The Flu 😷

Kristamouse

Original Poster
Good Morning:) The reports on the news, from my Husband that works in a hospital and various Disney Groups on FB have me super nrevous.
My family of 8 leaves next week. Currently we are all healthy. We did not receive the flu shot and it seems like a it’s not working anyway. Our 13yo had what we suspect of the flu right after Christmas, we treated the symptoms, keep in contact with our Pediatrician and he slept. Per advice from our Pediatrician we are taking Elderberry and Pro Biotics (the later we all ready.) I also purchased the Purell Professional Spray that kills the flu and norovirus In 30secs.
My question for all of you that visit the parks regularly and live locally, is the flu in the area widespread? Are the parks full of flu stricken people?
Am I just being an over worried Mom?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
This years prevalent strain is H3N2 (Type A) which rapidly mutates its surface proteins which is how antibodies identify and neutralize these viruses. While not as effective, the vaccine significantly decreases the mortality rate of those who receive it.

You can purchase have all the antiviral sprays you want but unless you walk around in a continuous cloud of it, you will be exposed to the Flu and lots of other airborne illnesses in Disneyworld from around the globe. Homeopathic remedies are wishful thinking.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
This years prevalent strain is H3N2 (Type A) which rapidly mutates its surface proteins which is how antibodies identify and neutralize these viruses. While not as effective, the vaccine significantly decreases the mortality rate of those who receive it.

You can purchase have all the antiviral sprays you want but unless you walk around in a continuous cloud of it, you will be exposed to the Flu and lots of other airborne illnesses in Disneyworld from around the globe. Homeopathic remedies are wishful thinking.
Homeopathic remedies are not even that good. They are quite literally nothing. Once you get past a 7x tincture (most range from 20x to 200x) there is a statistically zero chance of even one molecule of the active ingredient being present. Not that the "active ingredient" they use does anything to begin with. (they use duck liver for their flu "medicine") Homeopathy is magical thinking at best.

Your advice of getting the flu shot is spot on. Given the option of wearing a bullet proof vest that only stops 20% of the bullets shot at it is much better odds than wearing a t-shirt that stops none of them.

KBLovedDisney

:( I am very prone to getting the flu. After getting the flu two years in a row + (and a few times in high school...I honestly don't remember how many times I have gotten the flu in my life), and the hubs getting it after a work trip a couple of years ago, we both started getting the flu shot. The shot does help, a lot. Neither of us have gotten the flu since. I will still get head colds, but nothing like flu symptoms.

dreamfinder

Be smart. Wash hands, don't push yourself to much if you start to get worn down, stay well hyrdrated. And it's not necessarily WDW that will get you, but the airplane. The recycled air from 100+ people means odds are someone is sick with something.

Homeopathic remedies are not even that good. They are quite literally nothing. Once you get past a 7x tincture (most range from 20x to 200x) there is a statistically zero chance of even one molecule of the active ingredient being present. Not that the "active ingredient" they use does anything to begin with. (they use duck liver for their flu "medicine") Homeopathy is magical thinking at best.

Keep in mind though that homeopathy != natural/non-medicinal remedies. Probiotics and the like can indeed help your immune system. I wouldn't rely solely on them for fighting the flu, but they help make it stronger to better fight things off.

Captain Barbossa

I've only had the flu shot once, about 15 years ago. I've only had the flu once since then. I don't regularly get flu shots. There have been a lot of my family and friends that have gotten the flu shot and either had an allergic reaction or a few weeks later they ended up with the flu. I also know of someone who became paralyzed do to a flu shot (I know that's unusual).

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Be smart. Wash hands, don't push yourself to much if you start to get worn down, stay well hyrdrated. And it's not necessarily WDW that will get you, but the airplane. The recycled air from 100+ people means odds are someone is sick with something.

Keep in mind though that homeopathy != natural/non-medicinal remedies. Probiotics and the like can indeed help your immune system. I wouldn't rely solely on them for fighting the flu, but they help make it stronger to better fight things off.
Homeopathy is not a natural herb, alt med, etc remedy. Unfortunately, even Merriam-Webster does not really get it right.

Homeopathy is a very specific type of snake oil that would need almost everything we know about science, physics and chemistry to be wrong to even have a chance of working. They might start with "natural" substances, but that is where the similarity ends.

This link will give you a more in-depth look at what homeopathy is, but the Readers Digest version is not only are the substances they claim will cure you ineffective, they are diluted to the point were there is nothing of the substance left in the pill they sell. The Boiron Oscillococcinum Homeopathic flu medicine they sell at CVS and Walgreens for $20 is nothing more than a few cents worth of lactose powder pills.

Kristamouse

Original Poster
So getting back to my question, is any one currently in or recently visitied the parks? I have read FB posts so of mask use and visibly sick people.
Came here for some real updates as the FB Disney Pages can be a little over the top...

dreamfinder

Homeopathy is not a natural herb, alt med, etc remedy. Unfortunately, even Merriam-Webster does not really get it right.

Oh yeah, I totally get and know what homeopathy is. Those lovely non existent tinctures that our child care offers to use for gas as they can't/won't dispense any legit medicine. Was as much clarifying as the OP mentioned taking elderberry and probiotics, both of which (at least in my experience) aren't homeopathy. I didn't want anyone to think that those were. (My use of != may have been esoteric, but means doesn't equal)

MrConbon

So getting back to my question, is any one currently in or recently visitied the parks? I have read FB posts so of mask use and visibly sick people.
Came here for some real updates as the FB Disney Pages can be a little over the top...

I was there yesterday and seemed like any other day in the parks. I couldn’t see anyone who visibly looked any more ill than the common cold

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom