The "For Real Son!" PTR - September-October 2012

Ok, I have been on these boards for several years but never posted a PTR or TR. I have read just about every TR on here and feel like I have a LOT to live up to! My very first PTR was HollyBelle's pre-wedding report and that set the bar HIGH. From there I proceeded to read her wedding TR, sobbing when she finally got to the ceremony! I then found myself devouring TR's from sweetpea, blackthidot, disneyfalcon, fashionista007, fractal, millerpoppins and sooooo many more of you. Thank you guys for sharing your trips....your reports gave me ideas, helped me order my meals and kept me from making (some) of the mistakes you made.

The title for my PTR comes from blackthidot's last TR and his captions on the SSE photos. You will have to go read his TR to get the reference, but suffice it to say that my husband and I just burst out laughing when we read it and I hear "For real son!" at least every 30 minutes at my house! I can't wait to ride SSE and yell "For real son" when we get to the appropriate scene. Yes, we are easily amused! Thanks John for the inspiration for the PTR title and all the laughs!

Now, for a little bit about myself....My name is Heidi and I am *gasp, cough* 42 years old. I am a family law attorney....meaning I do divorces, child custody, child visitation and child support cases with a little dab of dependency, abuse and neglect of children cases thrown in for giggles! My job is often depressing and very draining so I look forward to my escape from reality and heavy dose of happy at WDW. I am self-employed so my hours are wonderful and I do not claim to be overworked or highly stressed. I am blessed and I acknowledge that.

Disney2010095.jpg

Going on the trip with me are:

My husband, Ryan, age 39 (yes, he's younger). Ryan had never been to WDW until our first trip in 2007. He had no real desire to go, but went along with a great attitude. After the first few minutes at WDW, while in the lobby of POR, he was in love! He was amazed, thrilled and had a much better time then he ever anticipated. We vowed to return again and did in 2010. That trip was just as wonderful and we decided that we had to return sooner, so planned our 2012 trip. Ryan is a thrill ride junkie, while I prefer Soarin'.

My sons, Tucker (13) and Will (11). Tucker is an avowed Disney fanatic like his momma and his career plans are to study animation at the California Art Institute (or some such) and work as an animator at Pixar. Lofty goals, but we like to aim high! Will is a soccer mad boy whose entire life revolves around practicing soccer, playing soccer games, watching professional soccer....you get the picture. Will likes WDW but is ready to vacation somewhere else.

IMG_00021.jpg

IMG_00162.jpg

And here's the whole family
Disney2010107.jpg

My father, Fred, and my father's wife, Connie, (I hate to call her my stepmother as it seems to have such negative connotations!) are joining us for part of the trip. They joined us for a few days on our last trip and rather unexpectedly, fell in love with WDW too! I really think they just fell in love with my awesome planning--which gave them short lines, great meals with no wait, secret places to eat with no crowds and a plan everyday. :) Did I mention that I am an obsessive planner??

The fact my father now loves WDW is a source of great amusement to me. My parents took my brother, sister and I to WDW in 1974 (I think) and it was, to put it bluntly, the trip from h*ll! My parents had no hotel reservations and no plan whatsoever. They had lived in CA and visited Disneyland and I think they thought there would tons of hotels near WDW. We arrived at WDW to find the Contemporary (was it the only hotel at WDW in 1974?) booked. We ended up driving to Cocoa Beach to get a hotel room. We drove in to MK for a day and I insisted on wearing my brand, spanking new Mickey Mouse tennis shoes with NO SOCKS! The term "blisters" did not begin to describe what was on my little tender 5 year old feet by the end of a hot day in July. OUCH! My father complained about the endless lines and the terrible food quality...I remember eating a hot dog and chocolate pudding in the Contemporary and my father complaining loudly about the unhealthy food options....good grief, it was 1974, no one had heard of health food yet!!

I have some slides of that trip which I am going to try to post on here. It is pretty cool to see MK nearly 40 years ago. My dad almost threw out all the slides while converting his slides to a DVD recently, but I rescued a few from the trashcan!

Anyhoo...my dad swore WDW was his idea of h*ll on earth and he would never be back. He ate his words in 1984 when he and I returned together for a medical conference he was attending. We stayed at the, then, Buena Vista Palace, near the current DTD and spent lots of time at Epcot, which was the new park. He seemed to thaw a little towards WDW. Never would I imagine he would go with us in 2007 when we jokingly invited him along! I guess old age mellows you, LOL!

Ok, I am going to go ahead and try to post what I have so far. I have no idea what I'm doing and this will probably come up with links to pictures instead of my actual photos. I should have taken a TR tutorial before I tried this or at least read some instructions! Well....here goes!

Billy6

Great PTR! You definitely have some great acts to follow when doing trip reports....but I'm sure you will have your own flare and story telling prowess! Big word I just used!

Ohana and Via Napoli were new for me and my family this year, on our annual June trip. Ohana was fantastic, I wish I had two stomachs there was so much food. We had 8 in our party and had to ask for two desserts! Via Napoli was a last minute ADR for lunch and it didn't disappoint. We had the giant Mezzo Metro pizza there... Awesome pizza... I also met Millerpoppins there..maybe you will see her too...

Billy6

John's still alive. I just texted him make sure lol

I love renting the DVC points. We would have done that this time around but we lucked out and got free dining. Otherwise we would have rented points. We did check to see if they had anything available just to see what we would have for options and they only had Saratoga Springs and we wanted to be at one of the host hotels for the race and SSR is not one of them :(

I'm not sure if Kelly is going to be there. I know she switched her cruise and went in May so I have no clue if she is still going to be doing one in Sept or not. Hopefully! I'd love to see her!!

I can't wait for the girls cruise!! I'd say book the cruise for the whole family and the guys can do their thing and you can come hang out with us ladies!! :)

My fiancé and I are going on our honeymoon on the Fantasy, Sept 22-29, and Kelly was supposed to be on that cruise too but she did change to May. However, I think they are going on one a weekend I get back...

minnielaw

Original Poster
Great PTR! You definitely have some great acts to follow when doing trip reports....but I'm sure you will have your own flare and story telling prowess! Big word I just used!

Ohana and Via Napoli were new for me and my family this year, on our annual June trip. Ohana was fantastic, I wish I had two stomachs there was so much food. We had 8 in our party and had to ask for two desserts! Via Napoli was a last minute ADR for lunch and it didn't disappoint. We had the giant Mezzo Metro pizza there... Awesome pizza... I also met Millerpoppins there..maybe you will see her too...

Thank you, thank you for the kind words! I am struggling with developing my own TR writing style...gotta balance imparting enough information without engaging in verbal diarrhea (unpleasant imagery, sorry!).

I am SO looking forward to Ohana, but am worried about pacing myself so that I leave room for the bread pudding! Bread pudding is one of my favorite desserts and I want to enjoy it! We thoroughly enjoyed Via Napoli also and are making a second visit on this trip. I will definitely be on the lookout for Millerpoppins there...does she work there?

I have yet to recognize anyone from the forums at WDW, but I will have my eyes peeled on this trip. There are a few people who I think I would recognize as I have read several of their TR's. If anyone spots me on this trip, please come say "Hi"! My family will think I'm famous!! ;)

Billy6

Thank you, thank you for the kind words! I am struggling with developing my own TR writing style...gotta balance imparting enough information without engaging in verbal diarrhea (unpleasant imagery, sorry!).

I am SO looking forward to Ohana, but am worried about pacing myself so that I leave room for the bread pudding! Bread pudding is one of my favorite desserts and I want to enjoy it! We thoroughly enjoyed Via Napoli also and are making a second visit on this trip. I will definitely be on the lookout for Millerpoppins there...does she work there?

I have yet to recognize anyone from the forums at WDW, but I will have my eyes peeled on this trip. There are a few people who I think I would recognize as I have read several of their TR's. If anyone spots me on this trip, please come say "Hi"! My family will think I'm famous!! ;)

You're very welcome.... I have yet to create one so you're way ahead of me.

We went to DTD after Ohana and were in food coma/walking dead from all of the food. Bread pudding is my dads favorite and he more than loved it.

I won't divulge what Millerpoppins was doing there, I may blow her cover ;)

I will be getting in a plane back home when you arrive at WDW, so we won't cross paths... My fiancé and I are going on the Fantasy for our honeymoon and that's he day we get back from the cruise. We are staying at WDW one day before the cruise starts on the 21st, and John(blackthidot) and his wife will be there at the same time and we are staying at the same resort. I messages him to get together for a beer or something, so that will be cool if we meet them....

sweetpee_1993

I'm here! Yaaaaayyyy!!! The party shall now begin! I'll pass the loaded frozen lemonade. OMG it was soooo tasty! But I digress...

Girl, your report will be just fine! Don't worry about all the reports you've read. Own it. Make it yours. If you write your TR the way you do your conversational emails with me then these folks are in for a really fun ride! For real! As far as how I go about making it happen:

1. I have total for brains. LOL! Goes right along with your verbal diarhea. We're a match made in heaven. But, because I can't remember a dadgummin' thing even when I *want* to I have to carry a little notebook & take notes. Notes include date, approx time we do stuff, any details I think are noteworthy, and funny stories I want to be sure to not forget. I also like to make notes of my initial impressions of different things. It's mostly chicken-scratch. I could show you pics of my note scrawlin'. Not interesting but it gives you the basic idea. I write the notes every chance I get. If you're waiting for food to come to the table, sitting on a bus, waiting for the kids to go ride E:E for rounds 3-6...you get the idea...I'm scrawlin' out notes.

2. Before I ever leave on vacation I create the file organization in both my external drive and my photobucket account. Basically it's: folder with WDW + (month/year) that contains a folder for each day of the trip. These are so I can dump my pics to the right folder each day and start clean the next day. Late at night dumping the daily pics off the memory card(s) is done while I'm finishing up my notes. I clean the card(s) then set the camera on charge so she's fresh-n-ready for the next day! After I get home I make a quick loop thru my pics day by day, make any adjustments I want, then upload each day to the corresponding day on photobucket. Pics done!

3. In the past I've done the writing part several ways. Once I start posting the report I don't like having big, week-long pauses in between updates. My impatience waiting for updates on TRs I'm loving on here has driven me to feel this crazy urgency to post my reports fairly quickly so people aren't waiting around on me when life gets in the way. We've talked about this. Those TRs that seem to take the writer 6 months + to complete drive me insane! I feel like I'll be dead with no conclusion or happy ending! Ack! So, to avoid stressing over making time to get back to write another update I've tried writing the entire thing (in Word) then copy/pasting. I think that one went up too fast, tho. When you type the report in Word you can go to Photobucket and copy/paste the IMG code to each pic into the exact spot you want it to be in your report. That way when you're copy/pasting into the posts here you just copy down past 10 pics then paste. Easy-peasy. Last report I just winged it, tho. Felt like the thing to do. I say do it however works for you. Just don't take 6 months to do it or I'll hunt you down.... LOL!

How smart are you renting those DVC points?! Go on with yo bad seff, mama! I love the Boardwalk, just not the pool especially at night. Yikes!

Yay for Tucker and his letter to Mr. Lasseter! How sweet that he got an autographed pic! Love it!

Oh! The slides! Take 'em to Walmart or whatever drug store has film developing service. They offer conversion services. I used Walmart to do the VHS tape of Brian's birth to DVD. I was a total basket case waiting for the DVD & tape to come back. I just knew my tape would get lost because it's something so priceless. Anywhoo, there's lots of services that will convert your slides to .jpeg files for you. Tons online. Once you get the files just upload them to whatever online photo hosting site you use and proceed as usual. My grampa was big into photography. There's boxes and boxes of slides, thousands and thousands, many from WDW throughout the 80s that we need to get converted. I did the math once with the best per slide price I could find. It'd cost us thousands to have it done. But then I don't know that any of us would be up to doing the work ourselves if I bought the equipment. Ya know?

Loved reading your line-up and itinerary! I soooo wish we could meet up but like I told ya, I'm not asking aaaanyone to sacrifice precious WDW time to come to the airport to see me on the days I'll be passing thru. Sad face!

Oh I know how your boys want to do that cruise. They'd stinkin' love it. I know the mom-guilt all too well, too. I wish you could make it on the girls cruise. Just think, you could book a trip for your family with the onboard booking discount (10% off, 10% deposit (vs. the usual 20%, & good onboard credits to spend when you cruise). Plus, it could be a mom-sanity-rejuvenation thing. Sometimes ya just gotta do something special for yourself because you deserve it. As much as the boys wish they were going with us on our cruise in September they also are super-sweet and happy for us to have the time together. Then, with the girls cruise, they wish they were cruising, too, but then they are like their dad and want to pamper mom by sending me off to have a little getaway. I'm tellin' ya, I love being the princess of the house! These Prince Charmings are all the very bestest!

I can't wait to read your upcoming report! Gonna be so much fun!!!!! TTYS!

minnielaw

Original Poster
Sweetpea's in the HOUSE....party starts!!! :D Thanks for the frozen lemonade...yummy! So glad you joined me on this journey. These next 75 days are going to be tough to get through...I just wanna BE there, ya know? ADR's are made, itinerary kinda planned out and now I'm just twiddling my thumbs. I know time will speed back up when school starts and Will is busy with soccer, Tucker with golf and I am running from practice to game to practice. Then, I will wake up one morning, look at my countdown calendar and say "Holy sh*t! We're leaving in 20 days!! I haven't done anything to get ready! Where did the time go??" ALWAYS, ALWAYS, sneaks up on me. But, I am a first class procrastinator...so, it works for me. ;)

Thank you, thank you, thank you, for the suggestions on the notes, photo download and how to actually do the TR. I am hoping that since we get back in October, I will have some down time to do the TR before the holidays set in. I will definitely get the little notebook to take notes in or use my notebook app on my phone...nope, gonna use a real notebook, not the phone app. I don't know if I can download my pics everyday while in WDW. We're not bringing a laptop so I'll have to do that at home.

I think I will type my TR in Word also and then cut and paste onto the forum. I agree totally about waiting on TR's.....oh, the anticipation! I thought I would die waiting on Holly to get married! When I read your TR's they were already finished....except the last two, that I read along with as you posted. I check everyday to see if Newfiefan has updated her new TR....I hate it when I check because I see that the writer has made an entry, only to see that they have merely responded to comments and there is NOTHING NEW to read! AAAACCCKKK!

Not sure how smart I was renting the DVC points, seeing as how now my boys will miss a week of school! I coulda shot the school board for moving Fall Break...I mean for 8 years it has been the first week of October and the one year that I choose, for the FIRST TIME, to plan a vacation that is NON-REFUNDABLE they choose to move Fall Break. What are the odd? Apparently very good odds if you're me! Anyhoo, I am gonna meet with the principal first thing when school starts, and beg for excused absences and some sort of educational credit. The good thing is that when we get back, the boys will have a week off school (for the real Fall Break) in which they can do their homework and complete the educational project.

I am THRILLED with the Boardwalk location, but not so much with the CREEPY clown head on the pool slide! YIKES! I have ALWAYS hated clowns and that thing is like my nightmare brought to life....good think we're not big pool people. Honestly, when I made the DVC reservation request, I never thought I wouldn't get my first choice, AKL. I just sort of threw in BWV's because I had to have a second choice and Yacht and Beach were too expensive. I was pretty bummed when I got the email that I now had a reservation at BWV's. I had to research what the hotel even looked like inside. I am a little worried about the room because the photos I have seen show a room that needs some TLC. The location is killer though and we don't spend much time in the rooms. The joy in knowing I can walk to Epcot whenever I want is pretty substantial!! SWEET :D

That letter from Pixar and the autographed photo were SUCH a thrill for Tucker! I honestly didn't think anyone would even respond or if they did, that he would get a generic form letter. That's why we love them..they have that Disney touch!

Oh, the slides. I actually discovered the WDW slides as my dad and I were organizing his slides to send off somewhere to be made into a DVD. He had actually already thrown away several WDW slides that were "just of buildings" (as he put it). ACK! I would love to have seen those and the changes since then. You sound incredibly knowledgeable about the slide conversion thing, so I may have to pick your brain. I tried to read that paragraph you wrote about the slides, but all I could hear was "Wa wa wa, wa wa wa wa." You know, like Charlie Brown's teacher? I totally am technologically handicapped!

Ah, cruising. The boys HAVE been begging us for years to join our friends on their yearly Fall Break cruise. This summer our group of friends went on a Carnival cruise the first week of June to the Bahamas and the boys were BEGGING to go along. 39 of our friends and their kids were going. Now, to me that sounded like pure h*ll. I do NOT want to go on a vacation with half of the town. The purpose of a vacation is to GET AWAY! At first, the boys understood because Ryan couldn't take off during the summer when he worked at Sea Ray. However, when he changed jobs, the boys started asking again. I was almost considering it but we decided to save the money and go to my dad's place in SC. Let's just say, I made the right choice. When the group returned they were kinda subdued about the trip...yes, it was fun; yes, there were some "personalty conflicts". I looked at the trip pictures and good lord it looked like misery! The ship was old and run down...looked like a cheap casino off the strip in Vegas. In most of the pics the group was just standing or sitting around waiting for something. The shore excursions consisted of being taken in a van/bus to a hotel pool and left for the day. YUCK! I am trying to convince them that it is worth it to cruise only ever other year and pick a Disney cruise. Twice as expensive, but twice or three times, as nice. Seriously, that cruise looked like my idea of h*ll. NEVER!

Your rationale on the girls cruise makes perfect sense. I can go cheaper alone and then book a return cruise with the family AT A DISCOUNT! How could I NOT go?? Hmmm....maybe this would provide the incentive I so desperately need to get serious about my diet. After starving myself for the past month, I have lost a grand total of 9 pounds. :mad: I should be at my goal weight by now, right? 70 pounds in a month ain't too much ask??? I digress.....

So glad you're along for the ride and I hope the read is worth it! I'm gonna have to find something to talk about for the next 75 days or it's gonna get really quiet on here. Maybe I should fiddle with my ADR's or something? I am contemplating the Dining with an Imagineer for Tucker. I will check into that and let you know! See ya soon!

minnielaw

Original Poster
Since we are now 2 months out, I have done a few more trip related things recently. I made my reservations for the hotel on our way down and the way home. I have printed out my WDW Itinerary and updated a few of the packing lists (mine and my youngest son's).

Next up is purchasing our DDP. Since we are renting DVC points, I have to purchase Disney gift cards for the cost of the DDP and then the DVC owner uses the gift cards to purchase the DDP and add it to our reservation.

Does anyone know the best place to purchase Disney gift cards? I wanted to purchase them from Kroger as I would receive 4X's the purchase price in gas points. Every 100 points gives you $.10 off per gallon of gasoline purchased at Kroger. That would be a lot of extra gas points with $1,500 worth of gift cards!! :D Unfortunately, it appears that our Kroger only sells Disney gift cards in pre-set amounts...$25 or $50. I don't think the DVC owner would appreciate it if I sent him/her a stack of 30 gift cards to use to pay for our DDP! :eek:

Just curious if there were any special offers on Disney gift cards right now. I know the Disney Store used to offer an additional $10 gift card with every $100 or so spent. With $1,500 to put on a gift card, any perk could really add up! Thanks for the suggestions/ideas....I really appreciate any you guys can offer.

I also need to purchase my park tickets, but may wait a few weeks to do this. I could shoot myself for not purchasing the tickets before the price increase! I think I just wasn't sure that I could order them and not use them for several months...not sure why I thought that...but, there you go. Should have asked you guys! I have always booked a package through Disney and this is the first time that I have had to piecemeal the trip.
Undercover Tourist seemed to have the best prices on the tickets and I felt like they are reputable since they advertise on WDWMagic. My dad and step-mom ordered their tickets from Undercover Tourist and received their 5th day free...also no shipping on the tickets.

Lastly, I did check on the Dine with an Imagineer and not surprisingly, there was no availability at this point. Oh well, something to try on a future trip!

minnielaw

Original Poster
Loving this TR! So much more detail than mine :D

Although my dining report will be my crown jewel ;)

Thanks Crush!! What my trip lacks in length it will make up for in detail :p Wish I was taking a three week trip to the world....so jealous!

Yes, I fully expect your food report to be EPIC in scope! I just hope I can remember to take pics of my food and keep my husband and boys from digging in before I can snap a photo!

sweetpee_1993

Awwww...dang! Wish you coulda scored that Lunch with an Imagineer. Tracey & I did it in May 08. Awesome meal, great group, interesting Imagineer. Reminded me a lot of my Grampa.

Uh, yeah, if you're into Disney you should try cruising with them. Fall break for your boys would actually be a good time to go. As is August. There were a lot of discounts this summer that sorta surprised me. This fall they're rolling out some great rates, too. I just got us a 6 category upgrade plus a $380 refund. Woot! And just in case...just puting it out there....May 25, 2013 Fantasy Western....we can hit all the beverage tastings & mixology's together....they'll think we're partners in crime...LOL!

minnielaw

Original Poster
35 more days!! I am so ready to go, but so NOT ready....no packing done and lots of "stuff" left to purchase. I am a champion procrastinator so I will wait until the last minute as always.

Received my DVC confirmation of my DDP purchase in the mail today. I ended up buying $1,500 worth of Disney gift cards at the Disney store to use for the DDP purchase. I was unable to find any kind of incentive or bonus connected to the gift card except at Kroger. Kroger is a regional grocery store chain and offers 4X's fuel points on the purchase of gift cards. However, the largest Disney gift card denomination they sell is $50...we would have had to buy 29 to pay for our DDP!! The DVC owner probably wouldn't have appreciated having to deal with giving 29 gift card codes to the Disney folks. :eek:

Not sure if I receive a Disney packet in the mail at 30 days out like I did when I purchased the Magic Your Way package. Does anyone know if Disney sends a packet for a DVC rental? We also booked one night at the POFQ at the end of our trip, so I guess Disney will send something for that.

Ordered our park tickets today...8 day Park Hoppers from Undercover Tourist. Woo hoo!!

Now I get to make myself sick watching for food pictures from Crush Dude and waiting for realmadhatter to post his pictures! I actually made a list of WDW Snacks using the Easy Note app like Crush Dude....I just keep adding more things every day! Today it was the peanut butter chocolate cake at Boardwalk Bakery. YUM!

I need to start buying my "sundries" and assembling a first aid kit.....alison, I need your expertise here!

minnielaw

Original Poster
Update....

Finished my Educational Enhancement Opportunity applications for the boys today. If you recall, I planned this trip during the week that is normally Fall Break for my boys. Lo and behold, Fall Break was moved up one week and we could not reschedule. So...for my boys to have excused absences for the 5 days they will miss, I have to apply for a waiver by explaining why this trip is an Educational Enhancement Opportunity. With some help from some of you posters I found some great ideas for explaining the educational benefits of WDW.

It took me over 2 hours, but I completed the applications with a 3 page attachment! I am a wordy nerd! :D If anyone is interested, I would be happy to post and/or email you a copy...I am more than happy to share if it can help someone else. Only 33 more days!!

sweetpee_1993

Update....

Finished my Educational Enhancement Opportunity applications for the boys today. If you recall, I planned this trip during the week that is normally Fall Break for my boys. Lo and behold, Fall Break was moved up one week and we could not reschedule. So...for my boys to have excused absences for the 5 days they will miss, I have to apply for a waiver by explaining why this trip is an Educational Enhancement Opportunity. With some help from some of you posters I found some great ideas for explaining the educational benefits of WDW.

It took me over 2 hours, but I completed the applications with a 3 page attachment! I am a wordy nerd! :D If anyone is interested, I would be happy to post and/or email you a copy...I am more than happy to share if it can help someone else. Only 33 more days!!

You know I wanna see what you wrote for your application! Can ya email it to me??? I don't think you can get to wordy for me...remember my 26 typed pages for Chandler's thing with the school board? Some of us mommas leave nothing to the imagination. We spell it out and put it in your face. Not a thing wrong with that! LOL!

33 days! Well, 32 today! I'm 31 days out today! Ain't it exciting?! My heart just skipped a beat!

minnielaw

Original Poster
You know I wanna see what you wrote for your application! Can ya email it to me??? I don't think you can get to wordy for me...remember my 26 typed pages for Chandler's thing with the school board? Some of us mommas leave nothing to the imagination. We spell it out and put it in your face. Not a thing wrong with that! LOL!

33 days! Well, 32 today! I'm 31 days out today! Ain't it exciting?! My heart just skipped a beat!

You KNOW I will email it to you! Can't say it's particularly impressive, but much better than the sample letter I found online. I addressed every subject the boys are taking and described the attractions/rides/shows that we will experience that relate to that subject. I must admit that Language Arts (reading) was the most difficult! I shoulda just written "the boys will have to read LOTS of signs and exhibit markers while at WDW"!! Lol ;-D

Yes, it is so exciting that our trips are so close!! Can't wait to see your adults only cruise TR...but maybe you won't be taking so many pics on this trip...or maybe not pics you can post. ;-D

Still wish we could figure out how to cross paths. I guess I'm just gonna have to take the boys on a road trip to Texas. :)

minnielaw

Original Poster
lol...thanks for sharing this! :)
75.gif

You are very welcome! I worked hard to make it sound like WDW is the most educational destination in the world! I made the boys read the application and they were impressed that they will be learning so much while on vacation! ;)

minnielaw

Original Poster
11 days to go!!!!

I have not posted in a few weeks, so thought I would update before we leave. We are now 11 days out and I will doing online check-in in two days...why 2 days you ask, when tomorrow we will be 10 days to go?? Well, that's because we are driving down and won't be in WDW until the 29th, so 10 days before check-in is Wednesday. Hmmm, not very interesting tidbit. :oops:

To add to the pre-trip stress, I was diagnosed with pneumonia last Wednesday...seriously. I was having chest pain, SOB and pain between my shoulder blades....googled "pain between the shoulder blades"...note to self, NEVER google your symptoms! The page filled with heart attack websites! I got really freaked out and decided to go to the doctor the next day if I didn't feel any better.
Just for some background....my dad is a doctor and as children we NEVER went to the doctor....my dad just took care of whatever we needed. So, I have an aversion to doctors, medicine and hospitals. My doctor is a friend of mine and we were sorority sisters, so I can handle going to see her....I just treat it like a friendly visit for a little chat!

Anyhoo....I tell her my symptoms and she looks worried, leans out the door and whispers to her nurse, "Can you go pick up my kids at school?" Ugh...what does that mean?? She ran an EKG, which was fine...YAY!! Then blood work and a chest x-ray. The chest x-ray showed the pneumonia so she put me on strong antibiotics and told me to rest. I told her I was leaving for WDW in 2 weeks and needed to be better by then. She scheduled me for a repeat x-ray the day before we leave. Short side note--on our first trip to WDW, we were in MK for the MNSSHP and boarding the boats for It's a Small World when I looked up and there was my doctor and her family boarding the boat directly in front of us. We saw each other and both said out loud..."What a small world!". Corny, I know...but kinda humorous! What are the odds???

I have been trying to rest, but it's kinda hard to do when you work full-time and have over-extended yourself on the volunteer front. I have been resting as much as I can and going to bed early every night.
On the trip planning front, I have made my trip binder and am done tinkering with my ADR's. I did add a breakfast at Ohana for our last Friday....gotta try some Tonga Toast!! I am thinking we may try Captain's Grille for breakfast one morning on our way to Epcot. Sweetpea gave it such high praise and I value her opinion!

One sad thing about renting DVC points is no Mickey Mail. :( I contacted the DVC rental site after reaching day 15 with no Mickey Mail. They said unless I had arranged for DME that I would not receive the luggage tags...oh well, I guess getting the room at only $120 a night is better than Mickey Mail. Still...I was looking forward to the cool, new, red luggage tags! I have gathered most of my WDW specific "stuff" that I need for the trip...rain ponchos, travel sized sundries, Disney stickers, etc. I can't thank everyone on this site enough for all the packing ideas...thanks to you guys, I am now taking a scented candle (in case the room smells funky), a nightlight, enough first aid supplies to open a small medic facility and Purex 3-in-1 laundry sheets. Seriously, my packing list has swollen to two pages, single spaced, small font. :) And that's just MY list...my husband and boys each have their own list.

minnielaw

Original Poster
Thought I would share my WDW Snack List with you guys! I got the idea from Crush Dude, who got it from ShookieJones...so my thanks to both of you guys!!

I used the Easy Notes app on my Iphone and I am SO looking forward to checking these babies off the list! I may be a little optimistic in the sheer quantity of food that I think I can consume in 9 days....but I have three people with me who I will "encourage" to use their snack credits for some of the snacks listed. ;) So, here goes...my list:

Picture209.png

CopyofPicture210.png

Picture211.png

Picture212.png

Picture213.png

I will need more than Crush Dude's elastic waist pants if I can manage to sample all those goodies...but boy, I'm gonna give it a good ole college try!!

I promise to take lots of food pics..assuming I can keep everyone from eating the food as soon as it hits the table.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom