The fabulous 'Tony Baxter Tour of Disneyland' - a venture

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Oh wow...

Here i am minding my own business...just put some 'closure' to the Tour ...and i find THIS:

A photo of Tony Baxter standing in Frontierland, in front of Ray Bradbury's 'Halloween Tree'.....posted by the Orange County News.
Date photo was listed as taken -
Friday, September 13th 2013.

Whoa..!

So does this mean Tony was actually THERE when i was in the Park that day...??
This was the Villians Event/Haunted Mansion Holiday re-opening day for those keeping track of the saga....

I am stunned at the realization that this photo seems to tell me he was around that day.
If i only knew..!

I passed by this tree twice that day....maybe i should have spent more time admiring it!

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Thank you Dr. Jones..and thanks for taking the journey with me.

It was quite an adventure, and if adventure has a first name, well...you know the rest..!

:)

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Thought i would share a recent photo i found of Mr. Baxter that reminded me a lot of one of my favorite photos i snapped while on my Tour.
The recent news of his Main Street Window Ceremony taking place this week has caused a whole flood of memories to return, including the missed encounter.

Here is the photo i snapped ....

And here is a similar photo taken last week of the man himself in the same area...not taken by me.
Wish i could say otherwise!

Just thought it was neat to see the two photos together.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Some more photos i felt would make charming additions to this thread.

Last week Tony took a photographer from the Orange County Register on a tour around Disneyland for a photo shoot for a article about his upcoming Main Street Window Ceremony.

You could say this was the 'official version' of a 'Tony Baxter Tour of Disneyland'...looking at these.
They hit all the hot spots on the Baxterland Map..!

Original article from OCR, now updated with photos from the Ceremony :
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/baxter-532664-disney-disneyland.html

Tony talking about his desire to bring the Subs back.
I love this photo, as it reminds me so much of the time i spent standing in this same spot gazing at the lagoon and simply enjoying the ambiance of the moment.

Tony pointing out some of the details in Fantasy Faire, now one of his favorite places in the Park.
Quite touching that 'where he began' is where he ended up 'completing' the circle of his active career..in some respects.
Very nice...not everyone gets to do that.

Tony with his pride and joy...still his all time favorite attraction project he worked on.
You can tell he is still very happy about it !

Tony reminiscing about his youth outside of the Enchanted Tiki Room.

The original article posted above stated something i never knew -
One of his first non-model related design projects at WDI soon after he was hired was to design the flowers that dangle from the large tree Tiki in the Enchanted Tiki Garden. During the course of this fun pre-show, a large Tiki God that appears as a huge tree drops smaller tikis from it's overhead blossoms.
Those blossoms that Tony designed are still there and in use to this day.

Readers here may recall this photo to took while on my venture....

It shows the tree, and blossoms, in the background.
If i only knew then, what i know now!

Still a fitting photo i refer to as a 'toast to Tony'.
Little did i suspect this was a more fitting tribute then i realized at the time!

Another great story the photo of Tony outside of the Tiki Room reminds me of is the one he told of the hungry sacrifice he made to see the Enchanted Tiki Room soon after it opened.

He used to get dropped off at the Park by his Mom as a teen for the day with some money for buying attraction admission coupons and for lunch.
DL was at that time in the 60s amidst it's original 'Ticket Book' media admission concept. To experience a attraction, one had to pay each time to ride or see a presentation via the famous 'E,D,C,B,A' ticket book coupons.

One day Tony went to see the Tiki Room for the first time and instantly became fascinated with the concept.
He HAD to see this experience again, so he paid for another 'E-coupon' and saw the show again.
He still had a little money left for lunch....but after the second showing he was still in awe and gave up the last of his lunch money to buy another admission.

Dedicated indeed....but he spent a hungry afternoon in the Park afterwards.
I would be willing to bet however that he felt it was worth the sacrifice, however!

;)

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Chapter Two is upon us, fair readers....

My the grand things that have happened since i last posted in this thread.
Not to get into details, but the 'grand things' inspired and influenced my decision to return to Disneyland for another visit this May.

So yes....in nine days i shall return for the next chapter in the saga.

*Return to Baxterland* - the next Venture

This will be a very different experience compared to last time, as it seems my timing for this visit puts several Attractions on the 'closed for refurb' list...including some Tony-related gems.
Ironic, as the ONE big Attraction i so wanted to include in the last venture was closed ( 'Tony's Mountain'..aka BTMR ) but everything else was open.
This time, it is the reverse! But hey, i will at least get my fill of riding the rails over in Frontierland this visit.
IJA, the Subs, and other long time faves will have to be passed by this time.

I debated whether or not i should resurrect this thread, but did'nt feel a real need to start a new one.
It was always meant to be a 'continuing story'...so i finally caved in and decided to make the move.

This visit will be more about atmosphere i think...instead of Attractions..mostly because of so many being closed this time around.
But this can be a excellent motivator to get out into the Park ( and elsewhere ) and explore some areas i may have passed over last time.
I can already think of several spots i kind of swept through that could do with some more exploring.

So it is my hope that i can continue what was a fun thread and maybe provide additional insights, or at the very least add some additional neat photos.

As always, special preparations have been made for the upcoming visit.
You just cannot got to 'Baxterland' without bringing along something to keep your money on....and these serve the purpose rather well, and completely 'in theme'!

Yes, these are real GCs, folks.

Also felt a desire to paint a new themed t-shirt to wear while in town....a tradition that goes back quite a few years for me.
I painted this reproduction of Tony's famous 'Discovery Bay' concept artwork onto a t-shirt.
Hand painted...not printed.
This took two weeks to drawn and then paint onto the fabric, and it looks even better in person!

The ultimate hardcore fan attire?
You can decide for yourself.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Awesome tee shirt! How did you get the gift cards like that? I'm looking forward to hearing about your next adventure.

Thanks for the compliments and interest.

The gift cards....they were custom made.
Here is the 3rd in the Baxterland *series*....

Collect them all, kids !

In actuality, you are able to make up your own DGC with whatever photos you wish at the official Disney Gift Card website for a small fee.

Since you liked my Discovery Bay tee, here is another photo showing the creation process -

A small copy of the original watercolor painting image by Tony ( upper left ) is hand traced to create a line drawing ( upper right ).
The text and scroll design i drew separately and then added to the line drawing to make it look like a actual t-shirt graphic.

Next the line drawing is enlarged slightly to the desired size and then hand traced onto the t-shirt fabric via a homemade light box.
Light shines through the paper line drawing, through the fabric and is retraced directly onto the shirt in thin permanent marker.

After this step the colors are all painted in...slowly layer by layer...with flexible fabric paints.
This design required over 35+ custom mixed hues to emulate the look of Tony*s original watercolor artwork.
The scraps of paper shown on either side of the finished shirt (center )show only a few of the various mixed paints used.

The final touch was a reflective copper colored paint used for the lettering on the scroll.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Three days to go before the next chapter begins.
I already have some new ideas for places to visit.
Open to suggestions of course....feel free to offer some.

With so many Attractions closed for refrubs this time around, i plan on focusing more on ambiance, atmosphere, and checking out some spots i have yet to explore.
Oh.....and photographing some of the details of the Castle from a closer perspective is on the list, too.
I really like that iridescent paint application on Sleeping Beauty Castle.

Have i expressed yet how elated i am to not have to fly into LAX this time around..?

When you *Return to Baxterland*, there is only ONE airport choice that fits the theme - Santa Ana/Orange County, baby!

Have never had the pleasure until now, mostly because of timing, pricing, and the like...but this time it works out.
Looking forward to it...among many others things.
It will also be a treat to pass through there, as it will be the first time in my visits to CA that i will not have to take the *Mara eye* back home...due to the flight restrictions at that airport.

Woo !

Last edited:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Thanks for the compliments and interest.

The gift cards....they were custom made.
Here is the 3rd in the Baxterland *series*....

Collect them all, kids !

In actuality, you are able to make up your own DGC with whatever photos you wish at the official Disney Gift Card website for a small fee.

Since you liked my Discovery Bay tee, here is another photo showing the creation process -

A small copy of the original watercolor painting image by Tony ( upper left ) is hand traced to create a line drawing ( upper right ).
The text and scroll design i drew separately and then added to the line drawing to make it look like a actual t-shirt graphic.

Next the line drawing is enlarged slightly to the desired size and then hand traced onto the t-shirt fabric via a homemade light box.
Light shines through the paper line drawing, through the fabric and is retraced directly onto the shirt in thin permanent marker.

After this step the colors are all painted in...slowly layer by layer...with flexible fabric paints.
This design required over 35+ custom mixed hues to emulate the look of Tony*s original watercolor artwork.
The scraps of paper shown on either side of the finished shirt (center )show only a few of the various mixed paints used.

The final touch was a reflective copper colored paint used for the lettering on the scroll.

I'm impressed with the amount of work and patience it too to make the shirt. Wear it well and don't spill on it!!!

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Well the "Return To Baxterland" venture is off to a unusual start.
Arrived in Sana Ana yesterday afternoon after a adventurous flight experience right in theme with this visit.
Totally unexpected, but then again, the most memorable bits are usually just that sometimes.
;)

The flight into Orange County was where a nice little surprise happened.
While flying over Utah i noticed the plane started going around in circles.
After about 10 minutes of this back and forth flight pattern the Captain comes on and tells everyone on board that the main computer that tracks all the air traffic in the Los Angeles area is down, and NO flights currently in the air are being allowed in the airspace at any of the surrounding airports.
He then goes on to talk about how we might be circling over this particular part of Utah for about a half hour, and we might have to think about landing soon to fill up on additional fuel.

Yeah.....so....
While everyone on board is starting to see images of us all running out of fuel and drama unfolding, i am sitting in my cushy seat secretly bouncing up and down in a slighlty giddy state internally as we are circling directly above and around BRYCE CANYON!
Peering out of the window it was quite a visual feast to behold.
It was awesome!

So those familiar with the history behind the creation of Tony Baxter's first major attraction creation, 'Big Thunder Mountain Railroad' will probably understand the meaning.
Those not familiar -
Bryce Canyon in Utah was the visual inspiration for the overall look of 'Tony's Mountain' ( aka BTMR )
There is a great story he has told in the past of how when he was working on the project back in the day and looking for some visual references, he was checking out some issues of National Geographic Magazine.
He came across a article featuring Bryce Canyon, and one of the quotes under a photo remarked that the natural scenery of it all 'looked like something Walt Disney created'.
So he immediately took that to heart and decided to try out a few designs under that approach.
There is some lovely artwork he drew showing the Bryce influence that is 'out there'.

A nice start to the next chapter.
Off to the Park now...it is a stunningly beautiful ( but quite warm ) day here in Anaheim!

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Well thanks, Dr. Jones.
Nice to see you here again.

Today was all about Big Thunder Mountain.

The new additions made to 'Tony's Mountain' here in Baxterland are a great plus.
Of course nobody reading this probably needs to be told that at this point, but i wanted to stress how nice they are in person.
I avoided 'spoilers' and refused to watch video sneak peeks as i wanted to experience it first hand, with no pre-expectations.
Glad i did it, and i personally found the finale effects experience to have a greater visual impact and more impressive at night.

As much as i love the original cave in finale, this new addition was well worth waiting the year to experience.
As is no secret, i adore BTMR with a passion for several reasons, and although i prefer the rougher ride and seemingly more tighter spiral turns at WDW, DL's 'original' is awesome.

Rode four times...the 2nd best ride i ever had on the Attraction on either coast was tonight's last ride of the night.
Had the back car full of 'Mountain' fans and it was great.

SPOILER for those who may wish to wait until they ride themselves -

-------------------------------------------------------

Love the fact that WDI added scent to the scene.
A nice surprise ...i was not expecting to be smelling 'Burning Rome' in the mine shafts!

-------------------------------------------------------

SPOILER over...

Some more thoughts on the topic -

The replacement rails make for a very smooth ride....a little too smooth.
I personally liked the rougher ride, as it seemed to fit in with the rough n' tumble abandoned mining operation.
Still it is great to see Tony's famous Attraction getting such love and set on a course to keep it in a state to take it through the NEXT 35 years.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

I have to say that Tony's Main Street Window is even more beautiful and impressive in person.
Photos do NOT capture it's real appearance, as there are finer details present and the glint of the gold paint applied to the glass is a glorious sight.
Looking up at it with my own eyes was a nice personal moment.

I was delighted to find more 'bits o' Tony' scattered about in the most unlikely of places.
Lots of photos coming post-visit, but a brief overview would include 'Tony's Corner' now on display over at the Opera House, a surprise sighting of a representation of him over at 'Tony's Mountain', and some great Cast interactions at Cafe Orleans and said 'Mountain' yesterday.

Speaking of that Mountain...rode another four times yesterday...back car/back row all the way. Row # 15 is your friend, Baxter fans..!
Really enjoying getting more 'aquainted' with the Original after being far too familiar with the WDW version.
I love the queue here in Baxterland. I could spent about an hour just looking over everything there...and then some.

Off to explore some more ....so much more there waiting to be discovered.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
The combination of crowds, Attraction closures, and the heat have somewhat forced me into areas of the Park I probably would not have found myself in.

Some fun little unexpected discoveries have been made because of it.
Lots of photos to share in the coming weeks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom