The Future of Tomorrowland? Tron Legacy.

Figments Friend

I love TRON. Always thought it was a cool movie...and still love it. Now of course it has that '80s retro arcade craze' vibe to it that makes me recall my youth in the arcades and playing my Atari 2600 ( still do..by the way..) but i really cannot see 'TR2N' ( as it was originally called) becoming anything noteworthy.

I will probably go to see it....being a big TRON geek and all....but i would be very suprised to see anything realted to the films hit the Parks attraction/character appearence - wise.

If they were going to ever do anything with the franchise, they would have done it back in 82' when EPCOT Center opened. THAT would have been rockin'!!!

_Scar

Internet-Don%27t_worry_Tron.jpg

As long as the face character looks like this, I'm good.

loaloa

Will WDI create a TRON bikes race attraction at WDW? Well, what you don't know is that a "bike race" ride was envisioned by WDI Imagineers ten years ago, and although it didn't had a TRON theme it looked exactly like the TRON ride that fans can dream about... The ride was called "Rocket Bikes", was part of the Sci-Fi City project for a newly designed Tokyo Disneyland's Tomorrowland - and probably the best Tomorrowland concept ever.

Could the Imagineers adapt this Rocket Bikes concept for a TRON Bikes race attraction on WDW (or DL) People Mover track? The answer with all details on the Rocket Bikes concept in the D&M article here:

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2010/03/will-tron-bikes-attraction-come-to.html

ABigBrassBand

No thanks. Maybe they could add an Arcade based on Flynn's as a building on MSUSA (which, by the way, would be awesome, please?), but besides that, only character meetings. Well, thats what I would do anyhow depending on the sucess of the film.

DisneyParksFan

Could the Imagineers adapt this Rocket Bikes concept for a TRON Bikes race attraction on WDW (or DL) People Mover track?

I hope not! A similar idea like that failed at DL's Tomorrowland about 10 years ago. I don't see them wanting to develop a new ride system/technology and then also have to reburish the entire track system with the appropriate turns and curves. Maybe just a photo op location instead? That sounds exciting (and cheap), right?? :shrug::D

No thanks. Maybe they could add an Arcade based on Flynn's as a building on MSUSA (which, by the way, would be awesome, please?), but besides that, only character meetings. Well, thats what I would do anyhow depending on the sucess of the film.

Main Street, U.S.A? I dont think an arcade from the 80's would make much sense in a land based on the turn-of-the century.

Back to that photo op idea.....maybe at least features some of the lightcycles for display somewhere? Put in some lights for at night and it could actually look decent.

ABigBrassBand

I hope not! A similar idea like that failed at DL's Tomorrowland about 10 years ago. I don't see them wanting to develop a new ride system/technology and then also have to reburish the entire track system with the appropriate turns and curves. Maybe just a photo op location instead? That sounds exciting (and cheap), right?? :shrug::D

Main Street, U.S.A? I dont think an arcade from the 80's would make much sense in a land based on the turn-of-the century.

Back to that photo op idea.....maybe at least features some of the lightcycles for display somewhere? Put in some lights for at night and it could actually look decent.

But if you put it right next to the ice cream shop at the corner, so its on the same side of the corner as the noodle station it could serve as a transition or hidden gem.

devoy1701

Wow, if this film turns out well, I could see a huge presence in Tomorrowland . . . . a virtual future. Lots of backlit panels and digital glowing thingys . . . new rides, maybe new theming for the whole place. What say ye?

tronlegposter.jpg

Is that all it takes to be futuristic????

haha, jk :dazzle:

MKCP 1985

But if you put it right next to the ice cream shop at the corner, so its on the same side of the corner as the noodle station it could serve as a transition or hidden gem.

No way - Tomorrowland arcade, if it still exists, or not at all. Keep Tron far away from Main Street USA! :lol: When Main Street had an arcade, it was full of ancient games and I don't mean 80s ancient . . . more like 1920-30s ancient! :)

The monorail overlays look good. :king: That is more than I ever thought Disney would do for this movie. Hmmm . . . :lookaroun

Cmdr_Crimson

Well if TRON Is good enough to even be put into Kingdom Hearts it might be interesting to see what they can do as an attraction..
TronSora.png

I'm just fearing about the remake of The Black Hole......*Shudders*

wolf359

Walt Disney was cross promoting his films, television shows, and Disneyland long before the phrase "corporate synergy" was even dreamed up.

My only real concern is the quality of the source material and how it's executed in the parks. If Tron is a good movie, and whatever additions that come to the parks are high quality, it doesn't bother me at all that it's based on the "latest thing."

Avenger117

I don't think I like the idea of turning Tomorrowland into a "Tron world" but adding a well themed Tron attraction to TL would be really great. Tomorrowland should be so much more than it is right now.

enoe01

I can see it now... Space Mountain exterior made to look like a computer, the entrance to the internet. Inside all the rockets are converted to light cycles. :brick::ROFLOL::hammer:

Wait WDO would never spend that much money on a refurb.

Thrill Seeker

I liked Treasure Planet and Atlantis: The Lost Empire. Both are very underrated Disney films in my book...

As for Tron, I think Tomorrowland would be the best location for a Tron themed anything. A new theme for the Space Mountain arcade would be an easy fix. Maybe we can get a small Tron attraction to replace Stitch, or even better, a lightcycle attraction replacing part of the Tomorrowland Speedway land (crosses fingers).

PaisleyMF

For some reason I do remember when the First (or was it the second) Pirates movie open that Adventureland over Disneyland got a Theme to Pirates? And When Indiana Jones opened over there they did an overlay of Indy?

If that can be done, why can't Tron take over in an overlay for Tomorrowland in Disney World?

I know that TDO is not one tho do that but is something cool and not permanent.

WishIwasThere

The Magic Kingdom's Tomorrowland is quite spacious, and I would love to see some Wall-E or Tron aesthetics brought into play.

It seems both DL and MK's Tomorrowland have lost their way. It is indeed too hard to predict the future, especially when the future to many doesn't look bright. We are out of the atomic age, and the space age.

Yet, the MK's Tomorrowland has so much potential. Our Space Mountain finally got branded into a StarPort, but everything was done on a tight budget, that the entire experience wasn't completely refreshed nor did everything include new aesthetics.

If we are going to have a Tomorrowland 1994 2.0 (which the refurbed Space Mountain sort of full fills) then hopefully a budget can be created that can have a Tomorrowland for both humans, aliens, robots, etc.

All the remaining 1975 Tomorrowland buildings such as Carousel of Progress, TTA track, Space Mountain entrance building, and some 1971 pieces such as speedway and former tomorrowland terrace....all of these get some future 21st century or later aesthetic change for humans ala wall-e and tron.

And the 1994 parts of tomorrowland get enhancements to complete their look, and hopefully more appropriate alien and robot/sci fi attractions than Pixar.

That's why I love the look of DLP tomorrowland. Futuristic, but also very Jules Verne-ish. Not trying to be futuristic, but have a crappy Indy car ride in the middle of it (WDW MK).

MKCP 1985

Tron is never going to be anything more than a niche movie franchise. Since it doesn't sell to the ankle-biters, don't look for it in having any major presence in the Magic Kingdom. Much less an entire re-do of Tomorrowland. That's crazy talk.

I'm going to quote myself here just to emphasize how wrong-thinking this post may have been. (not that it hasn't happened before :lookaroun :lol: )

Rather than Tron being a niche movie, it is being heavily promoted beyond my wildest expectation. The new D23 magazine features Tron as the cover story and the member gift is a Tron mouse pad. :eek:

Obviously, with the Tron-orail, the attention at Disneyland with elecTRONica and a nod in the World of Color show, plus this heavy promotion, Disney has high expectations for this movie's box office.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom