The Imagineering Break Room

Daveeeeed

Original Poster
Tokyo Disney SEA uses regions for the land’s overall theme, but sticks to mainly 1 country for the architecture:
MH: Italy
AW: New York
AC: Islamic Architecture + Aladdin
LRD: Mexico + Indiana Jones
ML: Ocean + The Little Mermaid
PD: ?
Frozen: Scandinavian
MI: Jules Verne

5 Region lands with 2 random themed lands, and one central land. We could instead have 3 region lands, 1 random land, 1 central land, and a water park land.

Perhaps...
Thailand as the entrance
London, Sydney, or San Fran instead of American Waterfront
A ‘Harambe’ like Land instead of LRD, AC, and Frozen.
A Finding Nemo Aquarium Land with a Wharf outside with artificial waves.
A Critter Country style water park.

The MI equivalent land I have no idea, but it should probably have something to do with the themes of discovery and exploration. Perhaps an IP or an IP in the same style of Jules Verne that has things to do with something suspenseful. I like Atlantis, but I still wonder what would be the icon. Simply a volcano?

Atlantis (not the movie) I feel would work better than it being themed to the film. It would sort of be like how strange Dinosaur is. It’s an IP that has very little feel and no ones really knows it. It also is awkwardly placed in a ride so everyone considers it IP free. Songs of The South had epic scenery and great songs. Not to say it’s impossible, it’s just I think if we do something based on Atlantis we should not theme it to the IP.
What do you guys think of having a water park connected? Since in Tokyo, the park does not have any ‘water rides’ that would be a cool feature. Ironic, right? Sinbad is a boat ride, but I am talking Kali it Splash. Usually connected water parks are referred to as cheap, so this could be a cool change in the industry. It would also help give justice to a smaller scale, but equally high level of theming park.

Also, what do you guys think about having an aquarium on a Wharf for Finding Nemo?

Suchomimus

Absolutely, yes! Each port will have an iconic weenie. For the Congo, shall we include something like King Solomon's Mines for a coaster? For ancient Greece's weenie, what about something like a toppled Colossus of Rhodes?

What should our entry city be? I simply adore Mediterranean Harbor and MiraCosta. Something similar but different might focus instead on France's Côte d'Azur and Nice and Monte Carlo. Going the other direction, I like Istanbul a lot, but I already used that for Monstrous Realms' entry realm. Or it doesn't have to be Mediterranean-set, but something else entirely.
I was thinking more on the lines of Mount Olympus for Ancient Greece. And as for the entry city, I’m thinking Bangkok Sydney or London could work.

D Hulk

I was thinking more on the lines of Mount Olympus for Ancient Greece. And as for the entry city, I’m thinking Bangkok Sydney or London could work.
Colonial-era London is a realistic entry land for Hong Kong, especially with their British history. The Master and Commander age of naval might ties into that SEA feeling as well.

Bangkok or Sydney may not be exotic enough from Hong Kong.

Thinking more last night, I've considered promoting Ancient Greece to entry land. It's the first era of great seafaring civilizations, like the Aegeans and Minoans and Phoenecians, which seems a nice thematic compliment to Mediterranean Harbor's Age of Exploration. Do it historical-style with famed ocean monuments like the Colossus of Rhodes and the Lighthouse of Alexandria. Just another thought.
IMG_6132.JPG

Daveeeeed

Original Poster
Colonial-era London is a realistic entry land for Hong Kong, especially with their British history. The Master and Commander age of naval might ties into that SEA feeling as well.

Bangkok or Sydney may not be exotic enough from Hong Kong.

Thinking more last night, I've considered promoting Ancient Greece to entry land. It's the first era of great seafaring civilizations, like the Aegeans and Minoans and Phoenecians, which seems a nice thematic compliment to Mediterranean Harbor's Age of Exploration. Do it historical-style with famed ocean monuments like the Colossus of Rhodes and the Lighthouse of Alexandria. Just another thought.
View attachment 239027
I'm thinking in terms of the old Bangkok. Perhaps something like this would be better suited for a land and not an entry land. Colonial London would be neat! Sydney could work in the same way as American Waterfront, but it might be too modern come to think of it. Just giving some ideas :D.Bangkok:

bangkok-canal-masthead-4.jpg

mickeyfan5534

I'm thinking in terms of the old Bangkok. Perhaps something like this would be better suited for a land and not an entry land. Colonial London would be neat! Sydney could work in the same way as American Waterfront, but it might be too modern come to think of it. Just giving some ideas :D.Bangkok:

bangkok-canal-masthead-4.jpg

If you're thinking American Waterfront equivalent, what about Paris in La Belle Époque?

Program_13094_Photo__572c.jpg

Yes, this is my excuse to shoehorn my favorite city in the world but I don curr.

Suchomimus

But you can't have change without those construction walls. And I think that once done, this will be beneficial.
I know that; though with less things to do and more construction work to see I can’t help but feel sorry for both Disney Springs and Downtown Disney, despite the former being bigger than the latter.

spacemt354

Chili's

Disney Dad 3000

Eh?

No name, no (apparent) theme...and it looks like a Marriott. And isn't the Disneyland Hotel like...right next to this?o_O Is this going to be part of a new Disneyland Hotel?

Maybe I'm missing something (I don't keep up as much with DL news) but what is the point of this? :p Seems so odd.

Like you I don't follow DL news much so visually can't really see this firsthand. The monorail station idea seems cool. If only they'd contacted this forum maybe we could've helped them craft something better. Might make for a good comp prompt to put a bether resort there if that's the direction they aRe going.
To go with Pixar taking over so much of CA they can stick a big Mater figure in front of it and call it Mater's Majestic Marriott (3M resort for short)

kmbmw777

Eh?

No name, no (apparent) theme...and it looks like a Marriott. And isn't the Disneyland Hotel like...right next to this?o_O Is this going to be part of a new Disneyland Hotel?

Maybe I'm missing something (I don't keep up as much with DL news) but what is the point of this? :p Seems so odd.
Like you I don't follow DL news much so visually can't really see this firsthand. The monorail station idea seems cool. If only they'd contacted this forum maybe we could've helped them craft something better. Might make for a good comp prompt to put a bether resort there if that's the direction they aRe going.
To go with Pixar taking over so much of CA they can stick a big Mater figure in front of it and call it Mater's Majestic Marriott (3M resort for short)
Based on my experiences there over summer, this hotel looks like it would take over the entrance to Downtown Disney from the Disneyland and Paradise Pier Hotel. Honestly, the area was always the most empty when we were there and the Sportzone seemed empty.
While the locals may disagree. I think the increased capacity and probably amenities will help the resort as a whole. Also, I think I read somewhere it’s rumored to have Art Deco inspiration

D Hulk

Based on my experiences there over summer, this hotel looks like it would take over the entrance to Downtown Disney from the Disneyland and Paradise Pier Hotel. Honestly, the area was always the most empty when we were there and the Sportzone seemed empty.
While the locals may disagree. I think the increased capacity and probably amenities will help the resort as a whole. Also, I think I read somewhere it’s rumored to have Art Deco inspiration
Yup, that's how it fits. The new hotel is the V-shaped deal, and the old Disneyland Hotel are the 3 towers behind it. Looks like they're creating a new, permanent security check at the V's tip, which is surely needed. Maybe shops on the ground floor. The parking area around Mickey & Friends, which is getting an additional decked lot on the Pinocchio lot alongside it, should also be getting a permanent security checkpoint, hopefully a more efficient system in time for Star Wars.

It feels like they're trying to make Downtown Disney traffic more exclusively for hotel guests, and less for Anaheim locals. Already they've eliminated the free 2-hour parking to minimize the afternoon drop-bies. As a local, but one 40 minutes away who typically does longer day-long visits, I'm in favor of this resort becoming more of a resort. More hotel rooms and fewer locals in the shopping area will do just that. A better use of existing space. (Disneyland, for those unaware, is so land-locked that its hotels are shoulder-to-shoulder like this out of practicality.)

With the Eastern Gateway in limbo right now, there's some internet rumor that Disney's hoping to squeeze out the businesses over there along Harbor Blvd., in hopes to later buy out more of that land at a cheaper cost. That eastern land is needed for future parking, hotels, shopping, transportation and infrastructure if Disney ever hopes to later create its third gate south of there. @Disney Dad 3000, maybe the prompt could be for creating a new Disney Springs equivalent on the east side?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom