The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

SuddenStorm

And now for some Disneyland trivia... It's said that a show used to run here. A show that celebrated golden age and renaissance era Disney Animation through the "imagination" of Mickey Mouse.

Now, the stage lies dormant due to the show's untimely closure a few years back.

SuddenStorm

What are some of the other things?

To name a few ...

• Rope drop Haunted Mansion since your eyes haven't adjusted to the dark yet, making the attraction lighting seem more accurate to what was intended and hiding many of the maintenance flaws. You also get your own stretch room so you don't have to listen to wannabe ghost hosts. Once on the Doom buggy, I don't talk or let the people I'm on the buggy with talk.
  • If I have my way, only go to Disneyland and I avoid HMH and GE
  • More than willing to ditch my group (depending on who I'm with) to ride Splash single rider, and will ride splash as many times as possible if left unchecked.
The last few weeks of going with new groups of friends who aren't as... erm... crazy as myself have been interesting. Not used to waiting in hour long standby lines, spending hours a day in DCA, or not being able to do Lincoln, Tiki Room, the Riverboat, and other more niche Disneyland things since the group doesn't want too.

mickEblu

Original Poster
To name a few ...

• Rope drop Haunted Mansion since your eyes haven't adjusted to the dark yet, making the attraction lighting seem more accurate to what was intended and hiding many of the maintenance flaws. You also get your own stretch room so you don't have to listen to wannabe ghost hosts. Once on the Doom buggy, I don't talk or let the people I'm on the buggy with talk.
  • If I have my way, only go to Disneyland and I avoid HMH and GE
  • More than willing to ditch my group (depending on who I'm with) to ride Splash single rider, and will ride splash as many times as possible if left unchecked.
The last few weeks of going with new groups of friends who aren't as... erm... crazy as myself have been interesting. Not used to waiting in hour long standby lines, spending hours a day in DCA, or not being able to do Lincoln, Tiki Room, the Riverboat, and other more niche Disneyland things since the group doesn't want too.

# 1 is huge and I think the same goes for Pirates as well. NOS is great day or night (when Fantasmic isn’t playing) but POTC and HM are much more enjoyable during the day. Aside from the lighting being better the day to night transitions make the rides more special.

I try to do at least one of those niche Disneyland things every time I’m there. My favorite is riding the DLRR. I especially enjoy it at night lately. It’s tough getting those things in with large groups of non APs because everyone is trying to run to the next E ticket. As resident Disneyland tour guide of all my family and friends I’ll always try to throw in a ride they wouldn’t go on otherwise to add some variety like Alice or Casey Jr.

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

# 1 is huge and I think the same goes for Pirates as well. NOS is great day or night (when Fantasmic isn’t playing) but POTC and HM are much more enjoyable during the day. Aside from the lighting being better the day to night transitions make the rides more special.

I try to do at least one of those niche Disneyland things every time I’m there. My favorite is riding the DLRR. I especially enjoy it at night lately. It’s tough getting those things in with large groups of non APs because everyone is trying to run to the next E ticket. As resident Disneyland tour guide of all my family and friends I’ll always try to throw in a ride they wouldn’t go on otherwise to add some variety like Alice or Casey Jr.

A few months ago I rode Storybookland for the first time in like a decade.... I was blown away.

It's gotta be the single most charming and artistically pure attraction in the resort.

These niche Disneyland experiences that people often skip... Storybook, Casey Jr, Lincoln, Mark Twain (especially at night), Tiki, DLRR really define Disneyland and make a visit far more enriching then simply riding the E tickets across the resort.

I've found that the people I go with who care about Disneyland the least tend to also be the ones who only ride the big rides... And I imagine there's some correlation there. You're really missing out on what the park has to offer if you skip the diversions.

Tony said it best... and I'm paraphrasing here... Anyplace you can meet the 16 president, ride in a submarine, and fly on an elephant is pretty special and as you remove these little odd attractions the park becomes far less special.

mickEblu

Original Poster
A few months ago I rode Storybookland for the first time in like a decade.... I was blown away.

It's gotta be the single most charming and artistically pure attraction in the resort.

These niche Disneyland experiences that people often skip... Storybook, Casey Jr, Lincoln, Mark Twain (especially at night), Tiki, DLRR really define Disneyland and make a visit far more enriching then simply riding the E tickets across the resort.

I've found that the people I go with who care about Disneyland the least tend to also be the ones who only ride the big rides... And I imagine there's some correlation there. You're really missing out on what the park has to offer if you skip the diversions.

Tony said it best... and I'm paraphrasing here... Anyplace you can meet the 16 president, ride in a submarine, and fly on an elephant is pretty special and as you remove these little odd attractions the park becomes far less special.

If SWL did any good maybe they understand the Disneyland fan base a little better and will keep classic attractions like Storybookland intact.

SuddenStorm

Actually pretty good lot

If SWL did any good maybe they understand the Disneyland fan base a little better and will keep classic attractions like Storybookland intact.

I think that's what scares me most about Star Wars Land... It didn't contribute anything to the "charming and timeless" list of attractions the whole family can enjoy.

It's also why I'm wary of any Tomorrowland redo.... Do we really think WDI would have anything like the subs in a new land?

Last edited:

mickEblu

Original Poster
I think that's what scares me most about Star Wars Land... It contribute anything to the "charming and timeless" list of attractions the whole family can enjoy.

It's also why I'm wary of any Tomorrowland redo.... Do we really think WDI would have anything like the subs in a new land?

No. Not under Chapek.

Although I don’t consider the current subs timeless or charming but I get your point. The ride system and the variance that something like the Subs provide.

SuddenStorm

No. Not under Chapek.

Although I don’t consider the current subs rimless or charming but I get your point.

They definitely need reimagining... But the ride should remain. Such an amazing and unique ride system with tons of history, losing it would be a huge blow.

Not to mention, my roommate drives the subs and has been filling me in with all sorts of trivia and little bits about the attraction. It's actually really cool stuff.

Mac Tonight

Both in their current form? I say Autopia. If it was the Submarine Voyage then I’d say the subs. Although voting for Autopia keeps all the trees intact. Hmmm tough one
Subs, all the way but both should remain albeit with some modifications.
I think they could both use some modifications, but I also can't help but imagine gaining either attraction footprint for something brand new... and NOT Tron in a TL redo.

mickEblu

Original Poster
They definitely need reimagining... But the ride should remain. Such an amazing and unique ride system with tons of history, losing it would be a huge blow.

Not to mention, my roommate drives the subs and has been filling me in with all sorts of trivia and little bits about the attraction. It's actually really cool stuff.

Yeah I see what you re saying. They are both one of a kind attractions and both have a lot of history. Autopia just takes up so much room. If I Was in control I don’t think I could give them the Ax. I’d probably want them both reimagined like you say. But if you showed me some concept art for the Troncket Rods and the lagoon stays I just might be swayed. Tough one for me....

Until I remember who’s in charge and then I say just leave it all alone for now.

SuddenStorm

Yeah I see what you re saying. They are both one of a kind attractions in park and both have a lot of history. Autopia just takes up so much room. If I Was in control I don’t think I could give them the Ax. I’d probably want them both reimagined like you say. But if you showed me some concept art for the Troncket Rods and the lagoon stays I just might be swayed. Tough one for me....

Until I remember who’s in charge and then I say just leave it all alone for now.

In it's current form, Hondatopia is an embarrassment. It needs significant reworking... First and foremost a new track layout that utilizes tunnels and overpasses too minimize footprint without losing ride length. Add some real show scenes. Make the vehicles electric.

It's another sad victim of decades of neglect... One of the things where people go "remove it" only because Disney has let it rot instead of giving it the attention it deserves.

Mac Tonight

In it's current form, Hondatopia is an embarrassment. It needs significant reworking... First and foremost a new track layout that utilizes tunnels and overpasses too minimize footprint without losing ride length. Add some real show scenes. Make the vehicles electric.

It's another sad victim of decades of neglect... One of the things where people go "remove it" only because Disney has let it rot instead of giving it the attention it deserves.
Hmmm... reminds me of what happened to this little park in the swamps of Florida... Epcot Center or something like that...

mickEblu

Original Poster

Yeah I’d be all for that. And then please do something with those vehicles and how hard you have to crank down on that gas pedal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom