The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

TP2000

Who cares which of them has more money.

It came from a 10 second Google search I did after @smooch said Elon had run out of money somehow. Turns out, he's worth $208 Billion as of June, 2024.

Elon likes to put his foot in his mouth and behaves like a child with his temper tantrums. It isn't about Disney swallowing their pride. At this point I believe Tesla would do better without Elon.

Okay, but what about SpaceX? That's really the thing I think could enliven any of the existing empty Tomorrowland buildings. And SpaceX is often launching their rockets right over Disneyland from Vandenburgh Space Force Base.

It seems like a no brainer for; Launch Bay, Starcade, or the Tomorrowland Theater.

SpaceX Falcon rocket launches over Disneyland!
mwd0zhu4rl501.jpg

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That got me thinking... Did Elon really lose all his money and I didn't know about it? So I Googled.

By coincidence, Forbes Magazine just released an article on Wednesday, June 5th on the 10 wealthiest people on the planet currently. Elon Musk is #1. Although to be fair, it's all rather pointless once you've gone over a net worth of $50 Billion or so. Anyone know anyone with a net worth of only $50 Million, with an humble M instead of B? I don't. :(

One other thing I learned. Mr. Musk is only 52. His best earning years are still ahead of him. If there really is a feud between Bob Iger and Elon Musk, Mr. Iger needs to swallow his pride and bury the hatchet. Get SpaceX into an exhibit in one of any of the currently abandoned Tommorrowland buildings!

View attachment 790164
There are 9 people on that list that I'd rather have put investment in Disneyland than Elon.

We've had this discussion before, if the idea is just to get something/anything space related into Tomorrowland then hit up Bezos and have Blue Origin sponsor an attraction.

TP2000

We've had this discussion before, if the idea is just to get something/anything space related into Tomorrowland then hit up Bezos and have Blue Origin sponsor an attraction.

I had to go to Google because I've never heard of a Blue Origin rocket launch, or heard anyone talk about them.
Now I know why.

In 2023, Blue Origin had 1 rocket launch. So far in 2024, Blue Origin has had 1 rocket launch.

In 2023, SpaceX had 94 rocket launches. So Far in 2024, SpaceX has had 47 rocket launches.

Blue Origin plans 2 more launches this year. SpaceX plans 48 more launches this year. That's 8 per month in '24 for SpaceX.

I think it might be a better idea to have a rocket company that is actually sending up a lot of rockets every year be the sponsor for an exhibit in Tomorrowland. If you don't like the owner of the company, so be it. When Mommie Dearest came out in 1980 and exposed Joan Crawford as a truly horrible human being, we still went to the Pepsi-Cola show in the Golden Horseshoe. ;)

But Tomorrowland has too many abandoned buildings to not try something, anything, with a successful American company involved in rocketry and space.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

WDI and Elon? Imagine the possibilities.

“Let’s join Elon up ahead and find some rockets for our launch.”

“Elon wasn’t kidding, y’all. These rockets can launch. Hallelujah!”

“They sure can launch! No doubt. We’ll ask Elon to bring these rockets to our launch for sure.”

“My my, these rockets can launch!”

“They sure can launch! But we gotta keep searching for more rockets that launch.”

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I had to go to Google because I've never heard of a Blue Origin rocket launch, or heard anyone talk about them.
Now I know why.

In 2023, Blue Origin had 1 rocket launch. So far in 2024, Blue Origin has had 1 rocket launch.

In 2023, SpaceX had 94 rocket launches. So Far in 2024, SpaceX has had 47 rocket launches.

Blue Origin plans 2 more launches this year. SpaceX plans 48 more launches this year. That's 8 per month in '24 for SpaceX.

I think it might be a better idea to have a rocket company that is actually sending up a lot of rockets every year be the sponsor for an exhibit in Tomorrowland. If you don't like the owner of the company, so be it. When Mommie Dearest came out in 1980 and exposed Joan Crawford as a truly horrible human being, we still went to the Pepsi-Cola show in the Golden Horseshoe. ;)

But Tomorrowland has too many abandoned buildings to not try something, anything, with a successful American company involved in rocketry and space.

I mean we only talked about it for a few pages in this thread back in March the last time you kept insisting that SpaceX must sponsor an attraction in TL, I know its easy to forget.

Anyways, just as then the same thing now, Disney isn't going to ask Elon to have SpaceX sponsor an attraction and Elon isn't going to allow SpaceX to sponsor an attraction even if Disney asked. So the only way to get a space related attraction sponsored in Tomorrowland, provided that is what Disney wanted to do, is to have another space related company such as Blue Origin sponsor it. I know you think it should be SpaceX, but that isn't likely to happen so best to move on from that. You have a better chance of winning every state and national lottery at the same time than you do of having SpaceX sponsor an attraction.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Also since we are launching these rockets already why would this be good for Tomorrowland? Seems like a todayland concept 🤔

Rocket to the moon was outdated when we went to the moon so they changed it to Mars.
I mean I guess you could theme it to the Artemis program and have it updated as it progresses to the moon. And once the lunar base is established have it updated as the mission changes to Mars.

Have it sponsored by NASA and you can avoid any specific company involvement by any temperamental Billionaires.

DrAlice

I hate that I can't bring up Starship without it starting a debate about Elon Musk. Over 13,000 people work for SpaceX. I hate that his public persona often overshadows what that team of hardworking people has accomplished. On the one hand, I get it: he is bloody insufferable, hateful, and I wish he would shut his pie-hole. On the other hand, whatever he does at SpaceX internally inspires that workforce to work incredibly hard and accomplish incredible things. My long-time suspicion is that SpaceX is super successful because, at that company, Elon's leadership is tempered by the leadership of Gwynne Shotwell. He sets the aspirations, and she manages the workforce (and the government contracts) to get it done.

The funny thing about the suggestion of using NASA as a sponsor to avoid connections to temperamental billionaires is that NASA doesn't do anything alone anymore. SpaceX is building Starship, partially because it will be the lunar lander for the Artemis program. Blue Origin is also working on a second version of a lunar lander for Artemis. So, even if you put a NASA Artemis attraction in Tomorrowland, you would still feature designs connected to said temperamental billionaires. There's just no way around it.

Anyway, the only reason I brought up the last Starship test flight is because it was epic, and I know there is a lot of overlap between Disney fans and Space fans. I figured that some of you would enjoy it. :)

Phroobar

I hate that too but it's all his doing, like alienating Tesla's core buyers.

I think JPL would be a good partner. Their open houses are great.
What would JPL get out of sponsorships?
Sponsorships were another form of advertising to the public. Space X and JPL don't sell things to public.

The only thing JPL, NASA and Space X would be useful for is consulting. Disney would still fund the entire project including the "research" trips to Space X so imagineer executives can "learn" what is like to be in space.

Parteecia

Sponsorships were another form of advertising to the public. Space X and JPL don't sell things to public.

The only thing JPL, NASA and Space X would be useful for is consulting. Disney would still fund the entire project including the "research" trips to Space X so imagineer executives can "learn" what is like to be in space.
Didn't the Buzz store area used to be a space exhibit? They had a Mars rover and other toys. I seriously wanted the aerogel on display. They could do that again. Fill up some emptiness. Get Cal Tech and Harvey Mudd to create competing displays.

Phroobar

Well… I imagine today’s Disney would have little trouble placing it anywhere and calling it a day. If it was me, though… Fantasyland Theater replacement.
That's prime real-estate there. That is where the Snow Queen boat ride was going to be.
iu

Didn't the Buzz store area used to be a space exhibit? They had a Mars rover and other toys. I seriously wanted the aerogel on display. They could do that again. Fill up some emptiness. Get Cal Tech and Harvey Mudd to create competing displays.
It did. That was part of an education government grant. Do we really want a shop filled with Air & Space museum store merch?

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Well in my opinion NASA could use it to as an opportunity to bring space exploration back to the forefront of the public consciousness, specifically their role. As of 2023 over 65% of the population believes NASA will or should have no role in future space exploration. And that their only role should be to protect us from threats from space.

To me that is naive, as NASA will certainly be involved in any future space exploration missions. And just like the Apollo and other missions of old, are/should be leading them in a joint public/private partnership, like the Artemis program.

But yes Disney could do everything on their own and just have any space related company or entity like NASA as an advisor.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom