The Gaming Industry: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I have spent a fun day playing Tomb Raider the newer version, I also have Rise of the Tomb Raider to play through as well.

Mike S

Original Poster
Don't feel too bad. I have never been into any of the Nintendo or Sega properties.
379ch.gif

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
They simply never held my attention.

I grew up in the late 70's early 80's playing cabinet style arcade games, because that was all we had. A story for most was pretty limited. The original consoles like the 2600, ColecoVision and the original NES were more of the same. The only games I really liked of that era were the text based ones on the C64 like Zork, Hitchhiker's Guide and Leather Goddess of Phobos.

It also did not help that I was dirt poor. The only games I usually had were the ones that came with the console. My NES experience did not go much farther than Mario, Duck Hunt and Excite Bike.

I found a lot more enjoyment in playing AD&D and reading. With AD&D, a $30 investment bought me and my friends a near endless run of entertainment.

I really did not get into gaming until PC gaming until the early 90's. My BIL helped me build a 386/40 when I was around 20. Some of the first games I played were ones like Myst, X-Wing and Wing Commander. Those were the ones that stuck as there was a story and not just the aggravation of missing one of the final jumps by .001 seconds on life number 3 on a side scroller.

Mike S

Original Poster
They simply never held my attention.

I grew up in the late 70's early 80's playing cabinet style arcade games, because that was all we had. A story for most was pretty limited. The original consoles like the 2600, ColecoVision and the original NES were more of the same. The only games I really liked of that era were the text based ones on the C64 like Zork, Hitchhiker's Guide and Leather Goddess of Phobos.

It also did not help that I was dirt poor. The only games I usually had were the ones that came with the console. My NES experience did not go much farther than Mario, Duck Hunt and Excite Bike.

I found a lot more enjoyment in playing AD&D and reading. With AD&D, a $30 investment bought me and my friends a near endless run of entertainment.

I really did not get into gaming until PC gaming until the early 90's. My BIL helped me build a 386/40 when I was around 20. Some of the first games I played were ones like Myst, X-Wing and Wing Commander. Those were the ones that stuck as there was a story and not just the aggravation of missing one of the final jumps by .001 seconds on life number 3 on a side scroller.
You play Ultima? I’ve heard those games pretty much invented the modern open world.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
You play Ultima? I’ve heard those games pretty much invented the modern open world.
I did not. The first really open world game I got into was Wing Commander Privateer followed by the sequel.

I did not really get into another open world game until after I got my first 360. That is when Borderlands became my open world poison of choice almost by accident. Borderlands 2 was about a month away from going gold and a podcast I was listening to at the time (I think it was Major Nelson) had an interview with lead writer Anthony Burch. The story and the gameplay really sounded like my cup of tea so I picked up a used copy of Borderlands 1 and I was hooked. I think my Steam account shows over a thousand hours in Borderlands 2 alone. No clue what my total count is between 1, the pre-sequel and the replaying of 2 when I got the Handsome Jack Collection for the Xbox One.

I have also never been crazy about multi-player which really limits my open world options these days. My gaming time is rather limited so I mostly stick to story based, first person shooters these days. With them I don't have to coordinate with others or commit a good bit of time to doing a raid. I can play for 15-30 minutes at a pop and pick up right were I left off.

The next game on my horizon is Far Cry 5. It will be my first dip into Far Cry series. The story and the game play look really good so fingers crossed.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Tried The Witcher 3 ? That is an amazing game especially with the expansions.
I have not. I have never been crazy about the third person format. I can deal with it with melee weapons, but it drives me nuts with ranged weapons. In a nut shell, I don't mind it so much when I have a lightsaber, but games like Mass Effect drove me nuts.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
I've been playing Nier Automata and its been a fantastic game. I bought it on a whim, not sure if I'd like it, but like all good games, it sucked me in.

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Just had a quick play of Sea of Thieves on PC, its looks amazing and the sea tech is probably the best I have ever seen in my 40 odd years of gaming, had a solo play as I want to learn the ropes (haha) found some booty made some coins all round a successful test, now when i play next do i play taunt the Galleon where they think you have lots of loot on board as u run as soon as they see you then take them on a merry chase around the islands :p

Mike S

Original Poster
Anybody play the new Kirby on Switch yet? Wondering if it's worth the pickup. @Mike S is the big Switch guy. Thoughts?
I don’t play Kirby. Too easy.

Anyone here play Ark: Survival Evolved? That just got announced for Switch and I’m thinking about it because of the Dinosaurs.

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I hate to think how it will run on the Switch, even on my very high end PC it can sometimes run like molasses

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I hate to think how it will run on the Switch, even on my very high end PC it can sometimes run like molasses
It will have to be scaled down a good bit. In hand held mode you can give up a lot on resolution due to the smaller screen without a huge hit to quality. Lower the shadows, reflections and the draw distance and it should work pretty well.

Mike S

Original Poster
It will have to be scaled down a good bit. In hand held mode you can give up a lot on resolution due to the smaller screen without a huge hit to quality. Lower the shadows, reflections and the draw distance and it should work pretty well.
From what that video shows it’s running pretty well and according to the developer it’s only been a straitforward port so far and not fully optimized.
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...ey-got-ark-survival-evolved-working-on-switch

From everything I’ve read about this game it seems like the people porting the Switch version are much better at optimizing games than the actual developer Studio Wildcard. Which is crazy.

Jahona

I own it, picked it up on a steam sale a year or so back. I have yet to play it. I was hoping a few friends would join in but they never did.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom