The House Cup: An Imagineering Competition - Discussion Thread

englanddg

One Little Spark...
http://hufflepuffdiscoveryland.weebly.com/

My review (been a while since I've done one of these)

"Our Year Six challenge is to “redesign” Disneyland Paris’ Discoveryland. When it opened in 1992, Discoveryland was meant to address the fact that “Tomorrowland,” in Disneyland and at Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom, while initially futuristic in design, did not hold up well after a few years. For Discoveryland, Disney’s imagineers drew their inspiration from visionaries like Jules Verne and Leonardo da Vinci. Much of the land’s architecture keyed off of Verne’s futuristic design visions."

I simply adore this introduction. I don't like the layout, as this should be the focus, not the confusing graphic to the right, but, overall, this is fantastic.

"Hufflepuff’s redesign takes theming in a new direction, using Time as the focus. In homage to the original design, we retain Space Mountain and the Orbitron as centerpieces of the land, which when viewed from above would serve as the mid-point of a giant clock face. The time theme allows us to look back, whether “A long time ago in a galaxy, far, far, away,” or to a fantastic vision of the future. "

Someone has been studying Walt's style of presentation....but, here you needed a paragraph break.

"a steam train chugging through the land’s station fits with our new “time zone,” a classic Disney stage show will feel right at home, and we introduce a new time travel attraction to take us everywhere in between."

"A Steam Train chugging through the land's station fits into our "time zone,", and an exciting stage show will feel right at home here, in the future, as we introduce a new time travel attraction to take us everywhere in between."

Well written, but you made an analogy, and didn't keep to it.

Not sure about the "mistress of time" or whatever her name is...but, lets see how she plays into your concept before I give a final thought.

Skipping ahead...the video....VERY well edited. The voice of the video, you need a better mic, or mic skills (you can use a crappy mic, but you need to get close to it)...but, I really like the

Nice until "shijian, temps, jikan, etc..."... is all this?

Also, not sure about the "mistress of time" or whatever her name is...but, lets see how she plays into your concept before I give a final thought.

Ok, here it goes off the rails. Watchmakers and Hunchback oddly mesh, but the hoverboards? No sir.

Nice video though.

(clicks on)

Map isn't clickable...meh...

So....tab by tab. Oh, it opens each in a new tab...annoying...

Oh, once I click on a tab, I can't go back...bad design here...I need to use the back button...which I can't, because it's in a new tab. VERY bad design (STOP relying on weebly! I said it years ago...you learn nothing, this is NOT web design, but it can be, if you do it right, but posting stuff here is the moral equivalent of your father making a powerpoint) That rant aside, this "powerpoint" is very well designed aesthetically, it looks great!

Back to the content.

" Rather than focus on the latest in labor-saving kitchen appliances, our script will key on the fast pace of life at the turn of the century - like supersonic air travel, their quick trip from London to Paris via high speed rail through the new “Chunnel,” and how communications technology (the term “smartphone” was used in the 1990’s), and the Web are bringing people closer together."

All of everything you just described was in the 90s or before, except "smartphone", which came about in general use in the early 00s.

Way to go!

"In the distance, we see the Eiffel Tower."

Because, France. Though, don't take that too snarky, I think it's a good positioning scene...

Great ending.

Eiffel Town?

I really don't like Time Flies...not at all. Scrapper idea. From liability to attractiveness to families, the concept fails.

Time Traveler is interesting, more on it later.

Ok, I get the Hunchback thing now, should have been made clear in the video. It's part of the theater rotating show. THAT could work. Also, Time Wench, makes sense now.

I like Watchmaker, but by this point in the presentation, I'm getting a tad bored.

Kill the Visions of the Future Theater...what is the point?

Restaurants

I don't see how Clock Cleaners (the characters chosen) fits into the theme?

La Pendule...love it.

Stroke of Midnight feels forced, don't like it.

Quarter Past is great.

It's 5 O'Clock - Ok, the joke is worn thin...

Nothing bad or good to say about the shops. They exist, and are appropriate.

Great map, not interactive.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
It depends if they can keep the annual growth. That will be the question. They are approaching an interesting point where they will grow or they will stay stagnant no matter what they do. The water park and a 3rd gate will be interesting, however due to delays with the water park I believe they will delay announcement of the 3rd gate
I don't think their niche is a third gate...if they try and compete with WDW head on at the WDW game (which is everything to everyone), I think they'll lose...

It reminds me of the 90s when they tried to go up against Disney on the "we have thrill rides" aspect...and lost...and lost hard.

The moment Disney realized the magic back into their resorts, Uni is screwed. But, as long as WDW keeps operating their resorts at barely a hotel 6 and above, well...Uni will have draw.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
My summary?

Wow, the video and intro writing (and writing as a whole) was fantastic.

I found the attractions wanting, especially the one with the hoverboards...there's a way to do hoverboards, that isn't it...

I really don't like the sake of using a website to communicate a concept when it's not well organized, and this...wasn't well organized.

The food was mediocre.

I really loved the opening ideas, and was drawn into it, but then was drawn out of it by trying to figure out what the lady who was to "lead us through time" (who showed up only once again in the presentation) was all about and how hunchback fit into all of this.

B+...is my grade. Take it or leave it, I'm not competing, and don't care...it's my grading scale! :p!

Jack Pumpkinhead

What "run for their money"?

Tomorrowland fully and Discoveryland partially, have been corrupted for so long they don't even carry much of their original meaning. What is there to compete with?

No one but a DisNerd says "Hey, I really want to ride the WEDWAY to see the cityscape!"...only dorks do.

Universal has nothing to compete with...
Well, Universal used to have a large selection of nonIPs before Harry Potter; in which it replaced the Merlinwood of the Lost Continent. And since you have a nice chunk of land; with a very popular roller coaster; the most logical thing to do is use science fiction. And do you honestly not know how big a rival Universal and Disney are? Have you not been paying attention to the knockoffs and ripoffs Universal makes? http://www.themeparktourist.com/fea...isney-spoofs-universal-theme-park-attractions

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Well, Universal used to have a large selection of nonIPs before Harry Potter; in which it replaced the Merlinwood of the Lost Continent. And since you have a nice chunk of land; with a very popular roller coaster; the most logical thing to do is use science fiction. And do you honestly not know how big a rival Universal and Disney are? Have you not been paying attention to the knockoffs and ripoffs Universal makes? http://www.themeparktourist.com/fea...isney-spoofs-universal-theme-park-attractions
I'm not sure I see your point.

Tomorrowland has been a land with an identity crisis...most lands set to sci-fi/futuristic themes have trouble keeping that theme relevant. Why would a "rival" choose this route, when it could easily capitalize on a lucrative IP that deserves a land? (now has 2)

Voxel

President of Progress City
Did you ever experience the Disney parks in the 70s/80s/most of the 90s. Universals could never compete with that and that's why we say that if Disney can bring the magic back Univeral won't be able to compete. If you listen to what we say we admit that Uni and Disney are rivals and they one reason that is extremely true today is because NBC holds a grudge for Disney not selling themselves to NBC. Don't suggest that Eng and I don't know about the theme park business you talking about some one who spent their entire summer at Epcot back in its hay day. We remember Horizons we remember the magic that Disney gave to guest. The way the hotel staff would do anything to make your stay amazing and help out if something went wrong. Disney World is not as Magical as it use to be, (the cruises on the other hand). The Imagineers are some of the greatest theme park creators in the world there is a reason they own 200+ patents. They created animatronics, they designed the first steel tube coaster, this list goes on. But Disney proper won't let them flex there muscle to showcase their true ability, this is why Univeral is catching up. If Disney would flex its muscle and bring back their legendary customer service Universal would never stand a chance.

Voxel

Pretty much
Disney lost Harry Potter because they wanted to build a ride like Buzz Lightyear. It's these quick easy solutions that management want to add to the parks that make Disney weak. I truely believe that if Disney wanted to it could have done Harry Potter much better except for the Forbidden Journey ride. Look at what Imagineers has done in Japan over the last few years they still have it, when they are allowed to use it.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Disney lost Harry Potter because they wanted to build a ride like Buzz Lightyear. It's these quick easy solutions that management want to add to the parks that make Disney weak. I truely believe that if Disney wanted to it could have done Harry Potter much better except for the Forbidden Journey ride. Look at what Imagineers has done in Japan over the last few years they still have it, when they are allowed to use it.
I could imagine using a lot more practical sets... I could even see a full scale Quidditch Roller coaster

I think you even had that idea for the Tri-Wizard Tournament:D

Voxel

I could imagine using a lot more practical sets... I could even see a full scale Quidditch Roller coaster

Haha yes yes I did, and yes Disney blended of practical sets is still undefeated. I wish they would start bringing back the small things that made Disney magical. I still think they should bring the soap dispensers from Japan that give of foam soap in the shape of Mickeys head.

Jack Pumpkinhead

Did you ever experience the Disney parks in the 70s/80s/most of the 90s. Universals could never compete with that and that's why we say that if Disney can bring the magic back Univeral won't be able to compete. If you listen to what we say we admit that Uni and Disney are rivals and they one reason that is extremely true today is because NBC holds a grudge for Disney not selling themselves to NBC. Don't suggest that Eng and I don't know about the theme park business you talking about some one who spent their entire summer at Epcot back in its hay day. We remember Horizons we remember the magic that Disney gave to guest. The way the hotel staff would do anything to make your stay amazing and help out if something went wrong. Disney World is not as Magical as it use to be, (the cruises on the other hand). The Imagineers are some of the greatest theme park creators in the world there is a reason they own 200+ patents. They created animatronics, they designed the first steel tube coaster, this list goes on. But Disney proper won't let them flex there muscle to showcase their true ability, this is why Univeral is catching up. If Disney would flex its muscle and bring back their legendary customer service Universal would never stand a chance.
No, my first visit was in the 21st century. And Universal does have a sci-fi based zone in Singapore; a more recent Universal Studios park. I've never been there myself but it certainly looks better than Disney's Tomorowland(s); if they could just remove Accelatron and build a new flat ride.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Haha yes yes I did, and yes Disney blended of practical sets is still undefeated. I wish they would start bringing back the small things that made Disney magical. I still think they should bring the soap dispensers from Japan that give of foam soap in the shape of Mickeys head.
Oh yes!! That would be great.

I'm excited for Pandora...if the Frozen AAs are any indication of the motion that can be done...my expectations are high. Just watching the Frozen ride again...the Elsa AA literally looks and moves like an actual person

Voxel

I'm excited for Pandora...if the Frozen AAs are any indication of the motion that can be done...my expectations are high. Just watching the Frozen ride again...the Elsa AA literally looks and moves like an actual person
I was upset when Disney brought in a new company to work with Imagineers in the AA field but not anymore these new AA are killing it.

Jack Pumpkinhead

Well, I really can't. I mean what technology would the ride use to make them look like a broomstick? Would the ride have randomizes the teams we play? How many tracks would there be? Two or four (I know that there are two teams in quiddicth ; but we have four houses)?

Voxel

Well, I really can't. I mean what technology would the ride use to make them look like a broomstick? Would the ride have randomizes the teams we play? How many tracks would there be? Two or four (I know that there are two teams in quiddicth ; but we have four houses)?
Two tracks 2 trains on each track which is what I proposed in my Triwizard. If you wanted to stimulate a broom you could use the Tron tech but that would be unsafe in a narrow design. You don't have to make the attraction feel like a broom to give a quidditch experience. You give the experience as if they are flying through the arena.

I hate the quote system some days

Jack Pumpkinhead

If there's one thing that Disney could have done better with Pandora was base it more the book and not the movie. Sure, Avatar is the highest grossing film of all time and is getting four or so sequels, but it's in the environmental protection pandering like Cloudy 2.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
That's what imagineering is all about...designing the impossible

Who ever thought of a rotating theater before CoP? Or AAs?

Also there would be two tracks, most likely dueling because the point of it would be to catch the "snitch" so to speak...I could see any type of coaster working for it.

Also why can't you have all 4 houses? there's 4 coaster trains on the track per time...1 per house...so you don't know which one will arrive at the station.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom