News The Hall of Presidents is now open

WDW Monorail

A friend of mine just showed me a close up of the President Trump’s animatronic face and I thought it looked quite good. Maybe slightly more aged in appearance but 97% accurate i think. I searched for a close up picture of the previous guy who was frint and center and matbe it was that particular facial expression but his face did not look very good at all compared to the new face.

JohnD

A friend of mine just showed me a close up of the President Trump’s animatronic face and I thought it looked quite good. Maybe slightly more aged in appearance but 97% accurate i think. I searched for a close up picture of the previous guy who was frint and center and matbe it was that particular facial expression but his face did not look very good at all compared to the new face.

Very true. Comedians right now can't wait to make fun of the new Trump AA. But the Obama AA isn't much better.

FerretAfros

Doesn't look like these 'spikes' would slow anyone down. I think they're more decorative than anything else.
More than anything, this looks like a continuation of Disney's ongoing crusade against flat-ish areas on bridges and ledges where people could potentially injure themselves if they sat and fell off. For several years, they've been installing (questionably) "decorative" elements to railings and walls to let people lean but not sit on them. Here are some examples throughout the parks:
International Gateway bridge:
epcot-bridge-12.jpg

Mexico bridge:
Mexico%2065.jpg

Pointy railings surrounding the planters in DCA's World of Color viewing area (note that these were entirely new fences, not additions to existing rails/walls as in the other examples)
IMG_4525.jpg

Paradise Pier bridge:
i-LfKVvBC-S.jpg

And perhaps the most egregious of all, DL's Sleeping Beauty Castle bridge:
10-06-14-DSC_3412.jpg

As far as I'm aware, there is no history of anybody ever attempting to storm the stage at the Hall of Presidents, so there's really no reason to think that would change. Similarly, the design really wouldn't do anything to stop people from charging if they were so inclined. This just appears to be another location where Disney's lawyers don't want you to sit on the wall, and nothing more

RSoxNo1

Please delete if people think this is inappropriate. I have two pages devoted to this on my site:

Attraction page: http://wdwthemeparks.com/details/magic-kingdom/liberty-square/the-hall-of-presidents
Attraction script: http://wdwthemeparks.com/details/ma...all-of-presidents/the-hall-of-presidents-2017

The Attraction page also includes a 4K 360 degree show video, which for this show is helpful. The script has citations for each of the speeches featured in the attraction (with the exception of one FDR excerpt that I wasn't able to identify). It was kind of a fun process to work through yesterday.

If you're lazy like me, here's a direct link to the 360 degree video:

beachlover4444

After watching it through twice I have a few thoughts. What the narrator says is deliberate, intentional and thoughtful. The content was purposeful. When they raise the curtain to reveal the presidents, he seems very alone, the worst likeness ever. As they say the name and each president looks toward the next named person he is playing with his fingers looking aloof. I’d of mind his speaking part. The viewing I saw didn’t show the awkward movements near the end. He looked old, the suit doesn’t fit well, his hands r huge. Seth Myers had a funny bit on his show about it.

HauntedMansionFLA

Please delete if people think this is inappropriate. I have two pages devoted to this on my site:

Attraction page: http://wdwthemeparks.com/details/magic-kingdom/liberty-square/the-hall-of-presidents
Attraction script: http://wdwthemeparks.com/details/ma...all-of-presidents/the-hall-of-presidents-2017

The Attraction page also includes a 4K 360 degree show video, which for this show is helpful. The script has citations for each of the speeches featured in the attraction (with the exception of one FDR excerpt that I wasn't able to identify). It was kind of a fun process to work through yesterday.

If you're lazy like me, here's a direct link to the 360 degree video:

Awesome. Thanks. I look forward to visit this attraction the first of the year.

flynnibus

Premium Member
So... here's my take on the AA figure.

I think the problem is 90% the eyes.

If you look at the profile view... it's pretty good
Hall-of-Presidents_Full_31876.jpg

The problem is when you look at the figure head on. Two things really stand out..
1) The deep eye sockets. While Trump does have the feature, the eyebrows seem to crowd it more and you see less of the recess at the top of the eye.
2) The eyes don't feel as squinty as you normally perceive him to have

Screen Shot 2017-12-20 at 9.02.52 PM.png

Here, you see the upper eye socket appears nearly flat or filled in. You don't get the IMPRESSION of deep recesses

Screen Shot 2017-12-20 at 8.45.50 PM.png

Here, you see the eye sockets appearing even fuller. The makeup and facial don't give the IMPRESSION that his sockets are deep at all.. and his eye openings appear very horizontal vs round.

And here is an image that actually looks the closest to the AA figure..
Screen Shot 2017-12-20 at 9.02.40 PM.png

Here you can see the shadows making his eye sockets appear more pronounced.. and his upper eyelids are very 'heavy' and pronounced. The bags under his eyes are noticeable

Now lets go back to the Disney AA
Screen Shot 2017-12-20 at 8.44.21 PM.png

Notice.. the lack of heavy, visible upper eyelids. Notice the eye sockets appear more pronounced due to the shadows of the eye brow. This big eye stuff also makes the face appear 'squished' vertically compared to what we normally percieve his face to look like.. because normally his eyes are less pronounced vs his brow and forehead. But here, the eyes are large... and more pronounced.

I would imagine given the high articulation of the brow, and eyelids... the proportions and spacing in this area is very constrained by the mechanical design. I bet they have less creative control in this space and instead may be working with fixed locations for eyes vs mouth and offsets for depth or shallow.

I think Trump's normal use of heavy makeup also contributes to this where his face looks very FLAT under TV lighting conditions... where the stage lighting seems to exaggerate the shadow under his brow.

I think fixing the brow and upper eyelids is the key to making the face look more true to public perception of him.

UCF

While the presidents are being announced, Trump doesn't seem to be looking at the one currently being mentioned, like every other president there. That needs to be fixed.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
I think the real problem is that Disney and WDI, for better or worse, just didn't have any input from Trump or his team. In this day of amazing 3-D scanning and very accurate motion capture to have something this sketchy is just embarrassing.

Then again this is the same company that thinks their largest animatronic is just fine with a strobe light on it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom