The General Gardening Thread

Willmark

Original Poster

Figgy1

Premium Member
It's still early here but so far so good. All the heavy work is done, all the seeds I've planted have sprouted and then some:joyfull: I'm going to have to do some thinning Sunday or Monday and I only had one tiny crack in a nail overlay. Now I'm hoping the temperatures for Sunday and Monday will revise upward or I may have to cover some of my plants

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
:cool:
So here are a few picks.
I live in Chicago, so my space is limited.
The third picture shows the alley that I would like to block with those corrugated planters that I posted a few days ago.
Still have a few thing to do: a little mulch, paint Calvin and Hobbes, plant my pyramid garden.
View attachment 473226

WOW you really have made such good use of your limited space, it is indeed inspiring as my backyard is also rather small, and I like how you still have a bit of grass to mow! my backyard grass is half clover etc but I never have to water it, stays green and DH cuts it short often to appease his grass obsession that is our front yard!!! :D

LOVE Calvin and Hobbes and it was rather fun to seek them out in your pictures.....this one has always been a favorite....:D
Calvin and Hobbes by Bill Watterson for October 29, 1987 | Calvin ...

I have been thinking on your alley blockage.....and think Joe Pye would work good but of course would only disguise part of the year, and maybe if you got some open grid trellis panels to mimic your other gridwork paneling, you could grow flower vines up in summer and still have some vertical interest and camouflage for garbage cans rest of the year. I order starters from Select Seeds for black eye susan vines that go to town as I mentioned prior for total blockage/privacy and allows for things in front to showcase as well. I have a rectangular planter on side of house by door with a grid and makes nice statement(this is not mine) but looks like this by mid June and soon after is covered to top of trellis looking for more room for rest of summer into fall blooming. So you can pick the height of trellis for a wall and give haircut along top when it gets gangly up there and still have wall of blooms below. You often see these in already grown pots and too hard to reroute, but the starters I get from mail are like 8 -10 inches tall single vine ready to train, and in a couple weeks it already has 7 or more offshoots crawling upwards and getting more flowers. Lots of colors too nowdays!!!

Black-Eyed Susan Vines aka Heaven On Earth

Please share your solution and especially your refurbed Calvin and Hobbes!!! I really like all your garden jewelry too....awful fond of that teacup on a rod!!!:cool: Very beautiful gardens and interest...…👍 THANKS FOR SHARING!!!

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
It's still early here but so far so good. All the heavy work is done, all the seeds I've planted have sprouted and then some:joyfull: I'm going to have to do some thinning Sunday or Monday and I only had one tiny crack in a nail overlay. Now I'm hoping the temperatures for Sunday and Monday will revise upward or I may have to cover some of my plants

Ha I thought of you as I ordered a large amount of additional mulch yesterday.....so much for just filling in vacancies....the newer mulch was exactly what I have been looking for in the past sometimes getting for free, but as you know it is much easier to obtain in bags and to get a few more bags if needed like you did, vs getting a pile dumped in driveway.....I just couldn't help myself.....:rolleyes: Getting outside to play in the dirt is essential for the soul......and THANK GOD it rained about an inch last night, as its supposed to be like 89 today and has not rained in about 10 days prior. Off to grocery curbside and food management......hope everyone here had a good weekend to be in yard, it was wonderfully cool here and thankful to work outside all weekend in that!!!!;)

Looking forward to Willmark's photo spread update!!! :happy:

Ricky Spanish

:cool:

WOW you really have made such good use of your limited space, it is indeed inspiring as my backyard is also rather small, and I like how you still have a bit of grass to mow! my backyard grass is half clover etc but I never have to water it, stays green and DH cuts it short often to appease his grass obsession that is our front yard!!! :D

LOVE Calvin and Hobbes and it was rather fun to seek them out in your pictures.....this one has always been a favorite....:D
Calvin and Hobbes by Bill Watterson for October 29, 1987 | Calvin ...

I have been thinking on your alley blockage.....and think Joe Pye would work good but of course would only disguise part of the year, and maybe if you got some open grid trellis panels to mimic your other gridwork paneling, you could grow flower vines up in summer and still have some vertical interest and camouflage for garbage cans rest of the year. I order starters from Select Seeds for black eye susan vines that go to town as I mentioned prior for total blockage/privacy and allows for things in front to showcase as well. I have a rectangular planter on side of house by door with a grid and makes nice statement(this is not mine) but looks like this by mid June and soon after is covered to top of trellis looking for more room for rest of summer into fall blooming. So you can pick the height of trellis for a wall and give haircut along top when it gets gangly up there and still have wall of blooms below. You often see these in already grown pots and too hard to reroute, but the starters I get from mail are like 8 -10 inches tall single vine ready to train, and in a couple weeks it already has 7 or more offshoots crawling upwards and getting more flowers. Lots of colors too nowdays!!!

Black-Eyed Susan Vines aka Heaven On Earth

Please share your solution and especially your refurbed Calvin and Hobbes!!! I really like all your garden jewelry too....awful fond of that teacup on a rod!!!:cool: Very beautiful gardens and interest...…👍 THANKS FOR SHARING!!!
Thanks.
Gonna look into those black eyed Susan vines.
I made the tea cup bird feeder, was selling them at our local flea market for $5.
I bought a bunch of tea cups at Goodwill and estate sales.
I just used epoxy to glue them together and put them on 1/2” conduit.
I will post more pics soon.

And this was our wedding invitation.
Calvin and Hobbes Comic Strip for August 29, 1987

Last edited:

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Thanks.
Gonna look into those black eyed Susan vines.
I made the tea cup bird feeder, was selling them at our local flea market for $5.
I bought a bunch of tea cups at Goodwill and estate sales.
I just used epoxy to glue them together and put them on 1/2” conduit.
I will post more pics soon.

Great something to look forward too....cool you sold those at flea market....reminds me of the plate flowers a bit I got at my local one...but the bird feeder thing makes it functional art! :D Win win!!

https://www.selectseeds.com/Search/black eyed susan vine alba.aspx

Some of the colors are missing.....white alba I got this year, I even saw a purple ones once....Looks like they are sold out but has an email option to notitfy when available....you could start from seed but getting bit late for that.....maybe email to see if they actually are growing some more......their packing is awesome!!!

Hope things are calm in your neck of Chicago......;).

Ricky Spanish

New pics.
1st pic. Radishes, carrots, green beans, tomatoes, sugar snap peas.
My planters need work, nothing planted yet.
2nd pic. Tomatoes, yellow and red peppers, celery, green beans, jalapeños, cucumbers, summer squash.
It’s planted close together, but it works.
3rd pic. Black eyed Susan’s, phlox, lantana, “grape” coral bells.
4th pic. Double knock out roses, hosta, dragons blood sedum.
.530DDD29-6D14-43AB-BFC9-D57B8D2F2019.jpegF8F6466C-F337-4054-92AB-2B0979DC98FD.jpeg1642A386-704F-4F6A-87C2-9DD985D94186.jpegE34C46C9-2E27-4BD6-AA8B-037F5A4DA8EF.jpeg

Ricky Spanish

Great something to look forward too....cool you sold those at flea market....reminds me of the plate flowers a bit I got at my local one...but the bird feeder thing makes it functional art! :D Win win!!

https://www.selectseeds.com/Search/black eyed susan vine alba.aspx

Some of the colors are missing.....white alba I got this year, I even saw a purple ones once....Looks like they are sold out but has an email option to notitfy when available....you could start from seed but getting bit late for that.....maybe email to see if they actually are growing some more......their packing is awesome!!!

Hope things are calm in your neck of Chicago......;).
I forgot to mention, the Calvin and Hobbes cut-outs were a freebie.
I was at a flea market in Elkhorn,Wi. about 15 years ago.
I saw them and asked, “How much?”
The guys said, “You can have ‘em for free, Just take ‘em.”

And the mood in Chicago is tense.
Went to a grocery store this morning and the vibe was weird.
It’s gonna be hot and humid, today and tomorrow, and that’s usually when you hear about a lot of shootings and violence during “normal” summer days.
Thankfully, we are good.
Hope all is well with you.

John park hopper

Been gone awhile my laptop charger died (actually the wife caught the connection in the vacuum and it ripped it off) Have been picking tomatoes every day and summer squash. The deer ate all my broccoli plants, they were about 3 feet tall, ate all the lettuce and Swiss chard. Have salad tomatoes planted outside the fence and the ate the new growth on the those (never had that happen before). Picked the last of the sugar snap peas will plant more in the fall. Not being political but I am so glad I live far from any city. Charleston SC has not been immune from the madness.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Been gone awhile my laptop charger died (actually the wife caught the connection in the vacuum and it ripped it off) Have been picking tomatoes every day and summer squash. The deer ate all my broccoli plants, they were about 3 feet tall, ate all the lettuce and Swiss chard. Have salad tomatoes planted outside the fence and the ate the new growth on the those (never had that happen before). Picked the last of the sugar snap peas will plant more in the fall. Not being political but I am so glad I live far from any city. Charleston SC has not been immune from the madness.

Oh deer.....:confused:…..I only had ONE once a few years back mowing down on my morning glories, which are supposed to be poisonous....sure hope he got a stomach ache because he didn't return.....ugh ugh ugh......been seeing a fat bunny nibbling on my ground black eyed susans, mostly the goldstrum, doesn't touch the Little Henry though. I overheard my neighbor telling her daughter she wasn't sure what got into her lettuce.....hee hee….I KNOW......gotta get up early to see that varmit. Sorry about your broccoli. My MIL invested in one of those walk in cages for their large raspberry patch.....and had some fabric netting around a raised bed but they bypassed that. She has large yard with beautiful gardens on a corner lot they just cut through daily.....she has tried EVERYTHING!!!! I have to laugh as I have a new raised VegTrug and I laugh at that bunny, but it sure would be a buffet for a deer.:rolleyes:

WOW you are getting tomatoes already!!!!!:D I want to try summer squash, I use it a lot in pasta dishes in summer......

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I forgot to mention, the Calvin and Hobbes cut-outs were a freebie.
I was at a flea market in Elkhorn,Wi. about 15 years ago.
I saw them and asked, “How much?”
The guys said, “You can have ‘em for free, Just take ‘em.”

And the mood in Chicago is tense.
Went to a grocery store this morning and the vibe was weird.
It’s gonna be hot and humid, today and tomorrow, and that’s usually when you hear about a lot of shootings and violence during “normal” summer days.
Thankfully, we are good.
Hope all is well with you.

LOVE that for a wedding invite....👍. My college roomie and I used to leave each other notes with calvinisms and drawings. ;) My Dad was a big fan of Pearls before Swine and it was rather funny when Bill Watterson returned to do a few strips.:D (kept telling him it was a far superior strip...he was not so sure....) Great catch on the cutouts!!! Not everyone has such a treasure! I saw that Gary Larson has a page with new toons once in awhile. Good stuff.

I am in a burb outside Detroit and all quiet thus far, but I am sure if I drove around I could find trouble, but I am smarter than that.....I think.....:oops:

I know people in other cities experiencing some scary stuff.....best to stick to our gardens as much as possible!!!!:cool: Was 43 the other morning and now 88......but looks like we will have some variety weatherwise, hopefully more rain. My water bill is already grinning broadly at me.....but I did capture about 80 gallons last night in rain barrels to use on annuals. I got 2 60 gal for a song from a garden program plant sale but paid for a 80 gallon later tucked behind garage. I love that they are dark green and blend well with gardens.
Rain Barrel USA

YOU have a lot of watering to do too..... :oops:

Ricky Spanish

LOVE that for a wedding invite....👍. My college roomie and I used to leave each other notes with calvinisms and drawings. ;) My Dad was a big fan of Pearls before Swine and it was rather funny when Bill Watterson returned to do a few strips.:D (kept telling him it was a far superior strip...he was not so sure....) Great catch on the cutouts!!! Not everyone has such a treasure! I saw that Gary Larson has a page with new toons once in awhile. Good stuff.

I am in a burb outside Detroit and all quiet thus far, but I am sure if I drove around I could find trouble, but I am smarter than that.....I think.....:oops:

I know people in other cities experiencing some scary stuff.....best to stick to our gardens as much as possible!!!!:cool: Was 43 the other morning and now 88......but looks like we will have some variety weatherwise, hopefully more rain. My water bill is already grinning broadly at me.....but I did capture about 80 gallons last night in rain barrels to use on annuals. I got 2 60 gal for a song from a garden program plant sale but paid for a 80 gallon later tucked behind garage. I love that they are dark green and blend well with gardens.
Rain Barrel USA

YOU have a lot of watering to do too..... :oops:
Thankfully, my water is still unmetered.
Chicago has been “encouraging” residents to add meters, to save money on their water bills.
I have been wanting to capture rain water to use for awhile, just need to do it.
My grandma did it all the time for her houseplants and they were always healthy.
And I actually like to water(as long as I have a cool drink in my hand)

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Note: DO NOT use rainwater from roof on your veggies.....lots of icky stuff from roof gets in there you don't want to eat!!!:oops:

I love the idea of using captured water for houseplants! I have a little round table with a lip that catches water and think I will start using that on my indoor plants! Grandmas are great! :cool:

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Thankfully, my water is still unmetered.
Chicago has been “encouraging” residents to add meters, to save money on their water bills.
I have been wanting to capture rain water to use for awhile, just need to do it.
My grandma did it all the time for her houseplants and they were always healthy.
And I actually like to water(as long as I have a cool drink in my hand)

So if it is unmetered everyone is charged a flat rate? Would you really save money if you hook up to meter when you are a big water user?! Hard to know. I had my interruptible electric meter taken out as they were only supposed to shut your ac down 15 minutes a few times a day, and it was much more than that on hot days.....then I recently got estimate(pre covid) on a heat pump and guy said to install an interruptible meter to save money......:D….you have to a few hundred to reinstall and don't think I want them to regain that control. Plus I am quite certain that dude disconnected my AC wire when he dismantled the interruptible.....and been pondering if it was intentional!!!;) Metering is not always a good thing....

John park hopper

No metered water here, luck we have a well 40' down there is a rock layer and below that there ia an aquifer with very good water. What water we use goes back into the ground via the septic system drain field.

Sitting here drinking my coffee and the front door is open the dog starts barking --a young doe was standing in the drive way, pulled Ellee (dog) away and shut the door from the window I watched, the doe headed for my sweet potatoes (deer love to eat) Just had to chase her away into the woods.

Last edited:

Figgy1

Premium Member
New pics.
1st pic. Radishes, carrots, green beans, tomatoes, sugar snap peas.
My planters need work, nothing planted yet.
2nd pic. Tomatoes, yellow and red peppers, celery, green beans, jalapeños, cucumbers, summer squash.
It’s planted close together, but it works.
3rd pic. Black eyed Susan’s, phlox, lantana, “grape” coral bells.
4th pic. Double knock out roses, hosta, dragons blood sedum.
.View attachment 474210View attachment 474211View attachment 474212View attachment 474213
I love your hostas, here the deer call them the buffet line:cautious:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom