The epic Marvel debate massive

Status
Not open for further replies.

trr1

Marvel - Howard The Duck - No.5 - Sept,1976 by DaddyNewt, on Flickr
The ultimate in Marvel/Lucas/Disney potential
Howard the Duck- Great theme park attractions await along with a Howard cigar store. Kiddies love Howard!
howard-the-duck-original.jpg

what a movie !!

bethymouse

I can't believe Lea Thompson was in that Howard the Duck movie!:eek:
I guess I am one that still can't get her head around the concept of a Disney Marvel "marriage"!:eek:

bubbles1812

Concept art leaked of It's A Smarvel World!!

smallworld_145.jpg

Spider-Man looks quite depressed there. So does Hulk actually. I think it's probably because they've been listening to the song too long. Sooner or later they'll go crazy... Only one who seems to be enjoying himself is The Green Goblin and that's probably because he was already crazy to begin with. ;)

PeterAlt

Original Poster
Just to let everyone know who may think I'm crazy to have the various opinions that I have... The other day, I went out for dinner with my sister and her friend who's a lawyer. I was trying to talk everyone into going to LTM on May 24th. Since we were on the subject of Disney, I brought up all my issues that the majority here disagree with.

1) On Marvel, he said allowing Uni to own theme park rights east of the Mississippi weakens the value of those rights elsewhere and for other uses.

2) I showed him the satellite images of what I suspect could be a planned location for new gate. He totally agrees that would be an idea location and that there are probably long term plans being drawn up for the eventual use of this parcel for that purpose. He said, legally, it makes perfect sense to start the planning 10 or 15 years even before such a project is actually green lit.

3) On monorail, he said money is not a factor for a company this large. He said they probably are waiting until the entire property is built up first before building the new system.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Just to let everyone know who may think I'm crazy to have the various opinions that I have... The other day, I went out for dinner with my sister and her friend who's a lawyer. I was trying to talk everyone into going to LTM on May 24th. Since we were on the subject of Disney, I brought up all my issues that the majority here disagree with.

1) On Marvel, he said allowing Uni to own theme park rights east of the Mississippi weakens the value of those rights elsewhere and for other uses.

Did he read the contract? Did he explain how this weakens those rights?

2) I showed him the satellite images of what I suspect could be a planned location for new gate. He totally agrees that would be an idea location and that there are probably long term plans being drawn up for the eventual use of this parcel for that purpose. He said, legally, it makes perfect sense to start the planning 10 or 15 years even before such a project is actually green lit.

I showed them to my family doctor and he agrees and I trust him because, you know, doctors know everything about theme park planning ;) Disney does have expansion plans 10 to 15 years out (the RCID master plan), but that land isn't the area planned or an additional park.

3) On monorail, he said money is not a factor for a company this large. He said they probably are waiting until the entire property is built up first before building the new system.

No matter how large a company is, money is always an issue. I worked for a 37 billion dollar a year company but they gave me a hard time about getting a $35.00 magazine subscription.

PeterAlt

Original Poster
Did he read the contract? Did he explain how this weakens those rights?

I showed them to my family doctor and he agrees and I trust him because, you know, doctors know everything about theme park planning ;) Disney does have expansion plans 10 to 15 years out (the RCID master plan), but that land isn't the area planned or an additional park.

No matter how large a company is, money is always an issue. I worked for a 37 billion dollar a year company but they gave me a hard time about getting a $35.00 magazine subscription.
You know it's amazing how good my track record on predicting things has been. On this board I predicted that if Eisner were forced out, construction at WDW would come to a screatching halt, while everyone said I was crazy and that the pace of construction would not change. I was right. Over on the Star Wars boards I claimed that there were secret plans for a new trilogy and GL was lying when he said otherwise. I was cold every name in the book for having such an opinion. Several months later I was proven right by the news of the merger. On the space boards, I was laughed at for claiming that the Russians would eventually expand their section of the space station with the addition of new modules. As it turns out, the Russians eventually funded these modules and they are now scheduled for launch. Again, I was right. All of this has been against popular opinion.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
You know it's amazing how good my track record on predicting things has been. On this board I predicted that if Eisner were forced out, construction at WDW would come to a screatching halt, while everyone said I was crazy and that the pace of construction would not change. I was right. Over on the Star Wars boards I claimed that there were secret plans for a new trilogy and GL was lying when he said otherwise. I was cold every name in the book for having such an opinion. Several months later I was proven right by the news of the merger. On the space boards, I was laughed at for claiming that the Russians would eventually expand their section of the space station with the addition of new modules. As it turns out, the Russians eventually funded these modules and they are now scheduled for launch. Again, I was right. All of this has been against popular opinion.

I also predicted the new Star Wars movies...

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/dhs-cars-land.846133/page-88#post-5130293

WDWGoof07

How exactly does the Universal deal weaken the value of the theme park rights for any location outside of the region covered by the deal?

As I understand it, the Marvel rights were a very good deal for Universal because Marvel was desperate for cash at the time that IOA was being planned. The Marvel island is one of the most popular areas in the entire Universal Orlando resort. Spider-Man and Hulk are signature attractions for Universal, and both rides are still prominent in their advertisements. The licensing fees that Universal pays are pretty small. The deal works out nicely for Marvel, too; they get a check every year and some free promotion for their comic book characters out of it. Disney's acquisition of Marvel doesn't change any of that.

Marvel's characters have probably reached the peak of their popularity and value now, and their popularity is not going to wane anytime soon. Universal is just not going to give up their rights, which they hold in perpetuity, in the foreseeable future. They have absolutely no interest in negotiating with Disney at this point in time.

Disney is not interested in buying out Universal for the Marvel rights in the eastern U.S. As I said, Universal would never agree to commence negotiations at this point in time. Even if Universal did enter negotiations with Disney, the price they could demand from Disney would outweigh any potential returns on a WDW Marvel-themed ride. People on these boards complain that Disney doesn't like to spend money on new attractions for WDW as it is. Disney is not clamoring to build much of anything, Marvel or otherwise, in Florida right now, and even if they did they're definitely not going to go to the extra expense of buying out Universal's contract just to build a few rides when they can simply use some other popular IP that won't cost them one extra cent.

Anyway, I've said my piece. I think that's enough seriousness for this thread, so, everyone else, don't mind me - feel free to carry on with your tomfoolery and shenanigans. (The first few pages were pretty entertaining to read...)

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

Links?

PeterAlt

Original Poster
The Star Wars boards were outright hostile toward the idea. They believed GL could not tell a lie and it was blasphemy to say otherwise. I even went as far as to say that if GL doesn't make them, he would sell it so someone else would make them. That was even more blasphemous. GL was quoted as saying he wouldn't sell it. He said this during the time period it was disclosed that he was talking to Disney, so that was an even worse lie. The grief I got over that thread unbelievable.

On the space boards, in recent months, I made another very unpopular prediction that I'm still fighting over. I said, despite the current political situation, the planned Chinese Space Station will become a new addition to the ISS. I say this because they will realize that having two separate space stations benefits no one, but everyone benefits if combined.

Magenta Panther

I canNOT understand why any Disney fan would be excited about a Marvel ride or Marvel land being built anywhere in a Disney park. Talk about destroying the ambience, to say the least. If you want Marvel, go to freaking Universal! Jeez...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom