The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Californian Elitist

99D6B75D-775D-4FEB-8802-13C1FC2C10BD.jpeg

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

I hurt soo bad over this. I am devastated. I am sorry the world lost a total of 9 people yesterday. My heart, prayers and wishes go out to all the families. but Kobe..he was my favorite Laker and sports star of all time. I felt like I LOST a family member. Past couple of days I have cried sooo much. The thought of him holding Gianna in their final moments knowing what was about to happen is just....too heartbreaking for me to take. I thought it was a lie at first. I didn't believe it and refused to believed it. Then when the legit reports came in from credible news outlets i went numb and fell into total shock. still in shock. feels like a bad dream. as a Laker fan we had soo much more to experience with him post career. plus his daughter wanted to be in the wnba the world lost out on her pro career but his family lost out on a life time of memories with both. graduations, birth of childreb/grandchildren, graduating high school, kobe being elected to the hall of fame and getting his staute. gianna wont grow up to get married or have kids. he wont get to see his daughters get married and have kids. his newborn wont really know her dad. I really hurt over this. please forgive me as I take a leave of absence from the site. i wont be posting. i may lurk and read but i just can't deal guys. my soul hurts. part of me died too. I just can't deal right now guys. I care about you all but I need to mourn. your friend, Happy Haunt

Last edited:

smooch

I hurt soo bad over this. I am devastated. I am sorry the world lost a total of 9 people yesterday. My heart, prayers and wishes go out to all the families. but Kobe..he was my favorite Laker and sports star of all time. I felt like I LOST a family member. Past couple of days I have cried sooo much. The thought of him holding Gianna in their final moments knowing what was about to happen is just....too heartbreaking for me to take. I thought it was a lie at first. I didn't believe it and refused to believed it. Then when the legit reports came in from credible news outlets i went numb and fell into total shock. still in shock. feels like a bad dream. as a Laker fan we had soo much more to experience with him post career. plus his daughter wanted to be in the wnba the world lost out on her pro career but his family is lost out on a life time of memories with both. graduations, birth of child/grandchildren, graduating high school, kobe being elected to the hall of fame and gettings his staute. gianna wont grow up to get married or have kids. he wont get to see his daughters get married and have kids. his newborn wont really know her dad. I really hurt over this. please forgive me as I take a leave of absence from the site. i wont be posting. i may lurk and read but i just can't deal guys. my soul hurts. part of me died too. I just can't deal right now guys. I care about you all but I need to mourn. your friend, Happy Haunt

I don't know if you will end up reading this or if you're going to stay off the site completely for a while, but take all the time you need. I am always here to talk to if you ever need an internet stranger to talk to, I had a very favorite musician die a few years ago and it did the same thing to me. I was in denial at first and refused to believe it was true. I was stunned and couldn't speak, and the days immediately following that felt empty to me. Celebrity deaths are weird, you've never met them, but they mean so much to you. Some people made fun of me for grieving someone I never met, but their impact on me was so huge I just felt at a loss. Do what you need to cope, if it isn't too hard go back and watch interviews and past games from Kobe, continue to remember him and honor him. This is a Disneyland forum but I see us all here as a family and I always want to be there for my family, we're here to help each other through tough times no matter the circumstances. I'll be waiting for your return to the boards, I have always loved seeing your responses from when I started lurking to when I made my account to right now, I know we all get heated with each other sometimes but I am sure I speak for most people here when I say we are all here for each other. 💚

Darkbeer1

Darkbeer1

Darkbeer1

There are rumors of a large event on February 11th.

My guess, the actual Funeral will be held at Christ Cathedral, invitation only.

Then a memorial that will be free but a ticket will be needed at the Memorial Coluseum. Not enough seats at Staples Center. (Edited for location change).

Last edited:

PiratesMansion

I've recently purchased the Walt Disney Treasures Disneyland USA set. By far the star of this set is the Tencennial program. Here's some unsorted commentary about the experience of watching the program:

-The Imagineers on display in the opening segments was truly incredible for a nerd. John Hench! Mark Davis! Harriet Burns! Claude Coats! Mary Blair! Rolly Crump! Leota Toombs in the background!
-Walt is awkward and charming throughout the special.
-When revisiting 1959 construction, the footage goes briefly to Walt Disney and construction workers working on the monorail near Harbor. What's notable, however, is that there is apparently nothing except a modest, home style fence separating Disneyland from the outside world. The type that any average person could easily step over.
-Great footage of Jungle Cruise with significantly more elephants than I ever remember seeing, but the best part is when the Hippo is shot and the entire boat laughs as if this is the most whimsical thing they've ever seen.
-Special mention also to Walt mentioning the new trapped "sa-fair-i"
-Rapids on the Rivers of America?!?!?
-While I love Big Thunder and wouldn't want to wish it to disappear, it was cool to see the Mine Train going across the riverbank. It also made me wish Disneyland had opted to rebuild rather than remove Cascade Falls. I believe they were still there for my first visit in 1997, but I have no memory of them. What presence they had!
-It's interesting to see the characters when they appear. Some, like Big Bad Wolf, are basically the same design as they are today. Others, like Mickey, are recognizable, if not in their final forms (he has the same look that he has at the 1971 WDW opening special). Then there are characters like Chip and Dale, who don't look much of anything like they do now.
-What happened to Dixieland at Disneyland on the river? Surely that's worthy of a nostalgic night revival!
-Next week: The Boston Tea Party! Johnny Tremain!

Last edited:

Phroobar

-While I love Big Thunder and wouldn't want to wish it to disappear, it was cool to see the Mine Train going across the riverbank. It also made me wish Disneyland had opted to rebuild rather than remove Cascade Falls. I believe they were still there for my first visit in 1997, but I have no memory of them. What presence they had!
You can blame Cynthia Harris for their removal. They were removed originally for sight line testing for Geyser Mountain in Big Thunder Ranch. Geyser Mountain got replaced by DCA's ToT.

Mac Tonight

Random Disneyland-related discovery of the day.

I happened to catch House of Wax (1953) earlier today on TCM and couldn't help but notice
a startling similarity between the 14th Street Music Hall, and the Golden Horseshoe at DLR...

So I did some research and guess what... there's a very good reason they look alike!

Harper Goff (Disney Legend) used to be a set designer for Warner Bros.

He designed the sets for Calamity Jane (1953) starring Doris Day...

Calamity-Jane-A.jpg

... which were later re-used for House of Wax...

s-l500.jpg

... and two years later, you have the Golden Horseshoe at Disneyland, designed by Harper Goff!
P1080940.JPG

Anyways... back to your regularly scheduled misc. thoughts.

Last edited:

smooch

Random Disneyland-related discovery of the day.

I happened to catch House of Wax (1953) earlier today on TCM and couldn't help but notice
a startling similarity between the 14th Street Music Hall, and the Golden Horseshoe at DLR...

So I did some research and guess what... there's a very good reason they look alike!

Harper Goff (Disney Legend) used to be a set designer for Warner Bros.

He designed the sets for Calamity Jane (1953) starring Doris Day...

View attachment 445626

... which were later re-used for House of Wax...

View attachment 445628

... and two years later, you have the Golden Horseshoe at Disneyland, designed by Harper Goff!
View attachment 445630

Anyways... back to your regularly scheduled misc. thoughts.

Very cool, slightly, not really related thought, the university I was initially planning on attending based their dining hall off the same dining hall that Harry Potter eventually used as inspiration, so had I attended that university I would have eaten every day in Hogwart('s inspiration). It's always so cool to me when completely unrelated things find a way to make a connection in your life.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom