The Hobbit at Disney?

WDWmazprty

Disney dropping the Narnia franchise left me pretty disappointed. I would have loved to see it somewhere in Fantasyland. I love the fairytale thing they're conjuring up there, but I think another classic like that would be a good response to Harry Potter. But hey, maybe not.

This. Yeah, I didn't like what Disney did with the franchise; it could've been something huge. I also don't want to see Universal get LOTR, especially since they already have HP.

lebeau

A LOTR world would be perfect competition to WWOHP.

Or a perfect companion piece.

If Disney refused to outbid Universal for HP, I can't see them bidding much for LotR/Hobbit which is probably an even more difficult fit for Disney.

I could possibly see Universal being interested at some point though...

BlueLightningTN

There are a lot of issues with the LotR properties and getting it into the parks, which is why I'm not aware of any work being done in that direction. First and foremost, the issue is even if you could get the rights for the franchise, where would you put it? It wouldn't mesh with MK, it certainly doesn't go with AK, Epcot's not about fantasy, and that leaves you with DHS. The only problem with DHS is that there is nowhere to logically place an area worthy of a LotR rights acquisition. At one point discussions were made about including it as a scene in The Great Movie Ride, but that's hardly worth the effort. Basically if it went in DHS, there would have to be a major expansion, and I don't see that happening, nor do I see that much space being given to a property that requries royalties of some kind on merch.

BL

Ignohippo

I'm a big LOTR fan, but I don't think they would translate well at all to theme park attractions or have nearly the appeal of Potter or Star Wars. Personally, I see LOTR as more of an adult thing than something that would appeal to kids or families. I know this will upset some folks, but I really don't see this as having a very wide appeal.

It may be a great fit for a land in Beastly Kingdom though if that were to ever happen. I don't think it would fit in any other theme park besides maybe DHS and I'd rather they concentrate on Pixar and Star Wars (and save room for Marvel) if there were to be an upcoming expansion.

muse1983

They weren't outbid for HP. They refused to give control to Rowling.

Which is really a shame...I have to admit that Universal did an amazing job but I feel that Disney could have done far more. I'm sure there would be an argument that they would have done far less merely judging by some of the budget cuts and lack of maintanence we have seen lately...but in my opinion they would have treated the franchise like gold and invested even more than Universal did.

But back to the original topic, I can never see the LOTR/Hobbit franchise being part of any kind of theme park but hey we can always dream.

danstadnik

I'm not claiming to know ANYTHING, but a 5th gate of things like LOTR, Marvel, more Lucas stuff, and the Disney villains would be a great fit for the teenagers and young adults crowd that Disney doesn't serve that well.

Ignohippo

I'm not claiming to know ANYTHING, but a 5th gate of things like LOTR, Marvel, more Lucas stuff, and the Disney villains would be a great fit for the teenagers and young adults crowd that Disney doesn't serve that well.

Yeah, and they could name it "Disney's Hollywood Studios."

wizards8507

There are no two concepts that go together less than Lord of the Rings with Marvel.

danstadnik

There are no two concepts that go together less than Lord of the Rings with Marvel.

Oh, I could think of a lot... Even ones that are already in WDW. If we weren't all used to the Disneyland model, people would think it was crazy that spaceships, cowboys, and princesses would all share a park with elephants and a big headed mouse.
I think if the Imagineers were given free rein with licenses and budgets they could make a killer park that most kids under the age of 12 would be scared of and would be tons of fun for the rest of us.

wizards8507

Oh, I could think of a lot... Even ones that are already in WDW. If we weren't all used to the Disneyland model, people would think it was crazy that spaceships, cowboys, and princesses would all share a park with elephants and a big headed mouse.

Touche.

I think if the Imagineers were given free rein with licenses and budgets they could make a killer park that most kids under the age of 12 would be scared of and would be tons of fun for the rest of us.

Ha, that made me lol.

disfan99

How about a LotR darkride where you enter a forest and have to outrun angry Huorns? :lookaroun

Crockett

Banned
Don't get me wrong, I love WDW. But I would see LOTR fitting in more at IOA with the HP style of themed setting. The only place on Disney property a LOTR theme would fit in would be *possibly* DHS as a movie adventure.

popsicletrees

He didn't like how Walt altered the Brothers Grim tales. Tolkien was rather passionate about that. xD

When I first read Tolkien's quote I was a little surprised, but it makes sense because he even had a problem with his dear friend's Narnia creation because it was a smorgasbord of mythologies. He thought Lewis was haphazard in the creation of his world, and Tolkien took his own creation seriously. He also did not like Lewis' logical inconsistencies with his fantasy. For instance, talking beavers using a sewing machine. So, he has reason to think based on his thoughts with the Brother Grimm tales that Disney would not. Now, I truly think that Disney would give LOTR justice if it ever was in the parks, but Tolkien might not agree.

That being said I have great respect for both authors (and Disney obviously). As much as I would love to see something LOTR in the parks, I understand and respect why Tolkien would not have that same view. With that, Tolkien would probably have a problem with it being included in IOA as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom