's younger brother just because he's the younger brother and chooses to live in a slightly different way.

I was actually at WDW during the 50th, and sure, I wasn't bowled over with the celebration aspects, but I didn't really care, because that's not what I went for. And if I may be so bold, frankly I don't really care for the anniversary celebrations at DL either. I much prefer the parks when they're "normal".
WDW has big castle energy and DL has a microcastle, perhaps it’s a self esteem issue.

But in all seriousness I also prefer the parks when they’re “normal.” I used to go during the fall a lot and went years without seeing a pumpkin-less Main Street.

mickEblu

Original Poster
My son and I had a great day at DCA today. It was a beautiful 75 and the park was as empty as it has been in a while. Probably because they close at 8pm and half of California is at home with Covid. Anyway the trip was much appreciated as the past 6 weeks have been rough. Particularly the last 3 weeks with whole fam going down with Covid.

We rope dropped and got on 13 rides without Genie +. I did buy lightning lanes for Spider-Man though. Had lunch at Flo’s, did Redwood Creek Challenge Trail, saw the Spider-Man launch and were back at the parking structure before 4pm.

A few things…

Again it was absolutely blissful at the park today. Nearly everything was a walk on to 15 minute waits except for RSR and Soarin which we did first to knock out the slow loader.

That Spider-Man toy is useless. At least for someone my sons age (6) with shorter arms. We got a second ride on Spidey because there were literally no webs being shot from his seat the first time. Second time he sat on my lap and it wasn’t much better.

Avengers Campus isn’t great but going to the park with just my son today I was able to really kind of see it all through a 6 year olds eyes. The spider bots, the web shooters, the Spider-Man stuntronic, the ride… they know what they re doing. It’s all really cool for a 6 year old.

Thank God Disney doesn’t do as many screen rides as Universal because they don’t know how to upkeep them. The only screens that looked good were on Spider-Man since it’s only 7 months old. Screens on Soarin and TSMM are so dim. The grid lines are super visible on Soarin with dirty patches in a few spots too.

Don’t get the fried chicken at Flo’s. Plaza Inn is so much better.

Always a treat to get on Grizzly River Run and not get soaked

Last edited:

mickEblu

Original Poster
How do you “fix” DCAs lack of a solid theme when two of the lands that aren’t going anywhere (Grizzly Peak and Cars Land) are at odds with each other?

Last edited:

mickEblu

Original Poster
Fair enough. I guess it just didn't click with me. I was going to ultimately blame the Lin-Manuel factor, but I actually enjoy some of the Moana soundtrack, so I think I just found the whole thing forgettable.

I haven’t seen Hamilton And have no real interest too but if the songs are as good as Encantos I might give it a watch. All I know about Lin Manuel is that he is the main guy behind Hamilton, wrote the songs for Moana (which I liked but didn’t love), wrote the songs for Encanto and played Bert in Mary Poppins Returns which I turned off after about 30 minutes and fell asleep.

Mac Tonight

I haven’t seen Hamilton And have no real interest too but if the songs are as good as Encantos I might give it a watch. All I know about Lin Manuel is that he is the main guy behind Hamilton, wrote the songs for Moana (which I liked but didn’t love), wrote the songs for Encanto and played Bert in Mary Poppins Returns which I turned off after about 30 minutes and fell asleep.
I had zero interest in Hamilton either, but was semi-forced into watching it. I “got” it’s appeal, but it just didn’t connect with me. One and done for sure.

Moana has some good songs, but overall I can’t help but feel like Disney is dangerously close to over-using him. I accept that I’m in the minority on that opinion though.

Last edited:

smooch

I watched Encanto last week with my girlfriend. Well, she watched it and I fell asleep for 1/2 the movie because it had been a long day for me and I was cozied up with her and just dozed off, not because the movie bored me. In fact, when I was awake I really enjoyed the movie and songs. Surprisingly I don't remember if I was awake for We Don' Talk About Bruno but after this discussion and I saw on Twitter that the song is as large as it is I might have to give the movie a second shot on a day I'm not as tired.

truecoat

To be clear, I'm not going to watch the movie today. I'm just going to check out the soundtrack on my iTunes music maker.

Although, if I do really like the soundtrack a viewing of the movie isn't out of the question at a later date.

I already promised myself my next movie night would be Valley Of The Dolls because it's been years since I've seen it, and then I always watch Airport in mid-winter for the snowy drama and a dose of Dean Martin. But I can slot Encanto in sometime next month if I really like the soundtrack.

I thank you for keying me into this. Much of pop-culture passes me right by nowadays, and I'm usually okay with that, what with all their Twerking and Tik-Tocking. But I know there's still some great stuff being created out there.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I watched Encanto last week with my girlfriend. Well, she watched it and I fell asleep for 1/2 the movie because it had been a long day for me and I was cozied up with her and just dozed off, not because the movie bored me. In fact, when I was awake I really enjoyed the movie and songs. Surprisingly I don't remember if I was awake for We Don' Talk About Bruno but after this discussion and I saw on Twitter that the song is as large as it is I might have to give the movie a second shot on a day I'm not as tired.

Yeah I really enjoy the soundtrack. They re doing some really neat things with the arrangements and melodies on some of the songs.

CaptinEO

The music is like a mix of broadway and modern pop music. Not my style but its good to have a change from straight broadway style music as it's been overdone.

I miss the simple days of songs like You Can Fly and Whistle While You Work.

mickEblu

Original Poster
The music is like a mix of broadway and modern pop music. Not my style but its good to have a change from straight broadway style music as it's been overdone.

I miss the simple days of songs like You Can Fly and Whistle While You Work.

That’s a good way to put it - mix of Pop and Broadway. I’m not really into Broadway so it’s all very fresh for me. Although i guess I’ve always enjoyed Disneys take on Broadway style songs in their musicals.

Those old songs are amazing. I’m not sure you can even record songs to have that sound in the digital era.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom