The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Californian Elitist

Wow are they that ruthless? Of course we don’t know if this person had a history of calling out sick last minute. It could be a case of “boy cries wolf.”
They can be pretty ruthless, yes. It is absolutely possible that she had a history of calling out.

I’ve met many people who have worked for Disney in some fashion or form, whether it’s the parks, education, somewhere in the entertainment sector, security, and even talent recruitment. I can count on one hand for how many of them actually enjoyed their experiences. For the most part, the common denominator was that we were all miserable during our time with Disney.

Californian Elitist

This thread has helped me to not feel as sad about the DCP being cancelled from COVID when I was extremely far in the application process and felt there was a very strong chance I was gonna get in after a failed attempt the year before. I had a friend who did the DCP in WDW and she told me it was probably the hardest job she's done and she had texted me some times crying / upset but at the end of the day she was glad she did it and enjoyed her time there.
I always encourage those who want to work for Disney to go for it. I didn’t have a positive experience, but that doesn’t mean you wouldn’t either. You have to see for yourself.😉

smooch

I always encourage those who want to work for Disney to go for it. I didn’t have a positive experience, but that doesn’t mean you wouldn’t either. You have to see for yourself.😉
It wouldn't work out anymore for me sadly given the path I'm taking in school and work. The times I applied I was still at community college and could take a semester off but now that I transferred with my associates to a four year I'm here for about 2 years and taking my major oriented classes, so I don't want to take a semester off as I'm also working during the school year a little during the week and then actually working during breaks like summer / winter / etc. so it would be hard to also drop that for a semester of the DCP. Who knows, maybe I'll find a way to try working there at some point but right now I'm busy with school and work and focusing on moving my way up after I graduate. I'm sorry you didn't have a positive experience, what would you say was your favorite part of the job aside from the benefits like getting into the park? I always wanted to be one of those special CMs you remember who make your trip extra special, since I wanted to work there because I loved the CMs and how they were when I went when I was younger, but I know there is a majority of the time where it isn't so magical both on stage and behind the scenes.

CaptinEO

It wouldn't work out anymore for me sadly given the path I'm taking in school and work. The times I applied I was still at community college and could take a semester off but now that I transferred with my associates to a four year I'm here for about 2 years and taking my major oriented classes, so I don't want to take a semester off as I'm also working during the school year a little during the week and then actually working during breaks like summer / winter / etc. so it would be hard to also drop that for a semester of the DCP. Who knows, maybe I'll find a way to try working there at some point but right now I'm busy with school and work and focusing on moving my way up after I graduate. I'm sorry you didn't have a positive experience, what would you say was your favorite part of the job aside from the benefits like getting into the park? I always wanted to be one of those special CMs you remember who make your trip extra special, since I wanted to work there because I loved the CMs and how they were when I went when I was younger, but I know there is a majority of the time where it isn't so magical both on stage and behind the scenes.
I wouldn't even work for Disney corporate.

Californian Elitist

I understand. I was in community college when I did the DCP. There was absolutely no way I would have done it before transferring to my four-year.

In terms of the job, my favorite part was making guests happy. That was pretty much the only time I enjoyed my time at work. Being able to walk into the parks whenever you want is a perk, but there’s a downside as well, at least for me. In the beginning, it was exciting being able to pull out my ID and just waltz right in. Prior to working at the park, I had never been an AP and only visited maybe once or twice a year. After a while though, the privilege of being able to walk into the parks freely kind of backfired. Visits were no longer special nor exciting and it got old. I remember friends would ask me if I wanted to join them at the parks on our days off and I eventually started declining. I’ve been at Disneyland for the past five days, granted as an employee, but still. No, I don’t want to visit the parks, I want to do something else. My roommates and I went to Universal Studios with comp tickets one day and it was the best trip ever lol. Finally something else rather than Disneyland and DCA seven days a week.

waltography

This thread has helped me to not feel as sad about the DCP being cancelled from COVID when I was extremely far in the application process and felt there was a very strong chance I was gonna get in after a failed attempt the year before. I had a friend who did the DCP in WDW and she told me it was probably the hardest job she's done and she had texted me some times crying / upset but at the end of the day she was glad she did it and enjoyed her time there.
I've heard from friends in the DCP right now that for some people it's hell - folks are self-terming at far higher rates than before because the pandemic has made the experience far more stressful than before. Obviously mileage will vary, but I'm glad I opted not to apply after hearing some of the things the current class is going through.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
They can be pretty ruthless, yes. It is absolutely possible that she had a history of calling out.

I’ve met many people who have worked for Disney in some fashion or form, whether it’s the parks, education, somewhere in the entertainment sector, security, and even talent recruitment. I can count on one hand for how many of them actually enjoyed their experiences. For the most part, the common denominator was that we were all miserable during our time with Disney.
I can say this experience is not unique to either DLR or TWDC. My time in the Amusement Industry and other minimum wage jobs mimics the experiences told here. Most companies that hire for lower wage positions tend to be harder on them than those in higher wage positions.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Most companies that hire for lower wage positions tend to be harder on them than those in higher wage positions.

So true it’s worth repeating. I may work a corporate-level job now, but I’ll never forget the time I worked at a movie theater in high school. Built character, and prepared me for other challenging (but far less terrible) bosses in the future.

At least in a corporate setting I’ve never been called a failure at life or had my friends shoved into a wall for insubordination. Total dumpster fire.

smooch

I can say this experience is not unique to either DLR or TWDC. My time in the Amusement Industry and other minimum wage jobs mimics the experiences told here. Most companies that hire for lower wage positions tend to be harder on them than those in higher wage positions.
So true it’s worth repeating. I may work a corporate-level job now, but I’ll never forget the time I worked at a movie theater in high school. Built character, and prepared me for other challenging (but far less terrible) bosses in the future.

At least in a corporate setting I’ve never been called a failure at life or had my friends shoved into a wall for insubordination. Total dumpster fire.
Yeah, I worked at a sushi restaurant for a long time between high school / college and at Gamestop in college and those service industry jobs are awful. People are rude and lash out at you, you're physically and emotionally drained after every shift, and hours and flexibility are very bad at least in my years of experience with those jobs. Even if I'm working a low-end office job right now it's much nicer and the clients are much kinder and I can actually request days off / can leave a shift an hour or two early for a dentist appointment without a manager losing their mind. I'm honestly happy seeing so many people in fast food and other minimum wage jobs leaving and demanding better treatment / pay, they deserve it and are having their voices heard. Yeah there are fast food locations that are just closed without warning cause people don't want to work but I don't blame them, especially during the pandemic people have gotten even meaner I can't imagine what those jobs must be like now.

PiratesMansion

And all these places that pay minimum wage and/or have horrific environments wonder why no one wants to work for them anymore and they can't get help.

Clearly I was luckier than many when it came to jobs like that, though I did get written up a handful of times for my till being under (or in one case, over) where it was supposed to be by a few dollars when I worked at a movie theater.

Otherwise that was a decent experience until AMC bought our theater. Under previous ownership, you could put in leave to go to college and come back on breaks. Under AMC, we had to re-apply. Nonsense, but I figured I was just a formality. Then I heard nothing back, so I called them. Was told something along the lines of "oh, well if we like your application we'll be sure to get back to you soon." I had worked there for three years.

Okee68

Here's something I wrote about Tokyo's Beauty and the Beast half a year ago:

batb.png

Inspired Figment

Here's something I wrote about Tokyo's Beauty and the Beast half a year ago:

View attachment 575342
I agree entirely. It should’ve just been a carousel theatre show. Like many of the newer fantasy Disney IP rides these days… it suffers a lack of genuine content to make the ride interesting. You see your favorite characters, hear your favorite songs, the technology is super impressive.. but it’s not enough of an experience nor does it flow well enough to truly stand out or stick with you afterwards as a ride on its own.
Very much like Frozen Ever After or Ariel’s Undersea Adventure.

Last edited:

SplashGhost

About how bad low wage jobs treat employees, places like McDonald's are practically begging for people to work there at this point. A lot of people will put up with abuse to work at Disney (even though an employee should never have to put up with abuse), but people won't deal with abuse to work someplace that has low pay and isn't glamourous. I'm hoping the current situation eventually leads to long lasting and positive changes that will benefit workers.

And yeah, from what I have seen of the Beauty and the Beast ride, it fails spectacularly as a ride and should have been a small stage show.

Inspired Figment

Is anyone from here featured in this article?

Nope! Lol …but for a group of “House of Mouse” fans.. there sure is a lack of “House of Mouse” mentioned or showcased anywhere in the article (for better or for worse..) That show was fantastic (on that note, it needs be put on Disney Plus.. I’d happily binge watch it all)
843A7B21-8E84-4923-A1DB-21449DCF09DA.jpeg

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

About how bad low wage jobs treat employees, places like McDonald's are practically begging for people to work there at this point. A lot of people will put up with abuse to work at Disney (even though an employee should never have to put up with abuse), but people won't deal with abuse to work someplace that has low pay and isn't glamourous. I'm hoping the current situation eventually leads to long lasting and positive changes that will benefit workers.

And yeah, from what I have seen of the Beauty and the Beast ride, it fails spectacularly as a ride and should have been a small stage show.
I’d work at In-N-Out before any other fast food chain. The pay is above average and the benefits are really good, from what I’ve heard.

Sailor310

I worked at Marineland in high school for minimum wage. I got tired of refolding hundreds of t shirts and answering tourists dumb questions ( Just being honest. I was 16 with an attitude). However, it was fun to work with all teenagers. They threw a good party for us on 4th of July. Playing catch with a basketball with the trained dolphins on break was fun. There were little ones in the breading tank that would have you pick them up by the tail and drop them into the tank. They would swoosh to the bottom of the tank and then come back over and over. It was precious.

Okee68

Since I'm incapable of posting about anything other than Fantasyland dark rides, here's my latest revision of "Escape from the Wicked Witch," a version of the Snow White dark ride I came up with that gets away with retaining all the classic, scary scenes simply by not advertising itself as "Snow White" at all. I posted a rougher version of this half a year ago in this thread, but this new draft is more cohesive and includes a handful of additional details that improve the overall concept.

Attachments

• witch1.png
    witch1.png
    260.1 KB · Views: 71
  • witch2.png
    witch2.png
    247.7 KB · Views: 61
  • witch3.png
    witch3.png
    207.1 KB · Views: 50
  • witch4.png
    witch4.png
    247.8 KB · Views: 67

SplashGhost

I would be cured of my insomnia if there was a way to recreate the part of Pirates of the Caribbean before the first drop at home. I'm not saying it is boring, but something about that peaceful music while floating through the bayou and then going into such a dark area makes me nearly fall asleep sometimes.

Okee68

Forgot to include one little piece of the Wicked Witch description, lol. This is supposed to be in between the diminishing mine and finale scene:

Ahead, beyond the final collapsing beam, is another alcove in the mine leading off into depths unseen. Here, a mine cart filled with shimmering diamonds suddenly comes screeching forward on its rails as the crooked laughter of the Witch is predictably heard echoing from the distance. Fortunately, the cart crashes into a pile of lumber on the ground before it can reach guests, who then veer off through a final set of timbers and escape the diminishing mine.

SplashGhost

Since I'm incapable of posting about anything other than Fantasyland dark rides, here's my latest revision of "Escape from the Wicked Witch," a version of the Snow White dark ride I came up with that gets away with retaining all the classic, scary scenes simply by not advertising itself as "Snow White" at all. I posted a rougher version of this half a year ago in this thread, but this new draft is more cohesive and includes a handful of additional details that improve the overall concept.

Forgot to include one little piece of the Wicked Witch description, lol. This is supposed to be in between the diminishing mine and finale scene:

Ahead, beyond the final collapsing beam, is another alcove in the mine leading off into depths unseen. Here, a mine cart filled with shimmering diamonds suddenly comes screeching forward on its rails as the crooked laughter of the Witch is predictably heard echoing from the distance. Fortunately, the cart crashes into a pile of lumber on the ground before it can reach guests, who then veer off through a final set of timbers and escape the diminishing mine.

This all sounds fantastic, and I love how much detail you put into it. I rode Enchanted Wish today and didn't care for it at all, as it neutered and defanged Scary Adventures. The most memorable parts of Snow White, as well as the ones that lend themselves the best to a ride are the horror elements, which is what I really love about your Escape from the Wicked Witch idea.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom