The forest arrives at Fantasy Forest in the new Fantasyland

Tom

Beta Return
And this is why they were not used extensively at the other parks. Because of the distance between the parking area and the Magic Kingdom the change in grade is barely noticeable. If they used the same technique at, say, the Studios, there would need to be long incline to get to the gate from the parking lot. The shorter utilidor at Epcot which runs under Innoventions East and West was excavated as part of the foundation construction. You enter it from backstage behind the wheelchair stroller rental and walk down a long ramp. A corridor to the left curves under Innovations East, or continue curving to the right around the foundation for Spaceship Earth to meet the other corridor the curves under Innovations West.

Indeed.

And thanks for the details on the Epcot tunnel. Other than having seen the entrance by Energy in satellite imagery, I literally know NOTHING about what's down there.

tirian

Indeed.

And thanks for the details on the Epcot tunnel. Other than having seen the entrance by Energy in satellite imagery, I literally know NOTHING about what's down there.

The Epcot tunnel is much larger, brighter, and more spacious than the MK tunnels, even though it is basically used for storage and break areas.

Tom

Beta Return
The Epcot tunnel is much larger, brighter, and more spacious than the MK tunnels, even though it is basically used for storage and break areas.

I just remembered that "backstage" tour in Epcot from the 80s where you sat in a theater and looked through windows into Epcot's version of DACS. Was that real? Were you actually looking into the "tunnel" area of Epcot?

Speaking of this - and this is completely off topic - but where are Epcot's, DHS's and AK's versions of DACS? Maybe those parks store each ride's controls locally (at each ride), but I'm sure they still have central control rooms for park audio, parade control, etc.

tirian

Quick explanation: The MK Utildoors are much more extensive than Epcot's one little tunnel, but Epcot's has higher ceilings, wider walkways, and more sunlight.

I just remembered that "backstage" tour in Epcot from the 80s where you sat in a theater and looked through windows into Epcot's version of DACS. Was that real? Were you actually looking into the "tunnel" area of Epcot?
The DACS room was real, but it's no longer there.

lazyboy97o

Speaking of this - and this is completely off topic - but where are Epcot's, DHS's and AK's versions of DACS? Maybe those parks store each ride's controls locally (at each ride), but I'm sure they still have central control rooms for park audio, parade control, etc.
I believe the idea of DACS has been dropped, with new attractions at the Magic Kingdom and EPCOT Center instead having their own local systems. There is just no need for that kind of space and dedicated climate control system with today's computers. I have heard that some of the old reel-to-reel systems are still sitting within the Magic Kingdom's DACS because the space has not been needed so their is no need to spend the money to move them.

redshoesrock

It was my favorite part of Traditions. When I got to walk in so that we could eat at the cafeteria, (which is really just an underground cafeteria...lol...) I was AMAZED. Since I was going to work at DAK, I wouldn't really ever have the chance/need to go in them again. So I enjoyed it, even as a CM. :)

I had mixed feelings when I was a CM. Initially I thought the tunnels were cool; by the end of my run with Disney it was old hat. My non-Disney friends, though, always wanted to know what they looked like. I would tell them, "You know what the backroom of a store looks like? Extend that into hallways and you've got the idea." As far as the cafeteria, I thought it was a pretty typical cafeteria (I'm referring to the Mouseketeria near the tunnel entrance and not the Backstage Bistro or the other large cafeteria underneath Main Street who's name escapes me)...until I went to the other park's cafeterias. My Disney friends and I would eat at the cast cafeteria if we decided to spend all day at a park; the food is just as good as any quick-service restaurant and it's half the price. While I was never that overwhelmed by Epcot's Discovery Diner, DHS's Take Five Cafe and AK's Pride Rock Cafeteria (IMHO) blew MK's Mouseketeria away.

Tom

Beta Return
I believe the idea of DACS has been dropped, with new attractions at the Magic Kingdom and EPCOT Center instead having their own local systems. There is just no need for that kind of space and dedicated climate control system with today's computers. I have heard that some of the old reel-to-reel systems are still sitting within the Magic Kingdom's DACS because the space has not been needed so their is no need to spend the money to move them.

Question: Where do they actually "run" the parks for Epcot, DHS and AK? There has to be a "central command" type location for parade control, area music audio, security, etc.

I had mixed feelings when I was a CM. Initially I thought the tunnels were cool; by the end of my run with Disney it was old hat. My non-Disney friends, though, always wanted to know what they looked like. I would tell them, "You know what the backroom of a store looks like? Extend that into hallways and you've got the idea." As far as the cafeteria, I thought it was a pretty typical cafeteria (I'm referring to the Mouseketeria near the tunnel entrance and not the Backstage Bistro or the other large cafeteria underneath Main Street who's name escapes me)...until I went to the other park's cafeterias. My Disney friends and I would eat at the cast cafeteria if we decided to spend all day at a park; the food is just as good as any quick-service restaurant and it's half the price. While I was never that overwhelmed by Epcot's Discovery Diner, DHS's Take Five Cafe and AK's Pride Rock Cafeteria (IMHO) blew MK's Mouseketeria away.

Good description - the stock room thing. Heck, they're uglier than most stock rooms, in fact.

tirian

How does sunlight get into the Epcot tunnel?

The Epcot tunnel is basically a slightly curved walkway beneath the two Innoventions halves, with stockrooms and such located below the two sides. Unlike the MK tunnel, there is no "main entrance" where the majority of CMs enter the tunnel; but there is a large entrance for electric vehicles near UoE. Sunlight pours into this entrance, and since the tunnel is practically a straight shot (although it does curve a bit), the sunlight reflects off the walls and into the tunnel.

I know, it's a lot of explanation for a pretty simple concept. :eek:

Just like RedShoesRock said, the MK tunnels become "old hat" very quickly. They're just hallways. You never feel like you're actually underground. Most of the ceilings are at least 10–12 feet tall. This is really praise, not a complaint, because the Utilidoors don't induce claustrophobia.

The MK does still use DACs for some of the park's functions. Epcot was divided years ago, but I don't know all the details. Martin would definitely be able to describe its current system.

On a tangent, I just spoke to an old-timer CM from Epcot who was fondly remembering the Horizons and WoM days. She said she loved the time when "all you had to do was turn them on and—bang—everything worked right, they never broke down, and the rides just made your jaw drop."

Alektronic

Yes, that was real but it was on the floor above the tunnel level.

Epcot Central is still in the same place in Innoventions East. DHS is in the maintenance bldg near Catastrophe Canyon. DAK is in the Vehicle Maintenance Bldg. There is lighting and audio controls in each place but all can be remotely operated now by Maintenance Base located in DHS.

Alektronic

On a tangent, I just spoke to an old-timer CM from Epcot who was fondly remembering the Horizons and WoM days. She said she loved the time when "all you had to do was turn them on and—bang—everything worked right, they never broke down, and the rides just made your jaw drop."

That was when they actually spent a lot of money on maintenance and upkeep. They had enough workers to maintain everything and actually cared about show quality.

Tom

Beta Return
The Epcot tunnel is basically a slightly curved walkway beneath the two Innoventions halves, with stockrooms and such located below the two sides. Unlike the MK tunnel, there is no "main entrance" where the majority of CMs enter the tunnel; but there is a large entrance for electric vehicles near UoE. Sunlight pours into this entrance, and since the tunnel is practically a straight shot (although it does curve a bit), the sunlight reflects off the walls and into the tunnel.

I know, it's a lot of explanation for a pretty simple concept. :eek:

Just like RedShoesRock said, the MK tunnels become "old hat" very quickly. They're just hallways. You never feel like you're actually underground. Most of the ceilings are at least 10–12 feet tall. This is really praise, not a complaint, because the Utilidoors don't induce claustrophobia.

The MK does still use DACs for some of the park's functions. Epcot was divided years ago, but I don't know all the details. Martin would definitely be able to describe its current system.

Thanks again for the great description. I figured it was just ambient light coming in the entrance, but thought - just maybe - there was a skylight or something that went up through an Innovention building.

Epcot Central is still in the same place in Innoventions East. DHS is in the maintenance bldg near Catastrophe Canyon. DAK is in the Vehicle Maintenance Bldg. There is lighting and audio controls in each place but all can be remotely operated now by Maintenance Base located in DHS.

Very interesting - thanks!

I was just wondering what happened to the thread about the trees... Nevermind, I'm here.:lookaroun

Trees got boring. Tunnels are cooler :p

SeaCastle

If I remember correctly, Splash Mountain was the first ride at the Magic Kingdom to not be controlled by DACS (it has its own EER's). No clue how many more attractions that applies to.

Tom

Beta Return
Its probably a stupid question but what does DACS mean?

Digital Animation Control System.

It's the name of the original computer system that ran everything in the MK. If you've ever seen those behind-the-scenes shows on Travel Channel, you've likely seen a demonstration of the system (where the guy plays sounds from the HM).

Originally they used reel-to-reel tapes that ran on a continuous loop, which provided the audio, and the signals to control the AAs. They migrated to computers at some point (not sure when...someone on here does though).

I had the extreme pleasure of going in there once on a Backstage Magic tour many years ago (pre-911). In addition to a huge tour of the utilidors, we got to go in DACS at MK, and stand outside the Parade Control Room while they ran the 3:00 parade.

I've never read another BSM tour report from anyone who has also gone in there on a tour. We had a "substitute" tour guide that day - he was a tiny bit higher up in the food chain than "just a tour guide" (somewhere up in mgmt). No idea why he led our tour, but he had access to several things that aren't typically on the BSM tour. It was definitely worth the $200 that trip!

MiklCraw4d

It was indeed real, but you weren't looking down into tunnels. You were looking down from a catwalk on the 2nd floor level of Communicore. You would walk up a big ramp to get to the attraction. EPCOT Computer Central is still on ground level.

Back in the day, the show controls were on binloops, which were huge pool table-sized covered machines with a big pile of magnetic tape in the middle. The tape would feed out one end of the table, get read, and feed back into the "pile" from the other end. There was a binloop for each attraction. I worked at EPCOT in 1996 and they were in the process of switching from the tapes to more modern storage methods (don't remember if it was optical or hard drives or what). The older rides (Horizons) were still on the binloops, but as attractions got replaced or upgraded they would get updated show control systems.

The coolest thing I saw in there was an empty component rack labeled "Equatorial Africa" :)

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
I had the extreme pleasure of going in there once on a Backstage Magic tour many years ago (pre-911). In addition to a huge tour of the utilidors, we got to go in DACS at MK, and stand outside the Parade Control Room while they ran the 3:00 parade.

I've never read another BSM tour report from anyone who has also gone in there on a tour. We had a "substitute" tour guide that day - he was a tiny bit higher up in the food chain than "just a tour guide" (somewhere up in mgmt). No idea why he led our tour, but he had access to several things that aren't typically on the BSM tour. It was definitely worth the $200 that trip!

I took BSM in 2000 and we hit everything that you mentioned. Actually we were dropped off from the bus and entered from the Fantasyland end and came out near Tony's in Town Square. After seeing the start of the parade on the computers and then seeing it "live" from Town Square, we re-boarded the bus behind the Main Street Expo building. Flashforward to 2010, on BSM, we only entered the utilidoors from behind Center Street and made the loop below Main Street. Not nearly the detail from 10 years earlier.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom