The invasion begins...a heads-up for visitors next week

Phonedave

Can someone direct me to where I can find the rules and invite to this super bowl of pop Warner ? How many teams is invited to orlando ? Why is the semi final and final are not done at the local level, state levels, regional levels, before the two best teams meets in orlando ? Pop Warner seem to be dis organized and caused unnecessary expense to parents to send these teams to Disney each years.

Just like high school and college sports, there are different divisions within Pop Warner.

Small towns or programs do not compete against larger programs with better funding or larger rosters. Can you picture a team where the kids play on both sides of the ball playing against a team with a full roster.

There are also age brackets as well. You don't want grade schoolers playing against older kids.

It is not just the "top two teams" - there are playoffs in a number of divisions going on.

There are 8 "regions" in Pop Warner (southwest, northeast, etc) There is a winner from each region in each of the divisions (for example, a Southwest Division I Jr. Midget Champion team, a Southwest Division I Midget Champion Team, etc)

So now you have 8 teams in each division that travels to WDW. They play a three round tournment 8 -> 4 -> 2 - Winner. The do that all in one place, as opposed to having to travel all around the country - much cheaper, and much more efficent

Also, if parents have two kids playing in two different divisons (because the are different ages) it is possible they could have multiple games. So instead of having to travel to 6 locations across the US, they go to one location - WDW, which in the grand scheme of things is pretty cheap to fly into, close to the airport, and has a faciclity (ESPN WWoS) that can handle the volume.

-dave

scottnj1966

We stayed in the all star resort one year when all the tennagers were there.
It was a total mess. One security gaurd that we saw in all three of those resorts, not one chaperone to be seen. Constant door slamming and lots of inapporiate behavior.
I bet the parent sof these kids think the kids are safe and being watched.
If they only knew the truth.

We never stay at the value resorts anymore.

Phonedave

Does anyone know if PW is staying at Coronado Springs.

Offical host resorts for the 2010 Pop Warner superbowl are

All Star Resorts

and

Port Orleans - Riverside

That is not to say they cannot be staying elsewhere, but these resorts have special pricing packages available, and offer regular (every 30 minute) bus service to the WWoS complex.

-dave

cinderellafan6

I will be there this weekend but Thank GOD I will be stayin at Boardwalk. I have seen them previous years walking around the parks but at least they should be leaving on Sat.

gustaftp

Thanks for the heads up.

Every year in the begining to mid decemeber there is a large cheerleading competition (I believe its highschool to 5th grade range) at the ESPN WWoS, and that means hundreds of chearlaeders will be in the parks those days.

A month later is the college dance championships and cheerleading championships at WWoS. This is when and why I usually go to WDW. Lots of cute and athletic girls in the parks, discounted prices if you have a sister who is a dancer ;) , and lots of fun to be had! :D

We're heading down on the 11th. I originally planned for this week, but when I was having difficulty finding any rooms (mind you, I was looking for DVC rooms), I questioned what the heck was going on? Then I spoke to a fried who mentioned that it's Pop Warner week and to stay as far away from The World as possible! I switched to the week of the 11th and had no problems at all picking pretty much any resort.

We'll be in Kidani Villas... woo hoo!

This is good information, though, for anyone making plans for future years... run like the wind during Pop week!!

Walt 1901

We are heading down for this weekend, but staying at Coronado Springs for a chess tournament. So there will football players and chess geeks running around the parks.

Nemo14

Got back last night from a weekend at WDW. As I expected Pop Warner did not have a tremendous effect of the parks. I saw some obvious groups of cheerleaders and football players but did not run into any issues with them.
I saw some riff-raff in Epcot..... :D

and they were great fun! :sohappy:

sweetpee_1993

I despise those wild animals! I do have a plan, though, if I ever encounter them in the future.

I love that you left your plan to our imaginations. Lol! My first thought was negative reinforcement training in the form of squirt gun. Kids outta line? Give 'em a little squir to get their attention. Lol!

talfonso

It's not the organization that is the problem. It's the lack of supervision and decorum during this trip. I had the unfortunate experience to take a last minute trip during Pop Warner week one year, and stayed at a value. NEVER AGAIN. That said, it was our first and last stay at a value - wasn't for us, but Pop didn't help.

That said, I still would take that week over the Brazilian tour groups.

It's the opposite for me - I have built a natural immunity to their antics and chanting over time! :D

bugsbunny

My trip was basically ruined by the mongrels. I had a disastrous encounter with them in the wee hours at all star sports on the 12th. Started with all the out of control yelling, screaming, running up the halls, banging on windows, playing football in the hallways, throwing garbage on all the awnings overhanging the pool, and apparently urinated in the stairwells! It was 30 degrees out that day and it still reeked!

At 1230am, I was out in the hallway yelling at Disney Security who took TWO HOURS to show up. They apologized that I had to make multiple calls and they were quite aware that I was the one that was complaining multiple times. Once they did show up, they were obviously ed off that they couldn't catch...or better yet...FIND any of them for they all ran and hid. The coaches were ALL SLEEPING and there was NO supervision for about 30 kids! The coaches started banging on the doors where the kids were suppose to be and nobody answered. I fell asleep about 1am and they still had not found them all. Ain't that great?!!? 10 and 11 year olds on their own and nobody knows where they are at?

I complained to the manager the next morning and he was all about making me happy THEN. I didnt go down there to ask for something for free! I was more about "What about the 2 hours last night when NOTHING was getting done about it?" Don't treat the symptoms afterward, go for a cure beforehand! That's why we want vaccines!

But quite honestly, Disney is more about just quieting and soothing the complainers than they are really about stopping it all from happening in the first place. People on these boards were saying that WDW should move me to another hotel. WHY do I have to move? And since people were speaking from past experience that it had happened to them, how can Disney not have a better plan for this insanity every year? How hard is it to have a Disney Security guy just walking the beat at a hotel when Pop Warner is staying there? Its going to cost a whole lot less for that then what Disney is going to eventually give me in free passes and refunds for my trip because that's what they would normally do.

And a squirt gun or water gun? Good luck with that! The problem children are definitely from the inner city and depressed neighborhoods. It is what it is. I'm not trying to cast judgment or be stereotypical. A water gun is NOT going to scare them and in fact, probably lead to bigger problems for you. Its also the same reason that yelling at these kids to quiet down or go back to their rooms is irrelevant.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom