The Gaming Industry: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

jaklgreen

For the Alliance!

I started in 2006 and played up till partway through Warlords of Draenor. Most of the people I played with fell off through the years so I eventually left. I sometimes get an itch to hop back in but it's never been more than that. There's a part of me that is nostalgic for WoW. I spent a good part of my early years playing with IRL friends and online ones.

Wow is the only game that has help my interest, ever. I have been playing continuously since I started 10 years ago. My top interests in life, family, Disney, Wow, reading(not necessarily in that order :p).

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
At first I was not interested at all, but there were some friends and things I saw that convinced me to get Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I didn't enjoy the first game too much but I was convinced to give the series another try. So far I've loved the game

Jimmy Thick

For the Alliance!

I started in 2006 and played up till partway through Warlords of Draenor. Most of the people I played with fell off through the years so I eventually left. I sometimes get an itch to hop back in but it's never been more than that. There's a part of me that is nostalgic for WoW. I spent a good part of my early years playing with IRL friends and online ones.

Simply put, World of Warcraft is the greatest game of all time. It is the game that defines all MMO's and even non MMO's. It really has no competition and everyone steals from it but none can touch it or dream of topping it. I'll put WoW and it first two expansions against any form of entertainment ever produced and say its better. Its that great.

Is WoW what it once was? Probably not its for more forgiving now and accessible, but even on its bad days, * cough Draenor cough *, its still better than most peoples best.

And now something different, 2017's death knell.

Holiday sales? Here is what I got:

From GoG
Prisoner of Ice
Conquests of the Longbow
Conquest of Camelot
Codename Iceman
Spycraft: The Great Game- Never played a game where you can graphically torture someone...
Master of Orion 3
Master of Orion reboot
The Temple of Elemental Evil

From Steam:
Full Throttle Remastered- Great old school Lucasarts point and click adventure, back when Lucasarts was king
Front Office Football 8
Player Unknown Battlegrounds- This game is way over hyped, its the Twitch fanboi preferred game but its far too rampant with cheating right now.
Warlords Battlecry 3
Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2- WOW, these are freaking amazing!
Tyranny
Pillars of Eternity and all DLC.

For the PS4:
Final Fantasy 12 and 15
Horizon Zero Dawn
Yakuza 0

Pretty good haul, lots of games to keep me busy.

Looking forward to in 2018?

Next WoW expansion.
Farcry 5- Probably 2018's game of the year.
The next Dragon Quest.

My 2017 game of the year released in 2017?

Easy, Cuphead nothing comes close this year, its too old school and actually takes old gaming skills I long forgot I had to finish it. Plus it being actually difficult was refreshing in this day and age of cheat codes and easy modes.

My real game of the year?

Dragon Age Inquisition with all the DLC. I had been sitting on DAI for a bit, started to get into it then would stop a bit but EA had a sale for the season pass for DAI for $4.99 during the holidays so I got it, created a new character and started over.

Boy was I glad I did.

DAI is the ultimate Dragon Age game. And the expansions are fantastic. I played over 80 hours and finished the game with probably another 20-30 hours of content left. DAI is easily one of my personal top five games of all time and the only game this year to break into my personal top ten last year. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

I'm also happy AMD pulled their heads out their rear ends an produced Ryzen. While not the Best gaming CPU's on the market, they redeemed themselves from the horribad FX line.

And that as they say, is it for 2017.

TwilightZone

just got a wireless controller for my snes classic.
I am debating if I should add games to it now.
any success stories out there? tips?
edit
decided to jump the gun and do it anyways. I was able to successful download a few games on there. any games you'd like to suggest for the future?

Last edited:

21stamps

Just wanted to stop in and say thanks again, especially to @Mike S ! I am so glad that Santa chose the Switch over the PlayStation. It’s been a hit!!

The whole Mario’s hat thing was a bit strange at first.. but it’s grown on me ;)
We’ve used Just Dance 18 at least 4 days per week as well.. and kiddo is obsessed with FIFA18.

TwilightZone

For those pokemon fans:
what are your thoughts on the rumored new or slightly altered battle system?
I am fine with it because so many games with the same system got a little boring for me.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Simply put, World of Warcraft is the greatest game of all time. It is the game that defines all MMO's and even non MMO's. It really has no competition and everyone steals from it but none can touch it or dream of topping it. I'll put WoW and it first two expansions against any form of entertainment ever produced and say its better. Its that great.

That's a bit of a stretch....

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
For those pokemon fans:
what are your thoughts on the rumored new or slightly altered battle system?
I am fine with it because so many games with the same system got a little boring for me.
I already strongly dislike Gen 7, and if they changed even more of the formula it might kill the series for me...

TwilightZone

I already strongly dislike Gen 7, and if they changed even more of the formula it might kill the series for me...
to be fair the rumors don't indicate the return of the majority of gen 7 besides z moves.
The rumored new battle system is also said to either be just cosmetic or similar to pokken's where pokemon can guard attacks. Having a battle system more similar to the anime's I'm all for since that was what I was expecting the games to be like.

wdwfan4ver

I did get tickets to a video game expo as a Christmas gift.
The expo in Question is the 2018 Midwest gaming classic and its located in a 130,000 square feet area. The Midwest Gaming Classic has been around since 2001 or 2002 and has drawn over 10,000 people in recent years and its going to being in April. The tickets I got are for 2 days. I'll be more than happy to give information on the Guest Speakers and Panels based on what the organizers already announced on Facebook.

Here is a summary of stuff the 2018 Midwest gaming Classic will have based on their trailer:
  • Hundreds of Arcade video games and Pinball games you can play for free.
  • Home Console Museum - It has basically all home console systems ever released I believe and you can play them at the Museum
  • Events, Exhibits, and Displays
  • Table Top Gaming
  • Guest Speakers and Panels
  • Cosplay Competition
  • live music
  • Huge Vendor area

Mike S

Original Poster
I’ve been waiting for big news before bringing this thread back from the dead. As usual, Nintendo’s killing it since the launch of the Switch with games and systems selling like crazy. It has already surpassed the Wii U after less than a year as well.
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=234516
Battlefront 2 underperformed compared to its predecessor,
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/s...d83&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook
and according to Polygon EA could get acquired by Microsoft.
https://www.polygon.com/2018/1/29/16930892/xbox-one-exclusive-games-analysis-microsoft

Discuss.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I’ve been waiting for big news before bringing this thread back from the dead. As usual, Nintendo’s killing it since the launch of the Switch with games and systems selling like crazy. It has already surpassed the Wii U after less than a year as well.
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=234516
Battlefront 2 underperformed compared to its predecessor,
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-wars-battlefront-2-underperforms-microtransac/1100-6456447/?ftag=GSS-05-10aab8d&utm_campaign=trueAnthem: Trending Content&utm_content=5a70f1f219694a0007fafd83&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook
and according to Polygon EA could get acquired by Microsoft.
https://www.polygon.com/2018/1/29/16930892/xbox-one-exclusive-games-analysis-microsoft

Discuss.
MS acquiring EA would be a very good thing for MS. They basically need their catalog to make their $10 a month game pass a no brainer purchase. After that they can put a bullet in it. If they do not mind taking the income hit, they could go Xbox exclusive which would not do Sony any favors.

The rumor that really interests me is MS acquiring Valve. While I think it is an unbelievable long shot, there is major upside for MS. Valve instantly fixes the MS store and it makes PC and Xbox cross platform play a done deal, which Sony will not be happy about at all.

Then there is also THE Half Life, Portal, Left 4 Dead, Team Fortress, Counter Strike and DOTA franchises. Sequels to the first 5 are all but guaranteed wins and DOTA flat out prints money.

Last edited:

Mike S

Original Poster
MS acquiring EA would be a very good thing for MS. They basically need their catalog to make their $10 a month game pass a no brainer purchase. After that they can put a bullet in it. If they do not mind taking the income hit, they could go Xbox exclusive which would not do Sony any favors.

The rumor that really interests me is MS acquiring Valve. While I think it is an unbelievable long shot, there is major upside for MS. Valve instantly fixes the MS store and it makes PC and Xbox cross platform play a done deal, which Sony will not be happy about at all.
No to mention if Microsoft buys Valve it’ll likely go like this,
23oxtb.jpg

If they buy EA however I can’t see their exclusive contracts sticking around. Madden and FIFA might become exclusive franchises but there’s no way the leagues stick to only one platform. Same goes for Disney and Star Wars. Either those games stay multi platform or EA only keeps the specific IP and not exclusive rights to make all official games.

Jahona

I can't say this came as a surprise. The massive amount of negative feedback right before launch might have been a potential reason. I never purchased it and honestly at this point it doesn't interest me right now.

I saw this posted in another thread. MS needs to either buy a few studios or start forming new ones. 343 has been silent for the most part on what's going on with the next Halo game. Hopefully it comes out this year to help boost MS's exclusives a bit. If MS bought EA and started to push their games as MS exclusives that would hurt Sony to a degree; especially in the sporting games category, that's if the licensing stays. I wonder how Disney would feel on being locked to one console or if there is anything in the contract that requires multi platform releases.

Anything that shakes EA's leadership up and gets them off their high horses would be fine by me.

Either purchase of EA or Valve would come with an online storefront. Steam vs Origin. Valve makes more sense if you are looking at the distribution side of things vs content creation.

Mike S

Original Poster
I can't say this came as a surprise. The massive amount of negative feedback right before launch might have been a potential reason. I never purchased it and honestly at this point it doesn't interest me right now.
The fact it’s considered a disappointment of 9 million shipped in like 2 months shows how bloated the AAA industry has become. As a point of reference Super Mario Odyssey also amazingly hit that number becoming the fastest selling 3D Mario game in history and I’m sure it’s viewed very far from being a “disappointment.” Companies like EA aren’t happy simply making money. They want all the money.

Either way EA took a hit and gamer’s deserve to pat themselves on the back with that one.

Jahona

The fact it’s considered a disappointment of 9 million shipped in like 2 months shows how bloated the AAA industry has become.

This is true. 9 million copies sold at $60+ for each should have recouped development and marketing costs while turning a profit. But this just shows the major flaw in EA. They aren't in it for the games or for the players but for the $$$.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
This is true. 9 million copies sold at $60+ for each should have recouped development and marketing costs while turning a profit. But this just shows the major flaw in EA. They aren't in it for the games or for the players but for the $$$.
This is often the difference between a private and publicly traded company.

A company like Valve only has to satisfy themselves. Gabe Newell might have wanted to make 100 million on X, but he will deal with only making 90 million.

EA has to deal with shareholders that will jump ship over a fraction of a cent in the stock price. Selling 9 million copies and turning an 8 figure profit is not enough when the analysts were predicting a 9 figure profit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom