The fastpass attendants don't play!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee

Adventurer
FYI...

I'm told that as the move to NextGen queues continues, you can expect both ends of the return window to start being enforced.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
FYI...

I'm told that as the move to NextGen queues continues, you can expect both ends of the return window to start being enforced.

I really hope not... Unless they allow you to somehow pre-select your FP window.

The main reason that I appreciate the non-enforcement of the end of the window is that if I arrive at say 2PM for a Soarin' FP and the window is 6:45-7:45, if I have a 7PM ADR at Le Cellier that I made six months prior, that FP would be useless to me. Trying to return later to get a more suitable time might not be convenient or they may have run out. The open-return means I can go to my ADR, eat at a comfortable pace and make my way to the attraction with my slightly-expired FP.

MDenham

I really hope not... Unless they allow you to somehow pre-select your FP window.

The main reason that I appreciate the non-enforcement of the end of the window is that if I arrive at say 2PM for a Soarin' FP and the window is 6:45-7:45, if I have a 7PM ADR at Le Cellier that I made six months prior, that FP would be useless to me. Trying to return later to get a more suitable time might not be convenient or they may have run out. The open-return means I can go to my ADR, eat at a comfortable pace and make my way to the attraction with my slightly-expired FP.
Sounds like a (usually acceptable) solution would be to simply increase the window to two hours.

G00fyDad

FYI...

I hope so. :sohappy:

Keep in mind, I am not trying to start an argument on the FP system :) (God knows we've seen enough of that garbage) but how is this a problem? Each time we go we know when our ADRs are and do not get a FP if the return time is during that ADR time. We come back later (maybe 20 or 30 minutes since we are still in that area of the park) and the return time will have changed to a more suitable time.

JIMINYCR

I just would like to say to that CM and the countless others who enforce the rules THANK YOU :sohappy: You are appreciated by me and countless others who follow the rules, rules that are set up for our benefit. I always feel sorry for those CM's who have to listen to those guests who think the rules don't apply to them. Again I appreciate your diligence in seeing that things operate as they are meant to.

Thrill Seeker

Exactly.

Yeah, you read me right all you ride operators allowing flash photography!!!

I hate that so much... Especially on the Great Movie Ride where flashing cameras can cause a safety hazard for our performers!

As for Fastpass, I am what you would call a Fastpass Nazi. No coming in until your window starts, period, no exceptions.

rct247

Exceptions are terrible at a place as busy as the Magic Kingdom. If you let one person/family have an exception with ANYTHING then someone else saw you make that exception and will share with someone who will then argue that an exception be made for them. At what point would you have to draw the line.

If you let in Fastpasses 1 minute early because it is one minute what would 2 minutes early hurt? If you have reservations in 20 minutes, what about those that have reservation in 30 minutes? If you make an exception for those with reservations, what about those that made plans to meet their families somewhere or have a plane to catch or it will be too late for their young kids or you have an emergency?

The time is clearly posted when you got it. The rules are clearly stated on the back. The system is designed to work specific way to be efficient. The time window allows you to pick anytime in between those times for convenience. I don't see the problem.

Too many exceptions are made everyday all over the world. Just stick to a rule and enforce it to be fair to everyone.

Magical.Animal

Exceptions are terrible at a place as busy as the Magic Kingdom. If you let one person/family have an exception with ANYTHING then someone else saw you make that exception and will share with someone who will then argue that an exception be made for them. At what point would you have to draw the line.

If you let in Fastpasses 1 minute early because it is one minute what would 2 minutes early hurt? If you have reservations in 20 minutes, what about those that have reservation in 30 minutes? If you make an exception for those with reservations, what about those that made plans to meet their families somewhere or have a plane to catch or it will be too late for their young kids or you have an emergency?

The time is clearly posted when you got it. The rules are clearly stated on the back. The system is designed to work specific way to be efficient. The time window allows you to pick anytime in between those times for convenience. I don't see the problem.

Too many exceptions are made everyday all over the world. Just stick to a rule and enforce it to be fair to everyone.

This is a pet peeve of mine... The exceptions are becoming the rules and the rules are becoming the exception!

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Keep in mind, I am not trying to start an argument on the FP system :) (God knows we've seen enough of that garbage) but how is this a problem? Each time we go we know when our ADRs are and do not get a FP if the return time is during that ADR time. We come back later (maybe 20 or 30 minutes since we are still in that area of the park) and the return time will have changed to a more suitable time.

No argument, but if I cross a park to get FPs, then waiting around for an unknown period until the available window is more suitable isn't really an option. With the current policy it's not an issue. If they start enforcing the end of the window it becomes a problem. Also, if something unforeseeable should happen that delays you getting back to the ride, the current policy means less disappointment.

As I said, if they change and allow you to select from different available upcoming windows, that would generally be OK with me. But trying to figure out when to go to get an FP window that works perfectly with the rest of your day's schedule without an accurate smart phone app that tells you makes it a gamble.

G00fyDad

No argument, but if I cross a park to get FPs, then waiting around for an unknown period until the available window is more suitable isn't really an option. With the current policy it's not an issue. If they start enforcing the end of the window it becomes a problem. Also, if something unforeseeable should happen that delays you getting back to the ride, the current policy means less disappointment.

As I said, if they change and allow you to select from different available upcoming windows, that would generally be OK with me. But trying to figure out when to go to get an FP window that works perfectly with the rest of your day's schedule without an accurate smart phone app that tells you makes it a gamble.

Point made. :) I can see that being frustrating. Unfortunately, even if they come out with the XPass system, there will still be those that do not like it. Disney will never be able to please everyone all the time. There are plenty of things that they do that annoy me. :)

Laura

Premium Member

At Magic Mountain they gave us (well we paid mucho $$ for) this neat little electronic device from which we were able to select a line to virtually "queue up" for without having to go to the attraction itself. The amount of time you had to wait for your "return time" was pretty much equal to the actual wait time. So if one ride had a 2 hour wait and you selected that ride, then you would return to that ride in 2 hours and skip the line. The catch was, you could only choose 1 ride to queue up for at a time, so if you just selected a ride with a 2 hour wait, you'd have to find something to do for those 2 hours. Of course the obvious thing to do is simply wait in line for another ride, but on packed days, the shortest line in the park can be a good 90 minute wait. So we had to choose the order we went on the rides carefully and save the long waits for mealtimes.

I really loved the system, and not having to haul around the park to collect fastpasses and then backtrack to use them all.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Point made. :) I can see that being frustrating. Unfortunately, even if they come out with the XPass system, there will still be those that do not like it. Disney will never be able to please everyone all the time. There are plenty of things that they do that annoy me. :)
Anything they do will annoy some, if not most! :lol:

I've never been one to horde FPs and then madly use them all up at the end of the day, that seems "wrong" to me, though the current policies allow it. But having the flexibility to get there a little late due to other plans or unforeseen circumstances always seemed a reasonable thing. Losing that will disappoint me, briefly and I'll go with whatever they come up with and make the most of it. :king:

NEmickeyfan

:brick::brick::brick::brick::brick::brick::brick:

No, No, No......it's rider/guest redistribution and wait normalization.

Consider this:

You arrive at the TSMM fast pass kiosk after a fairly hellacious running of the bulls immediately following rope drop. You secure fast passes for you and yours with a return time of 1:20-2:15.

You turn and look at the line and see a 45 minute wait (which, incidentally, was 5 minutes when you first swiped your tickets in the kiosk :eek: )....

How is waiting 260 minutes = 45 minutes? The idea that FP is a place holder is only valid at the very infrequent situations when the current standby time is equal to the fast pass return time. (I won't address the time you wait after the merge, even with a fast pass, for simplicity sake).

As a general rule, the standby time is significantly lower than the time you must wait for the fast pass return time....So you take your fast passes and go elsewhere in the park (rider/guest redistribution achieved). You also find yourself, as park guests with FPs, returning at pre-determined times in pre-determined numbers....(wait normalization, to the extent possible, achieved).

People need to eject this mindset of convenience. It's not a convenience. It's not some imaginary ghost of Walt Disney himself holding a place for you in line wanting to 'plus' your experience for you. It's Meg Crofton and her legion of MBA-toting pencil pushers trying to find ways to make you spend more money, instead of waiting on a line. A truly brilliant move is one designed to make you feel like you're getting a benefit, even though you're being manipulated. FP is a textbook example....

Last time i checked, it was a personal decision to get a fast pass. If you want to wait 45 minutes for the ride.... go right ahead. You can wait in line for the posted wait time.... or you can get a fast pass, go do something else for a while... and return without waiting. I choose the later.

Scuttle

In all my years of going to the parks I have never seen a CM let a guest in even one minute early to a fast pass queue.

I've been let in early at TT and Space before. But me and GF had two tickets 5 minutes off, so I think in those circumstances they are a bit lenient.

Tom Morrow

Exactly.

Yeah, you read me right all you ride operators allowing flash photography!!!
Most of the time its not so much allowing flash photography, its that, what is worse? the flashes? or interrupting the ride's show to spiel for them to turn off their camera's flash?

graphite1326

Amen Drum. I remember before fastpass, if you visited during the summer time, there was no way around the absurd queue times.
You don't have to go around and buy things while you wait for your time window on the fastpass. You can do many more attractions and see more of the park if you know how to use the fastpass system effectively. That's a fact.

I think the magic word is "buy" you have time to go around and buy things until your fastpass takes affect. Instead of standing in line. Smart move on Disney's part. I wonder how much "residual" money they gained by implementing fast pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom