The Imagineer-- Project 5

KingMickey

In the Parks
Yes
Sorry I haven't been posting the comments and reviews in a while, my personal life is a bit crazy. I'll resume ASAP.

trendicoff

Sorry for being tardy to the party, I've had some internet issues just this weekend, but I'm back and all my comments on the wonderful projects will be up in just a little while.

trendicoff

First off, Mater thanks for welcoming me in as a new judge, I'm already thrilled by the entries I've seen.

To all the contestants, superb efforts -- MK really needs more table dining options and you all rose to the challenge. Before I add my 2 cents, I wanted to have the chance to comment on your raw ideas so I have not read the Imagineer 5.5 thread so it's possible you've already changed some of the things on which I'll comment. That being said here are some highlights I saw as well as some constructive comments.

Disneyson and Mater you both raised great points and I agree with them wholeheartedly.

To you all: I was left guessing as to the style of table service restaurant this was, no one seemed to mention if it was full service or buffet, etc. (the mention of waiter or waitress to me could still apply to a quick service).

Now on a more personal level:

Tom Morrow's Tommorowland Restaurant - WDW vacationer
--Making use of the skyway is a wonderful recycling of unused space and that's the imagineer way
--keeping the bathrooms open to everyone is paramount. I know some of the other contestants may have assumed that fact, but 2 points for pointing it out.
--I love the balcony idea, it reminds me of many of John Hench's concept images for the mini tommorowland they built at the 1964 world's fair.
--although I wasn't thrilled with the menu choices, the planetary pancakes are named well and from a food prep standpoint very easy to prepare (just a round cookie cutter).

On the other hand:
--The name didn't thrill me, I like bringing back Tom Morrow, but how many restaurants do you know that have restaurant in the name?
--Why is it more easily available as you said, we don't assume tommorowland residents know about other lands, that goes against the immersive feeling of MK
--what is buzz lightyear bacon? experiment 626 sausage? just adding a name with no theming cheapens a brand
--For a full sit down restaurant (I'm not sure if this is, but if it has a waiting area I assume that means you are seated and served) the food is very Americana and a bit cheap (this one applies to all the tommorowland entries)
-- The food does not seem futuristic. If I'm eating in tommorowland I want to feel like I'm eating in the future.

Overall it was a great idea and if the menu were beefed up a bit, you could be sure to find me eating there.

Cosmic Ray's - bamsk8er49
--use of non used area (skyway) is a great idea!
--touch screen order system, about time it arrived. It's a very simple technology that could expedite the ordering system and certainly adds to the themed dining experience.
--Game room!

On the other hand:
--small lack of creativity redoing an existing restaurant, especially one as massively successful as Cosmic Ray's. Also, you seem to have literally cut and paste Ray from one location to the other. If he's at home, does he at least have a different wardrobe?
--While it can work on Main Street USA, sticking Ray's wife in the kitchen to cook may be a turn off for some diners.
--As a mentioned above the food lacks real theming and does not feel futuristic.

Tommorowland Skyview Diner - Jasonflz
--I love the background story, and the endorsements (does Buzz eat there?:)) help tie the restaurant in to land A+
--disabled access mentioned (elevator)
--The spaceport themed LCD great. Now I know I'm in tommorowland
--good food themeing

On the other hand:
--Stairs not so futuristic and that many stairs will be a big turnoff for some guests.
--The food seems a bit cheap for sit down.
--The food does not feel futuristic

Ray's - Comics 101
--The location idea is stellar. tying in a new film, A+
--The theming is really all around (although it reminds me slightly of Fulton's crab house at DTD) wonderful themeing.
-- The food is elegant and tied in with theming!!!

On the other hand:
--will guests really go to TS island for food? (I saw you said that there will be a bridge built so that the raft ride will not be necessary.
--I know it's not so avoidable, but having another "ray" restaurant is going to cause lots of confusion (perhaps Disneyson's suggestion of Tiana's might be good).
--I fear AAs cheapen an "elegant sit down restaurant"?

Again great job to all, and I certainly don't mean to be critical but I honestly think constructive criticism helps us grow.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom