The Land: Handwich

dxwwf3

wannab@dis said:
As much as you complain about some of the parks serving the kids too much with attractions and not looking out for the adults, you now complain about an adult eatery. :zipit:

:brick:

Did you not read what I said?

I don't complain about SS, but if someone asks for opinions about it, I will give them. If you read my posts AT ALL, you would have seen that I said REPEATEDLY that I am glad there is something different in terms of counter service for other people. I personally wish they would offer one section of less adventurous foods, but I'm not lining up at Guest Relations demanding something to be changed.

Don't get so giddy when you think you see someone complaining that you don't actually see what they are saying :wave:

wannab@dis said:
You're in Disney... you don't HAVE to eat "normal" food. Be adventuresome and try that tabbouleh. You may be surprised how good it really is. :D

That's not how I see it. You're in Disney.....some of the best restaurants in the world are there. Don't settle for something you aren't wild about. When you have to pay Disney prices for food, it's not too easy to be wild and take chances. More than likely, you are going to be hungry and tired and you want something you think you'll like more than anything.

wannab@dis said:
I love it that there's a couple of CS locations that don't feel the need to only serve 'kiddie' food.

I do too. That is one of the reasons that the Animal Kingdom has the best counter service spots at WDW.

wannab@dis

dxwwf3 said:
:brick:

Did you not read what I said?

I have read what you have said. As has been pointed out, there are several items that are "normal" at Seasons... but it appears that you just keep making it out as a horrible place because they don't have something that YOU like. Sorry... but that's the way it appears.

There is nothing I saw on the menu that interested me. I'm all for having different items in a counter service setting for others, but it wouldn't hurt to have some less exotic stuff as well. How about something as simple as a grilled chicken breast with baked potato or rice pilaf? You can be creative without going to the extreme.
I think this is the only downgrade from the Land refurbishment.
I don't think it is extreme either, but it is pretty darn exotic. Rotisserie chicken flatbreads would be fine, but the sides are Wild Greens and Tabbouleh. I don't even know what the heck Tabbouleh is :lol:. My point is, it is fantastic to have these things for adventurous eaters, but you are limiting the number of guests who want to eat there when you do not have one line for more simple foods. You know if they had roasted chicken, roast beef, BBQ pork, and green beans, mashed potatoes, and corn in one line. That is my argument.

Nemo14

wannab@dis said:
You're in Disney... you don't HAVE to eat "normal" food. Be adventuresome and try that tabbouleh. You may be surprised how good it really is. :D
One other consideration here is that it some of the more "adventuresome" foods might not agree with a delicate system, so who wants to chance being sick at WDW?

dxwwf3

It sounds like you are being selective to me. Here's my first post. I said I was picky and I've never said the place was terrible. You're puting words in my mouth to try and prove your point. Of course, I think this is a downgrade because it looks like an All Star Resort food court and has nothing that interests me to eat. If it's an upgrade to you, that's great. But don't assume that everyone shares your opinion.

dxwwf3 said:
I'm glad Disney is offering more variety in the counter service realm, but I can't say there is anything at Sunshine Seasons that I care anything about. I'm a picky eater, so I guess that's natural. But I'm not going to complain about it because it is good to have something different for other guests.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

dxwwf3 said:
My point is, it is fantastic to have these things for adventurous eaters, but you are limiting the number of guests who want to eat there when you do not have one line for more simple foods.

That is purely talking about business. I've never seen the place full and I think if they had some other options, they could pull in more guests. It sounds to me that because YOU like it, that everyone else must like it as well.

wannab@dis

dxwwf3 said:
It sounds like you are being selective to me. Here's my first post. I said I was picky and I've never said the place was terrible. You're puting words in my mouth to try and prove your point. Of course, I think this is a downgrade because it looks like an All Star Resort food court and has nothing that interests me to eat. If it's an upgrade to you, that's great. But don't assume that everyone shares your opinion.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is purely talking about business. I've never seen the place full and I think if they had some other options, they could pull in more guests. It sounds to me that because YOU like it, that everyone else must like it as well.
Not at all... It just seems that when they try to do something for the kids, people complain, when they try to do something for adults, people complain. It's a shame, really. I responding to your posts because you've been vocal about how you don't like it, but yet you've been vocal about wanting more "adult" things in other threads. I was really surprised by you not liking it. Comparing it to an All Stars seems far-fetched.

It's been very busy each of the times I've been there so I assumed it was quite popular.

dxwwf3

wannab@dis said:
Not at all... It just seems that when they try to do something for the kids, people complain, when they try to do something for adults, people complain. It's a shame, really. I responding to your posts because you've been vocal about how you don't like it, but yet you've been vocal about wanting more "adult" things in other threads. I was really surprised by you not liking it. Comparing it to an All Stars seems far-fetched.

I fell like a used car salesman "What can I do today to make you see my point?". I am thrilled that they have a place like this for adults. I don't have to like something personally to be glad it is there. If kids want playgrounds in the parks, then I hope they enjoy the heck out of Pooh's Playful Spot. That doesn't mean I'm going to hop over there and try to get my 6'3" frame down a slide.

It LOOKS like an All Stars food court to me. By saying that I am meaning, it doesn't look very original. It looks clean and nice, but looks like the same old-same old to me. If I can continue in my broken record rampage, I am a very picky eater. I said it would be nice if they had more basic menu items in one line of the spot. You can still be adult and be basic (Look at Tusker House).

If it comes down to it, I would MUCH rather them not change a thing at Sunshine Seasons than make it extremely kid friendly.

Am I getting through at all?

wannab@dis said:
It's been very busy each of the times I've been there so I assumed it was quite popular.

It could be. The last two trips I've been on, it has been about half full whenever I've been there, but I might not have been there during the lunch rush. I think I was in December at one point, but I know I wasn't during this summer.

Slowjack

hiddenmickey75 said:
I'm assuming that the handwich is before my time or don't remember it so could someone please tell me what it is and what it's made out of? Also when did they stop selling it?

Disney's Handwich(tm) was a hollow cone of bread filled with some mixture of ingredients. There were several varieties...I don't remember them all but in my mind they had the same kinds of combos you'd find in Hot Pockets, like Ham and Cheese (much better tasting than Hot Pockets, mind you). They were quite tasty and because of the design you could hold it in one hand without fear that it would fall apart on you. They were served from the Lunching Pad in Tomorrowland at MK and at a Land food station.

I don't know when they stopped selling it, but it was a while ago. Probably at this point it has been lamented many more times than it was even eaten.

MissM

DigitalDisney said:
Sunshine Season, on the other hand, is just wacky. One salad is a "Roasted Beets and Goat Cheese Salad with Cilantro and Lime dressing". Where do I sign up for that? /sarcasm.
Yup. That's how I feel about it too. Just...weird. Nothing appeals to me. It's the whole "not every dish in the world needs sundried tomatoes" problem. Ever notice how overused "trendy" food items get in wannabe/quasi 'upscale' eateries? There's nothing wrong with selection and if there's enough demand to keep it going, more power to them. But for me, it's just a miss. You can have a variety of foods without them being foo-foo or needlessly weird.
-m

diddy_mouse

I remember seeing the "Handwich" as a big deal on an episode of WDW Inside Out.

As for the food in The Land, to me it seems that they are trying to make that one of the healthier spots in Epcot. Seeing how the pavillion is all about the bounty of the Earth, to me it seems fitting to have "healthy" food selections in a pavillion that deals with plants and the like.

Granted it does cater to a select crowd, but those individuals know that if they are looking for a Tabbuleah wrap or something veggie they can find it at The Land.

typhoonguy

diddy_mouse said:
I remember seeing the "Handwich" as a big deal on an episode of WDW Inside Out.

As for the food in The Land, to me it seems that they are trying to make that one of the healthier spots in Epcot. Seeing how the pavillion is all about the bounty of the Earth, to me it seems fitting to have "healthy" food selections in a pavillion that deals with plants and the like.

Granted it does cater to a select crowd, but those individuals know that if they are looking for a Tabbuleah wrap or something veggie they can find it at The Land.

I've stepped out of this thread because it's getting a bit too fussy for my likings. But I would just like to point out that many of the dishes pointed out in here, (beet salad, tabouleh) are the MOST exotic ones they have. Just a suggestion, if you're going to put up a valid argument, find the median or average, not the extreme. Though beet salad or tabouleh may be exotic or 'extreme', there's nothing extreme about salmon with pesto, stir fry or cuban sub sandwiches. To each his own, I just hope that people would take a moment to look at the menu and not just be turned off by the first item or two they see. That's how you miss out on some real gems.

scottnj1966

wannab@dis said:
Oh well... I have to disagree. I love it that there's a couple of CS locations that don't feel the need to only serve 'kiddie' food. As much as you complain about some of the parks serving the kids too much with attractions and not looking out for the adults, you now complain about an adult eatery. :zipit:

Everyone has there own taste's. You canr please everyone in one place, so disney has so many restaurants you will always find something you like.

I myself hate what kinda foods are on top of the Contemporary. I want it to be a steakhouse again but I imagine alot of people like the goatcheese kinda menu they have. I miss eating top of the world, and what happened to the menu at the castle. Miss going there too....so I just chose to go other places.

typhoonguy

scottnj1966 said:
Everyone has there own taste's. You canr please everyone in one place, so disney has so many restaurants you will always find something you like.

I myself hate what kinda foods are on top of the Contemporary. I want it to be a steakhouse again but I imagine alot of people like the goatcheese kinda menu they have. I miss eating top of the world, and what happened to the menu at the castle. Miss going there too....so I just chose to go other places.
Cali Grill has a GREAT cesar salad and filet. That's what I get:) See, they added the goat cheese stuff to satisfy the hippies, but kept filet for you and me. You can still go and get some good food!

DigitalDisney

wannab@dis said:
You're in Disney... you don't HAVE to eat "normal" food. Be adventuresome and try that tabbouleh. You may be surprised how good it really is.

Nemo14 said:
One other consideration here is that it some of the more "adventuresome" foods might not agree with a delicate system, so who wants to chance being sick at WDW?

Bingo.

On vacation, I want to have fun. This does not include paying $10 per meal to eat things that I may not like or may have a negative effect my digestive system. For meals, I like to eat things that I know or am pretty sure I will enjoy.

Another important note...as far as I know, you can't just replace Tabbouleh or wild greens with normal sides like veggies and a salad. Similarly, you can't ask to get a sandwich without a weird sauce either. In a similar full-service restaurant, both of these wouldn't be issues. Since Sunshine Seasons is fast food, it's basically all or nothing, leaving the customer with no choice at all.

wannab@dis said:
Being right next to one of the most popular attractions at WDW will do that. No doubt every attraction in The Land has seen record numbers since Soarin' opened. If the current incarnation of Sunshine Seasons was anywhere else, do you think it would be anywhere near as popular? Of course not.

cloudboy

DigitalDisney said:
Another important note...as far as I know, you can't just replace Tabbouleh or wild greens with normal sides like veggies and a salad. Similarly, you can't ask to get a sandwich without a weird sauce either. In a similar full-service restaurant, both of these wouldn't be issues. Since Sunshine Seasons is fast food, it's basically all or nothing, leaving the customer with no choice at all.

That's unfortunately a problem with Disney, not the type of food. Something that has always bothered me, too. I know they have lots of people to feed, but they also have lots of places to feed them and lots of people doing the cooking and serving. Really it's nothing different than a big city at lunch time with many different restaurants.

P.S. Since when has Tabbouleh become a wildly exotic food item? While burgers and fries and frozen pizza may be familliar to many people, there are also a lot of places even in this country where we tend to eat different things. I find Sunshine Terrace more akin to what I grab when I go out for lunch - the fast food Disney serves went out with the beach snack bar years ago.

wannab@dis

DigitalDisney said:
Bingo.

On vacation, I want to have fun. This does not include paying $10 per meal to eat things that I may not like or may have a negative effect my digestive system. For meals, I like to eat things that I know or am pretty sure I will enjoy.

I'm having a hard time figuring out why everyone thinks it's weird or not 'normal'. They have ceaser salads, rotisserie chicken, veggie cuban sandwiches, ham and salami sandwiches, etc. I just don't see this "exotic" deal. Heaven forbid they serve something other than chicken fingers and burgers. :rolleyes:

DigitalDisney said:
Being right next to one of the most popular attractions at WDW will do that. No doubt every attraction in The Land has seen record numbers since Soarin' opened. If the current incarnation of Sunshine Seasons was anywhere else, do you think it would be anywhere near as popular? Of course not.
And you know this how? I have a feeling that it would be popular most any place. It has a great selection of something other than than burgers which a LOT of people look for and welcome.

mayrag

Handwiches...mmm!
I just loved them. We used to make our parentseat there just to eat the handwiches.
Now, married with children, I make them at home. I've introduced my husband and daughter to them and they love them. I just cut the half end of a loaf of bread, take out the inside, and fille it out with anything.

Those were good times at EPCOT

dxwwf3

dxwwf3 said:
Am I getting through at all?
wannab@dis said:
I'm having a hard time figuring out why everyone thinks it's weird or not 'normal'. They have ceaser salads, rotisserie chicken, veggie cuban sandwiches, ham and salami sandwiches, etc. I just don't see this "exotic" deal. Heaven forbid they serve something other than chicken fingers and burgers. :rolleyes:

I'll take that as a no :lol:

dxwwf3

wannab@dis said:
Well, I guess you could look at it from the other direction... I'm not getting through either. :wave:

No, you are. I am glad that there is something different in the counter service department and it doesn't have to be something that appeals to the masses or myself. But I think you are failing to see that it isn't everyone's cup of tea and the restaurant could probably improve by having ONE line that features some simpler items for other people. In no way does it have to be burgers or pizza or does it have to cut back on the quality. But if the current setup is working fine money wise, then don't mess with it.

wannab@dis

dxwwf3 said:
No, you are. I am glad that there is something different in the counter service department and it doesn't have to be something that appeals to the masses or myself. But I think you are failing to see that it isn't everyone's cup of tea and the restaurant could probably improve by having ONE line that features some simpler items for other people. In no way does it have to be burgers or pizza or does it have to cut back on the quality. But if the current setup is working fine money wise, then don't mess with it.
Ok... so let's continue that line of thinking.

They need to add a line to all the other CS locations that serve the typical hot dog, burger or pizza and include some much better, or exotic as some say, food. That way I can get some Tabbouleh at Caseys.

I've not seen anyone make that request so, to me, it just doesn't make sense for SS to need a line for the 'simpler' palletes. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom