the MANY problems with Genie+ and paid FastPass (or whatever they are calling it)

UNCgolf

I don't know what this has to do with Genie+, or why people are even arguing about it, but simple math is enough to tell you that most people aren't at rope drop on any given day. If they were, rides (especially the major ones) would have their highest standby wait times (likely 2+ hours for all headliners) within the first 20-30 minutes of opening as tens of thousands of guests all rushed them at once.

Also, actually getting into the park would be a nightmarish hellscape with that number of guests all trying to get in at the same time.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Well, like to smart guy I am (very sarcastic btw :joyfull: ) I booked a trip for January 2022 back in January of 2021, tickets purchased and all. I'll still be going but this might be my last trip for a while depending on how this new system goes.

Jeff4272

Original Poster
I don't know what this has to do with Genie+, or why people are even arguing about it, but simple math is enough to tell you that most people aren't at rope drop on any given day. If they were, rides would all have their highest standby wait times within the first 20-30 minutes of opening as tens of thousands of guests all rushed them at once.

Also, actually getting into the park would be a nightmarish hellscape with that number of guests all trying to get in at the same time.
Yes correct I agree............point is, Genie+ is biased to Rope Droppers (like paper FP was, if you went later they were gone)

and the vast majority of guests (my guess is 75-80%) are not rope droppers....

so why is WDW penalizing most of its guests?

Why dont they allow you to choose return times?

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Well, like to smart guy I am (very sarcastic btw :joyfull: ) I booked a trip for January 2022 back in January of 2021, tickets purchased and all. I'll still be going but this might be my last trip for a while depending on how this new system goes.
Agreed. There are bound to be teething problems when they first introduce this new system. How quickly they address the issues will be the interesting part.
Give it 6 months to a year to bed in and I think it will be a lot better.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Agreed. There are bound to be teething problems when they first introduce this new system. How quickly they address the issues will be the interesting part.
Give it 6 months to a year to bed in and I think it will be a lot better.
I can certainly see how this might become a show stopper for some if it doesn't pan out how Disney intends. I was a fan of the paper system and MaxPass but Genie and Genie + just seem like it makes planning even more convoluted even though the PR machine says to the contrary.

UNCgolf

Yes correct I agree............point is, Genie+ is biased to Rope Droppers (like paper FP was, if you went later they were gone)

and the vast majority of guests (my guess is 75-80%) are not rope droppers....

so why is WDW penalizing most of its guests?

Why dont they allow you to choose return times?

Aren't rides always biased towards rope droppers, though? The whole reason people rope drop is so they can get on a ride before the majority of guests are there and have a shorter wait (which, again, is why it seems clear that most people don't rope drop or that wouldn't be true).

It doesn't matter in the Universal system since you don't need a return time, but that system wouldn't be feasible at WDW unless it was priced exorbitantly high.

Since people can only book one at a time, or at most 2 or 3 if you're allowed to book one something like every 90 minutes, even if you didn't try to get one until 11 AM there should still be plenty available. I don't think it will be as big a problem as you're expecting.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I can certainly see how this might become a show stopper for some if it doesn't pan out how Disney intends. I was a fan of the paper system and MaxPass but Genie and Genie + just seem like it makes planning even more convoluted even though the PR machine says to the contrary.
Looks that way to me also but as we haven't experienced it live then it seems wrong to doom it before it starts.

mysto

Yes they are charging for this but I don't personally see that as a problem. Yes there is a slight shift from planners to morning people, again I don't see it as a problem. Some of the mechanics have been announced but DG+ in practice is still somewhat of an unknown. You can't tell the internet to make Disney do what you want. Well, you can but it won't.

Jeff4272

Original Poster
Aren't rides always biased towards rope droppers, though? The whole reason people rope drop is so they can get on a ride before the majority of guests are there and have a shorter wait (which, again, is why it seems clear that most people don't rope drop or that wouldn't be true).

It doesn't matter in the Universal system since you don't need a return time, but that system wouldn't be feasible at WDW unless it was priced exorbitantly high.

Since people can only book one at a time, or at most 2 or 3 if you're allowed to book one something like every 90 minutes, even if you didn't try to get one until 11 AM there should still be plenty available. I don't think it will be as big a problem as you're expecting.
Rides are, but why are Fast Passes (or whatever they are calling this)

They let you pick return time for paid FP (or whatever they are calling it) why not Genie+?

You'd still only be able to get one every 120 minutes and they could cap it something like you cant hold more than 3 at a time

But alot of people Park Hop, go to water parks or just sleep in

what would be the difference if at 7am i wanted to book Soarin at 5pm (before i go to Le Cellier at Epcot for dinner after going to Typhon Lagoon for the day) and then 120 mins later I book Frozen at 7pm (before i see Harmonious) and then Test Track at 8pm on my way out (assuming GoG and Remy are the top 2)

dreday3

Just a thought about getting on the big rides at rope-drop.

Yes, not all the rides are open and it's only 30 minutes, but remember it's all 4 parks at once, every day. That's big.

And if the percentage of people who rope-drop is apparently so low already, imagine that percentage spread across 4 parks. That makes being able to knock out a headliner or two at rope-drop much more attainable.

UNCgolf

Just a thought about getting on the big rides at rope-drop.

Yes, not all the rides are open and it's only 30 minutes, but remember it's all 4 parks at once, every day. That's big.

And if the percentage of people who rope-drop is apparently so low already, imagine that percentage spread across 4 parks. That makes being able to knock out a headliner or two at rope-drop much more attainable.

I think the number of rope droppers will increase, both because of Disney pushing the early 30 minutes as a resort perk and people getting up to book a Genie+ at 7 AM. No idea how much it will increase, though.

dreday3

I think the number of rope droppers will increase, both because of Disney pushing the early 30 minutes as a resort perk and people getting up to book a Genie+ at 7 AM. No idea how much it will increase, though.

I don't know....I'm reading so many people who hate getting up at 7 am on vacation! For once I thank god for my internal alarm clock! 😂

But we will see. I think Animal Kingdom may have the best early entry because almost everything is open except Safari?

Jeff4272

Original Poster
I think opposite.......I think alot of the rope droppers were locals/AP holders and they are now shut out of that and most resort people sleep in/go later

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom