The Hall of Presidents to reopen before Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

EPCOTCenterLover

Last year, I went to BOTH Trump's and Hillary's rallies. I saw plenty of "normal" people at both....but I also gotta say that I saw MANY weird and scary, overly zealous, crazy people in BOTH events too! And,...of these people, we wouldn't want to see any of "these" folks at HoP...lemme tell you.

Thank you, @Cliff, for your very honest and fair comments. I am sick of some folks from both sides making rash generalizations about those on the other. It has made American politics disgusting- and it has helped divide a country we should all love and care about.

DisAl

This automatic system is not happening. Not sure where that is coming from but I’m not buying it at all. These aren’t indirect fire attacks that are going to be knocked down by a phalanx or C-RAMS. We are talking about mentally disturbed people trying to deface robots to fulfill some delusional fantasy. You need security for the first month trespassing anyone that cannot act right (beyond speech) in public. Kick every single one of them out and ban them. Make a nice little public walk of shame for them and in a few weeks the crazies will tighten their stuff up.
I don't think an automated system would be practical for safety reasons. I can just see some jerk getting decapitated by an auto deploy screen..... And then his family would sue.
The simplest solution is if you don't like one of the present OR past presidents, just don't go in. It's not like they can hear you, and the others who came to see the presentation frankly don't give a rip what you think.
And while they are at it let's throw out the line jumpers at ANY attraction for the rest of the day.

AEfx

All kidding aside, do you guys really think Disney would build an automated system to detect flying objects and deploy some sort of defense?

Absolutely. It's the only solution. It's also not as impractical as some are making it sound. You realize there are invisible barriers all around the attractions, already, right? Intrusion detection? It's a pretty simple concept - an invisible light barrier, light on one side, sensors on the other, something interrupts between light and sensor, bam, alarm triggered? I mean, even the rudimentary Fantasyland rides have this.

In this case instead of automatically stopping the ride when triggered, it would deploy a screen. It's not science fiction. The only thing I think would be the challenge is getting a screen that deployed that quickly - but certainly not a crazy thing for Disney to do in order to protect millions of dollars in animatronics.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Absolutely. It's the only solution. It's also not as impractical as some are making it sound. You realize there are invisible barriers all around the attractions, already, right? Intrusion detection? It's a pretty simple concept - an invisible light barrier, light on one side, sensors on the other, something interrupts between light and sensor, bam, alarm triggered? I mean, even the rudimentary Fantasyland rides have this.

In this case instead of automatically stopping the ride when triggered, it would deploy a screen. It's not science fiction. The only thing I think would be the challenge is getting a screen that deployed that quickly - but certainly not a crazy thing for Disney to do in order to protect millions of dollars in animatronics.
For stopping the show and/or triggering an alarm it’s pretty simple. Person or object crosses light beam and alarm is triggered. That system is not intending to stop someone from entering an area it’s alerting the authorities of an intruder and stopping the ride for safety. If the intent is to deploy a shield or barrier to actually stop a projectile this wouldn’t work. Once the object or person crosses the barrier it’s too late for the shield to stop it. The damage is done.

If you had a really fast moving screen and it was setup far enough away from the sensors I guess it could in theory have enough time to deploy but that’s a lot more high tech than just an alarm and you have an added set of safety risks with a high speed barrier. If it malfunctions or is accidentally triggered by a CM doing maintenance it could be dangerous.

I’ll believe it when I see it.:)

AEfx

For stopping the show and/or triggering an alarm it’s pretty simple. Person or object crosses light beam and alarm is triggered. That system is not intending to stop someone from entering an area it’s alerting the authorities of an intruder and stopping the ride for safety. If the intent is to deploy a shield or barrier to actually stop a projectile this wouldn’t work. Once the object or person crosses the barrier it’s too late for the shield to stop it. The damage is done.

If you had a really fast moving screen and it was setup far enough away from the sensors I guess it could in theory have enough time to deploy but that’s a lot more high tech than just an alarm and you have an added set of safety risks with a high speed barrier. If it malfunctions or is accidentally triggered by a CM doing maintenance it could be dangerous.

Clearly, the barrier would be before the shield...and be a more complex system than the existing intrusion devices which shut down attractions (most automatically). You just made it sound like it was some weird impossibility, when the basic technology has already been in use in the parks for decades. The person who posted it said "cause to be deployed" which to me means a cast member wouldn't be involved.

Well, I'm going to go with Martin's assessment, and he said he was a possibility, he just hasn't confirmed what has been done yet, so I'm gonna go with him. It's really not as crazy as you seem to think. To think these types of systems have not been developed in a post-9/11 world would be a bit unrealistic.

Rowlet

I plan to kill two birds with one stone. In protest of being forced to pay $6 for a pretzel including plastic cheese I don’t want, I will throw said cheese at my least favorite POTUS.

Irrelevant to the thread but, you can get the pretzel sans cheese and not be charged for the cheese. :)

FoozieBear

Hope this doesn't start anything political, but part of me wonders if Disney is holding off to ensure that Trump is happy with the figure/show before debuting it. Yesterday was a great example of why Disney might be afraid to debut it, as Eric Trump blamed Disney for something their subsidiary, ABC News said, and Trump himself has been critical of another Disney company, ESPN.

Not to start a political discussion, but could it be that Disney is holding off in order to somehow combat any negative feedback from the President?

Incomudro

Yeah, we would be talking airbag deployment speeds here.
It's not practical.

discos

I wonder if when the attraction opens they'll implement a strict no cameras/recoding policy. This could at least have a better chance of keeping it all out of the media

HMF

I wonder if when the attraction opens they'll implement a strict no cameras/recoding policy. This could at least have a better chance of keeping it all out of the media
If not I predict someone overdubbing the Billy Bush Audio with the animatronic on youtube by the first night.

21stamps

Exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom