The House Cup: An Imagineering Competition

captainmoch

Year 6: A Slytherin Presentation.

Lille-0152-579936079.jpg

When Disneyland Paris opened, it's crowning jewel was without a doubt Discoveryland, a retro-future revolving around the works of some of Europe's greatest authors and inventors, from DaVinchi to H.G Wells.

Alas, the future has been tarnished. :(

Now, almost 25 years later, Discoveryland has more or less become a golden Tomorrowland. Modern science fiction properties like Star Wars and Toy Story have arrived.

Let's face it... Discoveryland is in dire need of a refurbishment. The true theme needs to be restored.

So, my fellow friends, are you ready to dive right into the new Discoveryland? ;)

The Time Machine:

8cd1acfa490a02a79198f8b2a3ff7914.jpg

The Time Machine is the latest E-ticket to grace Disneyland Paris and the centerpiece of this new Discoveryland expansion. Taking place in the plot of Discoveryland's Autopia, this attraction is a state of the art, trackless dark ride through time itself, with guests riding in sets of trackless maneuverable time machines through several show scenes; giving Disneyland Paris an equivalent to attractions such as Mystic Manor and Pooh's Hunny Hunt.

The queue of this attraction begins in the lab of the Time Traveler himself, who says he's looking for one of his time machines that has vanished, and that he's recruiting the help of everyday people to search through time. The queue has plenty of interesting gadgets to look at and scientific excerpts to read.

the_alchemist_laboratory_by_kashuse-d85dub1.jpg

Soon guests board the vehicles, and begin their time traveling journey. The trackless vehicles leave their loading stations, and enter a testing room of the lab. The time traveling process begins, and soon a vortex effect fills the room, using a clever mix of projection mapping and fog.

The rest of the attraction is a journey through several time periods; discovering the awes and dangers of each, before moving on. The first entered is the Paleolithic Era, where guests encounter AAs of cavemen and even a full sized woolly mammoth. Guests also enter Ancient Egypt, medieval Europe, and a sleek future. In each era, the Time Traveler helps the guests look for the missing machine, leading up to the climax of the ride.

In the final climactic portion of the ride, guests encounter AAs of the iconic Morlocks from the original story, hoarding the missing time machine. The Time Traveler manages to take control of the machine now that he located it, and through a clever effect, an empty unused ride vehicle (of the missing time machine) follows the guests as they escape the AA Morlocks. Once the guests get out of the way, they enter another large vortex like the one from the beginning. It clears up to reveal guests are back in the lab they started in, with the missing time machine rightfully returned, and with the space-time continuum out of danger. The Time Traveler thanks the guests for their bravery and hard work, and welcomes them back home. The gift shop for this attraction is time travel-themed, having all kinds of merchandise both from different time periods and relating to time travel.

WAR OF THE WORLDS:

War-of-the-Worlds.jpg

Discoveryland is in peril! The Martians are attacking our poor city, causin miles of damage and destruction. Only you and your fellow guests can save it, in this thrilling interactive dark ride that takes the place of Buzz Lightyear Laser Blast! :eek:

FACADE:

55c98cbd9975b0b446ae505bf4f6170a.jpg

A massive observatory serves as the facade. Giant telescopes pop out of the building, powered by large steam engines. The small round entryway to the right serves as the entrance to the building.

QUEUE (PART 1):

The first segment of the queue is relativity brief. Making our way towards the main telescope through the halls of the building, we see sketches and design plans of the observatory and some strange rough drawings of weird alien craft. Signs welcome you to the observatory, and inform you of a demonstration of the new telescope by famed cosmologist Dr. Baxter , the first one ever to provide a clear picture of the planet Mars.

PRESHOW:

We are now in the main telescope room. Looking upwards, we see a small IMAX screen, allowing us to peer at the stars and planets above. The lights dim as wee see Dr. Baxter enter the room.

He greets us and informs us of the demonstration that is about to take place- the first ever viewing of the surface of Mars! As Baxter begins to work the telescope, sudden gas eruptions are seen on Mars (projected on IMAX). Frazzled, he takes a closer look. The reason is nightmarish: hundreds of alien craft heading in the general direction of our world!

Stunned, Dr. Baxter confides in his only solution, have us board prototype vehicles and fight the creatures ourselves!

QUEUE (PART 2):

Heading to the observatory backdoor, alarms screech. Prototype blasters line the walls, aching to be used. War is imminent. We are quickly led to our prototype vehicles, reusing the same omnimover shooter system as Buzz Lightyear.

RIDE EXPERIENCE:

war-of-the-worlds-battle-500x338.jpg

For starters, there are no scenes on this attraction, as most of it is free flowing.

The ride is essentially a big battle through the city of Discoveryland. Alien walkers patrol the streets. Starcraft flies over the sky, dropping plasma bombs on the buildings. Using our free-range blasters, we can damage the alien machinery and bring a stop to the invasion.

The finale is truly the climax of the ride, as we enter the abandoned fireworks factory (which may or may not be a nod to a lost concept. ). We can blast the fireworks crate to cause a massive explosion that can take out the mothership,

Afterwards, we are given a hero's welcome back at the observatory by the staff for saving the grand city. After we disembark, we re-enter the city, thriving as if nothing happened.

Orbitron:
43627_orig.jpg

The iconic Discoveryland spinner attraction is staying, but not without a major makeover, with the attraction being demolished and rebuilt from scratch. While the basic look of the attraction is staying the same, except neatly cleaned and updated... it's rising upwards! The attraction now is elevated upwards, similar to the Magic Kingdom version of the attraction, so guests can get marvelous views of Discoveryland. (Note: this attraction is only elevated to a second level, rather than a third like it is at MK) The queue is now what rests below the attraction, and instead of needing to take an elevator, guests simply go through the line on a ramp winding upwards to the attractions.

The Astronomy Club:
45fad3933747c274d00dc4483c052319.jpg

The Astronomy Club is a quick/table service dining location located in Discoveryland, themed to a thriving 19th century planetarium, converted into a restaurant so guests can dine while looking out at the stars. This large TS takes the place of Star Tours; which is being relocated to Walt Disney Studios Paris, as it no longer fits with the story of Discoveryland. Based off a lost Disneyland Paris dining concept, this table service serves a variety of fancy European foods. Much like Be Our Guest at Magic Kingdom, this dining location is a quick service for lunch, with more affordable lunch options, and at night it becomes a table service, with higher-end, more expensive options. Alcohol is served, but only during dinner hours.

As guests dine, a starfield will shimmer above them, slowly orbiting to show guests the entire night sky. Actors playing 19th century astronomers roam, explaining to the guests what stars we're seeing at each moment, and even providing some humor and whimsy to dining guests. Overall, this dining experience is high-end, immersive, and wondrous.

Conclusion:

As said in the introduction, Discoveryland's theme has been fully restored. By removing unfitting attractions and replacing them with new, appropriate experiences, and by improving and adding other attractions to flesh out the land, Discoveryland is bigger and better than ever before.

And that's really saying something. :)

1.jpg

MonorailRed

Applebees
Year 6 Reviews
2000px-Hogwarts_coat_of_arms_colored_with_shading.svg.png

Gryffindor

I think it was a nice move to use Marvel out in Disneyland Paris! I wasn’t expecting this IP for a Discoveryland overhaul – Nice job at being unique.

I thought the Asgardian entrance was spectacular architectural wise! The entrance was really immersive, and I could totally see Disney pulling it off well. Volstagg's Tavern, Oden's Vault, Le magasin de l'écrivain - The Writer's Shop, and Thor Hammer Lift were all wonderful touches to the land!

Avengers: Infinity War was a spectacular E-ticket! The queue and pre-show was wonderful. The ride itself was absolutely amazing! Great work on that!

Dr. Strange was a wonderful attraction with awesome concept art! I feel like it would go over well since the movie is coming out. Excellent work!

Avengers Academy looked like a fun spin on the Jedi Training Academy!

Captain Marvel seemed like a good fit for a future expansion, I wish I had more information on it though. Guardians of the Galaxy Mini land was a solid addition with the new movie coming out as well! Great choices!

Overall, great post Gryffindor

Hufflepuff
giphy.gif

My only critique is that all the artwork that you guys were working on wasn’t in the final post, and you guys had some great stuff! Be sure to post it all in the thread so everyone can see!

Overall, great presentation Hufflepuff!

Ravenclaw

Great Discoveryland Refurb Ravenclaw! I think this is the strongest post you’ve done so far in House Cup – Excellent job on that!

Your presentation style was awesome! They’re have been several attempts at using spoilers as a “template” for presentations on the Imagineer section, but I believe you guys pulled it all together very well, so definitely giving you props on that!

Journey to the Center of the Earth was a nice twist on Buzz, while Aircycle was a nice spin on the new TRON cycles. Though, I did wish the air cycles had more of a immersive story.

Un Voyage a Travers le Temps Encore seemed like a nice Timekeeper return! Though I wish it was more original like your Dreamfinder and Figment attraction.

Awesome addition of a Star Wars land! The updates to the jedi training academy sounded great! I wish I had more information on the land though.

The Turn of Time was spectacular! One of my favorite attractions in this year!

Overall, awesome job Ravenclaw!

Slytherin

I have to say your ideas of fixing Discoveryland were absolutely spectacular! The Time Machine fits perfectly with the area, and it really stood out as an attraction! Spectacular work on this!

The War of Worlds seemed to fix the Buzz Lightyear in a Steamplunk area issue, and it had a nice storyline as well! The queue and preshow were great and the “Dr. Baxter” nod was nice.

Even though the Orbitron refurb was small, I feel like this will really add to the land, nice work there!

I really love The Astronomy Club concept, it was originally a DLRP concept if I remember correctly. Though, I do wish you did something a little more original than this for a quick service.

Overall, Great job! Nice additions, I just wish I had more than what was provided for a total “fixing” of Discoveryland.

MonorailRed

Applebees
YEAR SEVEN - IMAGINEERS AND THE DEATHLY HOTELS

Welcome to your Seventh and Final Year at Hogwarts, students. A long road to this point, and now Year 7 to decide all the marbles...Game 7, winner take all, and any team is within striking distance of the House Cup

To set the stage, here are the current standings heading into Year Six

1st Hufflepuff - 1144 points
2nd Gryffindor - 1123 points
3rd Ravenclaw - 1066 points
4th Slytherin - 999 points

Year Seven will be a little different than our other years at Hogwarts, because in order to win, you must work as a team. Teamwork has been a vital part of the House Cup format, and now is the time, now is the best time, to put your teamwork on display.

There will be a variety of options to choose from in Year Seven:

1 - The Final Main Challenge
Imagine the Swan and Dolphin never existed, and design a Deluxe Resort in that location.

This Main Challenge will not be mandatory, unlike the first six years, however the points distribution will remain the same.

1st - 150 points

2nd - 125 points

3rd - 100 points

4th - 75 points

2 - The Battle of Hogwarts

Much like the Quidditch World Cup matches in Year Four, the Battle of Hogwarts will be an opportunity for you to duel a member from another House, one on one, in order to gain points for your House.

The challenge topic will be selected by the judges and you must have a minimum of 20 sentences in your individual proposals.

The winner of the duel will receive 75 points for their House. The opponent, will receive 50 points for participation.

*An amendment from Year Four...

For the Battle of Hogwarts duels, there will be a maximum of 3 duelers per House...and you can only duel each House once.

This means, if Ravenclaw wants to duel Slytherin, 3 Ravenclaws cannot duel 3 Slytherins and leave the other Houses out. If Ravenclaw duels Slytherin, the other 2 possible duels must be with Hufflepuff and Gryffindor respectfully.

3 - Battle of the Seven Potters
latest

This will be a unique challenge -

You'll be given a prompt and have to come up with 7 different proposals for the prompt. Each proposal being 5 sentences.

There may be only one Seven Potters proposal per House and you will receive 70 House points for your efforts!

The challenge is - Design 7 different refurb options for Tom Sawyer Island in the Magic Kingdom

4 - Gringotts Bank of Challenges
Remember all the mini-challenges we voted on? The ones that we haven't done so far...are all up for grabs in Year Seven!

Add a new show to replace the Circle of Life in the Land Pavilion ---- from @David2319

Re-design a Disney coaster as a dark ride or re-design a Disney dark ride as a coaster ---- from @The90skid

Re-design the aesthetics of Innoventions, walkways, exteriors, etc ---- from @David2319

Design a new restaurant anywhere in WDW ---- from @The90skid

Give a temporary Star Wars overlay to a classic Disney attraction ---- from @The90skid

With the recent success of The Jungle Book, include the film somehow in the parks ---- from @Brer Panther

Add a new attraction to Main Street U.S.A. in WDW ---- from @David2319

Room of Requirement Challenge ---- from @your own minds

There are 7 mini-challenges left in the Gringotts Bank of Challenges + a Room of Requirement challenge (same as Year Five - make up your own challenge and do whatever you want!)

(all challenges are listed above)

Just like with all of the other mini-challenges, all you need is 5 sentences, and you will receive 10 House points per submission (and a maximum of 4 submissions per House)

One final note...

All of these projects are optional.

The winner of the House Cup will basically come down to who wants it more, and who works the best as a team. We're giving you an early jump so that you can plan out who can do what, schedule it all out, and work out how to maximize your points! You have a wide variety of options to choose from.

All of these projects will be due Tuesday June 28th at 11:59 PM EST
(it is recommended though that you set your own internal team due dates to keep yourselves on track!)

Good Luck Houses! You've accomplished so much and it's really great to see - let's end the House Cup with an epic finale!

Your House PMs will be made now so you'll have them in the morning to begin discussing!

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
2 - The Battle of Hogwarts

Much like the Quidditch World Cup matches in Year Four, the Battle of Hogwarts will be an opportunity for you to duel a member from another House, one on one, in order to gain points for your House.

The challenge topic will be selected by the judges and you must have a minimum of 20 sentences in your individual proposals.

The winner of the duel will receive 75 points for their House. The opponent, will receive 50 points for participation.

*An amendment from Year Four...

For the Battle of Hogwarts duels, there will be a maximum of 3 duelers per House...and you can only duel each House once.

This means, if Ravenclaw wants to duel Slytherin, 3 Ravenclaws cannot duel 3 Slytherins and leave the other Houses out. If Ravenclaw duels Slytherin, the other 2 possible duels must be with Hufflepuff and Gryffindor respectfully.

I guess I will kick this off:p

If anyone on @Hufflepuff would like to duel - I'd be willing!:D

MonorailRed

Applebees
Wanna go space?:cool:
:p;):D
I guess I will kick this off:p

If anyone on @Hufflepuff would like to duel - I'd be willing!:D

Battle Of Hogwarts
Gryffindor vs. Hufflepuff

Session 2 - Operation Rejuvenation
Concept Creation Challenge 2

In your next Concept Creation challenge, you will be divided into eight teams, with each team tasked to refurbish a different attraction.

-The Jungle Cruise
-Peter Pan's Flight
-Tomorrowland Speedway
-Carousel of Progress
-Journey Into Imagination with Figment
-Universe of Energy
-The Great Movie Ride
-Kali River Rapids

Each team will be selected based on Session 1 standings. Your goal is to design a refurb proposal for the attraction you choose. Details below. Do your best work, because you never know what's in store for....The Creator Games. Good Luck!

There you all have it! Now, for your teams. They will be assigned like so...

MCParradox - ScorpionX
DisneyPrincess1993 - InfiniteRightEar97
jdmdisney99 - JokersWild
RMichael - Vipraa
ctxak98 - 2001DisneyLife
Darth_Disney - tcool
Matt7187 - Brer Panther
TheOriginalTiki - orlando678-

Because @MCParradox was the winner last session, he will have the advantage of choosing first which attraction his team will refurbish. Following him will be @DisneyPrincess1993, and so on. These contestants choosing may consult with their teammate, but the decision is ultimately theirs.
Please make your decisions ASAP, or we will decide for you.

Challenge is due Saturday, May 9th at 7:00 PM EST. You and your partner will work together designing the concept in a PM that I will create and the judges will watch over.

In addition, sometime during the week, you will receive your first AoI challenge...

Your task is to pick one of the set attractions from your own competition from last year, and you will be "tasked to refurbish" whichever one you choose.

This project is due June 28th on Tuesday at 11:59 PM EST.

DinoInstitute

Battle Of Hogwarts
Gryffindor vs. Hufflepuff

Your task is to pick one of the set attractions from your own competition from last year, and you will be "tasked to refurbish" whichever one you choose.

Ah, I forgot all about that challenge! Very interesting...

:p:hilarious:

Yes! Good Luck @IDInstitute - Battle of The Creator Games:joyfull:
Good luck to you as well! This should be a fun one! :D ;)

MonorailRed

Applebees
I'd be willing to duel for Ravenclaw if anyone wants to.
@Poe Dameron I challenge you to a duel!

Battle Of Hogwarts
Gryffindor vs. Ravenclaw

star-wars-land-concept-art4.jpg

Your task is to design a Star Wars themed flat ride for Hollywood Studios for the new Star Wars land. A flat ride is considered attractions such as the Teacups, Astro Orbitor, Dumbo, and Mater's Junkyard Jamboree. So, keep that in mind while designing your attraction!

MonorailRed

Applebees
I'd like to challenge a Ravenclaw or Slytherin to a duel.

Let's go. :cool:

Battle Of Hogwarts
Slytherin vs. Hufflepuff
illumination.jpg

Your task is to create a new nighttime show to replace Illuminations. This can be an update to Illuminations or a new show entirely. Use whatever effects you wish, go crazy!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom