The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

TP2000

Where were we? šŸ§

Ah yes, the abandoned California High Speed Rail project. They got all their drawings done for tunnels under the Angeles National Forest that will never be built! Or, more accurately, will only be built if someone wants to give California another $100 Billion (in current dollars, not 2035 dollars) and 20 more years to build them. šŸ¤£

California has to spend $35 Billion to build the only segment currently planned to operate, the 170 miles between Bakersfield and Merced. And that project won't be done for another decade, and there is no current plan for how to fund the daily operations of that bullet train to nowhere (With apologies to the 90,000 people who live in the perfectly fine town of Merced).

Last edited:

TP2000

For non West Coasters who can't see the California state government's vision of spending $35+ Billion and 25+ years to build a 170 mile bullet train to connect Bakersfield (population 410,000) to Merced (population 90,000) with a midway stop in Fresno (population 505,000), with an eventual plan $100+ Billion and 20 years later to expand it both ways to San Francisco and Los Angeles, it is similar in scale and scope as the following nonsensical high speed rail starter systems;

Pennsylvania: Allentown to Bedford, with a midway stop in Harrisburg for $35 Billion. If you spend another $100 Billion you can expand it 20 years later to a route from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh.

Deep South: Montgomery to Mobile, with a midway stop in Georgiana for $35 Billion. If you spend another $100 Billion you can expand it 20 years later to a route from Atlanta to New Orleans.

Midwest: Madison to Eau Claire, with a midway stop in Wisconsin Dells for $35 Billion. If you spend another $100 Billion you can expand it 20 years later to a route from Chicago to Minneapolis.

Meanwhile, Anaheim already got snookered 15 years ago into building a large and expensive ($185 Million in 2014 dollars!) southern terminal for a California High Speed Rail system that will likely never show up. Anaheim's high speed rail terminal now sits mostly abandoned, and is used only for dwindling numbers on Metrolink commuter trains that previously called at a modest platform next to parking lot a few hundred yards away.

The 2008 plan to build a monorail line from Anaheim's high speed rail station to the Disneyland Resort was also abandoned years ago.

IMG_60141.jpg

DrAlice

But... but... but.... the headline says Bay Area to LA is ApPrOvEd!!!!!! šŸ¤£

I laugh, but then I remember that I voted for that train. I voted for that train way back when I was a childless, unmarried, grad student.

My kid is now almost a teen. And. It. Still. Isn't. Built. So glad they have my tax money, though. :rolleyes:

TP2000

I laugh, but then I remember that I voted for that train. I voted for that train way back when I was a childless, unmarried, grad student.

My kid is now almost a teen. And. It. Still. Isn't. Built. So glad they have my tax money, though. :rolleyes:

You get a pass for being young and idealistic.

I voted for that train way back when I was a late middle aged, unmarried, career man at the top of my game who rarely votes yes on bond measures and increased taxes. But I voted yes on Prop 1A in 2008. Like so many other foolish Californians. :banghead:

TP2000

Isn't the media great? Especially when their Sacramento handlers spoon feed them such wonderful information.

This paragraph caught my eye on this 28 mile segment of tunnels under the San Gabriel Mountains that was just approved...

"The price tag for this portion of the project was estimated to be around $22.55 billion when the plan was originally drafted in 2018. CEO Brian Kelly said those estimates, adjusted for inflation in 2024, come in at around $28.6 billion, although an Authority spokesperson tells KTLA there is not currently an official update on costs."

A lowball current figure of over $28 Billion to go 28 miles. That's at least a Billion (with a B) dollars per mile. At current costs that haven't been updated in years. For a tunnel that won't begin construction for decades, if ever. What would that tunnel cost in 2040? And what transportation options/technology will we have in the 2040's we can't even imagine today?

The mind boggles at how they show up for work each day and think "Yup, I'm doing a good job on this train thing!"

Consumer

My hope, while in California, was to visit Walt's Carolwood Barn in Griffith Park to see the scale model of Mine Train Thru Nature's Wonderland. Unfortunately they're only open for several hours on the third Sunday of the every month. The last Sunday they were open on was Father's Day, which meant I wasn't free to visit. This next coming opening is their 25th Anniversary so they required reservations to visit, which was not advertised on their website so I missed out.

This is the second year I've tried to make it out there and haven't been able to. What an absolute bummer.

Parteecia

"Disneyland handed out umbrellas to riders stuck on the Incredicoaster at Disney California Adventure for half an hour while employees evacuated 20 people stranded on the 120-foot-tall roller coaster. ..."

It was nice of them to provide some shade.

Consumer

"Disneyland handed out umbrellas to riders stuck on the Incredicoaster at Disney California Adventure for half an hour while employees evacuated 20 people stranded on the 120-foot-tall roller coaster. ..."

I hope they received some Lightning Lanes.

PiratesMansion

Apparently the breakdown when I had to evacuate Big Thunder's 2nd lift on a recovering ankle wasn't newsworthy enough?!?

In all seriousness, I've never understood why "ride breaks down, which happens regularly, and is handled competently" is such a common story nowadays.

Phroobar

Apparently the breakdown when I had to evacuate Big Thunder's 2nd lift on a recovering ankle wasn't newsworthy enough?!?

In all seriousness, I've never understood why "ride breaks down, which happens regularly, and is handled competently" is such a common story nowadays.
It happens every day. I don't know if it is a combination of over engineering or teenager ride operators screwing up.

BrianLo

The difference between Disneyland and Magic Kingdom can so easily be encapsulated that Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion (and kind of important ancillary things like the monorail, railroad, Pooh, Lincoln) are closed for refurbs for my dates. Which will be fine, always happy to see a robust refurb lineup.

Magic Kingdom would keel over and die at the operational prospects. At least finally that park can arguably take offline one single E-ticket and not set the doomsday clock to midnight.

Disney Analyst

The difference between Disneyland and Magic Kingdom can so easily be encapsulated that Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion (and kind of important ancillary things like the monorail, railroad, Pooh, Lincoln) are closed for refurbs for my dates. Which will be fine, always happy to see a robust refurb lineup.

Magic Kingdom would keel over and die at the operational prospects. At least finally that park can arguably take offline one single E-ticket and not set the doomsday clock to midnight.

Yep. While it was a shame having three rides closed when we visited last week, itā€™s barely noticeable with such a stacked lineup.

TP2000

Rides are machines, and machines will always have issues even if everything else (guests, weather, efficiency, etc) was always perfect.

Not sure why news publications don't understand that.

It's just clickbait for them, because it's easy to get a photo of the stopped trains on Screamin'/Incredicoaster. And it looks dramatic because they're high up in the air on catwalks, giving the illusion of danger and suspense.

Likewise, similar breakdowns on Thunder Mountain don't get any play because you can't really see the brake zones for that ride from Frontierland, and even if you could they'd just be stopped on "solid ground" as Big Thunder has no suspended or aerial track segments. It wouldn't look nearly as cool as Screamin' trains stopped high up in the air.

This is lowest common denominator journalism, unfortunately. But at least it's easy to spot.

Rich T

So I went to Magic Kingdom today and rode TBA. (More on that soon in the Tiana thread.)

Rode Small World, among others. Being of Scottish blood, I just wanted to snap a photo of the rideā€™s epic, spectacular, no-expense-spared tribute to the land of my ancestors:
IMG_1581.jpeg

Last edited:

Parteecia

It's just clickbait for them, because it's easy to get a photo of the stopped trains on Screamin'/Incredicoaster. And it looks dramatic because they're high up in the air on catwalks, giving the illusion of danger and suspense.

Likewise, similar breakdowns on Thunder Mountain don't get any play because you can't really see the brake zones for that ride from Frontierland, and even if you could they'd just be stopped on "solid ground" as Big Thunder has no suspended or aerial track segments. It wouldn't look nearly as cool as Screamin' trains stopped high up in the air.

This is lowest common denominator journalism, unfortunately. But at least it's easy to spot.
I was just hoping that they got to keep the umbrellas.

TP2000

I was just hoping that they got to keep the umbrellas.

That's hysterical. šŸ¤£

And yes, it was a rather classy touch for DCA to do that and have that ready for them. I doubt they got to keep the umbrellas, but once they got down to the ground they should trade the umbrellas in for a cold bottle of water, a couple of Lightning Lane passes, and a very heartfelt apology from a Dockers-clad manager.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom