Trip Report The Holiday Humdinger *COMPLETED*

I can't believe the Summer of @Tuvalu is over! Is there going to be a holiday humdinger trip report?!!

I couldn’t disappoint a very expectant mama-to-be, now could I? Especially one who was kind enough to provide the title for this trip report!

So here you go, @krisri18......and anyone else who’d like to follow along on yet another Tuvalu WDW adventure, HOLIDAY STYLE.

I plan on posting live updates and will write an expanded report (“Part Tu” @Tony the Tigger 😊) once I return home. After all, what else will I have to do in December? 😉😂

Who: Tuvalu and Woody

56D313FD-2A11-4060-AB49-F55EC4FE0F82.jpeg

When: November 27 - December 3, 2018
Where: I shouldn’t even have to tell you. My 🎄go-to.

So be on the lookout for us, @DisneyShe, @slipperalwaysfits @mcstensrud. We’ve packed our sweaters and jeans for the chilly weekdays (highs only near 60, lows in the 40s ~ WTH??) and our shorts and tees for the unseasonably warm weekend (highs in the 80s). Yeah, that 30 degree temperature swing isn’t going to help the colds Woody and I are starting with.....

But we’re going to DISNEY WORLD!!!!

Pat Di

#Thankfulx2

View attachment 329008

Yes @93boomer there ARE a lot of people here!View attachment 329009
I am so glad to see another trip report!
#Thankfulx2

View attachment 329008

Yes @93boomer there ARE a lot of people here!View attachment 329009
I am so happy to see another @Tuvalu trip report. Thank you for this picture. It gives me a better idea of what that Hub expansion was all about - obviously needed for the crowds! Glad you had a good time in spite of them.:)

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
It was so nice running into you guys! I completely missed Em's shirt and now feel terrible that I didn't wish her a happy birthday - happy belated! My husband was so confused about who I was talking to, and I had to spend the next 20 minutes explaining to him how I "knew" y'all. Funny enough, once y'all moved rooms - I think you were almost directly above us at WL. Catching up on the rest of your trip now...
Yeah, I’ve had to do that same ‘splainin to a traveling companion when encountering a fellow forum member! :joyfull:
I’m surprised we didn’t run into each other at WL.
I like your avatar! Was your former avatar a headshot of you at MK? Cause now I recognize your user name.

We did, from the pathway, for a bit, check out @Longers trip report to see what happened and why I'm surprised you didn't see me.
We were seated in the theater about 4:50 pm on Sunday, maybe that’s why I missed you?

I am so glad to see another trip report!
I am so happy to see another @Tuvalu trip report. Thank you for this picture. It gives me a better idea of what that Hub expansion was all about - obviously needed for the crowds! Glad you had a good time in spite of them.:)
Thank you for reading, glad the picture helped.

John Stamos... oh my lordddd im so jealous!!
Cant wait for the full report!
Will you post it in here or create another thread? Ill have to keep my eyes peeled!
Em will always remember her 27th birthday as the day she “met” John Stamos. 😁
I plan to keep posting in this report, no need to look elsewhere.

disneyworlddad

Yeah, I’ve had to do that same ‘splainin to a traveling companion when encountering a fellow forum member! :joyfull:
I’m surprised we didn’t run into each other at WL.
I like your avatar! Was your former avatar a headshot of you at MK? Cause now I recognize your user name.

We were seated in the theater about 4:50 pm on Sunday, maybe that’s why I missed you?

Thank you for reading, glad the picture helped.

Em will always remember her 27th birthday as the day she “met” John Stamos. 😁
I plan to keep posting in this report, no need to look elsewhere.

We were there on Saturday! We did MK to start the day and headed to Epcot around 3 or 4. Back home on Sunday, just a day trip this time.

Big Hair

Finally caught up. I have been remiss in keeping up with the magic. Happy Birthday to Em, better late than never. Keep it coming.

susan lees

Can't believe I missed this till now! I've just binge read the whole 17 pages and thoroughly enjoyed. Looking forward to part tu. Thank you:)

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
PART “TU”

Apologies for taking awhile before beginning the unabridged version of this trip report. I have been living in a lethargic “fog” the last 2+ weeks, thanks to the longest-lasting cold I have ever battled. Although I am not yet fully recovered, I think I have finally moved out of the “pitiful hot mess” stage (but you’ll need to ask Woody for confirmation. 😉)

I even slept through the 4.4 mag earthquake that shook our area at 4:15 this morning.

Being sick on vacation was hard. I was determined to “power through” and for the most part I did....which is probably why I was bedridden for two days after returning home. But I loved (almost) every moment of our holiday extravaganza and am looking forward to sharing the full story.

C’mon everybody, here we go!

Tuesday, November 27, 2018

The timing worked out this year for a long holiday vacation instead of two short trips. For the last couple years Em and I have celebrated her birthday the first weekend of December; then I’ve returned with Woody for a few days later in the month, always booked with a Bounceback offer.

But the earliest Bounceback date for 2018 (with availability at Wilderness Lodge) was 12/19 ~ a little too close to Christmas for our liking. So I did the unthinkable.....I booked rack rate for the week after Thanksgiving, hoping a discount would pop up. (Spoiler alert: no pop) Em was able to secure time off, which meant she could spend another birthday at Disney.....this time with Woody too!

I jumped on cheap airfare when our dates were released. My brain has a way of “forgetting” the recent hassles we’ve had flying.....and the fact that flying doesn’t always mean “faster”. Exactly 24 hours before departure I checked in.....and was rewarded with boarding group B, 50 & 51. B means back of the plane, with a good probability of no two seats together. Woody wasn’t happy. He doesn’t understand why we don’t pay for Early Bird Check In.

Sure I’ll pay rack rate for a deluxe resort, but don’t ask me to spend $40 each way for Early Bird. That fee annoys me!!

And being we live in metro Atlanta we had to allow ourselves plenty of time to get to the airport on a weekday morning. We were treated with a gorgeous sunrise for our effort.

3691F3DA-1BF3-41B4-AF4C-7D813E528416.jpeg

It was 0 degrees Celsius (@amjt660) when we left for the airport and we wouldn’t be landing in Florida warmth, since Heat Miser had allowed Snow Miser to send a cold front to Orlando.

We had no traffic, and as I mentioned in the LIVE report I was tempted to tell Woody to bypass the airport exit and continue driving.

If only.

After 20 minutes in the TSA pre-check line we boarded the plane train for Concourse C. Then after another 20 minutes in line at Chick Fil A we were finally able to eat breakfast.

ADDADC76-33B6-45EE-8426-A829519693C2.jpeg

(Worth it, @Rista1313!)

We spent the next 2 hours sitting at our gate waiting on our plane (delayed due to de-icing in Pittsburgh.) Woody couldn’t believe how many wheelchair guests were waiting to board. He’s flown a lot and this was the most he’s ever seen.

3DD1B905-1AAA-4E7F-BEF9-6BD95410EB1D.jpeg

Woody and I were able to find two seats together at the back of the plane. The lady in the seat directly behind me gave herself a manicure during the flight (nothing like the smell of nail polish when crammed in close quarters) ~ all the while my feet had to be perched on the handle of her rolling bag, which she never bothered to retract when she stuffed it under my seat.

The joys of flying.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
I was so happy to be on the fonorail.

Woody?
C38E6FF0-F223-46DF-9E5C-F4EB2A7CE89E.jpeg

Front row seat!
47B9F5C0-6290-4606-A1B7-C935ED1B8E4B.jpeg

In the atrium I glanced over at the Hyatt. You may remember that Woody and I spent a night in the Hyatt last December, when our flight home was cancelled due to the massive power outage at the Atlanta airport.

F4ABED4E-AD5A-4B2D-B638-0D8DA67EE046.jpeg

Fun illumination on the tree. Can barely tell that the lights are, in fact, on.
88A0D6A7-DDC0-4751-9ABE-A17181457850.jpeg

This little guy made me smile.
7503A2BC-7555-46CE-826B-A40CE6BDD3BC.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Our original plan was to grab some lunch once we arrived at Wilderness Lodge. However since we’d landed late, we knew we (specifically me) would be hangry if we waited much longer.

This was our airport food strategy, @Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

5847D256-EE6B-40B4-9A79-51B78D2479C6.jpeg

We shared a medium Hook and Ladder ~ smoked turkey breast, Virginia honey ham and melted Monterey Jack. Firehouse makes a good sub and we’re partial to Miss Vickie’s kettle chips.

DB9BDC71-8737-458A-B72B-7C0E5FA71CCF.jpeg

It was just enough to satisfy us. Next stop, Disney’s Magical Express!

7627F501-AA8B-48C2-BEC1-456C425D2AEA.jpeg

Yikes.
D7486881-C01E-4CCF-8F98-3C71813C4104.jpeg

Good call to eat first. Can’t imagine navigating this on an empty stomach.

Are we on vacation yet?
32E39A65-E02D-4EAC-937D-D2DEB147B6FA.jpeg

Why yes, and we even have #ShirleyStatus!
5FB32506-9CE1-4B01-9640-98035F38DE4D.jpeg

Only we did not have a private coach for long. We sat on the bus for 25 long minutes as other guests boarded. The bright spot during our wait was the Happily Ever After promo video.

77757752-60A0-41E7-A605-3EE5091A847F.jpeg

1BC90FFF-21DE-4BA4-A33B-E73502F0421D.jpeg

Yes, I did sing along. Every word. No shame.

(But not loud enough to disturb anyone. Not even Woody. 😉)

krisri18

Our original plan was to grab some lunch once we arrived at Wilderness Lodge. However since we’d landed late, we knew we (specifically me) would be hangry if we waited much longer.

View attachment 332824

We shared a medium Hook and Ladder ~ smoked turkey breast, Virginia honey ham and melted Monterey Jack. Firehouse makes a good sub and we’re partial to Miss Vickie’s kettle chips.

View attachment 332825

It was just enough to satisfy us. Next stop, Disney’s Magical Express!

View attachment 332826

Yikes.
View attachment 332827

Good call to eat first. Can’t imagine navigating this on an empty stomach.

Are we on vacation yet?
View attachment 332829

Why yes, and we even have #ShirleyStatus!
View attachment 332828

Only we did not have a private coach for long. We sat on the bus for 25 long minutes as other guests boarded. The bright spot during our wait was the Happily Ever After promo video.

View attachment 332830

View attachment 332831

Yes, I did sing along. Every word. No shame.

(But not loud enough to disturb anyone. Not even Woody. 😉)
Nothing like a massive Magical Express line and then an excessive wait on the bus to start off your vacation. Lol

Rista1313

Thanks for starting this! I didn't want to do my actual work today.... I'd rather read your adventures!

Chick-fil-a is always worth it. This week I used my cow calendar free sandwich on mobile Monday, so I got another free be our guest sandwich card for another free sandwich.... and I still have 1 more be our guest breakfast sandwich card, when they kept me in the drive-thru too long... Can't complain about that... McDonalds isn't saying their sorry for keeping you in the drive-thru too long!

93boomer

Premium Member
@Tuvalu So glad you are finally on the mend. That was some nasty cold you caught! We do not fly, I would rather drive the 10 hours to get there rather than fight that mess in the airport.
That is a lot of wheelchairs for boarding! People should not do their manicures or pedicures on the plane! Eeewww.
So excited to read the rest of Tuvalu Part Tu. :)

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Omnia mutantur, nihil interit

Thanks! It it looks like you made a good call especially with those DME lines.

I think I’ll end up doing something similar. It might be a good way for me to get my yearly fix of Chick-fil-A and all of their delicious sauces. 😉

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom