The Integration of Fox into the Disney Corporate Family: Parks, Movies, IPs, Studios

brodie999

Makes lot of sense with Fox to have a few big tent pole franchises like Aliens, kingsman, planet of the apes but I wonder if it means rebooting or not.

I think this year will be a bit of Disney ‘taking out the trash’ in terms of films that Fox would have finished anyway before pushing it more in their way next year
Agreed. They mentioned Maze Runner is coming back too. It makes me wonder if they'll expand those franchises with spin-off films just like they did with Star Wars.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
The Planet of the Apes Franchise

The original pentology had a good start, but then went downhill with critics and audiences (with only #3 not being that bad). They all made a profit in the theatrical window, but not by much.

The 2001 reboot was a mess and the only movie in the franchise which definitely lost money.

The re-rebooted trilogy has had good reviews. The first of the three made money, the next two were close to breaking even because their budgets were so big. If Disney/Fox can reign in the budget, the continuation of the franchise would make sense.

Last edited:

Twilight_Roxas

I actually had a theory of the Planet of the Apes were the original film was created by two different timelines the reboot timeline leads to the original Planet of the Apes, and the events of Escape from the Planet of the Apes created a new timeline.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
Fox's Alien and Predator Franchises

So the first two Alien movies of the tetralogy were well received and were profitable. Not so the final two. The two prequels received fair reviews but didn't make money (big budgets being the issue).

The Predator tetralogy only had the first one getting fairly good reviews and made money. Not so the other three, racking up dismal reviews.

The Alien v. Predator dilogy bombed in so many ways. Don't know why the second one was even made.

After six movies featuring the Xenomorph saga that did poorly or bombed... is there an audience for a new movie such that it would be profitable? I doubt it.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
The Maze Runner and Kingsman Franchises

The first Maze Runner got mixed reviews and then went down from there. But, it made money thanks to low budgets. So, I can see why Disney wants to go back to this well. But, it won't make money if the budget balloons to usual Disney levels.

The first Kingsman was well received and made money. The second one... not as much. The reviews were mixed-to-bad and thanks to a bigger budget, made much less money. If the third one already on the way has a similar big budget, it will be lucky to break even.

And what's there to say about Avatar that's not already obvious?

And that concludes a look at the Fox franchises that Disney announced it was going to pursue at this past Cinemacon.

bartholomr4

The Maze Runner and Kingsman Franchises

The first Maze Runner got mixed reviews and then went down from there. But, it made money thanks to low budgets. So, I can see why Disney wants to go back to this well. But, it won't make money if the budget balloons to usual Disney levels.

The first Kingsman was well received and made money. The second one... not as much. The reviews were mixed-to-bad and thanks to a bigger budget, made much less money. If the third one already on the way has a similar big budget, it will be lucky to break even.

And what's there to say about Avatar that's not already obvious?

View attachment 362042

And that concludes a look at the Fox franchises that Disney announced it was going to pursue at this past Cinemacon.

Awesome summaries, thanks for doing this!

Slpy3270

Actually, 20th Century Fox distributed the third Exorcist film. But it was a one time thing. So they own the rights to the Exorcist III while Warner Bros. owns the rest of the franchise.

Key word being "distributed." Exorcist III was produced by Morgan Creek, whose successor Revolution Studios now owns full rights to the franchise and the third film. All Fox owns is the recent TV show, which was co-produced by them and Revolution, with Warner Bros. having no involvement.

I'm betting the lot will be renovated and renamed Disney Studios Australia since Disney will want to de-emphasize the connections to the Murdochs, who are notorious in Australia (that's where Rupert is from).

Twilight_Roxas

Key word being "distributed." Exorcist III was produced by Morgan Creek, whose successor Revolution Studios now owns full rights to the franchise and the third film. All Fox owns is the recent TV show, which was co-produced by them and Revolution, with Warner Bros. having no involvement.

I'm betting the lot will be renovated and renamed Disney Studios Australia since Disney will want to de-emphasize the connections to the Murdochs, who are notorious in Australia (that's where Rupert is from).
I thought Disney is keeping the Fox names?

brodie999

Well, nothing is official yet. And if they decide to rename the lot "Disney Studios Australia", I'm really happy for the brand going forward in the country and maybe even Canada too because Fox will still wanna shoot films there.

Slpy3270

I thought Disney is keeping the Fox names?

Only for the 20th Century Fox and Fox Searchlight film and TV studios. All other Fox-branded companies under Disney's watch are likely subject to a timed licensing agreement. The international channels, for instance, can still use the Fox brand until 2024, while the Fox Sports regional networks can only keep their names for about a year and a half post-merger (18 months, per the merger agreement). I don't know what the deal is with the Fox Studios Australia name, but even if it's under the same perpetual royalty-free agreement with the 20th Century Fox and Fox Searchlight names, I think Disney would want to make their presence known in the lot and decide to change the name anyway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom