The Merch Alert Thread

SuddenStorm

@SuddenStorm are you expecting any merch for Splash Mountains 30th coming up? Aside from the new Br’er plushes.

Oof, this is a question that can be answered in one word: 'No'. But, I'm gonna write a few paragraphs anyways...

At most, I'm guessing we'll get a new art release and maybe a Jim Shore piece.

Which sucks, since it's a ride that could be merchandised very easily. The show scenes in Splash Mountain lend themselves perfectly for the Olszewski light boxes. A high quality Olszewski model of the attraction facade would also be amazing. And, a proper release of the attraction poster would be cool too, but Disney doesn't even have it displayed in the tunnels anymore (yet Nemo gets two posters on display :rolleyes:) I also want them to start pumping out merchandise I'm interested in so I can take advantage of my friend's discount this fall.

And, I'd love for some of the more researched Imagineers and Disney authors to start writing more about it's creation. One can only read the "Freeway epiphany" story so many times before getting annoyed with the lack of any substantive research into the ride's troubled construction and creative process. Haunted Mansion continues to have new research and info emerge 50 years after it opened- Tom Morris is revealing new research at the Doombuggies event August 9 (that I'm trying to talk myself into going too, since I'll be moving to Anaheim two days later). I hate that Splash Mountain has just about zero substantive information available about it's history.

But it's crazy to think that in 15 days, Splash Mountain will be 30. If there's one thing that shines through in every story about Splash Mountain's development, it's the passion the designers had for both Disney and Disneyland. I recently stumbled across the audio for a presentation Bruce Gordon gave in 1987 where he walks through the entire ride experience, and the humor, wit, tone, and passion he gave is completely absent in the artificial interviews WDI puts out today for their new projects.

Disney- you have more than two rides in your park you can make money off of. Not everything needs to be Pirates and Mansion, and I'd love for a stronger focus to be placed on developing merchandise that honors Disneyland and it's attractions beyond T shirts and pins- stuff that can help strengthen the fanbase and make Disneyland a touch more respectable than only hawking cheap plastic buckets at annual passholders.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Oof, this is a question that can be answered in one word: 'No'. But, I'm gonna write a few paragraphs anyways...

At most, I'm guessing we'll get a new art release and maybe a Jim Shore piece.

Which sucks, since it's a ride that could be merchandised very easily. The show scenes in Splash Mountain lend themselves perfectly for the Olszewski light boxes. A high quality Olszewski model of the attraction facade would also be amazing. And, a proper release of the attraction poster would be cool too, but Disney doesn't even have it displayed in the tunnels anymore (yet Nemo gets two posters on display :rolleyes:) I also want them to start pumping out merchandise I'm interested in so I can take advantage of my friend's discount this fall.

And, I'd love for some of the more researched Imagineers and Disney authors to start writing more about it's creation. One can only read the "Freeway epiphany" story so many times before getting annoyed with the lack of any substantive research into the ride's troubled construction and creative process. Haunted Mansion continues to have new research and info emerge 50 years after it opened- Tom Morris is revealing new research at the Doombuggies event August 9 (that I'm trying to talk myself into going too, since I'll be moving to Anaheim two days later). I hate that Splash Mountain has just about zero substantive information available about it's history.

But it's crazy to think that in 15 days, Splash Mountain will be 30. If there's one thing that shines through in every story about Splash Mountain's development, it's the passion the designers had for both Disney and Disneyland. I recently stumbled across the audio for a presentation Bruce Gordon gave in 1987 where he walks through the entire ride experience, and the humor, wit, tone, and passion he gave is completely absent in the artificial interviews WDI puts out today for their new projects.

Disney- you have more than two rides in your park you can make money off of. Not everything needs to be Pirates and Mansion, and I'd love for a stronger focus to be placed on developing merchandise that honors Disneyland and it's attractions beyond T shirts and pins- stuff that can help strengthen the fanbase and make Disneyland a touch more respectable than only hawking cheap plastic buckets at annual passholders.

I would buy a “Laughin Place” Olszewski light box in a hot second. Ya it’s kind of odd how they don’t make any solid merch for any attractions outside of POTC and HM once in a awhile.

I think Chapek combining imagineering (?) with Merchandising is about the only good thing he did. The merchandise has slowly been getting better. It was pretty awful about 5 years ago.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Glad to see Olszewski making new light boxes again. The last one was for DLs 60th. Hopefully he ll start making new ones for the park.

This one is for Sleeping Beauty's 60th...

C9D8CBE8-27DC-4D01-A92D-E4861BF70687.jpeg

Touchdown

The 30th anniversary Splash Mountain merch arrived. Picked up the T-shirt at Disneyana on Main Street. It’s really nice, it’s tan with a upper left 30th anniversary logo on the top left and outlines of the Brers down the left side with a full color large logo on the left with all three characters and large logo on the back.

It’s so nice to find a t shirt that isn’t navy, black, or white for once.
71AA2B8E-AE25-45D9-9513-442180AA129F.jpeg
DBB0C450-963D-40D6-AF1B-B2C3AC6BAF07.jpeg

Last edited:

George Lucas on a Bench

I went on Splash Mountain recently and noticed several of the robots looked fairly refurbished and especially stuffed animal-like. However, still some broken features and poor lighting.

mickEblu

Original Poster
The 30th anniversary Splash Mountain merch arrived. Picked up the T-shirt at Disneyana on Main Street. It’s really nice, it’s tan with a upper left 30th anniversary logo on the top left and outlines of the Brers down the left side with a full color large logo on the left with all three characters and large logo on the back.

It’s so nice to find a t shirt that isn’t navy, black, or white for once.View attachment 389949View attachment 389950

I’m just not into anniversary merch. I hate things with dates on them. With that said it’s nice to seem then give the attraction a nod. I would like to see some cool collectibles. Splash Mountain only seems to get frames, shirts and plush. And that one Olszewski box from years ago.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom