The Land: Handwich

typhoonguy

dxwwf3 said:
I don't think it is extreme either, but it is pretty darn exotic. Rotisserie chicken flatbreads would be fine, but the sides are Wild Greens and Tabbouleh. I don't even know what the heck Tabbouleh is :lol:. My point is, it is fantastic to have these things for adventurous eaters, but you are limiting the number of guests who want to eat there when you do not have one line for more simple foods. You know if they had roasted chicken, roast beef, BBQ pork, and green beans, mashed potatoes, and corn in one line. That is my argument.
But they do have rotisserie chicken, roast beef sandwiches, green beans, mashed potatoes, ect. The sunshine seasons is great because it has those 'home food' meals too! A chicken leg with mashed potatoes and green beans... A Cesar salad with blackened chicken... Am I crazy? aren't those pretty basic/simple? Next time you are at EPCOT, I encourage you to take a good look at the menu at the stations. They all tend to have some fancier flare-foods as well as some good home-cooking!

cloudboy

What do you have for fast food around where you live? That sounds pretty much like any non-Mc'D's menu. I thought it was about time they caught up with the rest of the world in food offerings, no?

dxwwf3

typhoonguy said:
But they do have rotisserie chicken, roast beef sandwiches, green beans, mashed potatoes, ect. The sunshine seasons is great because it has those 'home food' meals too! A chicken leg with mashed potatoes and green beans..

That's a kid's menu item. Maybe you could get that with an adult portion, but who knows. And it doesn't appear that they have green beans on their menu anywhere.

http://allearsnet.com/menu/men_ssff.htm

typhoonguy

cloudboy said:
What do you have for fast food around where you live? That sounds pretty much like any non-Mc'D's menu. I thought it was about time they caught up with the rest of the world in food offerings, no?
I agree. They've added a lot of things you would see at places like Bear Rock Cafe, Panera, Moes/Chipotle, Panda Express, ect ect. Though at a Disney Quality. I think it may be a regional thing? Maybe some areas just have different quick-casual experiences than others. Me living in Florida, I have different options than say someone living in North Carolina or Tennessee.

dxwwf3

typhoonguy said:
That menu isn't quite a full menu. I'll see if I can write down all the updated offerings tomorrow.

I would appreciate that. All Ears Net has a reputation for having fantastic and up to date menus so that is why I took it to be complete. After looking at that menu and just glancing around the area, it certainly seemed like a big downgrade to me. But I will be interested to see what you can come up with.

dxwwf3

typhoonguy said:
I agree. They've added a lot of things you would see at places like Bear Rock Cafe, Panera, Moes/Chipotle, Panda Express, ect ect. Though at a Disney Quality. I think it may be a regional thing?

More of an area thing. I've heard of Panda Express and Panera Bread, but I haven't been to either.

I've never heard of Bear Rock Cafe, Moes or Chipotle.

typhoonguy said:
Me living in Florida, I have different options than say someone living in North Carolina or Tennessee.

It's not the state as much as it is the city or area. I'm sure in Charlotte or Nashville they have all of these places. And I would bet there are plenty of people in Florida that do not have these fast food offerings.

Slowjack

jgrnat4610 said:
Hey does anyone remember the meat and cheese Handwich? It was the best value in Epcot. Why did they take it away??:mad:

Man, I loved the Handwich. I drive my wife crazy because she never tried one, and every time we're at WDW, at some point during the trip I'll say I wished I had one, and she'll just roll her eyes...

Anyway, no one seems to have answered your question...does anyone know? I mean, I assume the Handwich just wasn't popular enough to keep around...or is there something more sinister at work?:lookaroun

wannab@dis

dxwwf3 said:
I don't think it is extreme either, but it is pretty darn exotic. Rotisserie chicken flatbreads would be fine, but the sides are Wild Greens and Tabbouleh. I don't even know what the heck Tabbouleh is :lol:. My point is, it is fantastic to have these things for adventurous eaters, but you are limiting the number of guests who want to eat there when you do not have one line for more simple foods. You know if they had roasted chicken, roast beef, BBQ pork, and green beans, mashed potatoes, and corn in one line. That is my argument.
You need to get out of Erwin more. :wave: (you know I'm being nice) :lol:

I don't live very far from you and I've heard of and enjoy everything on the new menu. It's a breath of fresh air to see their counter service menu (along with Tusker House) that is not so McD's. The menu is not "exotic" but it's not the normal fare from McD's, Burger King or Hardees. I think that's what some just don't understand. They equate burgers and chicken sandwiches to fast food and it doesn't have to be that way.

By the way, you really need to try tabbouleh. :slurp:

dxwwf3

wannab@dis said:
You need to get out of Erwin more. :wave: (you know I'm being nice) :lol:

:lol:

I'm out of Erwin plenty. I go to ball games in Knoxville (especially), Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville, Gainesville, Athens GA, all the time and I've been to DC before as well.

wannab@dis said:
It's a breath of fresh air to see their counter service menu (along with Tusker House) that is not so McD's.

I'm glad you mentioned the Tusker House. THAT is the kind of place I wish Sunshine Seasons was like. That menu is very common compared to SS. You can have some off kilter dishes that feature something different, but still have a fried chicken sandwich with steak fries offered. See what I'm saying.

Maybe things will be different when I can see a more complete menu, but to me, it doesn't look like Tusker House and Sunshine Seasons are really that similar when it comes to menus.

wannab@dis said:
They equate burgers and chicken sandwiches to fast food and it doesn't have to be that way.

That's exactly right. And nobody does that better than the Animal Kingdom.

jonesenon4

just me or anyone else dl/wdw

i was just wondering if anyone else felt the same as me about dl,but i have no desire to visit it. on the other hand i have visited wdw almost every year since 85 my first visit was in 75. i can't explain it myself why i love wdw so much but could care less about dl.next trip to wdw sept 24 06:sohappy:sorry about the location here was trying to start new thread will try to correct.

kal1484

I would MUCH rather have the other food back at The Land. The new selections are more upscale, and there isn't really anything I like. Once in a while they have a soup that I'll try, but other than that there isn't anything I'd try. The one time I ended up just eating plain rice. Now the desserts are awesome however, I love the fruit tulip.

My mom used to get the handwich when we went, The Land was the FIRST place we ate, no matter what becuase we loved it so much. The breadsticks with sauce was my fav.

hiddenmickey75

I'm assuming that the handwich is before my time or don't remember it so could someone please tell me what it is and what it's made out of? Also when did they stop selling it?

Thurp

I think that this restaurant is by far the best CS restaurant at WDW. When trying to choose a park to spend a few hours at, I often choose Epcot just so that I can eat there. In fact, if we're at the MK, we sometimes ride the monorail just to eat at The Land.

It's a nice change of pace from the usual food choices. Every park should have at least one "semi-gourmet" CS restaurant.

wannab@dis

dxwwf3 said:
:lol:

I'm out of Erwin plenty.
Well, apparently not enough. :p

dxwwf3 said:
I'm glad you mentioned the Tusker House. THAT is the kind of place I wish Sunshine Seasons was like. That menu is very common compared to SS. You can have some off kilter dishes that feature something different, but still have a fried chicken sandwich with steak fries offered. See what I'm saying.

They do. There are plenty of "normal" items to choose from.

dxwwf3 said:
Maybe things will be different when I can see a more complete menu, but to me, it doesn't look like Tusker House and Sunshine Seasons are really that similar when it comes to menus.

Wait a second... you haven't even been to Sunshine Seasons? :veryconfu

Sunshine Seasons and Tusker House are very similar with their menu styles. Maybe you just need to try Sunshine Seasons. If you have, then maybe it's just an issue of you not liking their food (which I find hard to believe) and so you would rather have the old menu back. That doesn't seem like a very legimate issue since MANY love the food now.

DigitalDisney

Sunshine Seasons is *nothing* like Tusker House. It's nothing like any other counter service food at WDW, which is good for some, but bad for more.

Tusker House still has "normal" food, but tastefully prepared. Their chicken sandwich and steak fries platter is delicious, and their 1/2 chicken always looks and smells tempting.

Sunshine Season, on the other hand, is just wacky. One salad is a "Roasted Beets and Goat Cheese Salad with Cilantro and Lime dressing". Where do I sign up for that? /sarcasm. Their chicken caesar salad costs mroe than the other ones in WDW, and it's smaller as well (I assume the chicken is different). Also, 2/4 entrees come with "Wild Greens and Tabbouleh" instead of normal sides like a salad and/or veggies.

What they ultimately need to do is go back and redo all counter-service restaurants AK-style. AK is easily the best park to eat in because the restaurants serve up great food that's different (but not wacky), in places that are well-themed. In fact, Pizzafari is probably my favorite place to eat in all of WDW. Their hot italian deli sandwich is outstanding, without being gourmet/fancy/wacky. On top of that, everything on the menu is edible and there's no mention of burgers/chicken fingers/fries anywhere.

Back to the original topic:
My jaw dropped when I read the topic. Handwiches (and the Farmers Market in general) were one of my favorite parts of the old Epcot. It's easy to make handwiches now. Just take a bunch of lunchmeats, cheese, and dressing, and mix em all together. Then put it on bread, or hollow out a roll like they used to do in the park. I have homemade handwiches on a regular basis to this day.

dxwwf3

wannab@dis said:
Wait a second... you haven't even been to Sunshine Seasons? :veryconfu

Sunshine Seasons and Tusker House are very similar with their menu styles. Maybe you just need to try Sunshine Seasons. If you have, then maybe it's just an issue of you not liking their food (which I find hard to believe) and so you would rather have the old menu back. That doesn't seem like a very legimate issue since MANY love the food now.

Of course, I've been there, but because there is nothing on the menu I want to eat, I haven't eaten there. There are just too many good places to eat at Epcot to settle for something you don't want.

Digital Disney's post hit the nail on the head completely. I have never complained about Sunshine Seasons because I am glad for people wanting something completely different, but until they change their menu, I have no desire to eat there.

wannab@dis

dxwwf3 said:
Digital Disney's post hit the nail on the head completely. I have never complained about Sunshine Seasons because I am glad for people wanting something completely different, but until they change their menu, I have no desire to eat there.

Oh well... I have to disagree. I love it that there's a couple of CS locations that don't feel the need to only serve 'kiddie' food. As much as you complain about some of the parks serving the kids too much with attractions and not looking out for the adults, you now complain about an adult eatery. :zipit:

You're in Disney... you don't HAVE to eat "normal" food. Be adventuresome and try that tabbouleh. You may be surprised how good it really is. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom