The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

NobodyElse

Average price comparison to Disneyland’s version, but the really good and FULL lobster rolls here in Boston can cost around $25 now.
But those are the nicely made ones that are very full of lobster and no ‘fillers’ like lettuce, celery, or onions.
Just straight up giant chunks of lobster meat with tasty mayo on a hot buttered yet crispy good
bun….
Oooohhhh yeaaahhh!

This is probably making @TP2000 hungry now!

TP, I am coming back to CA in September!!
Meet me at the exit of the arrival curbside pick up area at SNA and I will bring you a fresh one from Legal Seafoods in my mini cooler!!
😁

-

We usually wind up here once a trip:
James Hook & Co

Very good, but certainly not cheap.

TP2000

Lol, not sure if I'll ever make it back. Coincidentally, the rolls were featured last night in an America's Test Kitchen episode and looked delicious. Don't think I could kill a lobster though.

I love America's Test Kitchen too! You know, it's funny, I remember picking lobsters out of the tank at swanky restaurants decades ago and didn't think about what played out back in the kitchen.

But a few years ago I saw some videos about how to humanely kill a lobster, and I've done it that way ever since. In short, you put the live lobsters in the freezer for about 15 minutes and they basically go unconscious quickly. Then you take them out of the freezer and quickly pierce their head with a sharp kitchen knife, and it severs the brain chord and kills them instantly without pain. Then you can place them in the boiling water and not deal with the theatrics of them thrashing about.

After all my trips to Japan and Asia, and a love for great sushi (shout out to Sushi Tadokoro in old town San Diego!), one thing I will no longer eat is octopus. I've seen too many documentaries about how intelligent and savvy an octopus is. I'm giving them a pass on the menu from now on.

I wasn't exactly a starving student at the time thanks to a meal plan, but my discretionary income was more Dunkin' donut holes than lobster rolls.

That's hysterical! I lived in Boston as an older adult, but I bet it was a fun town to be a college kid.

Phroobar

I love America's Test Kitchen too! You know, it's funny, I remember picking lobsters out of the tank at swanky restaurants decades ago and didn't think about what played out back in the kitchen.

But a few years ago I saw some videos about how to humanely kill a lobster, and I've done it that way ever since. In short, you put the live lobsters in the freezer for about 15 minutes and they basically go unconscious quickly. Then you take them out of the freezer and quickly pierce their head with a sharp kitchen knife, and it severs the brain chord and kills them instantly without pain. Then you can place them in the boiling water and not deal with the theatrics of them thrashing about.

After all my trips to Japan and Asia, and a love for great sushi (shout out to Sushi Tadokoro in old town San Diego!), one thing I will no longer eat is octopus. I've seen too many documentaries about how intelligent and savvy an octopus is. I'm giving them a pass on the menu from now on.

That's hysterical! I lived in Boston as an older adult, but I bet it was a fun town to be a college kid.
That works for people too.
iu

TP2000

Well we know they use that C64 for selling annual passes and Halloween parties.

Actual shot of Disneyland's IT department.
iu

Am I misremembering, but didn't the Commodore system of the early 80's also have a tape player accessory for software you wrote? It would lay down your new software on standard audio tape cassettes, which you could buy cheap by the bundle at Radio Shack.

I miss Radio Shack. I had a CB radio installed in my Chrysler Cordoba in the late 70's, and would listen to the truckers chatter on road trips, just for entertainment's sake. That was back when the radio signals would go away once you got 50 miles outside of a city.

As for Disneyland IT, I fully believe this is their current setup. It's like their landing pages on their Apps and websites are always slick and shiny, but once you start poking around and trying to get actual information and assistance, it all falls apart on them quickly. Why is that??? I am reminded that it's probably because the senior executives are never asked to use their own product they sell to their customers, and instead are given reserved seating at restaurants and parades and shows and a plaid vest CM to whisk them in through the exit instead of dealing with Lightning Lane and Genie and Mobile Order.

TDA/TDO execs are idiots who don't even know how their own products work for their own paying customers. :banghead:

Phroobar

Am I misremembering, but didn't the Commodore system of the early 80's also have a tape player accessory for software you wrote? It would lay down your new software on standard audio tape cassettes, which you could buy cheap by the bundle at Radio Shack.

I miss Radio Shack. I had a CB radio installed in my Chrysler Cordoba in the late 70's, and would listen to the truckers chatter on road trips, just for entertainment's sake. That was back when the radio signals would go away once you got 50 miles outside of a city.

As for Disneyland IT, I fully believe this is their current setup. It's like their landing pages on their Apps and websites are always slick and shiny, but once you start poking around and trying to get actual information and assistance, it all falls apart on them quickly. Why is that??? I am reminded that it's probably because the senior executives are never asked to use their own product they sell to their customers, and instead are given reserved seating at restaurants and parades and shows and a plaid vest CM to whisk them in through the exit instead of dealing with Lightning Lane and Genie and Mobile Order.

TDA/TDO execs are idiots who don't even know how their own products work for their own paying customers. :banghead:
The other pages have more to do with just getting a barely functional product out there. They never get the off shore contractors to do phase 2 since the money was wasted on phase 1.

mickEblu

Original Poster
That's kind of the joke of the show. He's a serial killer that solves murders.

Haha yeah I got on the bandwagon late. Like really late. Probably after that image was even a thing. I think I saw the John Lithgow season and the final season. All after or right before the show ended.

TP2000

With Fine Corinthian leather?

Yes, of course. Ricardo and I would have had it no other way. The interior was a creamy white color with about a mile of glossy faux wood trim, which sounds awful to the young'uns here I'm sure, but at the time it was very chic. The exterior was a silver blue with a creamy white vinyl half roof. I don't have pics of it here at the beach house, but let me Google something close to it...

This one looks like it has a blue interior, instead of the cream white interior I had though.

1977-chrysler-cordoba-all-original-400ci-v8-727-automatic-51000-miles-vinyl-top-1.jpg

I was a young salesman at the time in a district that spanned from Seattle to Eugene. The Cordoba and I got around, I'll tell you that! :cool: You pull up to Earthquake Ethel's in Beaverton, Oregon to celebrate a good sales week in this beauty, and the other salesmen would know you were someone to be reckoned with.

(Earthquake Ethel's was a discotheque in Beaverton, a suburb of Portland, and it's claim to fame wasn't just the hottest disco scene in town, but a dance floor that would shake every hour on the hour while earthquake rumble sounds competed against the music and the crowd boogied down. I'm not making that up, it happened! 🤣 I would meet coworkers from the Portland supply office there on a Saturday night, socialize and dance a bit for at least one earthquake session, then slip away in the Cordoba to the gay bars down on Stark Street where I really boogied.)

I loved Radio Shack, and later Fry's. It's nowhere as much fun shopping for electronic doodads online, especially when I'm not sure what I need.

Yes, I'm the same way. I've already been to Fashion Valley since I arrived in San Diego; clothes shopping just can't be done online for me, even though I know my sizes and tastes.

Same thing for Disneyland. You just have to be there in Frontierland or Star Wars Land or Cars Land to find that thing or that t-shirt that you never knew you had to have. It can't be done online at shopdisney.com for me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom