The Merch Alert Thread

Phroobar

Funko POP! Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - R5 Unit (Target Exclusive)

GUEST_4c3335da-2986-4821-a4a2-d109f5f09a82

mickEblu

Original Poster

I’m kind of torn on this as I collect all the Park related POPs but why not make him Black like the one on the ride? For 8.99 maybe I should just buy now and think later.

mmelka

I’m kind of torn on this as I collect all the Park related POPs but why not make him Black like the one on the ride? For 8.99 maybe I should just buy now and think later.

This was my thought as well. Why not model the paint after the actual droid from the attraction? Seems odd. Not that R units don't have different paint schemes, but this particular one is modeled after a specific droid. Maybe it is just a Target color scheme?

mickEblu

Original Poster
This was my thought as well. Why not model the paint after the actual droid from the attraction? Seems odd. Not that R units don't have different paint schemes, but this particular one is modeled after a specific droid. Maybe it is just a Target color scheme?

It’s just them dropping the ball is what it is and thinking most people will buy it regardless. Or perhaps they think red pops more (no pun intended) and more people will buy it in that color.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I thought you were going cold turkey on the Park Pops?

‘Tis true. I was very upset but I have since cooled down And rationalized continuing my POP collection based on the fact that the Splash Mountain change isn’t happening anytime soon and may possibly not happen. Until I see walls around Splash Mountain everything is fair game. Besides, I was going to have to go to the park and say my goodbye anyway. Also, I’m probably 2/3 of the way into this collection based on my estimate Of how many more of these they can Make so it’s a tough one. I think any collection that was in process should continue. Lastly I can always sell them and make at least my money back so I may as well buy them at sticker price now and not on eBay later.

I do standby what I said though. No Splash, no AP for me. If I hear that Splash is sticking around until 2022 or later I may even buy the APs I was planning on buying next Spring.

When they first announced this I don’t think any of us thought they might be 2 years + out from even just starting construction. That’s because they weren’t announcing in normal conditions but to take advantage of some “good” PR.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Gah...I'm sorry but I just can't get into the 'Pop' figure craze.

Those generic, solid black circular eyes stare out at me unblinkingly and try to suck the marrow from my deepest bones.
Such a turn off....but your milage may vary.

I personally would find them far more appealing and desireable to collect if they didn't all have those 'trademark' eyes.
Some of the sculpts / figure designs are neat but THOSE EYES.
Lifeless, with no personality...'trademark Pop Figure' look.
Blah..

-

Mac Tonight

Gah...I'm sorry but I just can't get into the 'Pop' figure craze.

Those generic, solid black circular eyes stare out at me unblinkingly and try to suck the marrow from my deepest bones.
Such a turn off....but your milage may vary.

I personally would find them far more appealing and desireable to collect if they didn't all have those 'trademark' eyes.
Some of the sculpts / figure designs are neat but THOSE EYES.
Lifeless, with no personality...'trademark Pop Figure' look.
Blah..

-
I'd say they're definitely an acquired taste. Personally, I like their overall designs and the fact that they always seem to come out with stuff you wouldn't normally expect to find a figure of. Like, characters from The Office, the McDonaldland gang, and old school food and drink mascots. Not to mention all the Disneyland Park Rides.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I'd say they're definitely an acquired taste. Personally, I like their overall designs and the fact that they always seem to come out with stuff you wouldn't normally expect to find a figure of. Like, characters from The Office, the McDonaldland gang, and old school food and drink mascots. Not to mention all the Disneyland Park Rides.

I mean I was able to buy a Judge Doom figure of him dipping the poor scared shoe. Where else can this happen?

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

R5 on the ride is not red. He is a black droid that has different color lights. They couldn't even get that right.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Preorder the Falcon at Target.com

That is soooooo not worth the price they are asking for. that should be 50 bucks at the highest. there is nothing different about that version of the falcon compared to prev released versions. there are a ton of chewie toys out there. no one cares about porgs nor are there porgs at galaxy's edge or on the ride or in the falcon on the ride, and no one wants to pay 400 bucks to own a hondo figure that should cost less than 10 bucks. no one is going to buy that thing.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

View attachment 486177

Pretty sure it's based off this one that's outside of the Droid Depot. It is an R5 unit present in Galaxy's Edge so.....
Well that makes more sense but still a dumb move because when they label a droid named "R5" everyone is thinking of the one from the ride. Who would want a figure of a random droid outside the droid depot and not the one that is on the ride vehicle with you? What genius came up wit this idea? They could even sell multiple versions of the one from the ride with the different colors: red, blue, etc so you can collect them all. so they still did not get it right.

Last edited:
The red R5 Funko as a Target exclusive makes perfect sense. I'm betting they are planning on a release of the black R5 as a ride vehicle version, but just like most POPs you'll be able to get them in every color imaginable soon enough.

Phroobar

That is soooooo not worth the price they are asking for. that should be 50 bucks at the highest. there is nothing different about that version of the falcon compared to prev released versions. there are a ton of chewie toys out there. no one cares about porgs nor are there porgs at galaxy's edge or on the ride or in the falcon on the ride, and no one wants to pay 400 bucks to own a hondo figure that should cost less than 10 bucks. no one is going to buy that thing.
You do know that thing is nearly 3ft long, with lights and sounds and full interior. It even has a motorized ramp! The figures are repacks. Granted it should be $200. But like Apple, you have to pay the Disney tax.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom