The Gaming Industry: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Mike S

Original Poster
Blizzard announces Hearthstone will not be coming to the Switch. Pretty grim news considering its one of the biggest games on the market and would not take much to port considering its available on tablets and phones.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/02...blizzard?abthid=5a81ba8fb10d09530c0000ef&read
In my experience this news was met with crickets and people saying “who cares, what about Overwatch?”

And really? One of the biggest games out there? Yeah it probably makes bank on all the Blizzard zealots and mobile gamers but to most people it’s just a virtual card game.

Edit: Just did some research and the game is exclusive to PC and mobile so it’s not just the Switch but all consoles that they’re uninterested in bringing the game to. I guess the PS4 and Xbox One are doomed as well because Blizzard won’t port their little card game.

Last edited:

Jahona

In my experience this news was met with crickets and people saying “who cares, what about Overwatch?”

And really? One of the biggest games out there? Yeah it probably makes bank on all the Blizzard zealots and mobile gamers but to most people it’s just a virtual card game.

Edit: Just did some research and the game is exclusive to PC and mobile so it’s not just the Switch but all consoles that they’re uninterested in bringing the game to. I guess the PS4 and Xbox One are doomed as well because Blizzard won’t port their little card game.

I can understand why Blizzard won't port to the Switch. While it's a mobile platform it's limited by not always having an always active internet like many mobile devices. Although since it does include a touch screen I could see it as something in the future. Also does the Switch support free 2 play gaming platforms?

I stopped playing hearthstone a while ago after Blizzard screwed up the meta with the old gods expansion. Lost interest and never went back. Over watch still pulls me in from time to time but high rank competitive is cancer. I was actually glad to loose ranking after not playing a season and get stuck in gold.

Jimmy Thick

Heck yes please!

https://www.polygon.com/2018/2/20/1...mastered-release-date-trailer-ps4-xbox-one-pc

Burnout Paradise Remastered, an enhanced version of developer Criterion Games’ classic open-world racing game, will launch on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on March 16 for $39.99, publisher Electronic Arts announced today.

The revamped Burnout Paradise will support 4K resolution on the PlayStation 4 Pro and Xbox One X, although it will not offer native 4K on all platforms. (Presumably, this means native 4K will not be available on the PS4 Pro.) EA said the remaster will run “natively” in 1080p on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, as well as in 4K at 60fps on all platforms.

Burnout Paradise Remastered will include almost all previously released downloadable content. The only exception is the Time Savers Pack, an add-on that unlocked every vehicle in the game. Although the remaster is coming first to consoles, both digitally and at retail, EA said it will later release a Windows PC version exclusively in its Origin store. The company did not announce a Nintendo Switch version. EA Access subscribers will be able to play for up to 10 hours starting a week early, on March 9.

Originally released in January 2008, Burnout Paradise gained critical acclaim for its open-world take on the popular series. But Electronic Arts soon moved Criterion Games over to work on the Need for Speed franchise, putting Burnout on the back burner. Paradise was the last entry in the main series, with just one more Burnout title later released on mobile devices in 2010. Burnout Paradise Remastered is being developed by Criterion in collaboration with Guildford, U.K.-based Stellar Entertainment Software.

Rumors first swirled earlier this year that a remaster of Burnout Paradise would soon arrive on modern consoles, following purported forum leaks and an appearance on a Japanese Twitter account. Today’s confirmation comes just after the most recent suggested leak, which appeared on Reddit. For more on Burnout Paradise Remastered, check out the eight 4K screenshots above.
Samit Sarkar contributed to this report.

Update: We’ve added further details and a screenshot gallery.

Update 2: EA confirmed to Polygon that Burnout Paradise Remastered will support 60 fps gameplay “across all platforms.” It will also have eight-player online multiplayer, as did the original version.

“As for Switch, we have nothing to announce there,” a representative told us regarding a potential Nintendo port.

One of the greatest racing/destruction games of all time!

Jahona

The company been singled out as the worst offender of seven major digital video games platforms that were looked at by the Norwegian Consumer Council in this investigation. Though it only praises two platforms, Origin and Steam, for having what it describes as “adequate systems” for refunding purchased video games.

taking a small snipet from the article. The only reason why Origin and Steam got praise is because the European Union already went after them a few years ago forcing them to make changes. Companies are going to do what they can to keep revenue until someone comes knocking on their door telling them otherwise. Nintendo will most likely make a few policy changes and this will be a non issue in the future.

Yes. Totally right. Video games like Grand Theft Auto and DOOM are totally the reason that kids lost their lives recently at the High School I went to. As we all know the guy wasn’t using a gun but was instead throwing copies of these games and forcing people to play them.
https://www.rollingstone.com/glixel...ants-to-increase-tax-on-violent-games-w516967

God damn morons.

Well I mean no one said government officials are smart. If only there was someone who could advise them with documented studies done that shows no correlation between violent video games and increased aggression.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Well I mean no one said government officials are smart. If only there was someone who could advise them with documented studies done that shows no correlation between violent video games and increased aggression.
I would not count on that happening any time soon. We currently have Commerce Secretary that thinks that the lava planes on the moon are "hundreds of feet of solid ice". These are not exactly people that even know how to read a scientific paper let alone pay attention to one that does not agree with their preconceived notion.

Jahona

I would not count on that happening any time soon. We currently have Commerce Secretary that thinks that the lava planes on the moon are "hundreds of feet of solid ice". These are not exactly people that even know how to read a scientific paper let alone pay attention to one that does not agree with their preconceived notion.

Sad but true.

https://www.ted.com/talks/jane_mcgonigal_gaming_can_make_a_better_world
Interesting Ted Talk on games and children. I saw Jane speak at SIGGRAPH several years ago.

Mike S

Original Poster
taking a small snipet from the article. The only reason why Origin and Steam got praise is because the European Union already went after them a few years ago forcing them to make changes. Companies are going to do what they can to keep revenue until someone comes knocking on their door telling them otherwise. Nintendo will most likely make a few policy changes and this will be a non issue in the future.
Most likely.
If anything a violent game would be an outlet for a person’s aggression, not a cause. I wonder if there’s been any studies on that.

Jahona

If anything a violent game would be an outlet for a person’s aggression, not a cause. I wonder if there’s been any studies on that.

I don't have time to find it again but I do remember a paper that brought up that topic. They didn't have the full research of a study but it did believe there could be a corelation to getting out anger or aggression. Similar to boxing or martial arts. Learning to channel frustration through other outlets. There may be studies being done currently on the topic.

Jahona

EA: “Just look at what we did with BF2!!!”

Konami: “Hold my beer.”

That's a pretty crappy thing to do for a non free to play game to pull. Is the save even uploaded to their cloud servers? If not then they are charging you to use your own storage space.

Mike S

Original Poster
Looks like the government will actually have to step in as the ESRB refuses to actually address the issue. Not surprising though since their funding comes from companies like EA, Activision Blizzard, Ubisoft, etc. so of course they wouldn’t want to ruin their gravy train.
https://kotaku.com/after-months-of-controversy-esrb-will-add-in-game-purc-1823356171

The label I propose would be similar to this one found on some Switch games that lets you know if the games requires a download that might be too much for the internal 32GB storage.
5721413_sd.jpg;maxHeight=1000;maxWidth=1000

It gets the point across very clearly to people like me that don’t want to deal with games that can’t be bothered to go for the bigger storage cartridges so I can avoid too many downloads. It’s also pretty ugly on the front of the box.

I propose games that include microtransactions and lootboxes should have a similar label that reads, “This game contains microtransactions and a gambling-like mechanic known as lootboxes.” The symbol would be like a slot machine. Imo, that would get the point across very clearly and give people the knowledge needed to avoid those games if they want to. But what if companies like EA would be upset with such a label you ask? The label isn’t supposed to be helpful for them. It would be there to be helpful to consumers.

“In-game purchases” is way too broad and avoids the issue entirely.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom