The Land: Handwich

Nemo14

jgrnat4610 said:
Hey does anyone remember the meat and cheese Handwich? It was the best value in Epcot. Why did they take it away??:mad:
We used to love all the choices at the Land - now it's.....different....

MissM

Nemo14 said:
We used to love all the choices at the Land - now it's.....different....
I have to admit, there's nothing I want to eat there anymore. Which totally stinks since it used to be the best place to pick-and-chose from a lot of different items. Sure there's still a variety, but I don't need goat cheese, beets, and wild greens. :hurl: Just not my style in the slightest.
-m

dxwwf3

Oh man, they had the recipe for these on the Disney Channel back in the 80's (You know WAY back when adults could watch) and she makes them at home all the time.

I'm glad Disney is offering more variety in the counter service realm, but I can't say there is anything at Sunshine Seasons that I care anything about. I'm a picky eater, so I guess that's natural. But I'm not going to complain about it because it is good to have something different for other guests.

the-reason14

All I know is the land now has those chicken ligs, and they are SO GOOD. I would hop over to epcot from other parks just to eat them.

tink rules

I used to get the handwich with the shrimp salad... I always liked that one...

It's nice to see some variety but I miss some of the things they had at the Land

typhoonguy

tink rules said:
I used to get the handwich with the shrimp salad... I always liked that one...

It's nice to see some variety but I miss some of the things they had at the Land

I absolutely LOVE the sunshine seasons. An AMAZING salmon dish with yummy garlic red-skinned mashed potatoes for 9 bucks! Cant beat it! And the asian stirfry is great too! All kinds of good stuff. I too hop over there to eat even when visiting other parks. That sauce they put on the side of the salmon... I keep forgeting to ask for the recipe. And I agree the chicken legs are good too.+

uglybug2005

I too have fond memories of Disney's Handwich (the sandwich of the future). They also sold them at the Lunching Pad in Tomorrowland. I tell people about them all the time. They disappeared from the menus back in the early 90s some time.
The "Oriental Cheese-Dog" is an item that I miss much less.

I don't eat as much at Sunshine Seasons now, but I like the idea of getting more variety than chicken strips and burgers. I just wish there could be more of a happy middle ground between Pecos Bill and Studio Catering Co.

Starring Rolls, Pinnochio Village Haus, Columbia Harbour House, Tusker House, and Earl of Sandwich all exist in that "middle ground" for me, but People are all different. Listen to guests ask CMs about dining and for every "Is there ANYWHERE that doesn't serve just burgers?!?!?" you'll hear "Is there ANYWHERE that just serves regular food, like burgers?!?!?" Both equally silly questions if you've been reading any of the menus, but common points of view nonetheless.

Tigger1988

uglybug2005 said:
I too have fond memories of Disney's Handwich (the sandwich of the future). They also sold them at the Lunching Pad in Tomorrowland. I tell people about them all the time. They disappeared from the menus back in the early 90s some time.
The "Oriental Cheese-Dog" is an item that I miss much less.

I don't eat as much at Sunshine Seasons now, but I like the idea of getting more variety than chicken strips and burgers. I just wish there could be more of a happy middle ground between Pecos Bill and Studio Catering Co.

Starring Rolls, Pinnochio Village Haus, Columbia Harbour House, Tusker House, and Earl of Sandwich all exist in that "middle ground" for me, but People are all different. Listen to guests ask CMs about dining and for every "Is there ANYWHERE that doesn't serve just burgers?!?!?" you'll hear "Is there ANYWHERE that just serves regular food, like burgers?!?!?" Both equally silly questions if you've been reading any of the menus, but common points of view nonetheless.

Earl of Sandwhich is amazing! But yes, since they changed the Land's food I don't see myself eating there much.

wannab@dis

Tigger1988 said:
Earl of Sandwhich is amazing! But yes, since they changed the Land's food I don't see myself eating there much.
That's a shame because it's much better now. Lots of great items that show off different flavors. Give it a try!

dxwwf3

wannab@dis said:
That's a shame because it's much better now. Lots of great items that show off different flavors. Give it a try!

I don't think so. Like I said, I'm glad there is a place that offers something different, but I think this is the only downgrade from the Land refurbishment. The old set up was unique and now it basically looks like a value resort food court.

Chape19714

I do appricate being able to make your own drink in The Land. I HATE ice in soda, and so it's perfect for me. Although I must admit, I do ask for it without ice at the other counter-service restraunts. I've never had a problem with that they always get it right! Then agian, I know how to put it in the computer, after seeing it done so many times.:lookaroun

bhg469

I have to jump in here and say that the food in the land is excellent, i dont remember how it used to be but the quality of the food is very good there now. I think i had some beef pita with a pesto style sauce on it. One of the best counter service spots by far!

typhoonguy

dxwwf3 said:
I don't think so. Like I said, I'm glad there is a place that offers something different, but I think this is the only downgrade from the Land refurbishment. The old set up was unique and now it basically looks like a value resort food court.

Just like to point out that those of us that like it are speaking of the food and the quality of the food, not the layout or the atmosphere like you mention above.

dxwwf3

typhoonguy said:
Just like to point out that those of us that like it are speaking of the food and the quality of the food, not the layout or the atmosphere like you mention above.

Good point, but I wasn't just talking about the layout. There is nothing I saw on the menu that interested me. I'm all for having different items in a counter service setting for others, but it wouldn't hurt to have some less exotic stuff as well. How about something as simple as a grilled chicken breast with baked potato or rice pilaf? You can be creative without going to the extreme. And the Handwich was a perfect example of that.

scottnj1966

jgrnat4610 said:
Hey does anyone remember the meat and cheese Handwich? It was the best value in Epcot. Why did they take it away??:mad:

Yes I remember them selling them at the Magic Kingdom also under the star jets
They were ahead of there time.....now we have wraps hahaha

DisneyDragon

I enjoyed those handwiches for lunch, since I knew I'd be sitting down in WS for dinner (somewhere different every trip).

While different, those open-faced sandwiches in Norway are now my favourite for lunch - good food, Rignes beer and those lovely Norwegian ladies...yeehaw!

typhoonguy

dxwwf3 said:
Good point, but I wasn't just talking about the layout. There is nothing I saw on the menu that interested me. I'm all for having different items in a counter service setting for others, but it wouldn't hurt to have some less exotic stuff as well. How about something as simple as a grilled chicken breast with baked potato or rice pilaf? You can be creative without going to the extreme. And the Handwich was a perfect example of that.
I see your point, and it is valid. I just don't quite see the Sunshine Seasons as being extreme. The main menu items at the Sunshine Seasons are Stir-fry, Salmon with Mashed Potatoes, Rotisserie Chicken, Gyros, Salads, Cuban Sandwiches and Sushi. These all seem quite normal to me, and in fact maybe a bit more 'upscale' but certainly not extreme. Just my personal opinion. I'll be eating lunch there tomorrow as a matter of fact :) Now I just have to figure out if I want the beef stir-fry or the Salmon with Pesto....... Tough Choice!

dxwwf3

typhoonguy said:
I see your point, and it is valid. I just don't quite see the Sunshine Seasons as being extreme. The main menu items at the Sunshine Seasons are Stir-fry, Salmon with Mashed Potatoes, Rotisserie Chicken, Gyros, Salads, Cuban Sandwiches and Sushi. These all seem quite normal to me, and in fact maybe a bit more 'upscale' but certainly not extreme. Just my personal opinion. I'll be eating lunch there tomorrow as a matter of fact :) Now I just have to figure out if I want the beef stir-fry or the Salmon with Pesto....... Tough Choice!

I don't think it is extreme either, but it is pretty darn exotic. Rotisserie chicken flatbreads would be fine, but the sides are Wild Greens and Tabbouleh. I don't even know what the heck Tabbouleh is :lol:. My point is, it is fantastic to have these things for adventurous eaters, but you are limiting the number of guests who want to eat there when you do not have one line for more simple foods. You know if they had roasted chicken, roast beef, BBQ pork, and green beans, mashed potatoes, and corn in one line. That is my argument.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom