The invasion begins...a heads-up for visitors next week

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I have been going during Pop Warner week for quite a few years now (I'll be there this weekend) and while they can wreak havoc at the value resorts their effects on the parks is typically pretty minimal. Of course it only takes one group of obnoxious cheerleaders with an oblivious chaperone to make the RnRC queue a living nightmare. As a rule cheerleaders travel in packs and we just do our best to avoid them.

DisneyJoe

I have been going during Pop Warner week for quite a few years now (I'll be there this weekend) and while they can wreak havoc at the value resorts their effects on the parks is typically pretty minimal.

I've had similar experiences, I've seen very little impact in the parks from that group.

DTM93

On the information link on the website it also mentions that they may be in the Port Orleans so I don't think I'll be staying there as I was planning to go in early December next year. :lol:

JimboJones123

The cheerleaders can tend to be kind of annoying while throwing eachother around int the air and "practicing" very loudly at any given hour throughout the resorts, parks, and transportation. The real problem is THE PARENTS!

Drunk as drunk can be! Kicked off the pool decks every few minutes for smoking. Rude to other guests. Making fun of other kids, parents, those with disabilities, all with a bully pack-like mentality. It is a pretty much overall disgusting situation of "how dare you enfringe on my right ti be an ahole!"

The worst thing the kids do is remind you that they are the next generation of Pop Warner parents in training. Pre-teen ladies of the night (yes, I'm talking turboslutlooking) skankdogs look to be selling themselves to the highest bidder and talk like it as well.

Kamikaze

@BuzzGoofy, I believe most of the cheerleaders and youth football players stay at the value resorts like Pop! (hence the name Pop Warner).

Please know what you're talking about before you post about it. There is this wonderful tool, called google, that is the hive mind of intelligence for all mankind. If you don't know something, google it. Stop posting complete misinformation without a clue.

http://www.google.com/search?q=pop+warner

Pop Warner was a coach. The organization is named after him. Basically, all youth football falls under Pop Warner. Kind of like the Babe Ruth division in youth baseball. You think they stay at a hotel called 'Babe Ruth'?

WDWFigment

Please know what you're talking about before you post about it. There is this wonderful tool, called google, that is the hive mind of intelligence for all mankind. If you don't know something, google it. Stop posting complete misinformation without a clue.

http://www.google.com/search?q=pop+warner

Pop Warner was a coach. The organization is named after him. Basically, all youth football falls under Pop Warner. Kind of like the Babe Ruth division in youth baseball. You think they stay at a hotel called 'Babe Ruth'?

Okay, so he was incorrect about the origin of the name, but I don't think it required that type of jackass response. It's not like he gave some sort of world-ending, life-changing misinformation. Was it really that big of a deal?

It's not the organization that is the problem. It's the lack of supervision and decorum during this trip. I had the unfortunate experience to take a last minute trip during Pop Warner week one year, and stayed at a value. NEVER AGAIN. That said, it was our first and last stay at a value - wasn't for us, but Pop didn't help.

That said, I still would take that week over the Brazilian tour groups.

cdunbar

Off Topic, the Pop Warner organization is actually pretty cool. It's one of the few youth sports organization to have academic requirements. It's a cool way to get kids involved in footbal or cheerleading, but not in an insane stage-mother type way.
While that is true, the problem with this is that their chaperons get tired and perhaps lazy in their duties and the kids run around and get a little crazy. So while it is true that it is a great organization when they go to WDW things don't go well. :shrug:

I have been going during Pop Warner week for quite a few years now (I'll be there this weekend) and while they can wreak havoc at the value resorts their effects on the parks is typically pretty minimal. Of course it only takes one group of obnoxious cheerleaders with an oblivious chaperone to make the RnRC queue a living nightmare. As a rule cheerleaders travel in packs and we just do our best to avoid them.
Yes they do...:lol:

Okay, so he was incorrect about the origin of the name, but I don't think it required that type of jackass response. It's not like he gave some sort of world-ending, life-changing misinformation. Was it really that big of a deal?
I agree with you. So the poster was wrong about the origin of the name. Have you never been wrong? Lord knows I have. You should as a rule of social graces just PM him and tell him, NOT portray the poster as a complete idiot!

devoy1701

Is it a rule that cheerleaders must cheer while waiting in line for RnR??? I think it must be written down somewhere in their rule book!

Thurp

Is it a rule that cheerleaders must cheer while waiting in line for RnR??? I think it must be written down somewhere in their rule book!

I worked at a University that hosted a cheerleading camp every summer. These girls stayed in one of the dorms. Every morning, around 7 am, they would all go to breakfast together (remember, they travel in packs - a gaggle of cheerleaders) and they would be cheering as loud as they could while walking through the campus streets.

They would wake up our students up, many of them who had late night jobs to put themselves through school.

There were so many complaints about them that the school had to ask them to refrain from cheering while walking through campus.

It turns out that the organization had some kind of "spirit award" that was given at the end of the camp to the group who showed the most "spirit" throughout the summer.

So I wonder if they do something similar during Pop Warner.

Like others have said, the parks are not affected too negatively. If you see a gaggle of cheerleaders approaching your attraction, I recommend moving on to a different one and returning later. If you are staying in one of their resorts of choice at the same time, I strongly encourage you to change your reservation.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It is located in section 4 line 20 in the Cheerleading codex set down long ago by Bambi and Buffy.
IV. Cheer Bowl Rules
1) Maximum number of cheerleaders on one squad is 25 girls (rec squads may combine).
2) Each cheerleader must wear the shell and skirt provided by the park (the park uniform) they can
embellish if they wish but it has to be the park uniform from park they are representing.
3) Cheering down is not permitted. Cheering up one age group up is allowed.
4) Cheer Bowl competition teams cannot have a roster with more than 50% of cheerleaders who are on
an All-Star or Park and Rec Competition Team.
5) Cheer squads may NOT hire or participate in any professional instruction (i.e. choreography,
tumbling) for which a fee has been paid. However, squads may pay for professional music mixes.
6) Floor size is - 40 yard line to 40 yard line and 50 feet deep
7) Routine can be no more than 3 minutes in length. A designated adult per squad will assist sound
technician in starting the music. Coach will raise flag to signal routine is ready to begin. Clock will
start on the first team motion or beat of music.
8) Prior to competing, squads will wait on the track at the opposite side of field. Four coaches will be
permitted to be with the squads. All other parents will not be allowed on the track area.
9) Squad may enter from desired side (left, right, or center of performance area)
10) Coaches may stand behind the judges (coaches must not be seen by the judges) in order to help thecheerleaders (or mimic the routine).
11) Cheerleaders may use props (i.e. pom-poms, signs). Coaches may place the props on the floor prior
to the start of the routine. Time will not count against the squad for prop placement. Each Squad
will have a maximum of 3 minutes to place props.
12) Teams will be judged on Dance, Cheer Technique, Spirit, and Stunts. Safety (stunts and tumbling)
and time violations will apply. See stunt and tumbling rules per age category. In the event of a tie,
the cheer score, then the dance score will be used to break ties.
13) Any team not wanting to be judged or compete needs to let their Cheerleading Director know and
they will be considered an exhibition participant.
14) Judges and Professional spotters will be provided through the FCYFA.
15) Cheer Bowl entry fee: Adults $3.00 – Children $2.00 (Age 5 & under-FREE) - Competitors and
Coaches do not pay entry fees
16) All participants will receive an award. Placement awards will be issued to squad scoring the highest
(i.e. first, second, third) depending on how many teams compete.
17) Only current year board members are allowed inside the gated area
18) ***Please advise each squad that a 5-point penalty may be assessed to their total score for
unsportsmanlike conduct by other cheer bowl participants, coaches, or spectators. Unsportsmanlike
conduct may include, but is not limited to, comments directed toward participants, coaches, judges,
or scoring table.
19) Each cheerleading squad competing in the Cheer Bowl must cheer for the entire football game on
the Saturday just prior to the Cheer Bowl on Sunday.
20) When attending events it is your duty to expose non-cheeleaders to the wonders of cheerleading. The queues of amusement/theme park attractions are the ideal location for this but any semi-confined space where non-cheerleaders have little chance of escaping will suffice.

EpcotGrl

Blast and drat, I'm going next week for my birthday!

Oh well, hopefully I can avoid them as much as possible... and/or buy some ear plugs :lol:

ChrisM

Unless you're staying at one of their resorts (Value, and usually part of one Moderate), you largely won't even know they are there.

You may seem scattered groups of them in the parks in the evenings, with the exception that I believe they have the run of DHS one evening next week.

juan

Original Poster
Top reasons why I despise of the Pop Warner group:

1) Running through the parks without any care to anyone. They nearly knocked my mom out of her wheelchair.

2) Cheering/Screaming - not only in the queues, but in the hotels while people are sleeping. (They mostly stay at All-Stars, but also stay at moderates like Riverside and Caribbean Beach)

3) Suspected theft - When an entire group is huddled around a pin display blocking hands from view and the floor is littered with empty pin cards, I wonder where the pins went?

4) Line-cutting - 3 or so people hop in line, normal guests queue in behind. 10-20 mins later, a group of 20 join the 3 people already waiting.

5) Drunk, ignorant chaperons

Jtrent21

POP Warner

I have not been during POP, but will be there during it, but I hope I can deal with them over the Brazillian groups...

timon71

I agree in most with the Pop Warner issues. BUT....Disney needs to step up also with enforcing the rules on these groups. It's Disney's business that is hurt the most by these groups. It usually isn't the same teams, so I guess they(Pop Warner) people feel they deserve it be a..holes. WE ALL know this isn't true, but people are people and if management doesn't step up and unforce the rules this will keep happening. I am a TOTAL disney freak and have worked for disney. I just feel on this issue they(Disney Management) aren't stepping up and keeping the MAGIC going for all the park guest that WILL return more often then the Pop Warner teams.
I want to say....NOT ALL the Pop Warner groups/teams are bad, but it only takes one team/group for a Great organization to get a bad reputation. Sorry Pop Warner!

I don't normally post often but have to add to this thread. We were there last December during Pop Warner. We stayed at Port Orleans Riverside. There were a bunch of high school aged boys and girls there. They took over the food court, littered the beautiful grounds with plates, cups, etc and where quite loud till very late outside their rooms. One night they banged on our door in the middle of the night. I jumped out of bed and tripped over my sons trundle bed to see them run off. On the bus one morning 3 girls were throwing a bag of food around which then hit a 4 year old boy in the head. The girls just laughed it up as their moms watched. No apology and the moms said nothing! :mad: Another time on the bus we had to listen to cheers - very annoying. We were not bothered at all at the parks but then again we don't go on any of the thrill rides - maybe that helped. So we were fine at the parks but there was no magic at the resort - felt like I was at a really low end mall on a Saturday night!

Oh, and according to a CM who I spoke to before our trip who was very forthcoming with information - not the norm - she said that Pop Warner keeps getting bigger and that the kids were at all values and mods with some families paying extra for the deluxe resorts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom