The fate of Star Tours?

Casper Gutman

The question is, is "year or two" dictated by "we want to sop up the overflow of SWL excitement" or is it dictated by "we have a great new attraction in mind and the soonest we can put it there is a year or two after SWL."

I suspect the former.

I know it will never happen, but the most appealing suggestion is one that resurfaces here from time to time - ST should be absorbed into Muppet Land, perhaps with (as some have suggested) a Pigs in Space theme - the ship then crashes through muppetised parodies of several different movies, of course.

A hybrid of ST and the old Great Muppet Movie Ride concept - yeah, that's the ticket.

Phicinfan

First I would LOVE to see Pigs in Space in it, I think that could be absolutely hilarious if done correctly.

But my gut says that won't happen. I do believe we will instead get some Marvel(by Marvel I am thinking Big Hero Six or Dr. Strange) or maybe some Indy adventure. I know there has been some chatter of getting SOME Marvel into the parks.

HauntedMansionFLA

First I would LOVE to see Pigs in Space in it, I think that could be absolutely hilarious if done correctly.

But my gut says that won't happen. I do believe we will instead get some Marvel(by Marvel I am thinking Big Hero Six or Dr. Strange) or maybe some Indy adventure. I know there has been some chatter of getting SOME Marvel into the parks.
Is Muppets closer to ST than IJSS?

Casper Gutman

What's amazing about the push to get SOME Marvel into the parks is that the vision is incredibly limited. Marvel - and SW - are huge phenomenons matched only by Potter (and I'd argue even Potter doesn't really compete). The entertainment industry has never seen anything like the consistent popularity of either franchise. Disney should be looking to exploit both incredibly valuable properties to the maximum extent possible - we shouldn't be talking about one SW land, we should be talking about several or a whole SW park. We REALLY shouldn't be talking about cheap Marvel overlays on decades old attractions (I'm looking at you, DCA ToT).

Disney purchased and developed the Tiffanys of media franchise and is trying to display them in a cardboard box they picked up out of the gutter. Millions of people are screaming "take our money" and Disney is chopping budgets. Why spend billions for IPs you won't spend money to exploit?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Is Muppets closer to ST than IJSS?

Star Tours is right next to Muppets, but it's entrance is oriented towards Indy. If something new went into Indy I would bet it would also take over Backlot in the same theme, so Star Tours could round out the area. All of this is of course speculation.

upload_2017-4-23_19-36-4-png.201033

danlb_2000

Premium Member
What's amazing about the push to get SOME Marvel into the parks is that the vision is incredibly limited. Marvel - and SW - are huge phenomenons matched only by Potter (and I'd argue even Potter doesn't really compete). The entertainment industry has never seen anything like the consistent popularity of either franchise. Disney should be looking to exploit both incredibly valuable properties to the maximum extent possible - we shouldn't be talking about one SW land, we should be talking about several or a whole SW park. We REALLY shouldn't be talking about cheap Marvel overlays on decades old attractions (I'm looking at you, DCA ToT).

Disney purchased and developed the Tiffanys of media franchise and is trying to display them in a cardboard box they picked up out of the gutter. Millions of people are screaming "take our money" and Disney is chopping budgets. Why spend billions for IPs you won't spend money to exploit?

Yeah, I always think of this when people talk about Disney trying to get the rights back from Universal. Disney has owned Marvel for 9 years now and they really haven't done anything major with it in any of the parks where they can use it.

FigmentJedi

Star Tours stays with new rockwork for a different environment than SWL. Sadly, Muppets will be toast to focus on the various SW cartoons. Kids love it and it do great in retail and dining.
The cartoons aren't a separate thing from the rest of the Star Wars universe and in fact, it actually looks like characters originating in animated material will be showing up in Star Wars Land with a live-action facelift if that mask sculpt looking like Hondo Ohnaka in the Behind the Scenes video is any indication.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The cartoons aren't a separate thing from the rest of the Star Wars universe and in fact, it actually looks like characters originating in animated material will be showing up in Star Wars Land with a live-action facelift if that mask sculpt looking like Hondo Ohnaka in the Behind the Scenes video is any indication.

Yeah, Jedi Training Academy has been using one of the villains from Rebels for a while now.

HauntedMansionFLA

Yeah, I always think of this when people talk about Disney trying to get the rights back from Universal. Disney has owned Marvel for 9 years now and they really haven't done anything major with it in any of the parks where they can use it.
Is it even possible to have a Marvel resort at WDW since it's not inside the park? They had wrap on the monorail doing the MK but not EPCOT since it went the park. They have done some thing at Disney Springs.

HMF

I would prefer it to stay that way and what they are doing to Tower of Terror does not sway me toward accepting Marvel in the parks, quite the contrary in fact.

UpAllNight

I didn't want to start a new thread for this and it's kind of relevant here but are there any indications about what direction they'll take with all the other Star Wars dining areas, shops, launch bay, fireworks shows, stage shows, Force of the Jedi once the new land opens? Because at the moment they've just put it anywhere they can.

They're not going to open a Star Wars land and have it supported by Star Wars everywhere else too...right?

Omegadiz

I didn't want to start a new thread for this and it's kind of relevant here but are there any indications about what direction they'll take with all the other Star Wars dining areas, shops, launch bay, fireworks shows, stage shows, Force of the Jedi once the new land opens? Because at the moment they've just put it anywhere they can.

They're not going to open a Star Wars land and have it supported by Star Wars everywhere else too...right?
I would assume that the star wars fireworks will continue throughout the season. So if the land opens in May, it would continue through the summer and then fade into a more extravagant version of Disney Movie Magic in the fall. Or if it opens in fall or winter, then the same would happen by spring. I'd wouldn't think the launch bay would go, but with more movies coming out, I'm not entirely sure because in the concept art, it doesn't look like they'd have a space dedicated to m&g but I could have missed it. The land has 2 restaurants I believe so they'll probably cut down on the dining area, but not completely as they'll need to absorb people. As for the streetmosphere in the middle of the park, I'd expect it to be in full force during the opening season of the land, but then only be random or for special events there as there should be ample room for it in the land. What makes it weird is that IF the Jedi Training academy really does go into the Sounds Dangerous theater coupled with however long ST stays, there won't really much of a clear disconnected between SWL and the Hub because that area of the park just kinda bleeds into each other so until Disney figured out what it's doing with the rest of DHS, they may cut down on the current temporary options, but we probably won't notice all that much

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I can't see anything SW staying outside of SWL after its opening, Star Tours will get rethemed no doubt and the Jedi Academy will go away or that whole area will go away for a new themed section (possibly). @marni1971 I know it probably isn't even a possibility but would Muppets fit into where Tours and Academy currently sits ?

Omegadiz

I'll be shocked if the idea doesn't come up again after the new movie comes out.
As Great as Indy is - Its my FAVORITE attraction at the DIsneyland Resort - I wouldnt want to see an Indy clone. Besides, technically we already have that. I'd like to see them try something different for Indy. Maybe a water-based EMV with an original story. IF that were to happen WDW would definitely want Paris to get it too to share the cost ;p;

Kman101

As Great as Indy is - Its my FAVORITE attraction at the DIsneyland Resort - I wouldnt want to see an Indy clone. Besides, technically we already have that. I'd like to see them try something different for Indy. Maybe a water-based EMV with an original story. IF that were to happen WDW would definitely want Paris to get it too to share the cost ;p;

I've been longing for an Indy water ride at DHS. Sigh.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom