The General Gardening Thread

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Tink is happily watching rainfall this morning...... :D. I am so thankful God has taken on my watering chores this morning!!!!

We have a humungous maple tree in front, DH can't stand because it is always causing a mess, loads of twirlers, from April to October and of course then the leaves.....he wants it down, but it shades our home nicely, Tink has planted mass of shade loving plants in front yard, and really it likely would cost $5000 to take it down anyhow. I am opting for considering a professional tree service to give it a major haircut.....a new tree would take years for shade and hey don't they all make some sort of mess?!?! :oops:

epcotisbest

My wife likes to go through the sick plant section of our local big box home improvement store and rescue plants to try to nurse back to health. They usually have a nice selection of sickly looking things and she enjoys the challenge of plant rehab.
This one was $1 and was pitiful when she got it. She repotted it and since it had no label, had no idea what it was. Turns out it is some kind of climbing thing, so as it started growing she asked me to stop by and get a small trellis for it one day. I told her I could just make something.
I clipped some small limbs and used zip ties to build the little makeshift trellis for the plant to climb on. When I looked at the finished result, I was sure my wife was going to hate it, but turns out she loves it and says it is better than any bought one. Now, I know that is not true, but she seems to like this just fine, and soon it will be covered with new growth anyway.

trellis.jpg

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Oooh I like that idea....a bargain that turns into a treasure!

I am not a fan of Rose of Sharon, the flowers are beautiful but we took out the ones actually in our yard yet the far back corners have plants in other peeps yards, likely grandchildren of our prior ones or vice versa. Anyhow, the flowers turn into seed pods and they infilitrate the deepest mulch and seed easily....and in abundance. In the lawn the mower takes them on, but once they get about 5 inches tall they are very hard to get out without digging. Each year I hand pull about 200 coming up in my back corners....and they keep appearing all summer. I have asked permission to cut them back from neighbors once bloom is done....they cannot really see them from their respective homes anyhow...but that helps but does not solve the problem. I cannot dig up the new ones on neighbors side and it seems an endless battle!!!! they often come up under something else and get rooted well before you notice. They will take a massive haircut so I advise that you do so after blooming stops and you notice seed pods....which will drop seeds all the rest of summer into fall and even the next Spring if left unattended. I usually hold a dishpan under when I cut so none escapes....they are rather like an open salt shaker when you move them they sprinkle!!! :D

Last edited:

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
My wife likes to go through the sick plant section of our local big box home improvement store and rescue plants to try to nurse back to health. They usually have a nice selection of sickly looking things and she enjoys the challenge of plant rehab.
This one was $1 and was pitiful when she got it. She repotted it and since it had no label, had no idea what it was. Turns out it is some kind of climbing thing, so as it started growing she asked me to stop by and get a small trellis for it one day. I told her I could just make something.
I clipped some small limbs and used zip ties to build the little makeshift trellis for the plant to climb on. When I looked at the finished result, I was sure my wife was going to hate it, but turns out she loves it and says it is better than any bought one. Now, I know that is not true, but she seems to like this just fine, and soon it will be covered with new growth anyway.

View attachment 478682

Lovely! That looks like a Mandevilla. Trellis looks great.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Loving the pics of everyone's gardens. Hope y'all don't mind me jumping in now.

I do my veg and herbs in containers. Minor effort this year, usually do a lot more than just cherry tomatoes and herbs, but covid...

IMG_20200623_194423.jpg

I've got basil, rosemary, thyme, oregano, chives, sage, parsley, dill (hoping for some swallowtails) and three kinds of cherry tomatoes--sungold, "black cherry" ( new variety, can't wait, so curious!) and a grape tomato.

Petunias in the hanging basket

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
And over the past several years, we have been attempting to represent World Showcase in garden ornaments. Some of them are getting a little overgrown.

Japan
IMG_20200623_194643.jpg

China (hello, Mushu! Found him in Target--he just got a fresh coat of paint)
IMG_20200623_194625.jpg

France (curiously, also purchased this from Target)
IMG_20200623_194617.jpg

Canada! It's a "cover your outdoor thing with a fake rock" that we got from a catalog, but I'm thinking looks like the rockwork in the Canada pavilion. It's now very hidden by an overgrown arborvitae. And a hosta named "Paul's Glory" that is a tribute to Paul.McCartney (my hubs is a Beatles fan)
IMG_20200623_194610.jpg

The United Kingdom pavilion is represented by this Tudor cottage ornament that I found in Christmas Tree Shops quite some time ago. I have to touch up the paint job every few years. It's due. :rolleyes:
IMG_20200623_194548.jpg

And finally, Morocco. Picked these up 2 years ago at Christmas Tree Shops.
IMG_20200623_194541.jpg

So I'm missing Mexico, Norway, Germany and maybe the U.S. Although my garden is in the U.S., so I think that 's that. Italy is represented by a stand of five arborvitae which are very reminiscent of the "Italian Cypress" that used to be at the rear of the original Italy pavilion. I'm satisfied with that.

Last edited:

Ricky Spanish

View attachment 478682
We do the same thing.
There is a Lowe’s that marks plants down all the time.
The lilies that I posted were $1 each last year. We bought a bunch, red, yellow, orange.
Also, I bought flats of marigolds for $2.50 this year.
They just needed to be deadheaded.
They are healthy and beautiful.
I always shop the clearance areas at stores.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom