The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Darkbeer1

Friday was a day of landscaping bids, nurses, lawyers, and ending at Chili's under a tent for a late dinner (The location is open until 11, we sat down after 8 PM)

Saturday in the Anaheim/Buena Park/Fullerton area.

Started at COSTCO, then the Sketchers Outlet, where wife got some new shoes for our trip to Puerto Vallarta.

Then got my haircut at Great Clips.

Then Jersey Mike's for lunch. Sat outside under an Umbrella, nice to relax with my wife enjoying Roast Beef!

Then to spoil my wife, we had Foot Massages (Whole body with clothes on) at the local mall. Our first ones since March. Alas, the one hour special for $25 is now $40. Still, happy wife, happy life.

Did a few other errands walking inside a mall.

Then dinner at Norm's, they have a great $9.99 3/4 lb. T-Bone steak special, breakfast or dinner with all the sides, and free Haagen-Daze ice cream!

Then headed to GardenWalk, which was very busy, they are doing a live D.J. on the outside patio near Grasslands.

Was told DtD was also busy today. Hotel booking were decent for those open in the Resort Area for the Holiday.

Lisa wanted some Sugar Free Italian Ice from Joe's, but the line was a block long around 9 PM, we passed.

But it is nice to have a mainly normal day. Yes, it was hot, yes, we wore masks unless eating/drinking, social distanced.

EDITED to add: Also, didn't wear masks in or near the car, where no one else was near, same as for at home.

But things are progressing, nice to see folks working, (The tipping was tough on my wallet, but deserved).

Hopefully good news for Orange County on Tuesday, both for businesses, but also for kids getting ready to head back to the actual classroom.

Theme Park news is coming, not exactly sure when, but a lot of folks think sometime this upcoming week.

Happy Labor Day weekend to everyone, have fun, but be smart about it.

Last edited:

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Friday was a day of landscaping bids, nurses, lawyers, and ending at Chili's under a tent for a late dinner (The location is open until 11, we sat down after 8 PM)

Started at COSTCO, then the Sketchers Outlet, where wife got some new shoes for our trip to Puerto Vallarta.

Then Jersey Mike's for lunch. Sat outside under an Umbrella, nice to relax with my wife enjoying Roast Beef!

Then to spoil my wife, we had Foot Massages (Whole body with clothes on) at the local mall. Our first ones since March. Alas, the one hour special for $25 is now $40. Still, happy wife, happy life.

Then dinner at Norm's, they have a great $9.99 3/4 lb. T-Bone steak special, breakfast or dinner with all the sides, and free ice cream!

Then headed to GardenWalk, which was very busy, they are doing a live D.J. on the outside patio near Grasslands.

Was told DtD was also busy today. Hotel booking were decent for those open in the Resort Area for the Holiday.

Lisa wanted some Sugar Free Italian Ice from Joe's, but the line was a block long around 9 PM, we passed.

But it is nice to have a mainly normal day. Yes, it was hot, yes, we wore masks unless eating/drinking, social distanced.

But things are progressing, nice to see folks working, (The tipping was tough on my wallet, but deserved).

Hopefully good news for Orange County on Tuesday, both for businesses, but also for kids getting ready to head back to the actual classroom.

Theme Park news is coming, not exactly sure when, but a lot of folks think sometime this upcoming week.

Sounds like you had a nice day. I'm glad!
Hoping for some good news for the West Coast soon. Oh, and have a great time in Puerto Vallarta.

Magic Feather

Then dinner at Norm's, they have a great $9.99 3/4 lb. T-Bone steak special, breakfast or dinner with all the sides, and free Haagen-Daze ice cream!

Sounds like an absolutely lovely day. I too have heard that “next steps” for DLR could be announced soon, but what those “next steps” are have varied greatly from person to person that I’ve talked to. Everything from later this month to November.

Darkbeer1

EDITED to add: Also, didn't wear masks in or near the car, where no one else was near, same as for at home.

So far today, back to GardenWalk, Lisa got her Joe's Italian Ice, much shorter line. Went to Kaiser to pick up a prescription, and got our flu shots. Then to Home Depot to get some Wasp Spray, as we have a small nest on one of our sliding doors.

Now at South Coast Plaza so my wife can get her steps indoors to keep her fit bit happy. OC should have gyms open at 10% capacity in a couple of weeks. Wonder if our gym, Gold's, will think it will be feasible to open, or will they wait for higher capacity limits?

Rich T

RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 Complete Edition coming to Nintendo Switch on September 24th for $29.99. Frontier’s handling this themselves, so hopefully it’ll be a solid port.

Not to be confused with the other Switch RCT game, Atari’s Rollercoaster Tycoon Adventures, which is a steaming pile of burnt corndogs.

Last edited:

Darkbeer1

From the OC History FB page

>>Sept 5th 2003. Tragedy at the Disneyland Big Thunder Mountain ride. 22-year-old man died after suffering severe blunt force trauma and extensive internal bleeding in a derailment of the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad roller coaster that also injured ten other riders. The cause of the accident was determined to be improper maintenance. <<

Phroobar

From the OC History FB page

>>Sept 5th 2003. Tragedy at the Disneyland Big Thunder Mountain ride. 22-year-old man died after suffering severe blunt force trauma and extensive internal bleeding in a derailment of the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad roller coaster that also injured ten other riders. The cause of the accident was determined to be improper maintenance. <<

"Run the rides until the wheels fall off!" - Cynthia Harris

Phroobar

Disney Is Again Faulted in Coaster Accident
An inexperienced worker's error is called a factor in Big Thunder Mountain's 3rd crash in a year.
By Kimi Yoshino
Times Staff Writer

August 28, 2004

State investigators said Friday that mistakes by an inexperienced ride operator and a software glitch contributed to an accident last month — the third in less than a year — on Disneyland's Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.

The report from the state Division of Occupational Safety and Health concluded that the unnamed ride operator had been on the job just three days when he performed procedures out of sequence July 8, causing two trains to collide as one returned to the station. Five people suffered minor injuries.

The first accident occurred last September when a car derailed, killing one person and injuring 10 others; the second was in April when two empty cars crashed during a test run. In all three cases, the state faulted the park and ordered retraining.

Friday's report did not address the question of whether the coaster has an ongoing problem. But Susan Gard, a spokeswoman for the state agency, said investigators considered the ride's recent history.

Unlike in the fatal accident, the employee this time was properly trained and the procedures were proper, she said. In the amusement park business, as in any other, "there is always going to be the possibility that a mistake can be made," Gard said.

Disneyland officials said they agree with the report and have taken the action required by the state, which included retraining the operator at fault and fixing the software problem.

"We remain committed to driving continuous improvement and upholding the high standards that keep us at the forefront of ride safety," said Greg Hale, chief safety officer of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts.

One independent expert on Disneyland, "Mouse Tales" author David Koenig, said the run of accidents may be a terrible case of bad luck. But, at a minimum, it creates a perception problem for the park, undercutting Disneyland contentions that such accidents are extremely rare, he said.

"Disney has run out of its 'one-in-a-million' excuse," Koenig said.

And more than that, some fans who once supported Disney almost unequivocally have lost faith — at least in Big Thunder Mountain, he said.

"This was the first time, in observing decades of accidents at Disneyland, that I heard a large number of otherwise calm, collected, sane people, say, 'I'm never riding that ride again.' "

The latest accident occurred when one train arriving at the station bumped into another. Both were carrying passengers, though only a handful of riders complained of minor aches.

Despite the human error, the computer operating system should have prevented the collision, Gard said.

"It was a small window of opportunity for the error to happen. If he [the operator] would have pressed the button out of sequence at any other place, the accident wouldn't have occurred," she said.

Waiting for Big Thunder Mountain to reopen Friday, many tourists said they have few qualms about getting aboard the ride.

"Disneyland has been around for a really long time, and there have been very few accidents," said Brad Macy, 44, visiting from Walnut Creek with his two children.

"I'm not a big fan of roller coasters, but I think they are fairly safe," he said.

His son, Leor, 12, was more guarded. "It scares me a little," he said. "But I'm going to go on it anyway."

Figments Friend

Have you ever noticed how the California School of Health Sciences is right next to the Sahara strip club and Falak Hookah Lounge on Ball?

There's a hookah lounge on Ball Rd....??

I knew about the strip club from some enlightening discussions on here from a couple of months ago, but this is the first I've heard of the hookah lounge.

Man, am I going to have a fun time whenever I get back out to California and visit Disneyland!

🤣

-

SuddenStorm

There's a hookah lounge on Ball Rd....??

I knew about the strip club from some enlightening discussions on here from a couple of months ago, but this is the first I've heard of the hookah lounge.

Man, am I going to have a fun time whenever I get back out to California and visit Disneyland!

🤣

-
1599623228552.png

SuddenStorm

RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 Complete Edition coming to Nintendo Switch on September 24th for $29.99. Frontier’s handling this themselves, so hopefully it’ll be a solid port.

Not to be confused with the other Switch RCT game, Atari’s Rollercoaster Tycoon Adventures, which is a steaming pile of burnt corndogs.

I was following the RCT World/Planet Coaster development war/debacle religiously- was active on both forums and the fb group.

Really sad to see the joke Atari is now, but it's amusing that Frontier has been able to carry on the theme park game genre with Planet Coaster.

$30 is a bit steep for RCT3, since the computer version is like $10 but for those who want the portability the Switch provides it's a great game.

Sharon&Susan

I was following the RCT World/Planet Coaster development war/debacle religiously- was active on both forums and the fb group.

Really sad to see the joke Atari is now, but it's amusing that Frontier has been able to carry on the theme park game genre with Planet Coaster.

$30 is a bit steep for RCT3, since the computer version is like $10 but for those who want the portability the Switch provides it's a great game.
It is $20 cheaper than the "new" RCT on Switch. But that glorified port of a mobile game makes the price of pretty much any other game look reasonable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom