The Integration of Fox into the Disney Corporate Family: Parks, Movies, IPs, Studios

Darkprime

Iger’s the one who sold them off to begin with so I doubt he’d want to repurchase them unless it was for a significantly lower amount then what they got when they sold them.

I doubt theyd be allowed to own them again after acquiring fox anyway. The next best option would be to acquire a majority stake if they they really wanted access to that library.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I doubt theyd be allowed to own them again after acquiring fox anyway. The next best option would be to acquire a majority stake if they they really wanted access to that library.
It depends on how regulators would look at it. Miramax isn’t a major producer of movies these days. Only putting out 3 films since 2016, one of which was to Netflix. So it wouldn’t be like taking out a major competitor which is what regulators often look at. But who knows.

Either way other than the catalog it’s not worth anything anyways to Disney. However I could see someone like Netflix or Apple being interested in order to bring more production capability in-house.

brodie999

Having not seen the actual contract, I thought that when it was originally talked about, it was said along the lines of "the character cannot be used on screen for two years following cancellation", not that they couldn't sign a contact before then.

If so, then, using last date of air rather than date of cancellation (I'm not sure which it would have been), then Hulu could air from the following...

Luke Cage S3 - 23/06/2020
Iron Fist S3/Heroes For Hire S1/Daughters of the Dragon S1 - 08/9/2020
Daredevil S4 - 20/10/2020
The Punisher S3 - 18/1/2021
Jessica Jones S4 - 2021

So, is it

...cannot appear on screen within two years of last air date
...cannot appear on screen within two years of cancellation date
...cannot sign a contract regarding a show for any character featured on the above shows for two years?

If it is either of the first two, then they could start filming them later this year to air next year.
Perfect timing!! Jessica Jones S3 just released yesterday. So we've got a whole year left before Marvel makes any announcement on reviving 3 of the Netflix shows(Daredevil, Iron Fist and Luke Cage) on either Hulu or FXX.

djlaosc

Perfect timing!! Jessica Jones S3 just released yesterday. So we've got a whole year left before Marvel makes any announcement on reviving 3 of the Netflix shows(Daredevil, Iron Fist and Luke Cage) on either Hulu or FXX.

You would think that Disney would be interested in buying the rights to show the Netflix shows on FX/FXX - especially if they make further seasons. Would give them 161 episodes, which is 3 years worth at one episode per week or 1.5 years as a double bill.

Would re-airing existing episodes go against the 2 year contract as it would not be new footage?

It is possible to gain the rights to Netflix Originals to show on TV Channels - Orange is the New Black is shown in the UK on actual TV as second-run (about 4 years behind Netflix).

brodie999

You would think that Disney would be interested in buying the rights to show the Netflix shows on FX/FXX - especially if they make further seasons. Would give them 161 episodes, which is 3 years worth at one episode per week or 1.5 years as a double bill.

Would re-airing existing episodes go against the 2 year contract as it would not be new footage?

It is possible to gain the rights to Netflix Originals to show on TV Channels - Orange is the New Black is shown in the UK on actual TV as second-run (about 4 years behind Netflix).
I'm not saying they should buy the rights. It's just the 2 year contract is up for Daredevil, Iron Fist and Luke Cage by next year. Which makes it clear the last time they made new seasons for these shows was last year.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
The 2016-2018 Disney movies will come back to Netflix once again 7 years after getting off the service. Unknown if they'll be back exclusively or non exclusively. I assume it'll be 18 months once again.

https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/news/disney-movies-will-still-come-to-netflix-after-disney-launch/

1. Poor, poor Disney. Being forced to accept licensing fees from Netflix for a while longer.

2. Greenfield is part of the Wall Street hysteria movement that was worried about Disney losing licensing fees from third party venues. So, why isn't he happy that Disney is still getting income from third party licensing venues?

3. Greenfield is a krutack to Millennials. What a flark.

SyntaxError98

Dumb movie and will actually hurt in the long run as more studios won't sell their top comedies/dramas/etc to Hulu but to other services that don't require a co-prod. Also it will effect Disney's ability to sell to others without them also making Disney let them be a co-producer which then makes the rights extremely complicated on future remakes etc.

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3473060-disney-pushing-stake-future-hulu-shows-report
Tbh, most big studios are already launching their own streaming service so this won’t hurt Hulu more than the nature of the future streaming space will regardless.

Slpy3270

Big Disney TV shakeup: President Patrick Moran is gone from ABC Studios and is being replaced by Jonnie Davis of 20th Century Fox TV.

It's hard not to read this as evidence ABC Studios and 20th Century Fox TV will combine at some point. Question is whether or not the ABC or 20th Century Fox name will be used.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Big Disney TV shakeup: President Patrick Moran is gone from ABC Studios and is being replaced by Jonnie Davis of 20th Century Fox TV.

It's hard not to read this as evidence ABC Studios and 20th Century Fox TV will combine at some point. Question is whether or not the ABC or 20th Century Fox name will be used.

Should be the ABC name staying but you know Disney will keep the Fox.
Don't count on that just yet. ABC has a longer history in Television than Fox, so the ABC name will likely stick around in some form. In fact ABC as a name has to stick around due to FCC licensing of the broadcast channels, they can't change those to Fox.

What will likely happen is ABC studios will continue to produce shows for the broadcast channels. And 20th Century Fox Television will focus on cable. With both contributing to streaming.

This makes the most sense since Fox TV channels (stayed with New Fox) will lose all its 20th Century Fox Television content in 2021 or 2022.

Cosmic Commando

seascape

Let’s see if Netflix is still around in 2025 first. :hilarious: They can’t keep borrowing forever.
Netflix will be around in 2025 and beyond. They may not be independent but too many Americans have no idea what they are charged on subscriptions. They may cut down watching but not all will drop Netflix. Some will, I am one, but they will continue with over 150 million monthly subscribers well into the future. Can someone pass them? Yes. Amazon Prime will be the largest but not the most watched. Comcast may get their free service on all Cable Systems but as with Amazon Prime, all that does is gain Subscribers who don't pay anything extra and the vast majority who don't watch.

So who wins the streaming battle? Disney will have two of the top services. Combined they will have more but individually they may not pass Netflix. Apple will be a large player with signed up paying customers but unless it can gain non I-phone users it will not be in the top 3. Therefore, I believe the winners are Netflix and Disney. Other winners are High Speed Internet Service Providers.

Losers are traditional cable television package subscriptions. The cable television companies will compete with 5G wireless providers and so they will survive well into the future but with lower profits. There are also many free over the internet free streaming options that will provide content for those unable or unwilling to pay. The future will continue to divide us. The day of the 3 networks is long gone. The day of 500 cable stations with nothing on is over. We now have control over what we watch and when. Individually we win but as a society and world, we lost. We will never have an event like the moon landing 40 years ago when the entire world watched the same thing at the same time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom