The Hall of Presidents to reopen before Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Hmmmm.......With him being a public figure, maybe he has no say anyway?

Well, I dont know about the legal aspects of this. However, know how the President is EXTREMELY keen on licensing his name to other companies around the world. I suspect he demanded an "escape" clause in the contract that allows him to back out if he changes his mind at ANY time.

Control over name and image is for when he was a private citizen. Once he chose to run for office and even more so with becoming president, all bets are off. Unless the portrayal of him is intentionally and seriously false*, anyone can make 'puppets' of any president and have them say and do almost anything.

Disney can have a Trump AA and have a vocal imitator give a speech he never gave nor approved of... if it's not intentional falsehood.*

*Making your 'puppet' say untrue things is allowed if it is satire or parody.

AEfx

I really hope you are right that pro-whatever or anti-whatever protesters, activists and other people with bad intentions are too poor to afford a Disney ticket.

However, I believe that overly-passionate, politically activist minded people on any side come in all income brackets.

CT

Most of the ones I know are actually upper-middle class. And really, even if they weren't - a bus ticket to Orlando and a day's admission to WDW is not prohibitively expensive. I've just seen too much to not know that this is what is going to happen. And we will be watching the cell phone videos on CNN.

AEfx

It's the NOT actual "talking robot" that people will fight over. This has nothing to do with Disney either. People are going to fight and argue about the "symbolic figure" in front of them. They are going to use the public nature of the "occasion" to voice themselves one way or the other. If this was a private statue in an unknown alleyway somewhere, nobody would care. Unfortunately, this is a symbolic (talking) statue in one of the most globally prominent destinations presented by the largest media company in the world.

This is an opportunity for some people to make a name for themselves and be seen/heard around the world....causing whatever drama they can create. It's a "I have a message for everyone watching" type mentality.

Let's see if people can even tolerate the political shirts and hats that people will bring....

I can just see a "pro" and "anti" person with their shirts on display pressed up against each other waiting to get in. And heaven forbid if they wind up sitting next to each other during the speech.

CT

I wish we didn't just have "likes" but points to assign, because if we did, I'd be giving you a week's worth. This is exactly what is going to happen.

I'm actually guessing they will open it quietly, not make some big announcement. Some day, they will open the MK and the attraction will just be running. So if that happens, I'm sure we will get folks saying "see, you guys were crazy". Then...give it a week. It will spread like wildfire.

AEfx

I didn't assume that all of anyone does anything. As a wise man once said:

You will have to forgive us - there are many of us who happen to be "G" who are told on a daily basis what we are supposed to think about everything, or have people speaking on our behalf, which is why personally I refuse to use that acronym, period.

Frizzball

I honestly doubt a statistically relevant number of people will turn up wanting to use it to protest, if anything it will just be normal people who didn't intend to say anything accidentally vocalising a thought or sound that should have stayed internal and then arguments starting because of that. Have you ever accidentally tutted or laughed derisively when listening to a political figure you disagree with? Because I know I absolutely have.

Will some people turn up ready to fight? Absolutely, but it won't be many and if there are it'll die off pretty quickly.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I honestly doubt a statistically relevant number of people will turn up wanting to use it to protest, if anything it will just be normal people who didn't intend to say anything accidentally vocalising a thought or sound that should have stayed internal and then arguments starting because of that. Have you ever accidentally tutted or laughed derisively when listening to a political figure you disagree with? Because I know I absolutely have.

Will some people turn up ready to fight? Absolutely, but it won't be many and if there are it'll die off pretty quickly.
They ban a couple people for life and that crap will stop pronto.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I wish we didn't just have "likes" but points to assign, because if we did, I'd be giving you a week's worth. This is exactly what is going to happen.

I'm actually guessing they will open it quietly, not make some big announcement. Some day, they will open the MK and the attraction will just be running. So if that happens, I'm sure we will get folks saying "see, you guys were crazy". Then...give it a week. It will spread like wildfire.

5 points House Slytherin !

Last edited:

Cliff

OK,...next NEW question....

Will Disney "profile" and single out guests to watch "extra" carefully? Will Disney look for political statements on hats and shirts....and we ALL know what these clothes look like......and "specifically" watch these people like a hawk?

It can be argued that they already do this today but I can see Disney doubling the security staff count for the first month this thing is open. If you are going to the Hall of Presidents with a strong political shirt, they are going to start watch you from the turn styles.

If you are Disney,..."WHO" are the type of people are you looking for? What do they "LOOK" like? "WHO" is likely to cause trouble and "WHO" is not? How do you visually profile radicals on either side?

Also,...You guys do realize that the President can blow this attraction up with one or a series of nasty Tweets at any moment. He might like it today but if ABC News says something that angers him, only God knows what he could Tweet about the Hall of Presidents.

CT

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Any hint if he has recorded yet? I would be surprised if he did and didn't tweet about it.
He had to have recorded the audio by now and probably a while ago if this thing is opening soon. It’s not just audio that plays over the show the AA needs to be synced up to the audio. It would take some lead time to setup.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
OK,...next NEW question....

Will Disney "profile" and single out guests to watch "extra" carefully? Will Disney look for political statements on hats and shirts....and we ALL know what these clothes look like......and "specifically" watch these people like a hawk?

It can be argued that they already do this today but I can see Disney doubling the security staff count for the first month this thing is open. If you are going to the Hall of Presidents with a strong political shirt, they are going to start watch you from the turn styles.

If you are Disney,..."WHO" are the type of people are you looking for? What do they "LOOK" like? "WHO" is likely to cause trouble and "WHO" is not? How do you visually profile radicals on either side?

Also,...You guys do realize that the President can blow this attraction up with one or a series of nasty Tweets at any moment. He might like it today but if ABC News says something that angers him, only God knows what he could Tweet about the Hall of Presidents.

CT
I think you are overthinking this. If someone disrupts the show they will probably be asked to leave. That’s likely the extent of a security plan. Now if Disney got wind of a planned organized protest then they may take action to prevent that but I think it’s highly unlikely.

Who cares about his tweets. The vast majority of people visiting WDW won’t change their plans based on a tweet. If a small group decide to then that’s their right. Shorter lines for everyone else.

JohnD

Generally speaking,...(and I really mean this). I think it goes without saying that this could be a highly controversial attraction. We all know this and it's no secret. Politics aside, I wonder what Disney's plans are in dealing with overly "passionate" guests on either side. I think this attraction is a celebration of the history of America and the institution of the Executive branch. Again,...politics aside, I hope guests will see it in a "neutral" way. The Hall of Presidents has never been about promoting one side or the other. I suspect that Disney is also going to be watching guest reaction very, VERY closely in the next few months too. I mean watching like a hawk. I would guess that they have installed extra cameras around the inside of the theater to keep a close eye on the audience. Wow,....this is fascinating from a "guest management" perspective. This is going to challenge Disney cast members and security.

Why would it be controversial? It's simply the next President.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom