The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Mac Tonight

Yet people seem to love them. If they kept crash and burning, Disney would get off that kick.
I think that more symptomatic of the nostalgia wave sweeping Hollywood.
People like them, because they liked the originals so much, not for their own merits, which frankly, are pretty limited.

But the question must be asked, how much MORE would people love seeing the original back in theaters?
It's crazy that some kids are gonna grow up with these live-action versions as the first iterations they'll see of certain films and then its up to their parents to show them the "old, cartoon version".

mickEblu

Original Poster
Of the live action remakes I’ve only seen the first Alice in Wonderland, Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast and Jungle Book. Alice was awful. An Alice live action remake had a lot of potential and they blew it. Cinderella was terrible and someone had the bright idea of not including any songs from the animated version. BATB and Jungle Book were ok. Jungle Book is probably my favorite of the bunch. From here on out I’ll wait to watch the remakes on Disney + which I will inevitably subscribe to.

Mac Tonight

Of the live action remakes I’ve only seen the first Alice in Wonderland, Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast and Jungle Book. Alice was awful. An Alice live action remake had a lot of potential and they blew it. Cinderella was terrible and someone had the bright idea of not including any songs from the animated version. BATB and Jungle Book were ok. Jungle Book is probably my favorite of the bunch. From here on out I’ll wait to watch the remakes on Disney + which I will inevitably subscribe to.
I was dragged to see Beauty and the Beast, but that's all I've seen.

I am interested in seeing the Aladdin remake, but that's only because after attending the Aladdin Musical event at D23 and seeing them do the Friend Like Me dance live, it looked fun.

Phroobar

Alice was all CG eye candy. It succeed for the same reason Avatar succeed. It was new and different looking. Cinderella was boring and was missing all its songs. BatB was way too autotuned. Why couldn't they get a lead that could sing? Jungle Book actually worked well thanks to Bill Murray. Aladdin worked because of Jasmine and Aladdin actors no matter how much Will Smith tried to ruin it. The Lion King was way too CG. As they said at Knott's Haunt, "Simba, all that the light touches is computer generated."

Phroobar

They should live-action remake Toy Story with real action figures in stop motion.
You know it is going to happen eventually.
Actually Toy Story could use a high def remake. Just look at the CG different between it and Toy Story 4. It's amazing how far CG has come.

maxresdefault.jpg

Andy-in-Toy-Story-1-and-Toy-Story-4.jpg

Kate F

Alice in Wonderland was the first one and we didn’t know any better (I’m not counting the live-action Dalmatians films)

Kate F

You know it is going to happen eventually.
Actually Toy Story could use a high def remake. Just look at the CG different between it and Toy Story 4. It's amazing how far CG has come.

maxresdefault.jpg

Andy-in-Toy-Story-1-and-Toy-Story-4.jpg
I know it’s been pointed out by many before, but TS4 Andy does not look like the Andy’s in TS1-3

Last edited:

Magic Feather

Who exactly is hyping the new Maleficent? Until about a month ago, I could have easily forgotten it was a thing.
This morning, I almost spit my coffee out, when my local radio station mentioned an advance screening sequel... whose tickets were serving as the consolation prize for one of their contests. Yes, the person that got them sounded every bit as confused as you'd think.

Rich T

...I am interested in seeing the Aladdin remake, but that's only because after attending the Aladdin Musical event at D23 and seeing them do the Friend Like Me dance live, it looked fun.
"Fun" is a good word for the live-action Aladdin. If nothing else, just watch the "Friend Like Me" sequence and the last 10 minutes (everything AFTER the disappointing final battle), including the wonderful musical start of the closing credits, which pretty much everyone agrees is what the entire film should have been like.

Phroobar

"Fun" is a good word for the live-action Aladdin. If nothing else, just watch the "Friend Like Me" sequence and the last 10 minutes (everything AFTER the disappointing final battle), including the wonderful musical start of the closing credits, which pretty much everyone agrees is what the entire film should have been like.
The Bollywood scene was pretty cool. It's just slap happy stupid.

SuddenStorm

On Big Thunder I noticed one of the spires on Black Spire Outpost was missing it's bottom. Lots of exposed steel structure.

I don't think it's always been like this? Sorry for the bad picture quality... It's the one near the middle.

Travel Junkie

I'll bet it won't make $50 in those first two weeks, which is what it's predicted to make opening weekend.

I believe it makes more than $50 in two weeks. ;) Looks like you said $25 million below unless 20 + 5 no longer equals 25.

Literally no doubt. I'm sure there's some small cult following for the first movie that'll turn up opening weekend, give it a good $20m, then a steep dive to $5m the second weekend.

Even at $50 million over 2 weeks I say it goes over that easy.

D.Silentu

Perhaps the biggest sin of Maleficent was the potential it wasted, namely a good cast, an intriguing art design, and of course, Disney's greatest villain. This was the story that finally burned me out on the "Wicked" playbook. Even then it had not been original for a long time, and still it was rehashed lazily. If I bother to think about it I'm still confounded by the bizarre depiction of the king and the absurd fairies. I was as surprised as everyone here that it merited a sequel. I also find it an interesting paradox that it releases in the same month as another famous villain's spotlight movie, the Joker. It seems that the latter will pull no punches, and while Disney would (nor should) ever go so far, the least they could do is keep their villain a villain.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom