The Mine Train 'temper your expectations' thread

ptaylor

Premium Member
Original Poster
Being up-close to the main train, it is pretty clear that this ride is going to be tame - maybe marginally more thrilling than the barnstormer. With this being in Fantasyland, it is entirely appropriate.

I just get the feeling that people are thinking this ride is going to be far more than it actually is. Your thoughts?

tl77

They've been billing it as a "family coaster" all along and Fantasyland is the place for families. I look at the Mine Train as being a little more exciting than Snow White's Scary Adventure than as something to compete with Space Mountain, but I think the combination of the swing cars and show scenes should make it a "fun" ride not a "thrill" ride

doctornick

To me, how good the Mine Train ends up will depend far more on the quality of the show scenes than on the "thrill" (speed, drops, whatever). That's why what I am curious about the cottage and what will end up there and how long the main show area in the mine is. I'm also curious about the mine entrance where the vehicles pass right by -- will there be something there?

I like seeing the vultures as decor and hope other touches like that will occur.

PlaneJane

In the Parks
No
Cute is what it's going to be, and beautiful. Still doesn't excuse the time wasted on building this thing. If anyone is disappointed its because it took 2.5 years to build the coaster which should have taken far less.
Ok, so maybe not the best excuse in the world but.. I worked commercial construction for a year on much more boring things, door installations, trim, accessories, bathroom accessories, ect. When you are working construction you work based on a set time frame that you bid on before the job is completed. If you are a good estimator you will be able to give the most accurate cost and time wise bid, but the problem is someone will always underbid you if you give yourself a little slack. So you if you did win the bid you are working against time to make a profit.

Those guys in the hard hats for the most part work on a per piece salary. I can tell you that the last thing you want to do is sit there with a thumb up your butt losing money. In a perfect world and/or Japan things work like clockwork slap that stuff together and get it done, but it just doesn't work that way on a busy construction site. You have different crews getting in your way, you have red tape both in paperwork and physical red tape that prevent you getting to where you need to go. Concerns for safety in both the crew and for guests outweigh the need to work faster. I didn't have to deal with the guest issue but there were days that you have to wait for one crew to clear out before the other crew was allowed it. Unless you had someone else to work your day was hurry up and wait.

You have to think of all the other big rides that have been made that featured as much technical engineering they have all been on the edge of the guest area, not right smack in the middle. Its going to take longer to do, its going to be more tedious because you aren't allowed to have equipment and supplies located right next to the site.

To sum it up, that ride was a tiny space in the middle of a guest area with a lot of engineering to be done. I might have rambled a bit but if you are out there doing something similar it is easier to understand why it might take longer.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Cute is what it's going to be, and beautiful. Still doesn't excuse the time wasted on building this thing. If anyone is disappointed its because it took 2.5 years to build the coaster which should have taken far less.

Which is going to be very few people. The vast majority of average guests really don't follow how long something takes to build. For a lot of guests there last visit will have been before construction started and next after so they will have no clue how long it took to build.

Sped2424

Ok, so maybe not the best excuse in the world but.. I worked commercial construction for a year on much more boring things, door installations, trim, accessories, bathroom accessories, ect. When you are working construction you work based on a set time frame that you bid on before the job is completed. If you are a good estimator you will be able to give the most accurate cost and time wise bid, but the problem is someone will always underbid you if you give yourself a little slack. So you if you did win the bid you are working against time to make a profit.

Those guys in the hard hats for the most part work on a per piece salary. I can tell you that the last thing you want to do is sit there with a thumb up your butt losing money. In a perfect world and/or Japan things work like clockwork slap that stuff together and get it done, but it just doesn't work that way on a busy construction site. You have different crews getting in your way, you have red tape both in paperwork and physical red tape that prevent you getting to where you need to go. Concerns for safety in both the crew and for guests outweigh the need to work faster. I didn't have to deal with the guest issue but there were days that you have to wait for one crew to clear out before the other crew was allowed it. Unless you had someone else to work your day was hurry up and wait.

You have to think of all the other big rides that have been made that featured as much technical engineering they have all been on the edge of the guest area, not right smack in the middle. Its going to take longer to do, its going to be more tedious because you aren't allowed to have equipment and supplies located right next to the site.

To sum it up, that ride was a tiny space in the middle of a guest area with a lot of engineering to be done. I might have rambled a bit but if you are out there doing something similar it is easier to understand why it might take longer.
I believe it has been said on here (by many) that the reason this ride took so long was simply to save money on round the clock construction. So while you explanation is well meant it doesn't really apply to this situation.

PlaneJane

In the Parks
No
I believe it has been said on here (by many) that the reason this ride took so long was simply to save money on round the clock construction. So while you explanation is well meant it doesn't really apply to this situation.
Round the clock construction does apply because it would allow the crew to get better access to the site with less restrictions.. I had a couple of jobs that didn't allow access to the site after 6 pm unless we were granted special permission. It would bum you out if you were in the middle of a big installation and you would have to stop work right in the middle clean up, get your tools together, and get off site before that timeframe. When you are working a 12+ hour day you want to get to a proper stopping point, instead of stopping, loading up, and then breaking all your tools out again just to finish.

Sped2424

Round the clock construction does apply because it would allow the crew to get better access to the site with less restrictions.. I had a couple of jobs that didn't allow access to the site after 6 pm unless we were granted special permission. It would bum you out if you were in the middle of a big installation and you would have to stop work right in the middle clean up, get your tools together, and get off site before that timeframe. When you are working a 12+ hour day you want to get to a proper stopping point, instead of stopping, loading up, and then breaking all your tools out again just to finish.
I am telling you now the end date for new fantasyland has always been 2014, whether it was the mine train or pixie hollow. If you don't think Disney could have started construction on this thing sooner with the rest of new fantasyland you would be wrong.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I am telling you now the end date for new fantasyland has always been 2014, whether it was the mine train or pixie hollow. If you don't think Disney could have started construction on this thing sooner with the rest of new fantasyland you would be wrong.

There is no reason that the mine ride couldn't have been under construction at the same time as everything else. Would have made the logistics on the site a little trickier, but it could have been done. The original permits for the M&G's that were going to be where the mine ride is now were filed at the same time as the ones for the rest of the expansion.

Sped2424

There is no reason that the mine ride couldn't have been under construction at the same time as everything else. Would have made the logistics on the site a little trickier, but it could have been done. The original permits for the M&G's that were going to be where the mine ride is now were filed at the same time as the ones for the rest of the expansion.
Exactly^

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom