The Haunted Mansion's Hat Box Ghost...?

juan

Actually the Hat Box Ghost never appeared in the mansion since the effect didn't work properly. It was in storage for a while in the 60's until it vanished and they have no clue where it went.

According to The Haunted Mansion: From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies:
"Although the Hatbox Ghost appeared during Cast Member previews and possibly even a soft opening to the general public, the figure was removed before the attraction's official debut, never to be seen again."

Otis T. Wren

Yea thr streching room is better in WDW as well. In DL the floor moves down as the cieling moves up but it makes you feel like you are simply in an elevator imo ruining the effect.

Well, it if wasn't for the fact that DL didn't have enough land to build the ride ground level, WDW wouldn't have it either. But it works either way. I think both work fine.

raven

Well, it if wasn't for the fact that DL didn't have enough land to build the ride ground level, WDW wouldn't have it either. But it works either way. I think both work fine.

Originally there was plenty of room on ground level. The elevator was built to take guests under the railroad to the show building. Same goes for Pirates and Splash and Space Mountain at WDW.

EPCOT Explorer

Original Poster
"Although the Hatbox Ghost appeared during Cast Member previews and possibly even a soft opening to the general public, the figure was removed before the attraction's official debut, never to be seen again."

I read that book everytime I am in B/N. Must get it one of these days. :lol:

RSoxNo1

Prior to WDW's refurbishment, I liked Disneyland's Haunted Mansion better, now it's not even close. As was said before, the WDW's Haunted Mansion has more items linked into the ride.

The portraits and marble busts featured in the queue in Disneyland make their queue more interesting, but the ride, and stretching room in WDW are far superior.

The only advantage of having the marble busts as part of the queue (as they are in Disneyland), is you get a better grasp of the effect of them following you.

Expo_Seeker40

A question for you all :wave:

When I was a little fanboy, my only experience with the HM was watching the Disneyland sing a long tapes, and I thought going to the MK, I would see the southern antebellum home facade that Disneyland has, but when I saw a tudor-style home, I hated it.

And yet it grew on me....but what grew on me even more was how the MK's HM started out like DL's in the sense that the outside was kept up nicely as Walt wished, and the inside was maintained by the ghosts.

In the late 80s or early 90s the trees grew, but were allowed to overgrown, and the landscapes artists made the grounds look dilapidated.

So....which do you prefer? Disneyland's HM with it's maintained grounds or the "spooky" grounds of MK's HM?

EPCOT Explorer

Original Poster
A question for you all :wave:

When I was a little fanboy, my only experience with the HM was watching the Disneyland sing a long tapes, and I thought going to the MK, I would see the southern antebellum home facade that Disneyland has, but when I saw a tudor-style home, I hated it.

And yet it grew on me....but what grew on me even more was how the MK's HM started out like DL's in the sense that the outside was kept up nicely as Walt wished, and the inside was maintained by the ghosts.

In the late 80s or early 90s the trees grew, but were allowed to overgrown, and the landscapes artists made the grounds look dilapidated.

So....which do you prefer? Disneyland's HM with it's maintained grounds or the "spooky" grounds of MK's HM?

Spooky. By far.

Even though Walt intended for Disneyland's to be kept clean (on the outside) the whole vibe of that corner of Liberty Square is priceless. The colonial, patriotic music gets quieter...the "wind" picks up...the Mansion looms overhead. It's one of the best illusions. It feels real. It works.

DL, though, is the original, and I have to say that what they have is better for their park. Disneyland's "clean" exterior looks great (from pics. ) in the quaint charm on NOS.

But a clean Mansion in LS!? Never. :lol: Ours fits the area so well.

Lee

Adventurer
Yeah, it's somewhat dependent on location.
But overall.....DL's without a doubt.
New Orleans Square > Liberty Square, and the Mansion fits perfectly. it's gorgeous.

Remember that guy that built his house as a replica for DL's Mansion? Love that.

DDBB

Does anyone know why they designed the MK mansion facade the way they did? It always seemed strange to me that we don't enter the mansion through the front door and use that random side entrance.

Also, has anyone noticed that the facade looks fake when you get up close to it? The green sunroom/gazebo area (I'm not sure what to call it) seems like it is painted on and is clearly not made of glass. Also, the facade doesn't look like it was built in full scale. Something definitely seems off when you look at the stairs leading up to the front door up close (as close as you can get to it). Am I the only one that noticed this?

Please don't think I'm trying to bash the mansion. I'm just wondering why they didn't build a full scale facade where you enter through the front door. They certainly had the space for it.

HMF

That is not true ' the Hatbox Ghost did appear for a short time after the official opening. He was not there on opening day but was added back later that week. He was then removed again permanently.

EPCOT Explorer

Original Poster
Does anyone know why they designed the MK mansion facade the way they did? It always seemed strange to me that we don't enter the mansion through the front door and use that random side entrance.

Also, has anyone noticed that the facade looks fake when you get up close to it? The green sunroom/gazebo area (I'm not sure what to call it) seems like it is painted on and is clearly not made of glass. Also, the facade doesn't look like it was built in full scale. Something definitely seems off when you look at the stairs leading up to the front door up close (as close as you can get to it). Am I the only one that noticed this?

Please don't think I'm trying to bash the mansion. I'm just wondering why they didn't build a full scale facade where you enter through the front door. They certainly had the space for it.

I *think* that it's a obscure reference to the obscure story of you entering the servants entrance, because you, in the obscure story, are touring the house before you work there.

Or before you buy the place. You might be an obscure buyer.

I hate HM sometimes. :lol: Tell us what's going on! :lol:

And no, the facade never looks fake. Not even after they brightened it up.

cdunbar

I *think* that it's a obscure reference to the obscure story of you entering the servants entrance, because you, in the obscure story, are touring the house before you work there.

HUH, never knew that...

WDW Vacationer

I think part of the mystery of HM is using your imagination to create part of the story,even if it is a little part like why you are there,almost makes it more eerie.

Like the new sig quote.;)

Now, on coast vs. coast facdes:

DL, being a little less secluded,almost seems like a mansion still used,but haunted inside(if you can understand that). That is where the clean fcade comes in.

WDW seems more like an abandoned colonial mansion set up on the hill with the trees,much more ominous and spooky,my favorite if the two.

EPCOT Explorer

Original Poster
That's what makes HM, BTM, Space Mountain, JC, and formerly POTC so great. They're your adventure. You can make up the story since they don't beat you over the head with one.:D

I think part of the mystery of HM is using your imagination to create part of the story,even if it is a little part like why you are there,almost makes it more eerie.

Like the new sig quote.;)

Now, on coast vs. coast facdes:

DL, being a little less secluded,almost seems like a mansion still used,but haunted inside(if you can understand that). That is where the clean fcade comes in.

WDW seems more like an abandoned colonial mansion set up on the hill with the trees,much more ominous and spooky,my favorite if the two.

I know about Imagination, and all. I love it too. I just want to know what they REALLY want us to think, though! :lol:

It's the OCD Explorer in me...:lookaroun:lol:

Tyler...Good reasoning on the facades.

WDW Vacationer

I know about Imagination, and all. I love it too. I just want to know what they REALLY want us to think, though! :lol:

It's the OCD Explorer in me...:lookaroun:lol:

Tyler...Good reasoning on the facades.

I like the servant idea though,never heard of that one. The ghost host hosting a tour of the mansion....could be OK....

Thanks.

Expo_Seeker40

Why does John only talk to us in the CoP? :lookaroun

What if the invisible oxygen bubble breaks on our space mtn vehicle? :eek:

Why did Pooh kill Toad and then burry him at the Gracey Estate? :zipit:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom