The Imagineering Movie Discussion Thread

PerGron

Original Poster
I triple featured again today because it was a Monday Mystery Movie day and I had it off. Caught Rumours, We Live in Time and the mystery movie was Your Monster.

Rumours
I knew very very little about going into it and so I was pretty taken aback by how wacky it was. I did have fun but it’s definitely not a movie I think I’d recommend to most people.

We Live in Time was certainly a rom-dram. Florence Pugh was fantastic here but beyond her performance I thought very little about it. I’m not a huge fan of sad cancer romance movies like The Notebook and while this focused more on living than dying, it’s still just one of those movies. Not for me, though great performance.

Your Monster was the opposite. I love stupid rom-coms and this fit the bill. It was hilarious, emotional, and had a pretty surprising finale that I didn’t expect. Melissa Barrera can do no wrong and after getting fired from the Scream series, I’m happy to see her in this and Abigail just doing these fun memorable horror comedies. If you liked Lisa Frankenstein earlier this year, I think you’ll like Your Monster

TheOriginalTiki

Rumours I knew very very little about going into it and so I was pretty taken aback by how wacky it was. I did have fun but it’s definitely not a movie I think I’d recommend to most people.
Is it as much of a boomer movie as the ads are making it come across as? I love Cate Blanchett but hate how try hard the "this is the movie mainstream Hollywood isn't ready for" marketing has been.

PerGron

Original Poster
I rented Mars Express on Prime and holy **** was it a surprise. The flavor is basically Blade Runner meets Ex Machina but animated. I’ve not seen anyone talking about it at all and while it premiered last year at Cannes I believe, it released in full this year to absolutely zero fanfare. Highly recommend it, it was a blast

TheOriginalTiki

Still not getting Anora anywhere closer than San Francisco this week, but OH JOY OF JOYS my local theater is getting The (beep)ing Apprentice after it's been out in limited release for like a month. I obviously don't think the movie is going to actually endorse the subject matter and I love both Sebastian Stan and Jeremy Strong, but MAN do I really not feel like seeing that thing in an actual movie theater given the current political climate. It seems destined to be an "airplane" movie for me haha.

If I had a nickel for every time a hugely hyped up Oscar movie just didn't come anywhere near me this year...two nickels, weird that it happened twice, yada yada. At least I have Conclave this weekend. Genuinely stoked for that.

PerGron

Original Poster
Still not getting Anora anywhere closer than San Francisco this week, but OH JOY OF JOYS my local theater is getting The (beep)ing Apprentice after it's been out in limited release for like a month. I obviously don't think the movie is going to actually endorse the subject matter and I love both Sebastian Stan and Jeremy Strong, but MAN do I really not feel like seeing that thing in an actual movie theater given the current political climate. It seems destined to be an "airplane" movie for me haha.

If I had a nickel for every time a hugely hyped up Oscar movie just didn't come anywhere near me this year...two nickels, weird that it happened twice, yada yada. At least I have Conclave this weekend. Genuinely stoked for that.
The Apprentice was actually really good imo, very much the opposite of an endorsement (even though all the people in the audience were unaware of that going in, had a few walkouts.)

Anora looks like a wide release Nov 1 so fingers crossed. Meanwhile, Juror #2 is going to 50 theaters nationwide and that’s it, so I’m taking the train to Boston on the 6th to go see it at the only theater near me lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom