The Gaming Industry: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

erasure fan1

I picked up Andromeda on the cheap a month or so ago. Been slowly making my way though it in my free time. It's not as bad as I was expecting but it's a sad reminder of what could have been. The premise for Andromeda is great, it just needed better writing.
The game is a lot better than whats been said about it. The animations were a problem but gameplay was top notch. EA is in my eyes, all that is wrong in video games. Most of what they make ends up being average because if a game cant nickel and dime you, its gotta change. I have been pretty vocal about the mistake that Disney made partnering with EA. So far, major bust.

Mike S

Original Poster
The game is a lot better than whats been said about it. The animations were a problem but gameplay was top notch. EA is in my eyes, all that is wrong in video games. Most of what they make ends up being average because if a game cant nickel and dime you, its gotta change. I have been pretty vocal about the mistake that Disney made partnering with EA. So far, major bust.
They also have unrealistic expectations for sales. I watched Jim Sterling’s take on this and he stated how they wanted Dead Space 3 to sell 5 million copies.

DisneyRoy

Another good one.
View attachment 238708

People should really start boycotting EA in massive numbers.

I completely agree with the boycott. And if you ask any gamer, they agree with you too! Yet people continue to buy EA's crap because they bought all the good licenses to make games for. It's a win-win for them. Make games and then make money. For all the gamer's it's a lose-lose. Buy crappy game and get a crappy game.

Johnny Three-hats

Well, Disney Infinity has a friend now, I guess. I miss Disney Infinity. It was a dumb little game trying to be too many things at once, but I enjoyed collecting some of the figures and pieces and going through the premade or custom worlds. Only game I could ever play as Yondu in and that's more than enough for me. But I guess shutting down got us the Gold Editions on Steam so double-edged sword. Wonder when Skylanders will join the club.

You know Activision, you didn’t have to take me seriously with this.
https://kotaku.com/activision-patents-matchmaking-that-encourages-players-1819630937

Oh, and this is so much worse than what I suggested.
Dear God, that is insidious and a little terrifying. What a wonderful way to kill any and all fun players might have for the sake of making a quick buck. And what do they mean "purchase"? No way would they let a player just purchase the item outright at this point. No, there would be another algorithm in place to force you to buy a certain number of lootboxes before you're allowed to get the item you actually want, and God knows that that wouldn't be disclosed. Don't tell me it's not possible; if this is a patent, it's a distinct possibility.

I swear, it's like AAA publishers just don't want my money anymore.

Cesar R M

I picked up Andromeda on the cheap a month or so ago. Been slowly making my way though it in my free time. It's not as bad as I was expecting but it's a sad reminder of what could have been. The premise for Andromeda is great, it just needed better writing.
I had prepurchased and trust me, the game was horribly buggy for a month or so. infact, around 5-7 missions could get bugged completely randomly and you could not finish them. 3 of them were a "sure" hit at least once per game (one of them affecting EVERYONE100%).

The animations were hilariously BAD, shadows, details, etc.. horrible. It looked like a game of 20 USD by a tiny developer.

I liked the main mission. So I do not see much trouble with the character and the premise.

Cesar R M

Yeah I read up before buying to see what they patched. It's run well so far.
Some bugs are still not patched btw. They abandoned the game before fixing multiplayer for example.

Fiends are still teleporting and grabbing you trough walls, or appearing instantly next to you to insta kill you..etc..
Crashes on fiends/ascendant are also still common.

Cesar R M

Instead, Nintendo fans (if you live in the US anyhow) have to deal with the greatest of horrors: memes.

spdr2t.jpg

zelda-triforce-heroes-doge-such-ruin.jpg

And some really bad localizations like Fire Emblem, but mostly it's the memes.
to be honest, the body is ready meme exploded when using Reggie (president of nintendo) lol.

So many good memories from Bioware, Criterion and Pandemic games, hurts so much now.

Wonder when Lucasfilm decides to restart Lucasarts?

Same but I was more on Bioware, Maxis and Westwood Studios side.
God, I still remember playing Dune 2.

Wow that's not shady at all.
Its Activision, they have been worse than EA for ages.
But now that they merged with Blizzard.... :(

Last edited:

The_Jobu

Some bugs are still not patched btw. They abandoned the game before fixing multiplayer for example.

Fiends are still teleporting and grabbing you trough walls, or appearing instantly next to you to insta kill you..etc..
Crashes on fiends/ascendant are also still common.
You misunderstand. That's an homage to the banshees of ME3 that had magic suction power to grab you halfway across the map ;)

Jimmy Thick

Wow that's not shady at all.

Shady or not, it’s not illegal and people will buy it. People buy loot boxes it’s a huge revenue stream that’s not going away anytime soon.

Loot boxes, dlc, season passes should have been stomped out when they first started but the easy of one click digital downloads, Steam, PSN etc ruined it.

And the thing is, people keep buying this stuff, I’m guilty, everyone I game with is guilty, it’s the price to pay to be a modern gamer and there is absolutely nothing that will change it. Unless people start talking with their wallets nothing is going to change and that is not going to happens.

It’s great to complain about and makes great clickbait but it’s what gaming has become.

Like it or not.

Btw, ME Andromedia was a pretty dam good game. The facial animations can get pretty wonky but the combat is spectacular and the story is pretty underrated. I believe they will get back to it eventually but not in the near future, I’ll keep my fingers crossed.

Mike S

Original Poster
Shady or not, it’s not illegal and people will buy it. People buy loot boxes it’s a huge revenue stream that’s not going away anytime soon.

Loot boxes, dlc, season passes should have been stomped out when they first started but the easy of one click digital downloads, Steam, PSN etc ruined it.

And the thing is, people keep buying this stuff, I’m guilty, everyone I game with is guilty, it’s the price to pay to be a modern gamer and there is absolutely nothing that will change it. Unless people start talking with their wallets nothing is going to change and that is not going to happens.

It’s great to complain about and makes great clickbait but it’s what gaming has become.

Like it or not.

Btw, ME Andromedia was a pretty dam good game. The facial animations can get pretty wonky but the combat is spectacular and the story is pretty underrated. I believe they will get back to it eventually but not in the near future, I’ll keep my fingers crossed.
Right now the UK government is investigating loot boxes as gambling and if they find that yes it is you can be sure it’ll be applied everywhere else as well just to avoid making a specific UK version without them.

Until then just don’t buy games with these “features.”

Jahona

Like it or not.

Oh I didn't say it's illegal. There are a ton of business practices that companies use to increase revenue based off of tailoring analytical data to consumers. It's frighting having worked and seen it in action. But just like subliminal messaging was banned we might see regulation put into place in the future to hopefully stop some anti consumer practices.

Mike S

Original Poster
So all that's left is the starter of the whole "toys to life" trend: skylanders.
and amiibos too, but that doesn't really count
so when is skylanders gonna die so spyro can relive as its own franchise?
Ubisoft is releasing this game next year.

It’s also been confirmed that unlike other toys to life games you can buy the physical toys or buy the stuff digitally. I’m watching this with curiosity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom