The House Cup: An Imagineering Competition - Discussion Thread

Jack Pumpkinhead

No I mean they had the contract all but signed to put LOTR in the parks but let slip a fact about the ride that Tolkien family wasn't happy with and they backed up. That's why the mass amount of Disney LOTR rumors came out about 2 years ago.
Was it that ride that made the Tolkein family back off the contract a 3D motion ride or something like that?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
No, I mean something that revolves around science fiction that would give Disney's Tomorowlands and Discoveryland a run for their money. They have a new restaurant/shop that is themed to steampunk and a Sci-Fi City zone in Singapore, and Disneyland Paris blew an opportunity with Discoveryland to be like the Mysterious Island and Port Discovery in TDS, so why shouldn't Universal have a port based around *-punk or far future?
What "run for their money"?

Tomorrowland fully and Discoveryland partially, have been corrupted for so long they don't even carry much of their original meaning. What is there to compete with?

No one but a DisNerd says "Hey, I really want to ride the WEDWAY to see the cityscape!"...only dorks do.

Universal has nothing to compete with...

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Not sure on the details what what made them back down. It might have been issues with the way it was being marketed. Who knows, the Tolkien Family ain't happy with the Hobbits Movies and that probably played a large part
They should be upset with the Hobbit movies, they were terrible.

That said, it's stupid to protect an IP that the family doesn't control anymore. The vast majority of people won't read his boring books (not all boring, but some of them) unless they are preened to do so by some sort of exciting media.

Voxel

President of Progress City
They should be upset with the Hobbit movies, they were terrible.

That said, it's stupid to protect an IP that the family doesn't control anymore. The vast majority of people won't read his boring books (not all boring, but some of them) unless they are preened to do so by some sort of exciting media.
It's all complex, that probably all stems from Tolkiens dislike of Disney. Idk. All I know is the next 5 years will be interesting for Uni and Disney

englanddg

One Little Spark...
It's all complex, that probably all stems from Tolkiens dislike of Disney. Idk. All I know is the next 5 years will be interesting for Uni and Disney
The gauntlet was thrown...we'll see.

Right now, Universal is winning the race. Funny how Disney came rushing back to WDW after that happened.

But, we've been in the game and playing long enough to see that develop.

I suspect, in the end, Disney will win, but Uni has taken their chomp.

If asked right now for a free vacation between the two? I'd choose Uni. Hands down.

Voxel

The gauntlet was thrown...we'll see.

Right now, Universal is winning the race. Funny how Disney came rushing back to WDW after that happened.

But, we've been in the game and playing long enough to see that develop.

I suspect, in the end, Disney will win, but Uni has taken their chomp.

If asked right now for a free vacation between the two? I'd choose Uni. Hands down.
I would agree with this in many ways, I know Disney has more things in Pipeline that haven't been announce and similar universal is in a similar boat. I know uni starts zoning discussions concerning that 400+ acres that use to belong to Lockheed and I would be willing to be they start site prep the moment they get approval. I also think the next Uni Hotel after the Cabana Expansion will be at the site of Wet and Wild.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I would agree with this in many ways, I know Disney has more things in Pipeline that haven't been announce and similar universal is in a similar boat. I know uni starts zoning discussions concerning that 400+ acres that use to belong to Lockheed and I would be willing to be they start site prep the moment they get approval. I also think the next Uni Hotel after the Cabana Expansion will be at the site of Wet and Wild.
They'll wait for Volcano Bay to fully open, but yeah.

For those who don't have to pay for Disney, the advantage of staying at a Uni resort, is amazing. That said, their push to moderates without the privileges, not so much....we'll see how Cabana does.

Voxel

They are, they just refuse to flex that muscle with mediocrity.

We'll see what Avatarland comes out to be. The AK expansions have me the most excited.

(and, mind you, I hate Animal Kingdom, and I hate Avatar)
That's the problem, they won't fled their muscle to showcase what they can do. Uni will flex but they are behind. There is a ton of construction in Universal Future, they want 5k-7k rooms and the believe they can currently handle 10k with decent occupancy. The Nintendo deal used diagon as its basis size wise which non of the parks currently have enough space for building ;) (of which will we most likely get in Japan and Hollywood first). There is the supposed construction behind MIB. There are things happening
Disney side we have
Toy story(2018)
Star Wars (2019-2020)
Epcot v3 (2020 rumored)
Magic Kingdom E-ticket(2021 rumored)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
That's the problem, they won't fled their muscle to showcase what they can do. Uni will flex but they are behind. There is a ton of construction in Universal Future, they want 5k-7k rooms and the believe they can currently handle 10k with decent occupancy. The Nintendo deal used diagon as its basis size wise which non of the parks currently have enough space for building ;) (of which will we most likely get in Japan and Hollywood first). There is the supposed construction behind MIB. There are things happening
Disney side we have
Toy story(2018)
Star Wars (2019-2020)
Epcot v3 (2020 rumored)
Magic Kingdom E-ticket(2021 rumored)
It's a lot of building...but we'll see what it makes.

Not to get too spirited, but if it's lamentable and easily forgotten, but not mixed with a great guest experience, they are in trouble (not serious trouble mind you, they'll always own the market for the foreseeable future)...

That said, I enjoyed both my stays at Uni hotels more than Disney ones...on average. And you know where I've stayed at Disney, I'm not basing that on All Stars. I'm basing that on my retrospect of the parks experience combined with the resort one...

Disney has work to do.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I'll say Disney runs the risk of Universal of making a Disneyland...which is a vastly different experience (and far more relaxing than WDW)....

But, for now, they seem ok, as Universal seems intent on following the Disney "keep em on the property" concept for the time being, rather than entice them to the property...and, if they do that, they'll lose, and lose hard.

OvertheHorizon

The Hufflepuff House Proudly Presents...
In Association with The House Cup...
Impressions de Temps

Journey with us, as we travel through time to exotic places and outlandish events. A place where time stands still, but moves as fast as a bullet all at once. Where one can lose themselves in the rich stories of those who have lived in the past, present and future. Journey with us, as we experience Impressions de Temps.

This new land will open atDisneyland Park at Disneyland Paris in 2020, after a major overhaul and re-imagining of Discoveryland, the park's Jules Verne inspired land. Impressions de Temps (translated into English as Impression of Time) will transport guests into the magic of the fabric of time. Experience dazzling attractions, spectacular entertainment, diverse food and wonderful shopping.

Now, to explore more and dive into the wonderful world of time, visit:
http://hufflepuffdiscoveryland.weebly.com

@MonorailRed

englanddg

One Little Spark...
The Hufflepuff House Proudly Presents...
In Association with The House Cup...
Impressions de Temps

Journey with us, as we travel through time to exotic places and outlandish events. A place where time stands still, but moves as fast as a bullet all at once. Where one can lose themselves in the rich stories of those who have lived in the past, present and future. Journey with us, as we experience Impressions de Temps.

This new land will open atDisneyland Park at Disneyland Paris in 2020, after a major overhaul and re-imagining of Discoveryland, the park's Jules Verne inspired land. Impressions de Temps (translated into English as Impression of Time) will transport guests into the magic of the fabric of time. Experience dazzling attractions, spectacular entertainment, diverse food and wonderful shopping.

Now, to explore more and dive into the wonderful world of time, visit:
http://hufflepuffdiscoveryland.weebly.com

@MonorailRed
I thought this was the discussion thread?

Voxel

I'll say Disney runs the risk of Universal of making a Disneyland...which is a vastly different experience (and far more relaxing than WDW)....

But, for now, they seem ok, as Universal seems intent on following the Disney "keep em on the property" concept for the time being, rather than entice them to the property...and, if they do that, they'll lose, and lose hard.
It depends if they can keep the annual growth. That will be the question. They are approaching an interesting point where they will grow or they will stay stagnant no matter what they do. The water park and a 3rd gate will be interesting, however due to delays with the water park I believe they will delay announcement of the 3rd gate

tcool123

2016-06-21_05-22-40_zpst0xkhiss.jpg

You travel though a star field where the ancient one's voice can be heard telling Steven...

"Breathe ...let your soul take over...trust in your oneness"

All of a sudden the Star field around you begins to spin and you are thrust through different dimensions traveling at the speed of light. Your vehicles rotate around to see an audio animatronic figure of Dr strange traveling along side you as he stops the transition and the Star field evolves into a colorful landscape of pink and yellow.

Scene 2 - Reign of Fire

2016-06-21_05-22-31_zpsxxrcf3dk.jpg

Dr strange travels across this vast land and comes upon a large creature that stands in front of him. It is a gigantic AA...one of the largest ever created, that flings it's galactic tentacles at Dr strange you stops it with magic

This effect is is pretty spectacular as the effect of magic is seen stopping the arm before it hits your vehicle.

"We must traverse beyond...Dormammu has laid a trap"

Suddenly you are transported again and this time the vortex around you begins to shrink

Scene 3 The Quantum Realm
The quantum realm was first seen in ant man (2015) as the subatomic realm of the universe. As you shrink down you are trying to destroy the monster subatomically. Dr strange uses the eye of agamoto as it blasts the creature in a ball of flames.

Scene 4 Dormammu
The Dark lord of the dark dimension appears and taunts you and Dr strange by levitating things around your vehicle. The physical sets rising is also a spectacular effect to witness on the ride.

Scene 5 The Power of the Ancient One
At this point the ancient one arrives and battles Dormammu as you zoom away and watch from a far. The power of the ancient one is put on display as she overpowers Dormammu. However, Dormammu uses the time gem to zap everyone away before he is bested, and you are sent to the dark dimension.

Scene 6 the Dark Dimension
Rolling wormholes surround you as Dormammu rises from the darkness with an army of followers behind him.

It looks as if he will win, until...

Scene 7 Dr Strange vs Dormammu
2016-06-21_05-22-20_zpsxhatj6uo.jpg
I could just be imaging things, but I'm having a serious deja vu moment with these pictures? Have they been used before in a competition. I can't remember. :confused:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom