Rumor The EPCOT Hotel

danlb_2000

Premium Member
His screenshot shows Buena Vista Construction as General Contractor? I thought Buena Vista was Disney's in house team that did not do these big projects? Or do them just handle the permitting for this stuff?

There are a number of problems with this.

-BVCC would not be the general contractor on a new hotel
-The address is 2000 Avenue of the Stars is the Inoventions West area
-vertical construction in 30 days: This would almost certainly need a South Florida Water Management Permit which hasn't been filed yet.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

-vertical construction in 30 days: This would almost certainly need a South Florida Water Management Permit which hasn't been filed yet.
Yep.

We seem to go through this same cycle each time a new YT video emerges.

We are seeing none of the usual signs that anything like this is happening - particularly something as major.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Yep.

We seem to go through this same cycle each time a new YT video emerges.

We are seeing none of the usual signs that anything like this is happening - particularly something as major.
I have a theory...

The screenshot shows Gensler as the architect and that this was first filed in August of 2018...

Gensler was the architect on the Swan Reserve which was announced in September of 2018.

Nubs70

Vertical in 30 days?? Highly doubtful unless they classify excavation and back filling "vertical"

Andrew25

There is some additional clearing just behind the bus loops (not the expanded pickup area) that looks like it has been expanded recently. No foundation work or drilling just yet, but it does look like something in the works, even if it's just land clearing now.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
There is some additional clearing just behind the bus loops (not the expanded pickup area) that looks like it has been expanded recently. No foundation work or drilling just yet, but it does look like something in the works, even if it's just land clearing now.

Here is a photo from March 17th showing that area. That land clearing has been there for a couple years.

1682090160042.png

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I have a theory...

The screenshot shows Gensler as the architect and that this was first filed in August of 2018...

Gensler was the architect on the Swan Reserve which was announced in September of 2018.

On the other side though, the permit to clear this land for possible future development was approved in early 2018, and they could be using the same architect.

matt9112

I wish they would you know fix wonders of life before any kind of absurd Hotel. But I guess DVC makes the world go round.

Sir_Cliff

Find it hard to get too energised about this hotel one way or the other if it is located off to the side of the park and can be largely ignored.

I don't have much faith that it will be up to the standard of the WDW hotels sitting on nearby Crescent Lake given Disney's recent hotel architecture, so in the respect I'd rather they just didn't build any new hotels until they reconsidered their embrace of nondescript hotel towers and hostility to themed hotel design. Not sure there's much hope of that, though.

James Alucobond

Find it hard to get too energised about this hotel one way or the other if it is located off to the side of the park and can be largely ignored.

I don't have much faith that it will be up to the standard of the WDW hotels sitting on nearby Crescent Lake given Disney's recent hotel architecture, so in the respect I'd rather they just didn't build any new hotels until they reconsidered their embrace of nondescript hotel towers and hostility to themed hotel design. Not sure there's much hope of that, though.
A somewhat modern hotel would at least be more aesthetically appropriate here than elsewhere, similar to the Contemporary with its Tomorrowland adjacency.

Sir_Cliff

A somewhat modern hotel would at least be more aesthetically appropriate here than elsewhere, similar to the Contemporary with its Tomorrowland adjacency.
True, but I'm not sure Disney's take on modern hotel architecture is particularly inspired.

For example, even without the thinly-applied decorations, the Riviera Resort is a fairly ungainly and, IMO, ugly example of hotel architecture. We'll see about the new DVC tower at the Polynesian, but the artwork makes it look like a mid-range suburban apartment building. None of them really seem to take the site into account in terms of their design, basically being towers that could be plopped down on a block of land anywhere.

I can imagine the proximity to Future World would just serve as an excuse to pare back the theming more than usual and rely on some photographs or vaguely mid-century modern finishings to elevate a pretty bland hotel tower.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom