The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

TP2000

-Rapids on the Rivers of America?!?!?

They existed until the big Rivers of America refurbishment in 2009.

They were off to the right side of the river (the southern bank) after you passed the Burning Cabin but before you got to the Indian Village. They were there as a dramatic high point for the Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes ride, and the canoe boys would steer you into these rapids that were just a narrow canyon of boulders with water jets aimed at them that would create white water and splashy rocks. The canoe boys would mention how treacherous this part of the river was, and you would actually get splashed a bit as your canoe bounced along between these big boulders with water spraying onto them.

It was actually very effective and created some drama in the otherwise placid canoe ride where the only real interest to be had depended on what your canoe boy standing up in the front of the boat looked like. :cool:

maxresdefault.jpg

Darkbeer1

The Main Street Cinema is an Attraction, The Explorer Canoes are a ride!

As for the sports question.

Just got home from the Honda Center and the Ducks game.

Saturday is the US National Men's Soccer Team against Costa Rico at the Dignity Health Sports Park in Carson.

Sunday is at home watching the Chiefs kick the 49'rs all the way back to Santa Clara.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Ooh, I'm quite famously pretentious! (With a good-natured shout out to my friend @fctiger) And I always say "attraction".

Although when I count how many rides Disneyland has versus how few WDW has, then the word "ride" comes in handy.

I like to go back and forth to let people know that I know the lingo but I’m not married to it. I want to say that I’ve heard Walt referring to them as rides on more than one occasion or it could just been from Saving Mr. Banks. Haha

brb1006

I'm aware Christmas is long over. But I felt like sharing this video of the Disneyland Christmas Parade from 1983 titled "Disney's Christmas Fantasy" taken sometime in 1983-ish.

This video is worth watching alone, because it not only contains a section for the then new "Mickey's Christmas Carol". But it also shows a lot of Disney Characters that you no longer seen around the parks.

Examples include; Gus Gus and Jack Jack (they show up occasionally at Disneyland Paris), Dumbo and the Ringmaster, Buzzie, Flaps, Ziggy, and Dizzy and The Elephants from The Jungle Book, technically Stromboli (he currently makes rare appearances), a good chunk of the Robin Hood cast (especially Maid Marian), The March hare (currently at Disneyland Paris) and The Walrus from Alice In Wonderland. If only I could find some older DL/WDW parade footage of Flower from Bambi.

Since this was shot in 1983, looks like some of the floats were from for the "Flights Of Fantasy Parade" in early 1983. Since New Fantasyland just opened that year.

Seeing old Disneyland and Walt Disney World Parades of the past really makes miss the "pre-Disney Princess" era of Disney and it's theme parks. These days parades at the Disney Theme Parks are mainly focused on the Disney Renaissance era with a sprinkle of old school days (films and animation made between the 1930s up till the mid 1960s and occasionally the 1970s), or parades with a bit of Pixar characters in the mix.

Side Note: Surprised they hadn't updated the designs for The Hippos (since when were the Hippos pink and had lipstick?) from Fantasia, alongside The Tweedles, and Chip N Dale (who hadn't changed since 1981) yet. Considering the Disney Parks has slowly started giving their characters a makeover/redesigns to look closer to their animated counterparts. First was Smee in late 2009 or early 2010, Marie from The Aristocats in 2013 (2014 for the other parks), Mickey and Minnie starting in mid 2016, and most recently Horace and Clarabelle.

Last edited:

Communicora

Premium Member
I didn't get to visit Disneyland until 1995 so I never got to experience Videopolis, but I really enjoyed the Defunctland video about it.

One of the headlines they flashed on screen in the video caught my eye so I ventured over to newspapers.com to find the article. You might enjoy it if you are looking for some tips on how to keep the romance alive during a trip to Disneyland. 🤣

Arizona_Daily_Star_Wed__Sep_4__1985_.jpg

BrianLo

Other pet peeve... people who congregate physically in the lines waiting for party members.

As bad as it is in Disney parks, it’s a freaking epidemic in lift lines.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom