The Imagineering Movie Discussion Thread

PerGron

Original Poster
August was a better month of catching movies for me, though the quality of said movies wasn't nearly as strong as June and July were. Still, that's to be expected in August so for what we got I can't say it was completely terrible. I managed 19 films and while Thursday I'll be seeing what would be the 20th, it shouldn't count towards what I watched in August. So with that, let's break down the 19 movies I caught in August.

#19- Reagan
Reagan.jpg

[Watched in theaters]

Absolute trash in the highest degree. I genuinely didn't think anything could beat Borderlands for worst of August but then this piece of trash sneaks in last minute. This movie is pure and utter conservative propaganda and if that's your thing, eat up, but otherwise this is one of the worst, most inaccurate, most aggressively bad movies I've seen wide released in a long while.

Ronald Reagan has a pretty tumultuous history as president, with some really serious failures that have set up the system we currently live in, yet this movie doesn't even begin to address them. We get a single mention of the AIDS crisis and it's from a montage painting the protestors as the bad guys. We get nothing on Iran-Contra, nothing on the war on drugs, and nothing about the idiocy that is "Reaganomics." The movie was so much more interested in painting Reagan as a Christlike messiah that saved America than it was any sort of analysis on him as a man. I'm not even saying that as a Reagan hater (though I very much am) I'm saying that as a film fan. This movie doesn't have any nuance or analysis of the lead character and instead he's portrayed as the infallible underdog hero and it's genuinely disgusting.

At least the big conservative release last year, being Sound of Freedom was mildly entertaining. This one fails at everything from depicting this guy's life to being a functioning movie. Absolute skip.

#18- Borderlands
Borderlands.jpg

[Watched in theaters]

I've not played any of the Borderlands games so I went into this without a ton of expectations. Honestly it looked like a Guardians of the Galaxy ripoff and while the trailer wasn't anything special, I thought maybe it would be at least a little bit fun... It was not.

The cast here was stacked but none of them felt like they were attached to or even knew their character, instead all feeling stilted and flat. Cate Blanchett is a phenomenal actor but this was clearly just a paycheck for her. Kevin Hart played against type but also shed any ounce of charisma Kevin Hart has. Ariana Greenblatt was insanely annoying, Jamie Lee Curtis was there, and Jack Black somehow was even more annoying than Greenblatt. Add all that onto sloppy greenscreen, terrible visual effects, and a nonsense story and you end up with this slop. Definitely a skip.

#17- The Crow
The Crow.jpg

[Watched in theaters]

August remains really rough in this patch with The Crow, a "retelling" of the 90s film that killed Brandon Lee. I'm not really a big fan of that original movie and I've not read the graphic novel its based on so I didn't go in attached to anything and this still disappointed me. There is one decent action setpiece but most of the movie was just boring gothic trash without any neat visuals or good character moments.

For The Crow to work, you really need to buy the romance and I absolutely did not. These two characters didn't seem any more in love than some guy at a restaurant and a waitress who drew a smiley face on his takeout container, it's incredibly light and not at all believable as this relationship so important it keeps him alive in seeking revenge. If you want a revenge movie, just go watch the original film.

#16- Untold: The Murder of Air McNair
Untold- The Murder of Air McNair.jpg

[Watched on Netflix]

This year has had a ton of documentaries I've dubbed the "why did that need to be a documentary" group and this is 100% a shoe-in for that category. The story is super baseline, covers a pretty uninteresting murder case that's pretty cut and dry, then tries to make some weird case for the murder not to be that cut and dry. It literally introduces an "alternate suspect" in the last five minutes and just goes "I don't know, think about it" then ends. While I feel for the family of Steve McNair and for the man himself, I don't think this story had anything interesting enough to make a compelling true crime doc. Just let people rest already.

#15- The Deliverance
The Deliverance.jpg

[Watched on Netflix]

This movie started off so strong with a race and class commentary within a haunted house. It could've done some really interesting stuff with that setup and I genuinely felt that the movie was heading that way, but instead it takes some wild left turn and just becomes a bad exorcism movie that we've seen a million times. Unfortunately, it's not scary in the slightest, it becomes really generic, and it also becomes really preachy in the end. There's always a religious component to a possession story, it's kind of important most of the time, but this one felt more Angel Studios than it did The Exorcist. Plus at the end, the only thing solved is the demon stuff, the actual struggles the family was going through don't change but because they "found God" now the fact they're poor in a broken family is just cool? I don't know, I didn't really like this one after the first half.

#14- Saving Bikini Bottom: The Sandy Cheeks Movie
Saving Bikini Bottom- The Sandy Cheeks Movie.jpg

[Watched on Netflix]

Someone at Nickelodeon needs to just let this series go. It's been ongoing way too long and now the animation looks like this. The movie is really boring and really ugly to look at too. Sandy's voice actor is facing the Marge Simpson issue of just growing too old and sounding tired so having her take the lead in this movie was rough to listen to. The live action segments were brutal to sit through and did I mention the animation looks terrible because it does?

I think a Sandy Cheeks movie could work if it actually explored Sandy as the character was established: an intelligent scientific squirrel from Texas, but instead now she comes from a travelling circus driving around in Cousin Eddie's RV? I've been checked out of SpongeBob for a really long time and this absolutely reaffirmed that.

#13- The Mouse Trap
Mouse Trap, The.jpg

[Watched on VOD]

Steamboat Willie is public domain now so of course less than a year past there's a Mickey Mouse murder movie. Unlike Winnie-the-Pooh: Blood and Honey or any other movies in the Poohniverse, this movie doesn't follow Mickey as a killer, its just some dude in a Green Goblin mask that lets him teleport? It's weird but at the same time it's wacky and has a bit of fun to offer if you're able to just turn your brain off and accept the fact this movie is going to be bad. It doesn't take itself very seriously at all (which was Pooh's biggest issue) and is just a generic stupid slasher. I wouldn't run out to watch it, but the stupidity worked for me a bit, enough to put it this high but not enough to beat what are objectively better movies, even if a bit less fun.

#12- Trap
Trap.jpg

[Watched in theaters]

Trap was fine, even good, through the first act and a half where the movie is actually following the premise that this concert is set up as a trap for a serial killer. When you're following Josh Hartnett's character trying to figure out how to get out, the movie works, but once a decision is made and the movie leaves the concert venue it falls apart entirely for me. The last half of this movie did less than nothing for me as it throws out like three false endings and follows one character who I just did not care about in the slightest.

Shyamalan really propped up his daughter and her clear dream to be a pop singer and I'll give it to her, the songs were competent and I could imagine them on the radio, but I can't sit here and even pretend she was a serviceable actress. When she becomes a central character to the story I checked out because I just wasn't buying her performance. I don't think the movie is worse than The Lady in the Water or The Village in terms of Shyamalan thrillers, but I also don't love it and probably won't ever watch it again. Glad Josh Hartnett got some love though.

#11- Blink Twice
Blink Twice.jpg

[Watched in theaters]

I loved this movie for a decent chunk of it. I had a lot of fun with the premise, the shots were solid, I'll never complain about having to look at Adria Arjona, and the characters were solid enough as well. Unfortunately, I would argue that this movie has the single worst ending of the year so far and I don't know if it can be topped. The last 15-20 minutes are certainly rough, but I'm talking the last five minutes of the film just absolutely ruined any enjoyment I had left by taking it, stomping on it and taking a big ol **** on it. The movie was clearly trying to say something but that message gets entirely thrown away in those last few minutes. If you go watch this movie, walk out when there's the iconic "final girl wins and sits on the stairs with the fire behind her" moment that you'll recognize from Glass Onion or Ready or Not or plenty of others.​

PerGron

Original Poster
[Continued]

#10- Secret Lives of Orangutans
Secret Lives of Orangutans.jpg

[Watched on Netflix]

My obligatory nature documentary of the month! This one is narrated by Sir David Attenborough so that alongside the fact orangutans are super interesting species, I had to check it out. Unfortunately, for someone like me who is pretty knowledgeable about animals already, this documentary didn't really provide anything new or super interesting for me. The shots are gorgeous and seeing these animals in their natural habitat where they're very illusive is really interesting, but at the same time it didn't feel all that special as a doc. For people who aren't me though, I would recommend watching this to learn a bit about our most elusive and misunderstood cousins.

#09- Greedy People
Greedy People.jpg

[Watched on VOD]

Greedy People wants to be a Coen Brothers film so bad it almost hurts. The performances are actually pretty solid, especially from Joseph Gordon-Levitt who I was very happy to see here. The movie is effective in being a fun enough mystery that goes off the rails in full Coen Bros. fashion, yet that stylism that they're going for is a bit distracting and I wasn't the biggest fan of the premise overall. That said, I really liked the ending and I'd probably watch the movie again.

#08- Jackpot!
Jackpot!.jpg

[Watched on Prime Video]

Card-carrying member of the "I hate Awkwafina" club here, but I didn't really mind her here shockingly enough. She plays against type and I think it works out enough to get through the movie. John Cena is a delight (as per usual) and Simu Liu is also a lot of fun, kind of unfortunate this is the closest thing to a Shang-Chi sequel as we can look forward to though.

The movie isn't anything particularly special, it's pretty generic and the premise isn't even that original. Still, I had fun with it, I thought the performances were solid enough, and it even got a few laughs out of me, so there's that.

#07- Inside the Mind of a Dog
Inside the Mind of a Dog.jpg

[Watched on Netflix]

It's a dog documentary. If you like dogs, you'll like it.

#06- Watchmen: Chapter 1
Watchmen- Chapter I.jpg

[Watched on VOD]

I've been waiting a long while for a faithful adaptation of Watchmen and after the Snyder slop and the failed HBO series, I was beginning to think we'd never get it, yet here we are. Chapter 1 is a lot of setup so I don't know that I can put it any higher than this, but Watchmen is an all-time story that I'm happy to see get a solid adaptation. Hopefully the second chapter holds up as well.

#05- Incoming
Incoming.jpg

[Watched on Netflix]

I really like coming of age movies and I like teen high school party movies like Superbad, so while I wasn't excited for this movie, I knew it would probably at least be kind of alright. I didn't expect it to be as fun and sweet as it is. It's by no means a knock-your-socks-off type movie, it's pretty standard fare for this type of thing, but I had a decently good time with it, even if there is an incredibly cringy sing-along at the end that I'll never escape. It's nothing special, but it was a decently good time.

#04- The Instigators
Instigators, The.jpg

[Watched on Apple TV+]

This is the most Boston movie I've seen since The Departed and it doesn't even feature Mark Wahlberg. Matt Damon and Casey Affleck are really solid here and the movie has a ton of fun to it. It's a breezy action-packed comedy with some punchy little moments in it and a really realistic depiction of Boston where even with 20 cops lights on chasing a car, nobody moves over for them. That's commitment.

#03- Cuckoo
Cuckoo.jpg

[Watched in theaters]

I went into Cuckoo having had the concept kind of spoiled for me because I already knew about cuckoo birds and figured it out really quickly where the movie was going because of that. Still, Hunter Schafer and Dan Stevens absolutely stole the show here and this movie had some genuinely scary moments and jumpscares that I definitely recommend people check it out.

#02- Alien: Romulus
Alien- Romulus.jpg

[Watched in theaters]

Alien is in my top 10 favorite films of all time with Aliens in the top 25, so I was pretty ready for a new film in the franchise and while I totally get the qualms people are having with it, I really loved this movie. I found it the perfect level of creepy, atmospheric, and fascinating with some characters I found really enjoyable. The acid blood sequence is an all-timer and Andy is one of the best characters in sci-fi in recent memory. Plus, that at the end of the movie really worked for me. I'd definitely recommend this movie even if it isn't as scary or gory as I maybe wanted after seeing Fede Alvarez do Evil Dead (2013).

#01- Didi
Didi.jpg

[Watched in theaters]

I don't even have anything to say here, just go see Didi. It's wonderful.

Anyway, we're into September and opening weekend this weekend is Beetlejuice Beetlejuice which is exciting. Honestly September is pretty stacked with ones I wanna see including Transformers One, The Wild Robot, My Old A*s, Wolfs, Megalopolis, and more. Let's hope for a great month!

TheOriginalTiki

I'm a bit mixed on Beetlejuice Beetlejuice, but ultimately really liked it. It's far away the best Burton film since Frankenweenie. That's not even really a question. Everything here feels distinctly vintage, old school Tim Burton. From the production side of things this might be the single most visually impressive thing he's ever done. The returning characters in this one are probably among the best a "legacy sequel" has ever handled them. In particular I love how Lydia and Delia's dynamic has evolved since the first film. Keaton and Ryder are both great, but honestly Catherine O'Hara surprisingly kind of steals the show and for me gets all the biggest laughs. I love how over the top her character is and again it's right in line with how cartoonish Burton's characters used to be. There's a cameo towards the beginning that got a HUGE reaction out of the crowd.

Unfortunately, most of the new characters sort of fall flat for me and there's way too many of them, which is where the story really suffers. I think Jenny Ortega does a decent job and her vibe definitely fits in this world, but her whole storyline literally feels like it belongs in one of the next generation Ghostbusters movies more than a Beetlejuice movie, and is the first plot thing that really didn't need to be there. Justin Theroux as much as I love him in The Leftovers was easily the worst performance here and I think the movie did a sloppy job establishing that him and Lydia were actually in a relationship because when he first appears he's in full on "HR nightmare of a boss who can't keep his hands to himself" mode. I get that his character is supposed to be slimy but it's kind of impossible to buy that Lydia would ever give this dude the time of day (if the point of him is him using his position of power in her work to get close to her, the movie very much didn't feel like exploring that angle...)

Willem Dafoe's character is fun and an awesome design, but once again his whole presence kind of muddies the waters of the plot and doesn't really need to be there. I kind of feel like I might grasp what Burton was going for with her character more on a rewatch. Monica Belluci on the other hand has an AMAZING introduction and by the end of the movie has just kind of faded into the background. She easily could have been the central antagonist moving all the other plot threads instead of introducing literally three other antagonistic characters who all don't really add a ton on their own. The plot being too all over the place and the cast being too crowded is by far the biggest problem I have with the film as a whole. Honestly though, I feel like even in Burton's Golden age he always kind of suffered from bloated plots, so I feel like it's really not that out of character for him. I definitely need to watch it again, there was so much going on that I was struggling to keep up with all the different moving pieces of the plot, and there's also just so much to look at it's very much a theme park ride of a movie where it's impossible to visually catch everything on your first go.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom